What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The DEFINITIVE OG Kush History

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Amazing information,, thanks guys

Hay huff,,, you were the first person I saw talking about phylos years back when it had nothing on it

Wendull C.

Veteran
Soil and amendment/nutrient differences? Even if the two growers were using same of everything, I'm sure they don't feed them at the same times with exactly the same amount.

Phenotype is the outward expression of it's characteristic due to environment. Phenotypes change, but genotype doesn't?

How long did it take to start changing? Have they stopped changing yet, or are they still "morphing"?

I guess it would be a cool experiment. Grow same clones in different environments and different nutrient plans. It would be interesting to see how long it takes to completely change.

I will answer these as soon as I quit working tonight man.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Was the josh and the bty from the same tray of originally identical clones?

Josh = josh, ghost,,,,?

Bty = sfv, Paris og,, ?

This a really interesting form of biodiversity in colonial ganja,,, fascinating

I know the bty was from an established grower in the sfv. Og kush, or just kush back then had been around a few years before we could get a cut out of the guy.

The Josh would've been around before or no og would've been availaible. The tray the bty came from was just labeled kush. When I asked I was told it was sfv. But back then there was only kush. The names came later.

Dankwolf

I will answer these as soon as I quit working tonight man.

I would love to hear insight on this subject . I have had strians that I ran for years and friends ran for years after 5 or so years I started noticing larger differnce in the end product and the strian it self (borrowed cuts sometimes). Don't get me wrong there where difrance's right from the start due to grow style/enviourment etc.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
When sharing cuts with friends I may want one back from I always give the nicest looking clone I have and request they always take cuts from the best looking plants. I always assumed any "drift" was a result of stress. And some growers can find truly interesting ways to stress a plant.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The word genetic drift is not applicable to colonials,,, it's something that happens to a seed line,,, this would be snp,, single point mutation if its permanent and apical meristem culture does not reset the clock,, it's true epigenetic research,,it's amazing that environment is so impactfull,,, it's something unheard of years ago,, as far as I'm aware colonials were not subject to drift,, mutation yes,,it's almost like somaclonal variation but without going through calus culture to induce it

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know the bty was from an established grower in the sfv. Og kush, or just kush back then had been around a few years before we could get a cut out of the guy.

The Josh would've been around before or no og would've been availaible. The tray the bty came from was just labeled kush. When I asked I was told it was sfv. But back then there was only kush. The names came later.

So bty is the real sfv,,, that's a big deal in itself,, this thread is truly the definition of ultimate og threads,,, 5 ✨ *****

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When sharing cuts with friends I may want one back from I always give the nicest looking clone I have and request they always take cuts from the best looking plants. I always assumed any "drift" was a result of stress. And some growers can find truly interesting ways to stress a plant.

This is why I came up with the term rapid cloning tek,,, i always say mothers can only be from the tip of the tip,, the tallest point,, but if I'm honest I never knew why I made this rule,, i just live by it and advise other people to do the same

The rapid cloning tek i made up is where you grow clones as fast as you can and get them moving so fast in veg that tips are being generated in hours,,, clone from the super new tips and grow them fast too,, by the second time it's like the clones just got warmed up and and mothers are r eady to grow seemingly more rapidly than before the rapid cloning tek was done

I am pretty much an exclusive nft grower,, so if a mother is becoming hagged,, il stick her on an nft tank,, grow her out fast and take snips from only the rapid new groth,, when roots catch on the root matting the plants takeoff,, it's then when you catch new mother snips and repeat the rapid cloning tek shit

I try to tell people never to take clones from the bottom of plants or anything in flower,, i always hope people don't reveg or take clones from shit bits of plant materials,, but hay,, this is the way Taho og is different to the josh,, no?,, stressing a plant into various colonials is fascinating

I'm playing around with full plant regen from apical meristem root material,, using the indirect oganogenisis route and inducing somaclonal variation,,, thoughts?

Last edited:

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
This is why I came up with the term rapid cloning tek,,, i always say mothers can only be from the tip of the tip,, the tallest point,, but if I'm honest I never knew why I made this rule,, i just live by it and advise other people to do the same

The rapid cloning tek i made up is where you grow clones as fast as you can and get them moving so fast in veg that tips are being generated in hours,,, clone from the super new tips and grow them fast too,, by the second time it's like the clones just got warmed up and and mothers are r eady to grow seemingly more rapidly than before the rapid cloning tek was done

The first clone I ever received from someone was an old NL. A few of us traded it back and forth while learning.. A few of my friend would laugh at giving back the weak one. Or not mentioning labeling errors. Did not take long and a few of them would say that northern sure aint what she used to be. So it became easy to see early on that was clearly not how to preserve a strain.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes,, and nev lost g13 because the mother "wore out",, God rest his soul,, rep nev,,

But what about apical meristem culture,, we should be able to reset the clock,, wtf,, mind blown!!

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tahoe and Fire are not the same , SFV , Tahoe , Fire , Larry , SAC 1 and 3 are different Phenos

I have tests that can show you , cannabinoid and terpene tests is a poor mans DNA tests

Can you explain the tree and how you think it all fits together bro,, I'd love to hear your thoughts

Dankwolf

I am pretty much an exclusive nft grower,, so if a mother is becoming hagged,, il stick her on an nft tank,, grow her out fast and take snips from only the rapid new groth,, when roots catch on the root matting the plants takeoff,, it's then when you catch new mother snips and repeat the rapid cloning tek shit

I try to tell people never to take clones from the bottom of plants or anything in flower,, i always hope people don't reveg or take clones from shit bits of plant materials,, but hay,, this is the way Taho og is different to the josh,, no?,, stressing a plant into various colonials is fascinating

I'm playing around with full plant regen from apical meristem root material,, using the indirect oganogenisis route and inducing somaclonal variation,,, thoughts?

Your last 2 staments backed up what I have belived for 15+ years and was taught by a old head in the bis for years . I always wondered why but felt no need to ask . thank you .

Dankwolf

The first clone I ever received from someone was an old NL. A few of us traded it back and forth while learning.. A few of my friend would laugh at giving back the weak one. Or not mentioning labeling errors. Did not take long and a few of them would say that northern sure aint what she used to be. So it became easy to see early on that was clearly not how to preserve a strain.

Reminds me,of my first few years. Lol .

Wendull C.

Veteran
So bty is the real sfv,,, that's a big deal in itself,, this thread is truly the definition of ultimate og threads,,, 5 ✨ *****

It was called sfv to me by the friend that got it. It may not be the cut most regard as true sfv.

I only asked what kind it was after the names started. The guy or my buddy may not have been told correctly because the grower may not have known. For a bit, there was only one "kush" out there.

But, like Jetlife said, you would know if you were around then.:tiphat:

Wendull C.

Veteran
Soil and amendment/nutrient differences? Even if the two growers were using same of everything, I'm sure they don't feed them at the same times with exactly the same amount.

One mother was kept in pro mix and top fed advanced then gh nutrients . The other was grown in recirculating hydro and rock wool. General hydroponic nutrients.

Phenotype is the outward expression of it's characteristic due to environment. Phenotypes change, but genotype doesn't?

I have always thought this as well.

How long did it take to start changing? Have they stopped changing yet, or are they still "morphing"?

It wasnt for 10 years or so until I saw the plant I knew to come from the exact same tray. I noticed the differences after keeping a mother of both for a year. I picked the sweeter one, though I can get the other back if i need to.

I guess it would be a cool experiment. Grow same clones in different environments and different nutrient plans. It would be interesting to see how long it takes to completely change.

I wonder, also, if all strains would change? Certainly at a different pace? I think it would be very interesting. One would have to be dedicated for a very long time. I got lucky in a unique situation to be able to know the plant I was being shown came from the same tray as the other. Though, it is a small world.
:tiphat:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your last 2 staments backed up what I have belived for 15+ years and was taught by a old head in the bis for years . I always wondered why but felt no need to ask . thank you .

I'd love someone to look into this next idea

colonials can be improved via cloning,,, clone to clone is not a bad idea,it can (somehow?) improve a veriety,, if done correctly,,ie my rapid cloning tek is the best method of attempting to achieve this,, clone to clone is essential in seed selection to get the full potential expression from an individual

?????

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I'd love someone to look into this next idea

colonials can be improved via cloning,,, clone to clone is not a bad idea,it can (somehow?) improve a veriety,, if done correctly,,ie my rapid cloning tek is the best method of attempting to achieve this,, clone to clone is essential in seed selection to get the full potential expression from an individual

?????,,, would this be classified as somaclonal variation

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was told Skywalker was the OG found in Florida around 1994 , DNA is starting to show the lineage connection as well , Even Alec describes it as darker and more rich than the recent OG's he see's , "Adam Dunn Show" / wasn't named SKY till Russian got it
Diablo / Fire same cut. RDC is correct , NoStressH got the JD cut out a lot as well
it got named at Rainbow from Kush to OG Kush

From all I know and have leaned , IM extremely confident OG came from Chem / Diesel "i.e." im gonna assume Supernaut was Chem or Chem Dom....

quite a few are S1's from banana'a from trying to get the crazy fox tail pics

Weed tracker really got all the OG's whored out to everyone

Great post most Accurate I've seen in 10 tears or so , Elite G is back around , He may be able to add something ?

So if chem is the precursor,,, and chem is dogbud,, what line do you think dogbud is?,, also,, do you think it all started in florida even the chem ?

Thanks for your information man

Latest posts

Latest posts