What's new

The CannaBunker Begins

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
Agree.. one of the best threads goin'...anymore coming on the Tube?...yeah, just tell the contractor your buiding a storm/tornado/cyclone shelter...leave it at that..:good:

...dont let the neighbors know or the next time the Local Weather "Yahoo"comes on:lightning: , you'll have folks beatin' on your "Bunker":hide:...ha ha

Thanks! I have some more videos I'll post. I'd like to take some of the door mechanics. I'd also like to show my "Clue" style secret fireplace door.

I

In~Plain~Site

Pretty much all of the work that I wish I didn't have to do, had to do with the concrete mixing. Shoveling gravel and sand, hauling cinder blocks, etc. Framing is fairly easy, since 2x4's are not made out of gravel.

Get an air compressor and nail gun. Framing is easy. You might want CO2 in your room, so if you have natural gas, you might want someone to install a black pipe line to your setup. That's not hard to do, but you'd need a pipe threader.

Have the concrete guys use their own forms for your job so you don't have to buy and discard a bunch of plywood. When I added on to my garage, I did the excavation and backfill, and the concrete guys gave me a substantial discount. I think the slab and knee wall foundation was about $1500. The excavation and backfill work was another $750 that I didn't have to shell out.

It would have made my life easier if I had of just made an addition with a full basement. That way I wouldn't have had to worry about any leaks. Having a patio as a roof creates some (reasonable) obsticles that would not be an issue if there was roof over the structure. I would have recommended using some more moisture barriers (plastic, tar, etc). I'd actually consider giving the bunker a tin roof before burying it.

Another word of advice is not to sweat the conctractors. Get a building permit, just call it something else other than a grow room. Professionals do not care what you're going to do with what they're building. They just want to get paid and move onto their next project. Don't be afraid to hire people. I'd worry more about getting help from people that you know. Stay out of your social zone for help.

I also don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for people to know about what you're doing, just don't ask for their help. They're too busy with their own lives and jobs to care if you're going to build a bud bunker, unless their lives or jobs intersect with yours on a significant level. Anyone you hang around enough to piss-off is a liability. I have a few friends that I never see that know about the build. I have much closer friends that don't know. Sounds wierd, but it's the arguments/fights from close friends that will fuck you. Friends who live 100's of miles away don't see me enough to get angry at me.

Thanks for taking the time to share that.

My plan is (for my situation) to act as the GC on the job, at least until we get it under roof.

Then pick and choose from there,I know,it's a lot more money, but the savings in time for an active household can not be ignored.I'll work on interior spaces that aren't part of the needed expansion as I go from there.

The plan calls for an additional 1800 sqft(2-story) not including my secret room ;)

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
There is no magic in the machine, no Deus Ex Machina. There is no man behind the curtain. I'd rather share and face the consequences. Ideas are contageous.

That is all I was getting at. You have shared much information.
Safety was my only concern.
:blowbubbles:

I

In~Plain~Site

Now you see part of my dilemma :D

That's a house, not an addition!

What I was getting at earlier with my rough-in question was this:

I was thinking of making even my intake/exhaust stealth and was going to put some sections of pvc, of varying diameters, at some strategic locations inside the wall when we pour, having had to hammer drill a 2" hole in a 12" poured foundation wall, once was quite enough for me.

Figured it would be the time to do it, so If I needed access etc.

The actual 'secret room' aspect is still in flux and I don't want to 'wish I had' after the fact...you know?

Anyways, I do appreciate all the responses my man :ying:

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
That is all I was getting at. You have shared much information.
Safety was my only concern.

And you're right. Safety is very important, I'm not disagreeing with you. I actually appreciate that there are people out there who will look out for others, even though there's nothing in it for themselves. We live in a world where people will ruin your life just to further their own cause. Cops are corrupt, and just because you're parinoid, doesn't mean that they're NOT out to get you.

I decided a while back that I wasn't going to be afraid anymore. Fear is the mind killer, and the government uses fear to control. I don't like to be controlled. Part of the reason I'm so passionate about sharing is that I think freedom of all information is something that should be guaranteed in our bill of rights. It's something that should be a basic human right. Censorship of any kind holds us all back.

Look at the social upheaval in the middle east. The internet, and freedom of informaiton is key. Information about pot is also key to legalization. How can it continue to be demonized if everyone knows how benign weed is when compared to any other mind altering substance?

Keeping safe kept me from posting this thread for three years. Who knows, if I had of been posting as the work was being done, maybe I could have saved some effort. At the same time, I know that posting pictures of something that you want to keep a secret is counter to keeping it a secret. :)

EDIT - Kind of baked, sorry. :)

This stuff reminds me of visiting homes that were used in the underground railroad. Kinda makes you wonder, when it's legalized do you think people will look at homes with secret construction in a similar way.

Tagged, because this is one of the most epic construction projects I've ever seen.

Although, I probably would've just hired contractors from out of state and paid them cash. If they ask, it's for a "safe" room so I want to minimize the number of people that know about it.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
I actually appreciate that there are people out there who will look out for others, even though there's nothing in it for themselves.
There is something in it for me.
Cannabunker V 2.0.
Getting to learn from your trials and errors.
ICFs here I come. Had been thinking about removing the shit by 5 gal bucket, like the dude in WA that built his ColdWar bunker. But, fuck, that is a lot of work.
Better to be like the Greenbrier
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greenbrier
And just make up some bullshit why you need three times the concrete mix that concrete company calculated.

I decided a while back that I wasn't going to be afraid anymore.
I hear you. Just a fine line between bravery and stupidity. Paranoia and precaution.
Only saying, if you take a picture of your 'secret entrance', that would be compromising the entry to your room, based on your outside pictures already. Not just cops, but more importantly rippers, that may want to take your shit.
Perhaps just explain it? Take unrelated photos, showing the dynamics. People gotta fill in the blanks sometimes. I know you want to make it easier for them, but you also gotta look after #1.
Plus there are plenty of threads on concealed doors on this site.

That's what I mean by 'ALL' your secrets...

Keeping safe kept me from posting this thread for three years. Who knows, if I had of been posting as the work was being done, maybe I could have saved some effort. At the same time, I know that posting pictures of something that you want to keep a secret is counter to keeping it a secret. :)
Probably, but who knows? May have been an extra risk, or just extra stress. I know I would have been paranoid as hell, thinking the cops were outside, staking me out as I dig my hole.

I just finished reading the thread. I'm thoroughly impressed and I bow to you.:tiphat:

For others that are thinking of taking on a task like this but don't have the expertise, do a google search for gun room/safe room/panic room/gun vault etc and you'll find similar construction projects and get a lot of good ideas.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
ClosetAdvocate - Gun vault... damn, I didn't think of that one when I was researching. I'll have to check it out.

Rednick - At least if I ever bit it, you know you'd get a full report, with pictures of the prosecution and a jury list tied to google earth. That's when you get to show how much you really care. ;)

EDIT - Holy shit man, I think I just peed my pants. This is how things should have went:

http://disasterbunkers.com/bomb-shelters.php

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
I know I would have been paranoid as hell, thinking the cops were outside, staking me out as I dig my hole.

Oh, I definitely went through my fair share of that at the beginning, especially the person that lives with me.

I realized something a while back. I was having a hard time selling the idea of the Canna Bunker to the people whom I thought mattered. It actually got to the point where I lost some old friends. They had a hard time with the illegality of what I was planning. Then I realized that they were condemning me for planning on doing something that COULD be used in an illegal manner. I hadn't even started. Eh, one of those fuckers, I found out later (not TKOR) was f'ing one of my ex's. This world is full of alterior motives. FULL of them. I won't get into that though.

The moral of this story? Hypothetical; I don't grow Canna in the CannaBunker. Where does that leave me? With a wine cellar. The structure itself is not illegal UNTIL you use it to do illegal things. By then, it's well hidden and out of view.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
That's what I mean by 'ALL' your secrets...

This made me think of a "secret" that I didn't talk about. If you look carefully at some of the pictures you might have noticed something. I installed a security camera system with a remote DVR, and an internal camera pointed at the door.

I want to get a system that has facial recognition, and knows to call me when there's stranger danger.

I've always dreamt of building a gimble mounted auto-turret. Remember, I was a software engineer. I know how to do it. I could include facial recognition routines, and laser tracking. Just because I haven't done something like this, doesn't mean it's not in the works. If I were anyone reading this who also happened to know where the CannaBunker is located, I would stay as far away as possible.

Ever try to pull a muskrat out of his den with your bare hands?

Edit - see upper left of photo, you're on candid camera.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
OMG!!! Holy shit, I just had one of the most vile experiences of my life in the CannaBunker. I was taking some video of the door mechanics, and I wanted to get a shot of the ventilation room. I opened the hatch and found a dead chipmunk. Ok, not so bad so far, right?

WARNING!!!! Graphic imagery ahead, proceed at your own peril.------------------

* ! * ! * ! * ! * ! * ! * ! * !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I'm a stone cold lumberjack when it comes to handling the disgusting bits that life can ocasionally throw at any one of us. So, I slip into a pair of latex gloves and grab the poor little fellow to give him a proper burrial. Half way up the ladder, the chipmunk started to wiggle a little. It's hard to explain, maybe less of a wiggle, and more of ...

HOLY FUCK STICKS!

This fucker is stuffed full of undulating maggots. They had made their way out of both ends, and what I was feeling was a group of about 10 of these maggots that had pushed their way out of his ass hole.

As soon as the gravity of the situation hit me, I had to take a minute to gather myself, and to reclaim the body that I had just involuntarily flung, like a scared little girl, across the basement floor. I went to grab the dead chipmunk again, and I looked a little closer. God damned! There are maggots comming out of his eye, and his mid-section is moving about like a belly dancer.

I wanted to throw up in my mouth, but I manned up, and grabbed the little fellow again. Some of his little comanions had freed themselves, and I had to pick up each one individually. The way those things move, it makes my mind itch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Safe reading again!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I really should have taken some more pictures, and maybe a video or two, but I thought that might be pushing it a little.

I'll be posting some more pictures soon!

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
Even though growing cannabis is illegal, we still decide to post experiences and pictures online, despite the risks. I was originally very tentative about posting pictures and writing about my experience with the bunker. It seems that most people accept that the higher risk of getting caught is outweighed by whatever it is that attracts people to post here. Comunity, knowledge, principal, ideaology; they're all good enough reasons to accept some risk into your lives.

There do seem to be some lines that people don't cross here. There are different aspects of canna-business that fall into a "gray area". Talking about the money laundering side of the equation is not okay. No one really seems to talk about distribution, but there's a ton of really interesting anecdotes there. I've found that this area takes at least as much care as the growing side in order to ... bloom. I made mistakes along the way in the relationships that I chose to take part in. Most were not necessary, but I couldn't have done it without others. At the very least, you need to know a guy. You could definitely eloborate on this subject.

Is it okay to make money from others in this industry? I'd really like to talk about that, but again, I don't want to implicate myself even further.

There was a lot that I sacrificed to get this going. I lost good friends, and I left a solid career. I gave up the 401k and the health insurance. I gave up any "right" to any type of an income. I had to become comfortable with the idea that an uscrupulous LEO may take my property in forefiture. There was much "chaffing" about this idea amongst my family. I don't have a criminal record, but I have been persecuted by those around me for loving marijuana my ENTIRE life. I have become disenfranchised.

When I decided to do this, there was not a single person who thought I was making a good choice. It was the first truly independent choice that I have ever made. To book it Robert Frost style, and to take the road less traveled is incredible, exciting and new. It's also really lonley.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference"
-Robert Frost

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Yo CBM, I have said this to myself many a time, but I feel like you and I are one and the same. You are obviously a very intelligent person, very capable of doing anything they want with their lives. It is good to know that someone else has had to make this decision even when people around them were telling them they were doing the wrong thing. Keep it up my dude, and I will end the night with this quote, which is one I like to tell people when they tell me I am breaking the law:

We should never forget that everything Adolf Hitler did in Germany was "legal" and everything the Hungarian freedom fighters did in Hungary was "illegal." ~Martin Luther King, Jr

aod

skyhigh35

Even though growing cannabis is illegal, we still decide to post experiences and pictures online, despite the risks. I was originally very tentative about posting pictures and writing about my experience with the bunker. It seems that most people accept that the higher risk of getting caught is outweighed by whatever it is that attracts people to post here. Comunity, knowledge, principal, ideaology; they're all good enough reasons to accept some risk into your lives.

There do seem to be some lines that people don't cross here. There are different aspects of canna-business that fall into a "gray area". Talking about the money laundering side of the equation is not okay. No one really seems to talk about distribution, but there's a ton of really interesting anecdotes there. I've found that this area takes at least as much care as the growing side in order to ... bloom. I made mistakes along the way in the relationships that I chose to take part in. Most were not necessary, but I couldn't have done it without others. At the very least, you need to know a guy. You could definitely eloborate on this subject.

Is it okay to make money from others in this industry? I'd really like to talk about that, but again, I don't want to implicate myself even further.

There was a lot that I sacrificed to get this going. I lost good friends, and I left a solid career. I gave up the 401k and the health insurance. I gave up any "right" to any type of an income. I had to become comfortable with the idea that an uscrupulous LEO may take my property in forefiture. There was much "chaffing" about this idea amongst my family. I don't have a criminal record, but I have been persecuted by those around me for loving marijuana my ENTIRE life. I have become disenfranchised.

When I decided to do this, there was not a single person who thought I was making a good choice. It was the first truly independent choice that I have ever made. To book it Robert Frost style, and to take the road less traveled is incredible, exciting and new. It's also really lonley.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference"
-Robert Frost

Canna i know exactly where you are coming from. The challenges that society puts on us & loneliness we endure are mere speed bumps in life we tackle daily. Dont think your are alone bro, i'm in the same boat as are many others. As long as the pride & satisfaction out weighs the negatives you are on the right track. keep up good work brother!

Latest posts

Latest posts