What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The DEFINITIVE OG Kush History

JetLife175

Veteran
More pics in the third post of this thread.

I wanna say thanks to everyone that has reached out and given props or words of encouragement about putting the thread together and especially those who have been around the peripherals of this saga and can confirm the things I’ve written. Even bigger thanks to everyone that has posted in this thread for keeping it civil and informative as someone described it to me. You guys are the real rockstars. A thread like this wouldn’t have lasted a second way back when. ICmag is definitely showing why it’s the best canna forum around. That’s for sure!!!!

M

_mr.hendrix__

What is the “emerald triangle” cutting?

at the time there was a lot of back and forward between hawaii and florida being done by Jeff Crawford the pro surfer,, these where the guys that where growing the kryp in florida way back before the TK crew even started growing..

names like "shady" or "jimmy bob" , those are the real legends.. :biggrin:

could not care less about what happened later or who has renamed what... :tiphat:

JetLife175

Veteran
at the time there was a lot of back and forward between hawaii and florida being done by Jeff Crawford the pro surfer,, these where the guys that where growing the kryp in florida way back before the TK crew even started growing..

names like "shady" or "jimmy bob" , those are the real legends.. :biggrin:

could not care less about what happened later or who has renamed what... :tiphat:

So you’re saying the genetics responsible for ultimately creating TK and OG are from Jeff? He was a Sebastian local if I’m not mistaken. Close enough to New Smyrna where the TK supposedly originates.

W

Water-

I see Jeff crawford around now and then.

I'll ask him.

for people that dont know Jeff was one of the greatest surfers of his generation.

There were hash smuggling operations out of afghanistan by 1966 being run by some of the people in the Thai stick book.
And seeds were brought back too.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hindu is definitely in the bubba,, it looks like almost a landrace,, the pre 98 bubba is one that I have grown,,, really really nice weed but my purple kush was identical but better

M

_mr.hendrix__

I see Jeff around now and then.

I'll ask him.

I'm sure he will just laugh a the idea though.

There were hash smuggling operations out of afghanistan by 1966 being run by some of the people in the Thai stick book.
And seeds were brought back too.

Awesome , please get back at us with his reply :biggrin:

You might understand, at the time the weed was not called triangle or og kush, and was handed down several times once it got to Florida and later grown by the gromets. :tiphat:

@jetlife.. all im saying is theres afghan kush in it not hindu kush, but thats pure belief..

Life is stranger than fiction sometimes, maybe the Og tk guy did found the one plant in a seeded badge of random strains with a magical cali clone on there.

Who cares about who found the TK ? after all that crew still has it and has been working it for years while lots of fake Tk's went around... and how they got it.. it might have been similar to how the tkorigins guy found his hashplant.. renaming it after someone gifted him the 1 seed.. and then telling the guy who got the seed that it never sprouted :comfort:

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This thread sure is interesting... especially for history folks...

Hindu is definitely in the bubba,, it looks like almost a landrace,, the pre 98 bubba is one that I have grown,,, really really nice weed but my purple kush was identical but better

Interesting...
Do you happen to have any side by side pics?
Or...
can get some?

JetLife175

Veteran
I had Kush buds in Ca in 1982...just sayin

Kush kush kush. That’s the word everyone gets hung up on. I’m talking about one seed that became OG kush eventually. I know you weren’t smoking it a decade before it’s inception.

I know what the word kush means but in this thread it mainly applies to OG specifically unless otherwise mentioned.

Last edited:

JetLife175

Veteran
https://www.britannica.com/place/Hindu-Kush/media/266291/552

Thats a link to a map of the Hindu Kush mountains.

Most of it is in Afghanistan.

They run righ across the country and only a small part is in Pakistan.

So Hindu Kush can also called be Afghan Kush depending on who collected it and named it.

So I guess we should define what constitutes the difference between the two? Do they have separate traits? Or are we pretty much talking about the same thing? I’ve always wondered this.

W

Water-

So I guess we should define what constitutes the difference between the two? Do they have separate traits? Or are we pretty much talking about the same thing? I’ve always wondered this.

Maybe the same?
But it seems like the Chitral and Yarkhun Valley varieties are distinct from the stuff on the other side of the Kyhber pass in Afghanistan
judging by the hash i have smoked I would think that they are different.

and then there is other Afghan, like the Mazari Sharif from Balkh provience

I honestly dont know

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No,, it was before I had a smartphone,,but if you look at pictures of things like truecannablis landrace afghanica you can see it's very bubba esk

JetLife175

Veteran
No,, it was before I had a smartphone,,but if you look at pictures of things like truecannablis landrace afghanica you can see it's very bubba esk

So in Los Angeles way back when there were three cuts that were almost identical in terpene profile but expressed each other different.

Those three were Bubba Kush, LA Affie, and SoCal Master Kush. The bubba and socal master were very similar in structure, smell, effect. Differences I remember were the bubba being the slower vegger and will go purple easier in lower temps.

Master is Hindu x Hindu I believe.

Bubba kush is bubba(NL supposedly) x OG(Reversed)

I don’t know exactly what that means in the big picture but this does lend credit to the fact of OG having Hindu in it.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm trying to compile some pictures of some afghan stuff,, so I can show and compare it to bubba,, it's almost certain in my mind the bubba is the most like old world kush than anything I have ever had as a cloneonly

Where does the pk come into it,,, i have a beautiful pk that goes ultra purple and tastes like old world kush,, it has crazy slow veg same as bubba,, tight nodes,, bushy is an understatement,, it reminded me of a cabbage

Even my pk from yummybud looks like its got some landrace true afghanica in there,, it could be a pure afghanica

I still have the pk from yummybud,, it's my favourite plant bar the jigga witch looks like a hash plant

I have a pot of gold atm that looks like hindu kush too,, very similar veg structure to pk,, the pog I have was (hk x sk1) x hk

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hope this helps,, i was under the impression that hash plant was one type,, then mazari,, then kush,, and that's the mix??,, am I missing some,, probably am

Hay wendull,, it sure sounds like bubba and la affi were near pure landrace kush,, then the Josh d sounds like a cross,, possibly sk1?

Is ortega anything like bubba?

Latest posts

Latest posts