What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The DEFINITIVE OG Kush History

JetLife175

Veteran
So if chem is the precursor,,, and chem is dogbud,, what line do you think dogbud is?,, also,, do you think it all started in florida even the chem ?

Thanks for your information man

So from what I’ve gathered Pbud and Joe B revealed the location in which the dogbud they got derived from. That area is the camas valley in Oregon. That’s as far back as we have been able to trace the dogbud lineage and gives no real clue as to what the genetic makeup is.

Seems like HR and dank frank have been using phylos to do some research and it seems an Afghan is definitely part of the equation though.

Last edited:

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
i got some chem seeds years back still have some. just dank. it was alittle unstable slight herm and loose bottom bud they formed descent tops. horrible to trim. but killer bud. just did u underdawg its close but not as terpy. whose got the best chem in seed form

JetLife175

Veteran
i got some chem seeds years back still have some. just dank. it was alittle unstable slight herm and loose bottom bud they formed descent tops. horrible to trim. but killer bud. just did u underdawg its close but not as terpy. whose got the best chem in seed form

Depends on which chem you are looking for.

JJ/Top Dawg have STELLAR chem D derived lines. He’s got 91s and sours too but he mainly works the D clone.

91chem I would say Nspectah hands down. All of his chems are verified and that will be the truest to form in my eyes.

Last edited:

JetLife175

Veteran
Im growing Nspectas Chem 91 x Chem D

what are the differences between the lines?

91 chem has more of a OG type of frame/structure and stretch. I would characterize the terps being “chemical fuel” dominant if that makes sense. I think she should be ran in the 73-78 day range it’s all preference in that window.

The D is pure raunchy halitosis skunky funk. I feel the chem D has more raw power behind he high, but the 91 has a more balanced and prolonged effect to me. The D branches better, yields more and is just a heavier smoke than the 91.

I’ll take the 91 over the D any day of the week due to the quality of the high. Longer lasting, a bit more of a hybrid buzz compared to the dick in the dirt D. The 91 is Very motivational and tasty smoke to say the least.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So from what I’ve gathered Pbud and Joe B revealed the location in which the dogbud they got derived from. That area is the camas valley in Oregon. That’s as far back as we have been able to trace the dogbud lineage and gives no real clue as to what the genetic makeup is.

Seems like HR and dank frank have been using phylos to do some research and it seems an Afghan is definitely part of the equation though.

So possibly,, someone in Oregon was breeding dogbud,,like outdoor,, selling 100s of pounds using seeds to be perpetual?

Imo,, bubba is a near pure Hindu kush and potentially older than everything ,, as it seems to be near pure landrace,, anyone noticed deep chunk looks a lil similar?

the new wave of OGs have a skunk/afghanica twist I'd say,, it's kinda obvious since the new wave kush is stinky and the bubba is not so much of a smelly plant,,

Chem looks like a hybrid too,, has anyone got a hypothesis on what the hybrid makeup is,, seems like hk x afghanica is the basic mix for this pool ??,, possibly seeds bought from Holland,, or do you think this a hippy expat style cross,, something unheard of in Amsterdam?

Dankwolf

:tiphat: agreed

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bubba Kush is no older than OG. It's NL x OG that went hermi. That's the best we can possibly know. Other than that, it's just speculation because the guys in FL don't know what they were growing when they kept the cut around they were calling "Bubba".

It's not near landrace or anything else, regardless of how prominent it surfaces in it's offspring.

Bubba Kush, when grown PROPERLY, is actually quite a smelly plant. She has such a strong "kush" note to her it can sting your nose. Her coffee/chocolatey hash notes come out while she is drying and into the cure. When you smoke her she's got that same "something special" to her that makes OG so mouth watering. There is that underlying subtlety that gets her the Cali "kush" tag.

I've grown her where she wasn't worth keeping around and I've grown her to where she was the best plant in the room. She can vary that much. When done right, she is one of the absolute best there is.

Rick - anything is possible. Speculation is all it is though. Better to stick the facts that are KNOWN and can be proven rather than jumping down a rabbit hole like all the other threads do.

dank.Frank

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
Depends on which chem you are looking for.

JJ/Top Dawg have STELLAR chem D derived lines. He’s got 91s and sours too but he mainly works the D clone.

91chem I would say Nspectah hands down. All of his chems are verified and that will be the truest to form in my eyes.

thanks jetlife chems are in my favs i need something more stable bigger yields.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bubba Kush is no older than OG. It's NL x OG that went hermi. That's the best we can possibly know. Other than that, it's just speculation because the guys in FL don't know what they were growing when they kept the cut around they were calling "Bubba".

It's not near landrace or anything else, regardless of how prominent it surfaces in it's offspring.

Bubba Kush, when grown PROPERLY, is actually quite a smelly plant. She has such a strong "kush" note to her it can sting your nose. Her coffee/chocolatey hash notes come out while she is drying and into the cure. When you smoke her she's got that same "something special" to her that makes OG so mouth watering. There is that underlying subtlety that gets her the Cali "kush" tag.

I've grown her where she wasn't worth keeping around and I've grown her to where she was the best plant in the room. She can vary that much. When done right, she is one of the absolute best there is.

Rick - anything is possible. Speculation is all it is though. Better to stick the facts that are KNOWN and can be proven rather than jumping down a rabbit hole like all the other threads do.

dank.Frank

Your absolutely right,, Its just utter speculation on my end,,, apart from a clone of pre 98 that was really really nice,,it's a shame I lost it,, luckily I got the pk back,, pk is my personal favourite from that group of slow veg kush types,, both very very similar cuts,, bubba was chocolate coffee,, pk has a red kush thing going on,, but ultimately pk wins in my rooms,,

From the structure and way it breeds,, when it comes to bubba,, I would have guessed it was closer to purelines than polyhybrid mixup when compared to og kush,,

JetLife175

Veteran
Your absolutely right,, Its just utter speculation on my end,,, apart from a clone of pre 98 that was really really nice,,it's a shame I lost it,, luckily I got the pk back,, pk is my personal favourite from that group of slow veg kush types,, both very very similar cuts,, bubba was chocolate coffee,, pk has a red kush thing going on,, but ultimately pk wins in my rooms,,

From the structure and way it breeds,, when it comes to bubba,, I would have guessed it was closer to purelines than polyhybrid mixup when compared to og kush,,

I guess you haven’t paid attention to how OG breeds as well.

Bubba is very dominant in crosses, just like OG is. They are two different smokes, one being a hybrid of the other. OG usually passes on growth pattern, calyx size, leaf structure and terpeenes to varying degrees. OG usually always will dominate the outcome of the cross. That’s why there is so many OG crosses on the market today. It’s just as easy to find a keeper in a OG hybrid as it is in s1 OG seed.

Bubba does the same thing but to different effects. Slow veg time seems to be passed on to a lot of the offspring, also the structure and flower formation usually dominates in crosses along with the terpene profile.

They are two different beasts derived from the same plant that both breed for their own favorable or not so favorable traits.

I get what you are saying about bubba looking like a heirloom variety. Regardless of what it LOOKS like, it’s surely a modern invention.

mexweed

Veteran
I used to differentiate og kush as it having 'kush' funk to it as in sour garlic onion body odor, because I had some hindu kush once that was allegedly from 80's sensi stock that was like that, but then the gg4 I grew had some strong garlic onion funk going on and I knew it had to be the sis

the underdog I found an s1 in I noted had a deeper gnarlier skunk to it like typically thought of with 'diesel', but when I grew the s1 it tasted pretty much just like 91

in the adam dunn podcast where they talk about the dogbud, if I remember correctly they also mention m39 and hashplant being prevalent at the time, so lots of nl afghan types in play, I have seen 91 listed as thai before, obviously not pure, but these lines typically go 10 weeks so definitely not pure afghan hashplant type either

there is also that eucalyptus mothballs thing chem has when it's fresh, which I have only ever noticed in chem strains

Uncanny

My personal opinion is chemdawg is a sensi super skunk f2. Super skunk being a skunk#1 x afghan, probably two of the more skunk leaners crossed.

If we look at the 91’, Chem 1, Chem 2, Chem 3, Chem 4, D and sister. If we take the chem story at face value. These cuts would be all siblings, I just don't see F1 progeny on display. The variance in the cuts look like F2’s. Especially the picture nspecta put up of chem 1, looks far sativa leaning possibly grandparents of the cross.

First time I smoked Chem D and 4 in 09’ it took me back to 95’. My buddies brother was going to college in boulder in 95’, he brought back couple ozs of “skunk” over winter break. I took 2 bong hits of it and had me straight tripping for 3-4 hours. I thought it was laced because it had a distinct chemmy flavor.

I don’t think I smoked dogbud or chemdawg in 95’, but I think chemmy pheno was present in some skunkxafghan hybrids. Timeline kind of fits too only few years prior sensi and sssc was selling an skunk#1 x afghan hybrid. 91’ seeds are found and popped but only a small batch of the weed was ever seen by the people there at the time.

Should be interesting if someone did a large run of s1 of Mass Super Skunk. Bet a plant that looks like the chem91 with sativa structure with dark black rounded leaves, like afghanis might pop up.

I’m less certain of the genetics of OG Kush, but if I had to take a stab chem91 x nl cross F2’d then bunch of selections from S1. Pretty certain there’s NL in og kush somewhere. First time I smoked OG was in 03’, my buddy acquired a cut of og from Cali when some of his childhood friends moved out west norcal/southern oregon. The cut he had tasted nothing like the later derivatives of SFV Tahoe or Ghost. It tasted piney, soapy, clean/medicinal with just a touch of citrus in the background. It was reminiscent of super dank cut of northern lights that was going around in the late 90s in VA.

These are some of my past experiences to come to my conclusions. :dance013:

mexweed

Veteran
maybe something like nl5/thai skunkXgarlic bud afghan

maybe phenos of strains before some got ibl'd into oblivion

edit because 420 and then I got high; I have noted some slight flavor similarities in ak47 and flo I have had before that I have noticed in 91, and they are essentially thai skunk and thai afghan

and Uncanny, definitely something to that old sensi and sssc stuff theory imo

growth structure it typically presents, especially in 'diesel' variations, a more sativa leaning skunk, but chemdog always has that slight indica tinge

Last edited:

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
im not trying to discredit Josh in any way .. he was gifted a cut ... ,mI'm into ingredients not the chefs. lol

I doubt its genetic drift more like S1's from Late ripening , and early attempts to re do her

First Gen shiva skunk , Garlic NL X Super Skunk Chem D

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stoneys cut of chemy stuff tested as almost identical apart from one factor,, i can't remember what the ons and outs are exactly,, but phylos said they may have been from the same mother as wgst they consider real og,, anyone able to comment

Mohadib

Veteran
Stoneys cut of chemy stuff tested as almost identical apart from one factor,, i can't remember what the ons and outs are exactly,, but phylos said they may have been from the same mother as wgst they consider real og,, anyone able to comment

I think it was dank.frank, who said earlier in this thread Stoney's sample ,that was suppose to be Chem '91, turned out to actually be a precurser to the chem.

That would make it grandparent of OG though, wouldn't it!?

Latest posts

Latest posts