What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The DEFINITIVE OG Kush History

JetLife175

Veteran
I’ll be doing this run in rockwool with what I mentioned in the first post about the recipe. I gotta get everything written down when I do this run so I can make a chart for everyone’s reference.

I was speaking to a very informed member here on the boards about it and he mentioned rockwool being a prime medium.

I haven’t really done a full rockwool/table situation in ages and I’m making some adjustments to accommodate a drip and drain to waste system. Has anyone used those floraflex drippers/diffusers? Do they work as intended?

JetLife175

Veteran
hey jet you ever grow blackberry kush im about to give it a go heard its tasty just not super potent

After smoking it here and there I never found a want or need to grow it. It’s such a fleeting high. Literally comes and goes with me in 10 mins tops. The yields are there, if that’s something you’re into, just pushing packs of mids masquerading as top shelf herb. I’d be interested in playing around with it just to see how deep you can take the line and hopefully improve upon it. But the fact that it is what it is already makes me shy away.

This is all my experience and I can’t speak on anyone else really. I have a friend who says it gets him high as giraffe pussy, and it definitely isn’t a lie. So I guess to each his own.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’ll be doing this run in rockwool with what I mentioned in the first post about the recipe. I gotta get everything written down when I do this run so I can make a chart for everyone’s reference.

I was speaking to a very informed member here on the boards about it and he mentioned rockwool being a prime medium.

I haven’t really done a full rockwool/table situation in ages and I’m making some adjustments to accommodate a drip and drain to waste system. Has anyone used those floraflex drippers/diffusers? Do they work as intended?

I'm a free standing cube fan,, but lately I'm looking hard at plant magic soil supreme as it phytocell and a nice low pH peet

Drewsif

When sharing cuts with friends I may want one back from I always give the nicest looking clone I have and request they always take cuts from the best looking plants. I always assumed any "drift" was a result of stress. And some growers can find truly interesting ways to stress a plant.

Drift is a result of microbial drift. Different mineral/carb feeds attract different demographics. There are more microbial cells than plant cells in Cannabis by far. Feed the land race kush a different sulfate than it grew up on and the microbial population shifts and produces a different flavor profile. Same with sugars which is why i like my plants to make tons of their own exudates instead of giving them cane extract:so they taste like weed strain not weed grow.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Drift is a result of microbial drift. Different mineral/carb feeds attract different demographics. There are more microbial cells than plant cells in Cannabis by far. Feed the land race kush a different sulfate than it grew up on and the microbial population shifts and produces a different flavor profile. Same with sugars which is why i like my plants to make tons of their own exudates instead of giving them cane extract:so they taste like weed strain not weed grow.

Thats why alot of people say that different strains from same grower have a similar detectable odor or taste.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The type of microbial cells we grow is a really interesting subject,, i have recently been experimenting with all different inoculations,, fungi,, sibiotic shit,, statically charged stuff,, it's a super interesting subject,, is there anyway to quantify this "microbial drift",,, it's this even a real term In biology? (yet)

Jaylo

Og

Og

Thanks for that. I just met Matt recently. It was cool to hear his history and connection to these strains. And your info about it. Just added more detail. And conformation.

beta

Veteran
Re: Bubba and NL being related, I grew out a pack of early 2000s Sensi Jack Herer recently and found a pheno that was remarkably like Bubba Kush, at least in terms of structure and flavor.

Supposedly Jack Herer is Haze x [Northern Lights #5 x (Northern Lights #5 x Skunk #1)], so if that's true that'd definitely lend credence to the idea that NL and Bubba are very related.

it's long been my theory that bubba came from an outcross of something like Deep Chunk.

Crossing Deep Chunk with NL lines throws plants very similar. So similar I have had friends think they were smoking a bubba kush cross. In some the cured flowers appear near identical with slightly less gas than the real bubba.
just a theory , however it may be perceived.

JetLife175

Veteran
it's long been my theory that bubba came from an outcross of something like Deep Chunk.

Crossing Deep Chunk with NL lines throws plants very similar. So similar I have had friends think they were smoking a bubba kush cross. In some the cured flowers appear near identical with slightly less gas than the real bubba.
just a theory , however it may be perceived.

There are two clones that circulated for a very long time, long before bubba kush was made that were almost dead ringers for bubba taste and nose wise. Those were the SCMK (SoCal Master Kush) and the LA Affie that the moontribe hippies have had since the 80s maybe even before that. Once upon a time these flavor profiles were somewhat prevalent. That BOEL cut The One looks strikingly like bubba kush to at least in my opinion.

If bubba is NL seed from NorCal it’s my theory that these were original NL beans that remained in the PNW and never were touched by the hands of Neville. Just some legit afghan breeding going on in those beans. The OG hermed on that plant and they selected the one that resembled mom the most seeing as how it was supposedly lost to Matt at some point. Maybe he slow veg thing is a trait from bubba not OG because I rarely find a slow plant in OG seed. There’s a lot that we don’t know that I hope to find out. I’m more interested in what that original bubba grew like etc because that will definitely help with understanding what that plant actually is.

Booyah!

There are two clones that circulated for a very long time, long before bubba kush was made that were almost dead ringers for bubba taste and nose wise. Those were the SCMK (SoCal Master Kush) and the LA Affie that the moontribe hippies have had since the 80s maybe even before that. Once upon a time these flavor profiles were somewhat prevalent. That BOEL cut The One looks strikingly like bubba kush to at least in my opinion.

If bubba is NL seed from NorCal it’s my theory that these were original NL beans that remained in the PNW and never were touched by the hands of Neville. Just some legit afghan breeding going on in those beans. The OG hermed on that plant and they selected the one that resembled mom the most seeing as how it was supposedly lost to Matt at some point. Maybe he slow veg thing is a trait from bubba not OG because I rarely find a slow plant in OG seed. There’s a lot that we don’t know that I hope to find out. I’m more interested in what that original bubba grew like etc because that will definitely help with understanding what that plant actually is.

This information makes so much sense. Funny, I had no clue Moontribe was a part of the story. I've been looking for a legit cut of Master Kush for almost two decades. Nothing nowadays stands up to the Master I remember. I had a cut Afghan Kush with no background that was in the same category. PK reminds me of it a bit.

fvasquez

Funny you mention this as I was just smelling this jar of Alien Cookies and trying to remember what it reminded me of. First I thought Bubba Kush, then remembered the old LA Confidential that they used to run in the Valley. LA Confidential had that LA Affie in it that gave off the smell I was thinking of.

Latest posts

Latest posts