What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Gardening with ALMOST free supplys Grow 2011... Check it again!.

:watchplant::lurk:

Will be watching this close to see what i can learn.

Think maybe you might be able to give me some first hand help on my grow??? Maybe i can pay you with some labor to help you while getting taught??? There are some pics of what mine is doing under my albums. I hope to have time to get a diary going after i get out of the hospital next week.

I realy need some-one who has GOOD experience to look over my grow and clue me in on any problems. It is impossible to go over everything on the net. I would be willing to help you any way i can in exchange for that.

Manitoid

The FUCKING FINALLY AN UPDATE update

The FUCKING FINALLY AN UPDATE update

stuff keeps moving along here.

We have narrowed down, from flowering test cuts, the outdoor stock to only 3-4 strains. All the other candidates were giving me hell in the indoor! Herms seeding my shit. "friends" bringing bugged candidates over.

Sigh. we have climbed over that hump and are left with:

DJS Blueberry... fat nugs on a pheno with only minor purple hues, stanky

DJS Flo... affectionately called flypaper in our indoor, because more than one house fly was literally stuck dead to the nugs. Got stuck, high until death.

Saw Tooth... Didnt seem awesome until it finished strong. I see them every day, so i wasnt convinced until the trimmers claimed it was the stickiest yet. so voted back onto the island.

Green Crack #1: for reminder
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=4326466#post4326466 fucking awesome and sweet. lost her cause her clones died (i dont clone flowering plants) and got her back from buddy who originally gave her to me! life long keeper here

Blue Goo: cause i mean come on blue goo... super duper duper sativa growth patterns.

Candidates spending some time in the sun hardening off today:

picture.php

closer up of some, they love life:

picture.php

another:

picture.php

all the larger ones are 7g.

Anyone seen roots compromise the smart pot walls, ala:

picture.php

HAHA i saw my thread die when my camera got smashed! this is a backup crap camera until i get a new one soon. I will now be present and updating, so please stop by frequently

Plants go in June first, and Ive been waiting for it since about December first.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE... BY THE THREADS, WE'RE ALL LOOKING AT A BITCHING, BUSY, YET PRODUCTIVE SEASON.

4 months and 3 days until the start of harvest!

Manitoid

Manitoid

:watchplant::lurk:

Will be watching this close to see what i can learn.

Think maybe you might be able to give me some first hand help on my grow??? Maybe i can pay you with some labor to help you while getting taught??? There are some pics of what mine is doing under my albums. I hope to have time to get a diary going after i get out of the hospital next week.

I realy need some-one who has GOOD experience to look over my grow and clue me in on any problems. It is impossible to go over everything on the net. I would be willing to help you any way i can in exchange for that.

Sorry not only do I not meet people from online in real life, I dont help anyone (right now) with growing. My patients and their meds are all that matters to me, and I cannot justify jeopardizing that.

I am not part of the grow crowd that insists on sharing pests and diseases, just so we can measure penis sizes.

I do understand that you might need real help, just not the man for the job.

Manitoid

oh planting day!

oh planting day!

OH PLANTING DAY OH PLANTING DAY
IVE WAITED MONTHS, HIP HIP HOORAY!

OH PLANTING DAY OH PLANTING DAY
HOPE THE NICE WEATHER'S HERE TO STAY

FUCKING FINALLY. will be posting pics of before and after and what not. plants going in, mulch going on, dripper spaghetti line going down.

supposed to be beautiful all week.

How's it looking on the north left coast?

Manitoid

Sucks. 40s daytime, maybe 50, upper 30s at night.

Next Tuesday we're supposed to hit a run of 70-degree days.

Sorry to hear that!

we have 80s day and 55 nights to stay (until september)

you cali folk should consider the 300+ days of sun we got here! when you take into account most cloudy precipitation days are in the winter as snow, weather is the bee's knees here...

no late season mould either!

Thanks for tuning in Mapi!

Slangheat

Sorry to hear that!

you cali folk should consider the 300+ days of sun we got here! when you take into account most cloudy precipitation days are in the winter as snow, weather is the bee's knees here...

Hello Manitoid, I don't think I've checked in here yet - but I've been lurking since the start.

Colorado always has been attractive to me. Would love nothing more than to have a private spot over there. Sounds like you're loving the start of the season, while many NoCal'rs are scrambling around running scared. Hail warning for me today but my girls are hardy and covered...

Love your philosophy of growing btw - can't wait to learn more about your style along the way!

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
sssshh. Tornados and nighttime low's in the high 30's till last week. Looking like it's finally turned. :)

congrats on getting stuff in the ground Manitoid. :D

Can't wait to see those Blue Berry and Flo's go through the changes. :thank you:

mapinguari

Veteran
Sorry to hear that!

Hey Manitoid, your "bragging" about the weather inspired me to seek what kind of data I could find.

Our nearest city (it's not giving much away) is Redding, second on this list measuring something called "% ANNUAL POSSIBLE SUNSHINE" whatever that means, exactly.

Once summer gets here there is very little rain until November, and temps don't get to 40 or below at night usually until the end of October, too. And even in the heat of the summer, when dudes down in the valley are cooking their plants in 115 degree heat, up here at about 3500 feet we don't ever get much above 90.

We did have a little threat of mold last year on our denser indicas, especially the Blueberry Kush, but I think that was as much owing to their overly close planting as anything else. Hortinova trellis netting will probably help this year with airflow, too.

In any case, from what you've said I think our climes are pretty similar, except that right now you have sunshine and we're still getting hail! Sheeeeeeit.

Manitoid

planting day went down

planting day went down

Thanks all for your kind words!

Planting day went down swimmingly... It was long was outside from about 9:30am til dark (9:00pm).

All of the holes were then covered with a thick ass layer of straw and watered til SATURATED! This first watering usually last a full couple of weeks.

Straw is just a first layer, as Ive learned for this year that I am going to have a varied and dank continuous mulching effort, of things that decompose (last years wood chips still here)

Time lapse of 24 hours... This is how my greenhouse looked since about Feb 24th when I finished reshaping, amending, and refilling, and saturating the holes. They were kept mostly wet until June 1st, so expect it all to be cooked good.

picture.php

After one day I was gentle enough that zero got any transplant shock. Most of them were planted from almost solid 7 gallon smart pot root masses. I didnt have enough 7 gallon filled out plants, so 1/3 of the plants were 1 gallon when planted. Back of greenhouse has closer spacing so the smaller plants went in back (rows of 4) then bigger ones in the rows of 3 and even huger one (and the ones expected to be most sativa) in the rows of 2.

picture.php

Greenhouse is 36' X 76' (~2700 sq ft) Biggest plants are on 8-12ft centers, smaller ones are 6-8ft centers.

now some individuals.

One of
9 Blueberry plants. My very favourite in the test runs, as you will come to see aorund the begin of October. Smells awesome, tastes better. Indoors just barely started to hue purple, so i expect it to be PURPLE outdoors.
picture.php

Bubba Ho Tep, my only flavour that is mine. had it since i got the beans while trimming OD in cali in 2006. Bubba Kush X KC Brains (OD sativa). this lady was the 1 kept of 50 beans popped in 06... still have her, you'll see why (or check last years). Noone sees it around unless one of my 5 patients smokes one with you. Super dank, last year clones june 1 made #3+, so I expect these bushes to be #5

picture.php

Flo! have 3 of these in greenhouse. So sticky flies died stuck from landing on it on the indoor.

picture.php

Lone white widow. used to work for a dispensary, and this was their flagship strain. Which means it was their only one worth keeping, which i did. excited for a #5er out of her, as the dispensary never granted her her full potential (commercial grows never do)

picture.php

SawTooth. gifted from a friend, seems to be fertiliser hungry. I prefer plants that lean towards low fertiliser to be happy, as a point of breeding. But we'll give her whatever she wants, and see what happens.

picture.php

Well thats it for now. Ill post some more tomorrow. I thought in the past I had grown some sativas before, but now im not sure, because the Blue Goo I have is really actually fucking sativa. where all other plants in came room were 2 ish feet bushes, the Blue Goo was chest high and lank... Cannot wait to LST her to 12ft X 12ft glory! #10ers anyone?

Manitoid

Manitoid

Hey Manitoid, your "bragging" about the weather inspired me to seek what kind of data I could find.

Our nearest city (it's not giving much away) is Redding, second on this list measuring something called "% ANNUAL POSSIBLE SUNSHINE" whatever that means, exactly.

Once summer gets here there is very little rain until November, and temps don't get to 40 or below at night usually until the end of October, too. And even in the heat of the summer, when dudes down in the valley are cooking their plants in 115 degree heat, up here at about 3500 feet we don't ever get much above 90.

We did have a little threat of mold last year on our denser indicas, especially the Blueberry Kush, but I think that was as much owing to their overly close planting as anything else. Hortinova trellis netting will probably help this year with airflow, too.

In any case, from what you've said I think our climes are pretty similar, except that right now you have sunshine and we're still getting hail! Sheeeeeeit.

and here there isnt rainy season to ruin late sativas in the end. And like i said before, that list you posted is a LITTLE deceiving. because I do see a few CO cities at the top. Most of our yearly precip and cloudy days in as snow in winter. So if the chart wsa "Sunny Days between May and November" I feel Colorado would score even better.

People are pretty laid back here too... You should get a satellite in CO...

near redding eh? I did much work in the early-mid 2000s trimming every fall in Willits and Ukiah. I wasnt a drainer with a sign looking for work. I was immigrant farm labour invited every year for a particular employer.

Yeah cali does have cosmic caliber weather for weed. CO is almost too dry, but thats okay.

You also cant expect to succeed in the mountains. It is true that high altitude weed is more resinous, but at higher altitude there is always LESS of it.

But even not being in the mountains, Im at 6200', which is high altitude weed compared to you in norcal.

Not quite sure what it is about the right high altitude and resin production, but it sure as hell is the right kind of stress

Thanks for being a part of our learning here!

S

schwagg

those last pics are enough to get me jealous! beautiful work manitoid, hope you have nice summer!

McDank8O5

great post bro! I'm eager to join the ranks of those who are completely plugged in by tomorrow, weather permitting of course. Personally can't wait to see that SawTooth grow out I had a friend speak highly of her but have yet to see her in any shape or form...

Happy planting:tiphat:

mapinguari

Veteran
and here there isnt rainy season to ruin late sativas in the end. And like i said before, that list you posted is a LITTLE deceiving. because I do see a few CO cities at the top. Most of our yearly precip and cloudy days in as snow in winter. So if the chart wsa "Sunny Days between May and November" I feel Colorado would score even better.

People are pretty laid back here too... You should get a satellite in CO...

near redding eh? I did much work in the early-mid 2000s trimming every fall in Willits and Ukiah. I wasnt a drainer with a sign looking for work. I was immigrant farm labour invited every year for a particular employer.

Yeah cali does have cosmic caliber weather for weed. CO is almost too dry, but thats okay.

You also cant expect to succeed in the mountains. It is true that high altitude weed is more resinous, but at higher altitude there is always LESS of it.

But even not being in the mountains, Im at 6200', which is high altitude weed compared to you in norcal.

Not quite sure what it is about the right high altitude and resin production, but it sure as hell is the right kind of stress

Thanks for being a part of our learning here!

Mani, you are at some real altitude! Didn't realize you were that high.

Just looking out the window at a fine layer of frost on the car windshield...

You're right, weather like this will teach us which plants like our climes.

Yeah, I know Colorado's got some cities on the list. Truth is, this is only the second season I've grown at this place, and last year I came in in the middle. I really didn't think this spring would be so tough after last year's, thought that was a fluke to have snow in late April. Sheeeeeit, this year we had snow just the other day, and hail yesterday morning.

Can you have too dry for cannabis, as long as you have water?

Man, your holes look great, your greenhouse looks great, your plants look great!

I made a crazy mix this year, refused to do bag soils inspired by you, Manitoid, my idealism, and my thin wallet. I got forest duff, forest humus, clay-based native soil, wood chips, rice hulls, chicken and horse manure from our place (composted), compost teas, lactic acid bacteria, bokashi, all made with micro-organisms from the property.

Here's the hypothesis: it is possible to make local, totally kind and completely organic herb without buying a lot of stuff in bags and bottles. (Thanks, jaykush!) Sometimes I look at my holes and I think about dudes with bags of crazy soils with really exciting graphics on them, and I think, man, can my soil possible last the season? Can it possibly produce?

Yes, Virginia, according to my crazy Sweettooth and Blue Dream, which are just loving it.

Anyway, Manitoid, I think the point is that the proof is in the pudding.

I think you are growing some delicious pudding. I hope to do so, too!

Good luck, man.

p.s. I popped into the world near where you trimmed.

Manitoid

Mani, you are at some real altitude! Didn't realize you were that high.

I just wanted to add... that on the front range in colorado, like in Colorado Springs, or Denver, Pueblo, NOT IN THE MOUNTAINS, most everywhere it is 5500-7000 ft above sea level.

The elevation rises from the east coast and the gulf coast slowly over time. I would love to live in the mountains... But then it is more like 8500-10000 ft.

Probably still will, and will just inject CO2 into the green house.

Thats mostly what you are missing in highest altitude is carbon dioxide. It is heavier than the rest of air, so it settles in valleys and runs away down hill in much the same fashion that rivers and streams do with

water.

Man, your holes look great, your greenhouse looks great, your plants look great!

I made a crazy mix this year, refused to do bag soils inspired by you, Manitoid, my idealism, and my thin wallet. I got forest duff, forest humus, clay-based native soil, wood chips, rice hulls, chicken and horse manure from our place (composted), compost teas, lactic acid bacteria, bokashi, all made with micro-organisms from the property.

Here's the hypothesis: it is possible to make local, totally kind and completely organic herb without buying a lot of stuff in bags and bottles.

I think my last years grow confirms the hypothesis. Last year $0 was spent in hole composition!

And thats basically the ONLY reason I'm here... To learn my brothers and sisters that there is another paradigm than the hydro store way of life.

Every time the front door bell of a grow store jingles, and a random infant endangered species animal dies! hahaha

Manitoid

Planting day update 2/2

Planting day update 2/2

Some more highlights of the 2011 season.

All of these have 5g buckets or coolers for size comparison...

2 blue goo... apparently ive never grown a 100% leaning (haha) sativa before... this is what they look like after being under a 1000w since they were cloned (yes even cloned under 1000w... because i can)...

They are huge and the nugs are going to be top notch!

picture.php

picture.php

See the 5 gallon gatorade cooler right behind it? Im excited for the flo. My label sticks seem to be working great for scientific photographic purposes... last year i was always back at the computer looking at photos wondering who was who... NO MORE!

picture.php

Blueberry in one of the 500g holes. these ones are afforded 15 ft centers

picture.php

AS A REMINDER... 2010 Casey Jones sativa june 8th day out then September 27 (she went til Nov 15th):

June 8, 2010:

picture.php

Sept 27th 2010:
picture.php

Now look at the sativas June 1, 2011:

picture.php

THIS IS GOING TO GET NUTS... STAY TUNED!