What's new

The Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related

Sundance

I love historical fiction.

If your interested in learning about some of the world's great artists - I very highly recommend anything by Irving Stone

" The Agony and the Ecstasy " - Michaelangelo

" Lust for Life " - Van Gogh

" Depths of Glory " - Pissaro

Awesome ... as are all his books !

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
I have a lot I'm reading

514GS4J8A5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

About a guy who wants to make a movie about pot smuggling and runs out of money so he starts smuggling pot.

and lots of sci-fi
51yLmONpuGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

515pDb11RML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51FdcIWDHXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sundance

i always say that ayn rand is philosophy for psychopaths.

a good overview about her warped ideas can be found in adam curtis' doc "all watched over by machines of loving grace"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Wa..._Loving_Grace_(television_documentary_series)

???

Are you saying that anyone who read ... and enjoyed Any Rand's books - are psychopaths ?

Ayn Rand's books are well thought out ... intelligently written ... classics in literature

In fact " Atlas Shrugged " was ... maybe still is ... required reading at Harvard Business School

My advice - read thru the reviews of " The Fountainhead " ... and " Atlas Shrugged " on Amazon - see what the public (after they read them) thinks of these books ... buy a copy ... read ... learn ... and decide for yourself

The link you left dont say much to me

All the best

Sundance

M

MsSweetPea

I'm currently reading The Amber Room by Steve Berry. It's a little slow moving @ times, but a good read. :ying:

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Just picked up Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. I've seen a couple movies based off his writings but first time reading any of his work.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
???

Are you saying that anyone who read ... and enjoyed Any Rand's books - are psychopaths ?

Ayn Rand's books are well thought out ... intelligently written ... classics in literature

In fact " Atlas Shrugged " was ... maybe still is ... required reading at Harvard Business School

My advice - read thru the reviews of " The Fountainhead " ... and " Atlas Shrugged " on Amazon - see what the public (after they read them) thinks of these books ... buy a copy ... read ... learn ... and decide for yourself

The link you left dont say much to me

All the best

Sundance

I read Fountain Head and Atlas Shrugged back in the late 60s. I have read the rest as well, "Anthem" is an eye opener. I also have Philosophy: Who Needs It. I pull them out every 5-10 years and see a new perspective

You point to required reading for Harvard Biz students, and therein lies the problem. Alan Greenspan was one of the groupies back when they were young... anyway, her true meaning was diverted by the greedy rich and the rest is , well, history.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sands of Time by Sean David Morton.

Fascinating if you ever wondered what was really behind Montauk, Philadelphia Experiment, Men in Black, Black Ops,...

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Reading: Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs

Have Read:
Most of HST works (own most of the rest... matter of time)

Fight Club and Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

Sailor Song and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
by Ken Kesey

41I4OtWM14L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Really good book and very easy/fast read

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
NO ONE HAS READ THE "HELPING FRIENDLY BOOK"????

TreyIsWilson.jpg

"a tree of knowledge in your soul will grow

And the Helping Friendly Book will plant the seed

But I warn you that all knowledge seeming innocent and pure

Becomes a deadly weapon in the hands of avarice and greed."

:joint: :joint: :joint: :joint:

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Reading P.J. O´Rourke "The CEO of the sofa", J.S.Foer "Eating Animals", Alan Moore "V for Vendeta" and Fabio Moon&Gabriel Bá "daytripper".
Just finished "The Silence of Our Friends" about the USA civil rights struggle and i recommend it to anyone into graphic novels or the subject in question.

Galactic

The Koran Interpreted
a translation by A.J. Arberry

"Certainly the most beautiful English version, and among those by non-Muslim translators the one that comes closest to conveying the impression made on Muslims by the original."

just like to open up the mind... Many times subtle layers understanding are lost in translation... All the religious/spiritual books... Are but A perspective... Look at the modern day horror of Engrish and it baffles me how many take religion literal in this day and age... Have we all forgotten how to feel and simply Understand the essence within