What's new

The entertainment center

Tilt

I'm glad there is interest in vertical pll lamps. The more people that do this the better the body of knowledge will be. I am building a new cab for someone right now and will be adding some improvements and design lessons I got from this cab . No pics yet but I have a $600.00 budget. Alot better than I had for the et center. I got a 6' tall 4' wide 2' depth wardrobe to work with. It will have 550 watts in flower and 110 watts in the nursery section with a light baffle drying chamber (kudos to anti). It should at the very least produce an oz of organic bud a week and probably alot more.

twrex

I'm glad there is interest in vertical pll lamps. The more people that do this the better the body of knowledge will be. I am building a new cab for someone right now and will be adding some improvements and design lessons I got from this cab . No pics yet but I have a $600.00 budget. Alot better than I had for the et center. I got a 6' tall 4' wide 2' depth wardrobe to work with. It will have 550 watts in flower and 110 watts in the nursery section with a light baffle drying chamber (kudos to anti). It should at the very least produce an oz of organic bud a week and probably alot more.

That sounds like a hell of a lot of fun! Please post pics soon, I'm anxious to see what improvements you've made.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
AWESOME! Those things look like the ticket. (Those clear plastic tubes)

416_cleartube.jpg

twrex

As for those clear tubes you linked the price seems like it could get prohibitive fast. The problem is that the ones needed for these would have to be the 1 3/4" OD ones (leaving you 1 1/2" ID after the 2x1/8 loss from the wall thickness) to accomodate the light and its base which are $16 apiece.* Actually it would be $26 because you'd need to get the oversize 6' length and personally cut it to 3 24" sections for each light which means you could be spending more on the protectors than you are for the lamps ($26/3=$8.66). I think these are probably a better option for cab efficiency than the t-12 protectors... but at a greatly increased cost. I'm just not sure if it's worth it unless you've got money to burn.

*the 1 1/2" OD (1 1/4" ID) tubes may work as well, I'm just not sure since I don't have a lamp to test it on even so you're only saving about $1 apiece per 2' length.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
As for those clear tubes you linked the price seems like it could get prohibitive fast. The problem is that the ones needed for these would have to be the 1 3/4" OD ones (leaving you 1 1/2" ID after the 2x1/8 loss from the wall thickness) to accomodate the light and its base which are $16 apiece.* Actually it would be $26 because you'd need to get the oversize 6' length and personally cut it to 3 24" sections for each light which means you could be spending more on the protectors than you are for the lamps ($26/3=$8.66). I think these are probably a better option for cab efficiency than the t-12 protectors... but at a greatly increased cost. I'm just not sure if it's worth it unless you've got money to burn.

Says they'll cut them to the lengths you request.

TAP Plastics said:
If specific lengths are needed, please make a notation in the Comments/Instructions form in the checkout page.

So that's back to the $16 price. So you'll get them for about $5 per light. Kinda expensive (compared to the bulb price) but you should only have to ever buy them once. In a six pll setup you're looking at about $32 bucks for these things. Expensive compared to the $5 flimsy plastic flouro covers, but you get what you pay for. I still think it's a better long term solution than the flouro covers and I think you'll get better airflow through these (which means lower temps in the cabs.)

Tilt

I think top lighting might encourage my plants to grow larger top colas. I might add lamps at the top to find out.

420ish

I think top lighting might encourage my plants to grow larger top colas. I might add lamps at the top to find out.

what kind of light?i have been thinking two of hgl's 63 watt lights inbetween the middle two rows.just have to get off my ass and start building!

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
Not to much interest in this thread. I will throw up some more pics up. Maybe I should let it die....:dunno:

Threads ebb and flow. Keep posting your results, get better pics, whatever you like. Once you have final results a bunch of people will pop up and say "I've been reading from the beginning! Way to go!"

So true. Keep your thread rocking. People follow along even if they are not posting up. Plus, if nothing else your grow log is good for YOUR records and will ultimately make you a better grower.

I'm following along. Everything is just looking real good.

twrex

Says they'll cut them to the lengths you request.
So that's back to the $16 price. So you'll get them for about $5 per light. Kinda expensive (compared to the bulb price) but you should only have to ever buy them once. In a six pll setup you're looking at about $32 bucks for these things. Expensive compared to the $5 flimsy plastic flouro covers, but you get what you pay for. I still think it's a better long term solution than the flouro covers and I think you'll get better airflow through these (which means lower temps in the cabs.)

They didn't mention whether there is an additional cost for the odd size cutting and such, I feel that there would be. Also it's possible that they'll only break them down from 3' lengths.*

Even if there is no cost increase for odd lengths, if you buy the 6' you're only paying an add'l $10 to double your length. This makes it still the better option with 20% cost savings. ($26 vs. $32)

Also, I'm not sure where you got your $5/light figure, even if you're using 36w pl-l's they're over 16" (making 18" your nearest nice number for cutting) which would make it $8/light due to getting only two covers out of a $16 length. Just for a cost comparison if you bought the 6' and broke it down into 4x18" lengths you'd be spending only $6.50/light. If you're using 50w lights then you're looking at the 2' number I gave before (since the lamps are a hair over 22") and the prices are even higher.

Best case scenario is if you can buy the 6' length ($26) and request it be broken down into 2' or 18" pieces at no add'l cost.

Hopefully I haven't made any errors here, if I have I'm sure someone will point them out. Cheers y'all.

*Not terribly likely, but still possible. Most likely they are manufactured in lengths which are a multiple of 6' (since they specifically mention 6' as their oversize length)

Tilt

So true. Keep your thread rocking. People follow along even if they are not posting up. Plus, if nothing else your grow log is good for YOUR records and will ultimately make you a better grower.

I'm following along. Everything is just looking real good.

Thanks for the kind words. I believe I might be on to something here even though the harvests don't show it yet. I have enough for personal use allready. I am dealing with the weak links in the growing chain. Right now I am dealing with feeding and soil building. I recycle my soil and it is getting better every round. I added green sand to my mix recently to deal with my chronic k deficiencies. I am trying not to overfeed and ruin my soil project at the same time. I am looking at long term sustainability.

Tilt

what kind of light?i have been thinking two of hgl's 63 watt lights inbetween the middle two rows.just have to get off my ass and start building!

Yea get off your ass and start building. LOL I read icmag for a year before I started my build after my first aborted attempt. I waited til I had a grasp of the knowledge of growing now Im woking on the wisdom and experience of growing.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Also, I'm not sure where you got your $5/light figure, even if you're using 36w pl-l's they're over 16" (making 18" your nearest nice number for cutting) which would make it $8/light due to getting only two covers out of a $16 length. Just for a cost comparison if you bought the 6' and broke it down into 4x18" lengths you'd be spending only $6.50/light. If you're using 50w lights then you're looking at the 2' number I gave before (since the lamps are a hair over 22") and the prices are even higher.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it looks like "1 3/4" x 6' - $16.95. If you don't choose a different option, you'll end up getting two 3' tubes for each $16.95 you spend. (If you spend an extra $10 you'll get the whole 6' tube as a single piece).

The option for a different size does not show a price, so i assumed that if they were willing to cut one 6' piece into two 3' pieces, they'd probably also be willing to cut one 6' piece into three 2' pieces.

$16.95/3=$5.65 per 2' piece.

Latest posts

Latest posts