What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Gardening with ALMOST free supplys Grow 2011... Check it again!.

Manitoid

Some irrigation pics update:

Some irrigation pics update:

Here are just a few simple pictures of what Im using for the irrigation system. water only. 30 ft of 1/4" 1gph/ft drip line. Its called drip line but it sprays so ferocious that i had to put it under then mulch (straw). It does wet upward as well but doesnt spray/soak the plants this way:
picture.php

Further away more coils, needle nose pliers just for trunk size comparison:

picture.php

The hose is then connected to 1/2" distribution tubing. Connected to a spigot after a filter and a pressure regulator.

picture.php

And lastly a VERY HEARTY Indica, green crack, that has HUGE LEAVES...

This is one holding up a roll of teflon tape. Not heavy, but a feat for a LEAF STEM!!!!!

picture.php

Thanks for tuning in!

Manitoid!

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Manitoid

I love the update, and the reference and detail! I'd seen the irrigation and I was wanting to ask if it was essentially soaker hose.. I love the concept - been thinking about doing the same thing for my veggies. :) How long do you leave it on at a time?

And the Green Crack - what's the expectation on that in terms of harvey time? Do you expect that to be earlier than the others?

Just curious - I have a Green Candy (which some say is a Green Crack x Candy Kush, other say it's just Green Crack renamed).. It's at 44 days now, and the trichs look almost the same as my Blue Dragon at day 58.

Just wondering if yours is also a bit early, per the word. :)

Love the teflon tape reference. :D

Manitoid

Manitoid

I love the update, and the reference and detail! I'd seen the irrigation and I was wanting to ask if it was essentially soaker hose.. I love the concept - been thinking about doing the same thing for my veggies. :) How long do you leave it on at a time?

And the Green Crack - what's the expectation on that in terms of harvey time? Do you expect that to be earlier than the others?

Just curious - I have a Green Candy (which some say is a Green Crack x Candy Kush, other say it's just Green Crack renamed).. It's at 44 days now, and the trichs look almost the same as my Blue Dragon at day 58.

Just wondering if yours is also a bit early, per the word. :)

Love the teflon tape reference. :D

My green crack i have never had outdoors but it is one of my most favorite so far encountered as a grower. Check her out at: Juicy Pics of Juicy Nugs thread

As i remember she is the fastest in my indoor, so i expect her to be early October. Never had a plant finish in Sept. Started trimming last year October 1.

I put in enough line that i can leave it on for an hour for 30 gallons... which reminds me i left it on and came down here for too long... have to RUN
:moon:

Manitoid

Manitoid

Lets talk foliar feeding on the cheap

Lets talk foliar feeding on the cheap

Another expense on the farm is foliar feeding.

I had investigated brix mix specifically because Brix is important.

What i was looking at, as well at the real brix mix recipes can be found here---> some minor info on brix

Brix is essentially the sugar content of the plant. The higher the brix, or sugar content, the healthier the plant. There are some plants that at a certain level a brix they are considered "immune" to pests and disease.

We do not know what this level is for cannabis because not enough research has been done on that alone. But it CAN be said that a plant whose brix level is high is healthy and pest resistant

the studies in the link suggest that we do require a couple things in the foliar feeding, but that everything in the actually brix mix may be unneeded when gardening on the cheap is a concern.

So this is what we are using for our brix formula. we will maybe add a thing or two. one thing i may want is a cheap, organic surfacant.

1 oz liquid kelp
1 tbs molasses
1 oz Age old grow --- not needed for brix, but good stuff
1 gallon clean R/O water

Kelp and sugar are KNOWN from studies (see link) to improve brix.

BUT WHAT?!?! the ALMOST free supplies grow bought some products from the store.. NO?!?! yes, but at least not the hydro store... Garden supply stores are often cheaper, and owned by some guy. supporting local business. So i do buy a product one in a while when it is WORTH it.

Im trying to make the best medicine I can and I am going to focus on brix this year. Cost analysis will break down into about $50 on the year spent on brix foliar. Since this is on a scale of the biggest outdoor grow available to a Colorado personal Caregiver, i figure $50 on the year is money well spent, and ALMOST free...

Other than brix foliar, we will foliar with our compost teas we fertilise with. But the 2 gallons it takes to foliar the whole greenhouse will be taken out of the 250 gallon batches brewed, so compost tea foliar cost is negligible.

If changes occur in the home brix sauce, i will update the ingredients and cost accordingly, as we'll keep track for the end cost / lb analysis

(last year was $11.11 / lb, and this year we want hit $10/lb)

:laughing:

I will also post where we are at as a running total when i get to it.

I sprayed the brix juice on this morning, so we'll get so photos of happy plants going later today

Thanks, as always, for tuning in!

Manitoid

T

Trinity Gold

Hey bro some Fish Powder or hydrolyzed fish will really go a long way for ya with the rest of the stuff you're wanting to use...

organic P

i too, was thinking along those same lines regarding cheap brix foliar. what are your thoughts on combining these simple ingredients with an aact? A true aact with no manures or ferts. The molasses and kelp would provide extra food for the bacteria and fungi... two birds one stone?

T

Trinity Gold

Just to throw down a note - If you make compost tea with molasses it will have almost ZERO fungi in it..Molasses makes the bacteria population go ape shit !

organic P

Just to throw down a note - If you make compost tea with molasses it will have almost ZERO fungi in it..Molasses makes the bacteria population go ape shit !

this is the tea i had in mind, do u think bacteria would dominate this? or are you simply of the opinion that bacterial teas and fungal teas are more easily brewed separately?

in a 5 gallon brewer: handful each ewc/hummus
tbsp molasses
tbsp azomite
tbsp soluble kelp
tbsp hydrosylate
3tbsp fulpower
then after brewing and diluting add the "brix mix" manitoid described above. Or is it simply better to separate the two into different applications?

apologies if this has veered too far from your thread.

Manitoid

Hey bro some Fish Powder or hydrolyzed fish will really go a long way for ya with the rest of the stuff you're wanting to use...

Are you suggesting using fish as part of AACT tea foliar or part of the brix enhancing foliar?

First ingredient in Age Old Grow is fish. :)

this is the tea i had in mind, do u think bacteria would dominate this? or are you simply of the opinion that bacterial teas and fungal teas are more easily brewed separately?

in a 5 gallon brewer: handful each ewc/hummus
tbsp molasses
tbsp azomite
tbsp soluble kelp
tbsp hydrosylate
3tbsp fulpower
then after brewing and diluting add the "brix mix" manitoid described above. Or is it simply better to separate the two into different applications?

apologies if this has veered too far from your thread.

brix juice is for brix, tea is for fertiliser. I do not know yet that my "brix juice" will improve brix. time = tell.

And in response, I have never used hydrosylate, full power, or azomite, so i have no basis to offer an answer for you.

I hope i wasn't too annoyed, but maybe next time you could ask your questions in "
nutrients and Fertilisers" or "Organic Soil" or "New Growers"... or if you are down with a slightly more annoyed response, try "Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science"

EDIT: My Jokes too dry? haha sorry. I gave him + K

i too, was thinking along those same lines regarding cheap brix foliar. what are your thoughts on combining these simple ingredients with an aact? A true aact with no manures or ferts. The molasses and kelp would provide extra food for the bacteria and fungi... two birds one stone?

My base aact would be EWC, Molasses, Kelp. I had considered them at the same time. but i am going to go with different times. feels right. one spray for fertilising, one spray for plant sugar levels. I prefer my AACTS with gauno and ferts though.

T

Trinity Gold

Hey bro I just think that a fish product like Organic Gem is going to be a little better quality and you'll get more of it than the whatever small % that age old grow has fish you know? That stuff is bomb and I use it so do not think I am saying Age Old is bad at all in fact it grows trees! I'm just sayin for your compost tea and brix sprays adding a high quality fish will really take you to the next level.

organic P - not to digress too far from mantoids wonderful thread but I will answer because it may help some one else too, fungal tea and bacterial tea can not be brewed together...I am basing this information on field trials by Dr Elaine Ingham and the Compost Tea Yahoo! user group...The bacteria eats the fungus. The two require different ratios of foods as well. For fungal teas the best is kelp , rock dusts , vermicompost , fish hydrosylate , yucca extract.

Manitoid

Hey bro I just think that a fish product like Organic Gem is going to be a little better quality and you'll get more of it than the whatever small % that age old grow has fish you know? That stuff is bomb and I use it so do not think I am saying Age Old is bad at all in fact it grows trees! I'm just sayin for your compost tea and brix sprays adding a high quality fish will really take you to the next level.

yeah i was just wondering if you were tlaking about compost tea or brix foliar... and you were talking about both.

I have bought the ingredients for my teas in BULK already so ill have to be going with it... which is kelp, ewc, guano, molasses, rock dust, touch of POM starter for humic and innoculant (lots of bacteria & fungi present)

back to bacteria vs fungi, again my question is... fungi for flowering and bacterial for vegging or what?

T

Trinity Gold

No they aren't time specific ... They both are helpful and should be used in constant rotation.

Manitoid

No they aren't time specific ... They both are helpful and should be used in constant rotation.

Okay Check... now the Q is. since bacteria eats the fungi, is pouring on a bacterial tea after a fungi to at least some degree half eating the fungi?

I guess its a jungle down there on the microscopic level. Some of microbeman's videos are intense (like the circus).

I love the nematodes. They fuck shit up!

and are you seriously saying ZERO molasses for fungal tea?

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Well, don't bacteria feed on other shit than Molasses in the soil?
Aren't the bacteria feeding on Molasses because we are trying to colonize our tank with bacteria, to inoculate our substrate?
:blowbubbles:

Manitoid

brix test update.

brix test update.

I do not know yet about brix levels, but my foliar feed WAS effective! The plants were greener a few hours later and perky to the max. They have not stood leaves higher than a few hours after spray. Not sure if it was the fertilising effect of the age old or the brix effect of Kelp / Molasses... BUT check it!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

PERKY AREN'T THEY!

And the blue goo today... the blue goo ladies are getting out of hand.

August 1st last year, 2010:

picture.php

Now June 21 2011... about to be as tall as me... 6 weeks before last year was waist high! terrified... with delight!

picture.php

Thanks again... experiment 1 has home made cheap brix rip(off) as a success. has me intrigued enough to want to go buy a brix meter!

Manitoid

Manitoid

mini update

mini update

Been a little while, heres some pics of where we stand today

Blueberry:

picture.php

Day in ground:

picture.php

Blue Go 6/26

picture.php

24 days ago:

picture.php

WW:

picture.php

WW before:

picture.php

Saw tooth Now:

picture.php

Saw tooth june 2:

picture.php

I know i repost old pictures, but its just so we can all see the growth glory these ladies are giving us!

Thanks, again, for tuning in!

Manitoid

haxi

They look so great man! Great work :)

Your mulching is awesome! I'm sure the ladies love that :)

You're doing it the great way!

Peace :rasta:

Manitoid

Brix appication 2...

Brix appication 2...

Weve sprayed the on the cheap "brix rips" it contains:

liquid kelp @ oz / 2 gallon sprayer

Molasses @ TBS/ gallon

Age Old Grow @ TBS / gallon

ADDED THIS TIME:
organic phosphate free liquid soap @ hefty teaspoon for the 2 gallon sprayer... adding the surficant was a great idea as coverage was way better than huge water droplets.

I live in the land of yucca, so i think im going to go dig one out for their natural surficant qualities... you need the root, and yuccas are a BITCH to dig out, even in desert sand.

Heres the sawtooth on 6/21 this is for a ONE WEEK growth comparison.

picture.php

one week later, notice the name stake between the two... seriously awe striking for one week of growth. If i did not take pictures, id never appreciate how expansive the ganja is Outdoors!

picture.php

base of plant by the occasional farming motivator

picture.php

our third LST lesson lady, on 6/19:

picture.php

and yesterday, almost unrecognisable. Hell its even had a pruning to air it out since 6/19!

picture.php

and one green crack on 6/8, maybe smallest in GH:

picture.php

now yesturday, two neighboring GC sisters... both looked like previous pic 3 weeks ago

picture.php

Now white widow, one week of growth: 6/20

picture.php

6/28... just a LITTLE difference, and a pruning air out.

picture.php

View from the front!

picture.php

there ya have it... things grow... does anyone get sick of the comparison shots, like it takes up too much space to do them ALL the time?

for me the comparisons blow my mind, and i like sharing mind blowing.

thanks for tuning in

Manitoid

Latest posts

Latest posts