What's new

The beginning of my solution

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Hey I have a question/situation.

I have never had a hermi before but my Purple kush is def a hermi. I was doing an inspection on my plants and noticed those infamous bananas sacks. A lot of them too! I probably plucked off 50-60 of them.

Here is my question. Should I harvest this plant now or keep plucking the sacks and let it finish out?

I did separate it from everyone else and put her into her own tent with an LED.

I just dont know how to approach this Hemri because I never dealt with one before.

Any advice would be much appreciated! :tiphat:

J

J.C.grower

sorry to hear about your hermi benny.. i would cut her down now before it starts getting worse and making seeds...jus my opinion. good luck brotha!:joint:
JC

Bennyweed1

Veteran
sorry to hear about your hermi benny.. i would cut her down now before it starts getting worse and making seeds...jus my opinion. good luck brotha!:joint:
JC

I know it just breaks my wee lil heart! Poor purple Kush.

I really dont wanna chop her thou..if I just inspect the plant every two days I should be able to catch all the nanners before the bust open???

I dont know how fast they grow though..

lol when I for noticed them today I was like" WTF IS ThAT" I thought some bug laid eggs or something....they for sure look strange if you never seen them before.

The up side is the pluck out real easily...

Im just bummed I wont be able to grow this strain anymore. Its my first time working with her and it is the most purple strain I have ever seen.

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Damn it, I cant effin win!

My PE has powder mildew on her! Is this what growing in a basement does to a guy!!!!

J

J.C.grower

looking great BW!
glad those nanners are out of the way for ya! just plucked some on my purple dragon..hopefuly none reproduce..that Jack Flash looks soo nice and fat.great job man!:tiphat:
JC

Bennyweed1

Veteran
I built a liquid cooling system. It is not a finished product by any means. I used a lot of stuff I had around the house like pumps, and the reservoirs. I want to see if it would work.

IT DOES!

So things I plan to buy to make it a more solid system are:

(2) 35-40g steal reservoirs with smooth full contact bottoms.

2 real pumps that can give me some head and pressure.

A real heat exchanger for inside the tent (something like Hydro Innovations Ice Box)

I first want to spend some time researching, trying to find something I can either build or something larger than the Ice Box.

I only ran 20ft of copper heat loop on the floor. I wanted to see what kind of results I would get.

Here is my simple, inexpensive, effective, and virtually free liquid cooling system.......

Resev. 1. This resev. runs the ground floor heat loop.
DSCF2362.jpg

DSCF2363.jpg

I placed all my soil bins on top of the heat loop for better contact. They are mostly full of cooking organic soil.
DSCF2364.jpg

DSCF2401.jpg

DSCF2402.jpg

Its also modular. I can add more heat loops if I need too which I plan adding 30' more for good measures.

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Resev. 1 with the return line coming off the heat loop. 120gph pump.
Also the coil in Resev. 1 is being used to chill Resev. 2
DSCF2365.jpg

Resev. 2 with a 120gph pump running water through the coil in Resev 1.
Also a float valve to refill it automatically. Its all RO/DI water which I also use to water everything.
DSCF2368.jpg

And here is the make shift/ghetto heat exchanger in the tent placed above a cooling fan. Once I figure out a permanent solution this coil will replace the plastic coil I have running into Resev. 1 cooling Resev. 2.
DSCF2374.jpg

Here is the static temp. of both reservoirs combined after 4 hours of running 42.3F. Both Resev. are filled with 35g each of H20. 70g total.
The ambient basement air is about 59-60 F year round also.
DSCF2403.jpg

And here is the temp inside of the tent after 4 hours of running. 69.8F w/65% PH (too high!). I have to figure out a way to regulate the flow of water, or get a fan speed control thermo stat so I can raise the temp.
DSCF2391.jpg

The cool thing about this system is I plan to run Co2. So once I get the equipment, ill need to raise the temp to about 82-85F. There will be no problem maintaining that temp.

Also, now since this is a closed loop system my humidity is jacked up! Ill have to invest in a dehumidifier but would like to know if anyone has experience using small Thermoelectric dehumidifiers? Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Edv-2...W6KQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1335413751&sr=8-5

I only want to dehumidify both tents and not the entire basement. Trying to do this as efficiently as possible. That small dehumidifier only consumes 80w. 30 pints a day. Both tents combined are 350cu. ft.

Bennyweed1

Veteran
And here is tent 2
72 degrees
56% RH (too high!)
DSCF2383.jpg

I have 2 - 220 cfm fans tying both tents together making them a closed loop system with relatively even temp. variance. Just need to get something to control RH.

And here is the total power consumption of both flower tents and the liquid cooling system.

One 600w HPS
500w of LEDs
Two fans and a carbon filter
all the pumps running the cooling sys.

12.48 amps
DSCF2393.jpg

1191 total watts.
DSCF2395.jpg

I am very satisfied with my outcome :ying:

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Harvested the Purple Kush and Jack Flash. Both were taken down about 12 days early but I have been out of smoke for a while and refuse to buy any...

Purple Kush:
DSCF2411.jpg

DSCF2409.jpg

DSCF2408.jpg

DSCF2410.jpg

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Well since I assembled a liquid cooling system it only made sense to get the co2 equipment.

I bought everything I needed off Amazon for $272.00 shipped via 2 day air.

I bought one Co2 controller and one portable hot water heater.....aka......liquid cooled Co2 generator. Same thing hydro innovation sells for $300+.

Cant wait to hook all this shit up!!!!!! I bought a small 3.2a 25pint dehumidifier and have my RH dialed down to 40% RH.

I cant remember.....do I need to raise me RH or keep it around 35-40% when supplement co2? I swore I had to raise it but cant remember. Any insight would be awesome!!!! +rep for some solid advice!!

Geeze I have wanted to run co2 for years! Last time I priced checked everything about a year about it would have cost me $450+. big price difference and that is awesome :hello:

Thanks for looking!

Co2 gen:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J4AU2E/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

Co2 controller:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480H93O/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

J

J.C.grower

nice job with the pk and JF bennyweed!
im thiking bout chopping one of my ladies down, also because running empty. lol..
looks like your a very innovated person, really like that water cooling system you assembled, and very interested to see how your co2 system works out. good luck!:tiphat:
JC

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Just loaded up six new plants in one of the flower tents...for their new arrival of co2 which will be here Monday.

DSCF2419.jpg

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Some little veg action

I bought new T5s...they are nice, got mixed spectrum blubs..20,000 lumens

DSCF24311.jpg

Mothers
DSCF24321.jpg

Clones
DSCF24331.jpg

DSCF24361.jpg

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
nice work there ben. you've made quite an investment in time and $ and results speak for themselves. love growing organic, looks as if you do also.
be seein ya!

Latest posts

Latest posts