What's new

The Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Just finished the 'ware tetralogy by Rudy Rucker. Have enjoyed many of his books over the years, but had never read any of those 4 before...

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Almost finished with the Hunger Games. Never saw the movie. Prepared to start Catching Fire tonight.

What did ya think PV?..I loved the books, couldnt put em down, I havent seen the movie yet either...I want to, just havent had a chance to yet. I know it wont be as good as the books but still want to check it out.

Princess Vahall

Veteran
What did ya think PV?..I loved the books, couldnt put em down, I havent seen the movie yet either...I want to, just havent had a chance to yet. I know it wont be as good as the books but still want to check it out.

The book is great! Been reading like a crazy person, lol :)

Kit Kat

As long as you look at it from a "Damn, well, I guess they WOULD have to drop that it'd be a bit complicated to cram in" the movie is pretty awesome. Everything that seriously needed to be there made it in, and I almost always hate book->movie adaptations for going off in the way wrong direction. Anyone remember The Firm? Movie did a complete 180!

I just finished James Clavell's Shogun and someone recommended Taiko to me as a follow up, but it's just not doing it and I'm kinna lagging on picking anything else up. Any medieval/eastern historical fiction or history someone would recommend?

dbuzz

Veteran
I'm reading Stranger in a Strange Land atm. My friend's dad talked me into it. Anyone ever read it?

e4ian

Im still on Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers.
Houmer s been deleted as there is a NIEVE HYPOCRITE i don't want reading my post.
Apologies to Good people ?.but not you THE ......... . On the contrary. Lol.
e

(remember the latter more is known about you than you know about yourself.)
So keep your shallow words concerning me to yourself [Others will,spose you must be immune to the stuff!].For your OWN mental health at the end of the day.

Last edited:

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
I dont know enough about any of that to make any statement

I dont know much if anything at all about the personal lives of probably all the authors and press I read ... I am judging content and intelligence of the writer

I understand how you may feel !

Still - in the case of Ayn Rand ... none of that comes out in any of her books - and there is no taking away the fact that " The Fountainhead " ... and " Atlas Shrugged " are classics, fantastic and exceptional books ... that were written some 60-70 years ago ... are a still a joy to read

just cant agree, ever.. they fill me with the opposite of joy, her logic and reason for spreading it makes my skin crawl,, i suggest you look deeper into the authors that write what you are reading, since everything is propaganda to an extent and everything has a floating (maliable) definition, if you dont research deeper into why someone is saying what they are saying and who they are, you are susceptable to being led atray from forming your own opinion,, some of the things she said were right just for totally the wrong reasons, she knew very well why she was saying what she was saying,, and it was not for the betterment of mankind, which was partly the shroud she hid behind..

and after all no book is gospel of course..

V

vonforne

I have started reading ´Vox compact Spanish & English Dictionary and Beginning Spanish by Jean Yates, PH.D:

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
I'm reading Stranger in a Strange Land atm. My friend's dad talked me into it. Anyone ever read it?

ONly Heinlein Book I couldn't get through sorry to say. I read basically everything he ever wrote. TIme enough for Love was another that I barely got to the end of. That book had such trippy repetitive themes you never knew if you were in the beginning or end of the story. The first Heinlein I read was the Green Hills of Earth...some good sex scenes in that one.

Good luck with Stranger... I hope it blows your mind in the way it is supposed to.

e4ian

just cant agree, ever.. they fill me with the opposite of joy, her logic and reason for spreading it makes my skin crawl,, i suggest you look deeper into the authors that write what you are reading, since everything is propaganda to an extent and everything has a floating (maliable) definition, if you dont research deeper into why someone is saying what they are saying and who they are, you are susceptable to being led atray from forming your own opinion,, some of the things she said were right just for totally the wrong reasons, she knew very well why she was saying what she was saying,, and it was not for the betterment of mankind, which was partly the shroud she hid behind..

Interesting Word is Propaganda Lost'.Yes Propaganda's everywhere but what is odd and a contradiction is the word seems to be mainly used by the Media during wars/or to slamm the dictator [etc]!
Fools, ..surrounding PROPAGANDA is what cause's war in the FIRST PLACE.

Monkey see Monkey do

Sundance

Hahahaha

I am not on a quest to learn about the personal lives of authors - if I were I would read autobiographies

Additionally there are some people who write books that I have zero respect for - so I wont be buying or reading their books

I read Ayn Rands " The Fountainhead " a long time ago - and thought it a great book

I decided to read " Atlas Shrugged " many years ago after reading an article about the book in the NYT's ... which also mentioned that it was required reading at Harvard's Business School

I read the books ... added it all up ... and formed " my own opinion " - which I have repeated ad nausea in this thread

" The Fountainhead " ... and " Atlas Shrugged " ... are great books - well thought out ... intelligently written ... classics in literature ... and highly recommended

Read and enjoy

You are entitled to your opinion - which I dont agree with ... but so what ?

Did you read these books ?

Thanks

Sundance

Kit Kat

I decided to read " Atlas Shrugged " many years ago after reading an article about the book in the NYT's ... which also mentioned that it was required reading at Harvard's Business School

I read the books ... added it all up ... and formed " my own opinion " - which I have repeated ad nausea in this thread

" The Fountainhead " ... and " Atlas Shrugged " ... are great books - well thought out ... intelligently written ... classics in literature ... and highly recommended

I've read Atlas Shrugged a half-dozen times throughout various points in my life, starting with being young and credulous to now, where I can't see Rand's point adding up, anywhere.

Shrugged's entire premise is that the Captains of Industry make the world move around and only the looters are keeping them, and thus the world, held behind. Her characters are all striding Gods of perfection, and even their imperfections (casual rape for example) are but blips that mortals cannot comprehend the beauty of for their flaws, but are never explained, it's just assumed that you the reader will accept this without question.

The entire book is a monument to the childish set of libertarian ideals, with no investigation into what happens outside the self - that no one matters outside these Gods of Capital and whoever happens to get in their way except a few bones thrown here and there, such as the trickle-down theory repackaged in novel form.

I mean, for anyone who HASN'T read Atlas Shrugged do yourself a favor and just read John Galt's 50 page opus that was supposedly delivered to a captive audience over radio for like, four hours or whatever. It tells you everything you need to know without the 1000 pages of pretentious bullshit.

It's followed by all these perfect-producer characters disappearing up their own assholes in a valley wherein she invokes deus-ex-machina for it to even make the slightest bit of sense (hint, it doesn't).

Oh, here's the opus: http://galtse.cx/

Sundance

I've read Atlas Shrugged a half-dozen times throughout various points in my life, starting with being young and credulous to now, where I can't see Rand's point adding up, anywhere.

Shrugged's entire premise is that the Captains of Industry make the world move around and only the looters are keeping them, and thus the world, held behind. Her characters are all striding Gods of perfection, and even their imperfections (casual rape for example) are but blips that mortals cannot comprehend the beauty of for their flaws, but are never explained, it's just assumed that you the reader will accept this without question.

The entire book is a monument to the childish set of libertarian ideals, with no investigation into what happens outside the self - that no one matters outside these Gods of Capital and whoever happens to get in their way except a few bones thrown here and there, such as the trickle-down theory repackaged in novel form.

I mean, for anyone who HASN'T read Atlas Shrugged do yourself a favor and just read John Galt's 50 page opus that was supposedly delivered to a captive audience over radio for like, four hours or whatever. It tells you everything you need to know without the 1000 pages of pretentious bullshit.

It's followed by all these perfect-producer characters disappearing up their own assholes in a valley wherein she invokes deus-ex-machina for it to even make the slightest bit of sense (hint, it doesn't).

Oh, here's the opus: http://galtse.cx/

Thank you Kit Kat for your reply

You have read Atlas a half dozen times - why ? ... especially after your review ?

Atlas is a big book - the only part that I found difficult to read ... and skipped thru it - is (as your quote above) Galt's speech towards the end of the book - the rest of the book was awesome

Dagney Taggart - is a fantastic character

I read the book a while ago ... and have recommended ... go to Amazon ... and read customer reviews - which sum it up more eloquently than I

I kinda like this one

From Amazon

" I want to say from the beginning that one does not need to agree with a philosophy to appreciate it. Obviously most of the critics and some of the supporters have never read this work. One need not approve of communism to give the Communist Manifesto a high rating but it is certainly a must read.

Ayn Rand's philosophy is known as objectivism. It is essentially having a objective reason and purpose for every action you commit.

Atlas Shrugged is one of two major novels that outlines her entire philosophy while trying to show how it would be applied. That is why this book deserves a 5 star rating. Any philosopher can give generic ideas with no application. Rand puts it all on the line to show exactly how she means her philosophy to be interpreted.

The student of philosophy will be able to understand her philosophy quite clearly after reading this. If you agree with her philosophy you should encourage others to read this book. If this book is so clearly wrong then you should encourage others to read it so they will see how clearly wrong it is. Those that want it burned or object to others reading it know that she offers some very strong arguments for a position they clearly do not want to be true.

This book takes place probably around the 1950s. It is centered around the industrial sector of the U.S., the only government that has not become a People's State. The main character in this book is Dagny Taggart. She is a no-nonsense VP of Operations for the largest railroad in the world. She is intelligent and is solely driven to keeping her RR as the best.

The times are dim and getting dimmer. In the beginning the country is in a recession of sorts and it is up to Taggart and others like her to save the country. There are two problems that are preventing her from doing this. One, the government seeks more and more control when it should be stepping away. Second, the men of industry are disappearing one by one just when they are critically needed. No one knows where they go off to.

In the sense of a novel this is a good one. It is suspenseful and intriguing. Everyone can identify with the characters in this book. Most of the antagonists have been left rather shallow. That is on purpose. They are supposed to represent certain elements of society. This book can get dry at times. One man has a 60 page speech that can seem a little preachy at times but is wholly necessary within the context of the novel.

Ayn Rand is perhaps the best known and widest read philosopher of the 20th century. If you have any interest in philosophy or economics then this is a must read. Don't fear her teachings. An open mind is a dangerous thing to some people.

The most important thing to remember is not to take everything you read here as dogma. Think for yourself and apply whatever ideas make sense to you and ignore that which you don't like. Think for yourself. I think Rand would object to anyone blindly following her philosophy without actually believing in it. No one says you can't be charitable to others. Just make sure you do it of your own volition and not because it is expected of you or because you feel guilty. "

Anyone interested ... should read more customer reviews at Amazon - or better ... buy and read Ayn Rand's books ... " The Fountainhead " ... and ... " Atlas Shrugged "

" Think for yourself and apply whatever ideas make sense to you and ignore that which your dont like "

Sundance

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
do you like Sci Fi?

if so this is some of the absolute best

Eisenhorn_cover_2_8835.jpg

Inquisitor Eisenhorn is one on the most senior members of the Imperial Inquisition. With his warband he scourges the galaxy in order to root out heresy. When that heresy is found to infiltrate the hierarchy of the Imperium and the Inquisition itself, he must rely on himself alone to deal with it - even if it means making deals with the enemy. All three books of the Eisenhorn trilogy along with two short stories and Eisenhorn's case book and compendium are included in one big volume

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Just finished Rise and Fall of Great Civilizations... little wonky in places but informative.

Now it's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Everyone must read Orange Sunshine..

Written by Nicholas Schou - is the story of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love - ie BOEL.

I found it very inspiring...

dank.Frank