What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Generic Terpenators Operating Manual

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Grateful one, in that pdf under PTFE gaskets(pg.27) it mentions that they are not recommended for high pressure clamps. Why is that?

I was just thinking of switching all of my gaskets to ptfe because they are much more heavy duty in my eyes.

I am not able to use PTFE on the MKIII's 6" spool, because I can't create a seal with the thumb clamp.

I use PTFE at all kinds of 2 - 4" connections on the 12" BHOgart system I use.

I need to get pressure clamps, but for me PTFE is much nicer than bunaN or Viton.

:joint:

Grateful one, in that pdf under PTFE gaskets(pg.27) it mentions that they are not recommended for high pressure clamps. Why is that?

I was just thinking of switching all of my gaskets to ptfe because they are much more heavy duty in my eyes.

I am not sure right now. If you notice the flanged gaskets say the same thing. Maybe the gasket flows out and creates interferance with the clamp? I am going to call Dixon and Rubberfab and ask the engineers. I will report back.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PTFE cold flows. It is used extensively in cryogenic applications, but In critical designs, the seal is contained so that it has no place to flow.

Alliknowisgrow

Building out one of these to save money. Ive been searching for 2 hours and can't seem to find the answer to my question.

Is there a reason the 3 set stainless hoses from terpenator is $488, I Found similar ones with JIC fittings on amazon for 1/4 the price. Will the JIC fitting work? The difference being I can only find 5 foot ones instead of 6 foot but the pressure rating is similar.Do they need to be 6'?

And the first 1/4'' tubing the injects butane into the system is a male npt fitting on both sides right?

thank you for your help

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Building out one of these to save money. Ive been searching for 2 hours and can't seem to find the answer to my question.

Is there a reason the 3 set stainless hoses from terpenator is $488, I Found similar ones with JIC fittings on amazon for 1/4 the price. Will the JIC fitting work? The difference being I can only find 5 foot ones instead of 6 foot but the pressure rating is similar.Do they need to be 6'?

And the first 1/4'' tubing the injects butane into the system is a male npt fitting on both sides right?

thank you for your help

1/4 and 1/2" dual seated SAE/JIC hoses will work, as will 5' hoses.

Wanted to bump this for the plethora of information as well as a couple question/dialogues:

Got my entire system all leveled up! Soon I'll be buying the needed items to make my MKIII a BiDirectional System. But in the mean time I'll be running my MKIII passively as to avoid these poisonous pump problems I've been hearing rumors of....

I read that in order to run the MKIII passively we are going to want to move the injection concentric reducer to the top to make the system a top feed? That makes more sense because I was very confused to the oil-laden butane mixture going through the 3/8'' hoses I got.

I'm in the works of purchasing the all stainless JIC fittings for the Terrp which by my calculations is (3x) 1/4 Flare x 1/4 JIC and (1x) 3/8 Flare x 3/8 JIC. I still have to check in to see the quality of the brass in the fittings from DiscountHydralicHose to see if its all LeadFree... very important.

I was watching the BretMaverik Work Episodes with his Sweetleaf v3, and its got my wheels turning on building a rig for my MKIII - with out much access to a welder, do you think theres an alternative? I was thinking heavy straps and a drilled together metal (ss316) frame, blueprints coming soon.

I have purchased one hose that is a 3/8 SAE 45 x 1/4 JIC to run from my recovery valve to my recovery tank, is the SAE compatible with the NPT?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have purchased one hose that is a 3/8 SAE 45 x 1/4 JIC to run from my recovery valve to my recovery tank, is the SAE compatible with the NPT?

National Pipe Thread and JIC are different.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm aware but doesn't the 1/4 jic and NPT still seal each other? Is sae the same as NPT?

No, the JIC is a 37 degree flare fitting, the SAE a 45 degree flare fitting, and the NPT is a tapered pipe thread.

With dual seats or copper flare washers, we mate 1/4" and 1/2" JIC and SAE, but not 3/8".

Many of our fittings come with NPT tapered pipe threads on one end and JIC or SAE flare on the other.

piper434

Any opinions on 18 or 20" manways for collection pots. Seems like it will drastically improve recovery times. Rated for 60psi, tested to 70. Should be good right?

Latest posts

Latest posts