What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thai's Blooper Reel

thailer

is the 4” drain pipe just to create a larger void to act as the reservoir? last time i had looked at sip it was one container set into another with a wicking column connecting. this seems simpler and less materials :good:

yes! it helps support the soil but is there to create a void for more water. the perlite is lightweight and acts as a wick across the entire bottom. the soil level isn't as deep as it is wide and in the video i watched on youtube, the guy Albopepper said that the soil depth determines how moist the soil will be and said 16" is perfect. the water can only wick up so high. so if you have a SIP thats got a shallow bed, the soil will be rather moist. if you have a deep bed, the top soil will dry out and you'll need to top water.

a lot of the designs i saw had the soil sitting on top of a tote lid that had a hole in the middle where the soil goes down into the reservoir to soak up the water. i think that leaves the soil soggy in one part and sometimes i see brown roots. i've seen ones like earthbox where the soil sits on a grate and in each corner theres holes where soil goes down into the reservoir. i have one like that outdoors and its pretty good. it comes with a plastic sheet for covering the soil. i'm going to try a 2-3" thick layer of straw instead. so far with no plants, sitting in my grow room which typically dries out my fabric pots, the soil is moist and i've barely added any water to it. I think that keeping the soil out of standing water and having it sit on top of a wick that will distribute water evenly across the bottom will make the soil evenly saturated and there won't be any soggy brown roots, gnats or over watered plants.

i'm going to transplant a clone into it today. lets see how well it works with a small clone that is freshly rooted.

also, the plants i just put in that i made soil with ewc from the farm that are doing amazing, I am almost certain i used compost instead of peat moss when i built the soil so its 1/3 malibu compost (what i was trying to avoid) 1/3 ewc, 1/3 perlite. lol

so this whole couple rounds i've been trying to figure out with these big 20 gallon pots that it must be the compost sources and trying different brands then trying out the castings, i think the whole issue is me not giving them enough water. i harvested ORange Cream and took the KIS soil out of the fabric pot and put in a new SIP. the root ball felt moist on top where i am watering but the bottom and basically most of it was dry as a bone. i think it gets too dry during stretch and then i can't get it moist again. i don't have a problem in veg because i use plastic pots which i think keep moisture better personally and i can pick up to water so i know how much to add. the big pots are heavy and when the plant gets big, good luck even getting close to it to grab the handles. lol

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Ok, so does the soil go directly on top of the perlite, no landscape cloth to keep the two layers separate? I guess cloth may interfere with the wicking process?

thailer

Ok, so does the soil go directly on top of the perlite, no landscape cloth to keep the two layers separate? I guess cloth may interfere with the wicking process?

yep!! well i am not certain that landscaping cloth would interfere with the wicking, i think full contact with the perlite would be better so that's why i didn't use a barrier between the two. i did however mix up some soil using compost that i thought was peat moss and so i added water and it barely drained and pooled on the surface. so i removed that and it was a lot easier than i thought. you can fill the perlite bottom and so i just scooped it off and left a little bit left on the perlite. it barely disturbed it. i was pretty happy about that.

thailer

well i got the last of the cheesedog beans in the mail and i'm gonna start to pop them. tomorrow is my birthday and i'm planning on spending the day mothering these bean babies. i have so much on my mind and i'm starting to get old. lol Spending the day alone in the garden sounds really nice. listen to a little funk music.

I'm going to harvest two plants early and put in a new plant. i think think six plants max to fill the room and leaves me a little wiggle room to push plants aside to get in to water. eight fit in there but its very squished and frustrating to work with.

what are you guys doing in your gardens?

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Happy birthday to you!!

You mean funk as in George Clinton?

Fighting powdery mildew is my weekend. Probably spraying milk to buy some time!!

thailer

Happy birthday to you!!

You mean funk as in George Clinton?

Fighting powdery mildew is my weekend. Probably spraying milk to buy some time!!

Thank you!! It's been a pretty good birthday week!

almost like george clinton! I have a pandora radio station called Papa Was A Rolling Stone and it's all The Temptations funkier stuff plus anything similar to that time. i absolutely love it! it's either that, or I listen to 80's female rock like Joan Jett. The whole time I'm singing at the top of my lungs. :laughing:

do you have good air flow? i really need to work on that with the newer bloom room.

thailer

these poor Tranquil Elephantizer F2's have been in a 1/8 gallon of soil for a looooong time. I mention once that the description is for canna love lube and it suddenly became the cat's meow. first pics i think i've taken of them.

picture.php

So the new light setup in the new room is interesting....there's definitely a shadow in the middle and it would really benefit from a paired setup. i figured but i thought i would try it out. i'm going to try and borrow a light meter and if needed i will find another light. Here is the first round of GMO under a HPS with a mag ballast.

picture.php

and here she is at the same week under the phantom DE reflector. i gave her an extra cubic foot of soil and i vegged her less but she stretched more than she did last time. does she look lanky? do i need more light? she is in a prime spot for great light.

picture.php

and then theres a pic of mac1. she is over vegged and didn't like going from a HPS to the DE very well and faded pretty quick. i just put in a bigger one today. its in a new batch of soil that so far has been the best i've mixed yet. really been happy with this soil. i have some pics of those girls too.

picture.php

thailer

Here's my sad lookin but hefty GMO first round i've flowered her. She is another half HPS half DE. The buds though are just stacked and i can see why she is so popular. i think she is going to be the first pack of beans i search through that i'll use the cheese dog male i pick.

picture.php

Here is Orange Cream from the good soil i mixed i'm guessing about three weeks in bloom.

picture.php

picture.php

and then there's Jelly Breath cascade cut

picture.php

picture.php

thailer

and then The One

picture.php

picture.php

I also started germination on the cheesedog beans. i am not certain how exactly this is going to work but i'm planning on putting my plants i have on hold and keeping them in small containers hidden out in an old chicken house that you don't notice as it blends into the barn. it has a separate door that is at the back of the barn that one wouldn't go looking for. i am hoping to hide as many plants in veg out there with some LED lights and natural sun from windows this summer.

so clones from the 20 seeds can go out there, plus these ladies and all i will have in my grow room in the garage is the flowering cheesedog. i can have 15 plants and i'm betting i will be just about fine in case a state inspector comes by. never has but i did the math on what i'll end up having at the highest turning point and its enough. i might cull some of the moms and then get them back at a later point.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Just finished reading through your thread, Happy birthday bro! Not sure if you got an answer to your question on reversing male plants, ethephon is what you spray to make them express as female (ill update with a link to the thread when I get behind my computer next).

Ive been growing in Washington for 8 years and really havent been compliant under the 15 plant limit ever lol, Ive never had a compliance check nor anyone I know. Started as three 1000 watt HPS over 45-50 plants in rockwool sea of green flower cycles. Before pulling the plug and selling the house little over a year ago we had twenty 1000w lights running and ~200 plants in perpetual rotation. My main concern was the power company reporting suspicious power usage, ~$800 month power bills lol.

thailer

Just finished reading through your thread, Happy birthday bro! Not sure if you got an answer to your question on reversing male plants, ethephon is what you spray to make them express as female (ill update with a link to the thread when I get behind my computer next).

Ive been growing in Washington for 8 years and really havent been compliant under the 15 plant limit ever lol, Ive never had a compliance check nor anyone I know. Started as three 1000 watt HPS over 45-50 plants in rockwool sea of green flower cycles. Before pulling the plug and selling the house little over a year ago we had twenty 1000w lights running and ~200 plants in perpetual rotation. My main concern was the power company reporting suspicious power usage, ~$800 month power bills lol.

Thank you! it was a pretty relaxing day. I did find out what they were using except i've been thinking about it and i don't have time or space to keep males that long. i would like to but even if plant limit wasn't a factor, space is and i don't think outside would be good either. my house is literally getting a new housing development built right next to it. i can watch city inspectors for the utilities from my house window and the dust from it is like a huge cloud. it's going to be like this for probably three more years. when they use this steam rolling machine, the stuff on the shelves shake and it sounds like an earthquake.

when it was just medical, i was told that if someone reports you, then they will come but it was pretty lax so if plant count was over they let you pick which plants to cull to bring it down to 15 and would just come do a check to make sure you stayed compliant.

man PSE sucks. our house is wood heat only and the bill can still get as high as $350 in cold months. thats running just a few lights. its a private company though so i would hope they would not care. :laughing:

really the main goal of the hunt is to find a cheese tasting female and a resinous male or just a cheese so i can put seeds away for the future. i just want funky moldy bleu cheese smell like this one old strain i could only smoke and never get the cut.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Ive decided males really arent worth wasting grow medium/soil, space or time on. Im not aware of any problems with reversing females and making femenized seed crosses. Selfing 3-4 generations in a row is known to cause problems though. With female plants multiple cuttings of different strains can be grafted to one rootstock to serve as a multi strain mother to reduce plant #s also.

Sucks about the housing development getting put in, good thing air filters are cheap lol. You thinking about or doing anything outdoor this season?

Cops got called on us one time 2017 by our neighboor for putting 30 plants in our front yard in 30 gallon fabric pots no fence. We had a copy of the Medical Co-op paperwork hanging on a post in front of the plants, they got out of the car looked at the paperwork and drove off without even knocking on the door lol. The guy I grew with got a bunch of weed, dab, edibles etc all pre packaged for sale and scales confiscated by a park ranger on Mt Rainer when he had his kid with him 2017. Cps contacted him about wanting to do a walkthrough and did, but we never heard anything from the department of health or about garden compliance then either.

I was/am now on Elmhurst power 0.05545 cents per Kwh. PG&E is at 0.088594 cents per Kwh about 40% higher, not nearly as bad as some utility rates ive seen in California though.

thailer

there's going to be so much dust in the air that nothing i plan on smoking will go outside but i might try and hide some plants for making beans outdoors. very small plants hidden in the landscaping but the yard is now open up to the public. before i was surrounded by woods and had a lot of privacy.

while i'm not exactly sure how to read my power bill, i think the first 600w is billed at a certain price thats cheap and then anything over that is 0.037 per kwh.

Mt. Rainier is federal land and weed isn't legal when you visit there. i think people forget that but i'm sure that isn't the first person they found smoking weed in the woods. I was thinking about being a park ranger for a season. the pay is not the best but wouldn't it be a cool job? the weed smoking was the thing that has held me back because i don't think i could go that long with no pot.

thailer

Orange cream at 30 days
picture.php

Orange cream at three weeks super happy in the new soil
picture.php

The One at day 30
picture.php

Harvested this early because she was a blooper. next round looks much better. North cascade cut of jelly breath

picture.php

Master Hemp in the new SIP after transplant a week ago. She is looking great currently. Out of the several pheno's, this one tests 14% cbd and 0.5% thc and the RSO test came back at 56% CBD and 3% THC. I have a friend that has a lot of store credit and was looking for stuff to buy to get rid of it, bought me a nonstick SLX grinder. I am hoping to roll some spliffs and lower the tobacco over time till i am smoking pure cbd flower. maybe i can quick smoking because i can't smell my flowers right now. won't be much of a pheno hunt on the cheese dog beans which are growing excellent too.

picture.php

thailer

picture.php

Not enough humidity?? i don't have a thermometer in this room because it broke. it feels humid but its also hotter in this room. she was super happy in the veg room but the environment is a lot better in that room. all the other plants are fine but Mac sure seems to prefer the 75F and 75% rh room she used to be in.

Other than that, the weather has been amazing and i am busy in the veggie garden. i need to build soil for the seedlings today and trim two plants. hope you guys are enjoying the spring weather!

thailer

picture.php

picture.php

harvested mac1 today. i think it's a little early but i honestly didn't keep track of her and how long she was in bloom. the next round of mac looks great and i expect it to look much better than this one. i learned a lot from this first round of growing her.

Orange Cream is doing great and her buds are the biggest i've ever gotten her to be!! i'm really pumped about her because she yields so poorly. i got a half gallon of her and 1 and a half gallon of GMO just for comparison.

transplanted all the cheese dog seedlings into half gallons today too. GMO swelled up on week five that she started leaning against the wall. she needs so much staking. i really hope i can find a nice male that would give her thicker branches and closer internodes/less stretch. she is just too much sometimes.