What's new

Texting While Walking Banned in Fort Lee, N.J.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
this is so fucking stupid... let Darwinism run its course. If we make everything illegal that anyone could die from itll be illegal to breath and eat. its ridiculous as shit. dangerous walkers is an oxy moron in its self.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Hard to believe, but I actually like this law. I live in the city, and I have had people walk right in front of the car, against the light, as they were texting and not even paying attention a little bit to what they were doing. If I didn't jam on the breaks, they would have been a hood ornament.
I should add that I hate cell phones in general and wish they were never invented. Everywhere you go, people are talking in your ear as if you weren't there. If you ever have to ride on a train, you know what I'm talking about. 50 people all talking at once, and not a minute's piece. But I do like the part about letting Darwinism run it's course:)

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I guess he's just giving your state the benefit of the doubt rather than assuming the laws there are REALLY that fucked up.

What's fucked up about expecting someone controling a very heavy, very hard mass barreling down the road with a destructive amount of momentum to pay attention and maintain control? Most people condsider 35 to be a fairly slow/safe speed but did you know there is sufficient force and momentum at that speed to kill a human? That's why most residental street speed limits are 25 or less. Speed limits are in part set based on reasonable response times to avoid an accident by both vehicles and pedestrians. Most people who speed tend to do so because they think they're better drivers and cn handle faster speeds and shorter response times but if someone does 40mph in a 25mph zone have also greatly reduced the chances of a pedestrian crossing in front of a car safely. They make cross thinking they're safe only to find that they aren't.

L

longearedfriend

this reminded me of this time I was coming into the driveway of this chinese restaurant where I was delivering

before I came in a guy passed on the sidewalk, a youngster 18-20 yrs old, he had a ghetto feel to him

he comes to my car and he says I ran over his ipod (that he dropped on the sidewalk)

he shows it to me, it's cracked

and he was telling me I had to buy him another one

sorry bro, I wasn't the one who dropped the ipod

I felt bad for the guy, he didn't seem like he had much money, I told him I might give him a little bit to help him
(in my mind 20$ or less, I didn't tell him)

he wasn't satisfied, I told him I wasn't gonna give him any then

funny how some memories just pop in our heads

What's fucked up about expecting someone controling a very heavy, very hard mass barreling down the road with a destructive amount of momentum to pay attention and maintain control?

There's nothing at all fucked up about that.

There is, however, something really fucked up with charging a driver with a crime, for just cruising down the road and being unable to stop when some dumb ass pedestrian decides to just leap right out in front of him. Last I checked there isn't a single car on the market that can stop instantly from any speed.

Snoopster

Veteran
Well I don't know anyone personally who has hit someone to draw on their experience. All I know is what was taught in a driving class conducted by the State MVA and they taught that even if a pedestrian is crossing illegally the pedestrian has the right of way. Of course someone did ask about what if someone jumps out in front of you at the last second,to which the response was "You'd probably still be charged with involuntary manslaughter if you killed the pedestrian but likely get probation instead of jail time". Now this was back in the 80's so I guess the laws might have changed but since the population has consistently grown larger since the 80's I can't see them making the laws less favorable to pedestrians. I am also making the assumption that since the teacher was a state MVA employee tasked with teaching people the laws, that he was telling me and the rest of the class accurate information? I'm unclear as to what makes you think the laws in Colorado can't be different then the laws of another state?

I guess you were misinformed. Jaywalking does not give you the right of way. I said that laws vary state to state.

Snoopster

Veteran
Because as a driver you are required by law to maintain enough control of your car and it's environment to avoid hitting a person crossing a street whether they do so legally or not.

That doesn't make any sense. If the speed limit is 30 and you are under that, how can you be expected to stop if someone just walks in front of you? You can't expect people to illegally cross all the time. It would be a hazard to constantly slow down or stop to anticipate people illegally crossing.

What if the pedestrian was actually a boulder that rolled out in front of you at the same point you might encounter a jaywalking pedestrian? Are you going to crash into it simply because there were no laws telling you to stop?

Where is it exactly that I would encounter pedestrians and boulders?
Both are common in CO, but not in the same place.

That is crazy. Of course any reasonable human would try to avoid hitting a person. I do not know what you are trying to say.

I mean if there is no accountability then what's to stop people from deliberately running down anyone they see that crosses illegally?

Besides being a normal human?
Are you saying without laws people would just start running down pedestrians? Laws don't stop people from smoking pot.

I just don't see how if someone comes out from two cars and reasonably expect someone to stop.

If you are travelling at 30 mph, a common speed limit in Minneapolis, it takes you about 75 feet to stop.

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that says a person jaywalking in MN has the right of way.

avant gardener

Veteran
Group_HellmuthDominguez_45443PCN_KTown02.jpg

ever wonder what would happen if the filmed glee in the same place as fast and the furious?

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well there's a reason I make ICMag my fav on the web, it's threads like this. Thanks S4L for posting. Read through the whole thing and was thoroughly entertained and enlightened. You guys are the greatest.
...You can't regulate out stupidity.....
Gramps I agree with you. I saw this news story last night and they pointed out peeps walking into walls and each other. I don't text and I've been known to walk into walls! LOL..but walking into other people while texting, that's just rude. Common courtesy and respect for one another prevents that. But as with many things disappearing nowadays common courtesy is following closely behind common sense. As for having a law for it? DD

amannamedtruth

Veteran
I guess you were misinformed. Jaywalking does not give you the right of way. I said that laws vary state to state.

I believe everybody should follow kinetic right of way...walkers, cyclists, then cars....

Cars always seem to make people more narcissistic, angry, and lazy...just my observations...

The difference between this
bubble-boy-movie.jpg

&
This
images

... is that the latter is completely voluntary, powered by fossil fuel, and weighs 2 tons.

Have fun in your steel coffins.

HempKat

Veteran
There's nothing at all fucked up about that.

There is, however, something really fucked up with charging a driver with a crime, for just cruising down the road and being unable to stop when some dumb ass pedestrian decides to just leap right out in front of him. Last I checked there isn't a single car on the market that can stop instantly from any speed.

Well perhaps that's why the instructor taught us that he would be charged with "Involuntary" (beyond one's control) manslaughter rather then being charged with full blown vehicular manslaughter? The involuntary part kind of acknowledges that the driver couldn't stop in time. The point being that if there is a pedestrian walking close enough to the road to jump out in front of someone at the last second the onus is on the driver to proceed with extra caution.

Now if the question had been asked "What if someone jumps out at the last second from behind something a driver can't see around" then maybe the answer would have been different but that's a moot point because it wasn't asked and that's not what happened to bring about this new law.

HempKat

Veteran

I didn't say it gives you the right of way. I said that pedestrians automatically have the right of way, all the time, regardless of whether they cross illegally or not. How do you know I was misinformed either? Were you there? Are you an expert on laws in every state to where you can say unequivocally that what I was told by someone who should be an authority was wrong?

Oh and what you said was

I can't imagine Colorado laws are that different than other states.

HempKat

Veteran
That doesn't make any sense. If the speed limit is 30 and you are under that, how can you be expected to stop if someone just walks in front of you? You can't expect people to illegally cross all the time. It would be a hazard to constantly slow down or stop to anticipate people illegally crossing.

Same way you can expect someone to stop if a boulder rolled out in front of them.

Where is it exactly that I would encounter pedestrians and boulders?
Both are common in CO, but not in the same place.

It was a hypothetical to make the point that most people would stop if the thing they were about to hit would certainly ruin their car and possibly cause them death.

That is crazy. Of course any reasonable human would try to avoid hitting a person. I do not know what you are trying to say.

Then why do you keep arguing the point? For that sake of arguement?

Besides being a normal human?
Are you saying without laws people would just start running down pedestrians? Laws don't stop people from smoking pot.

Well first of all you're trying to compare apples and oranges. Smoking pot does not kill people crossing a road. Also no I'm not saying the laws stop all people just the ones that would be inclined to do it because they could get away with it. Fortunately the vast majority don't really need a law to tell them not to run down pedestrians.

I just don't see how if someone comes out from two cars and reasonably expect someone to stop.

I just don't see why you're questioning a scenario that was never mentioned? Who said anything about someone coming out from between two cars or any other point of concealment?

If you are travelling at 30 mph, a common speed limit in Minneapolis, it takes you about 75 feet to stop.

Yeah but the thing is, you don't have to come to a full stop to allow a pedestrian in front of you to finish crossing your path. Just slowing down can give someone enough time to finish crossing a street.

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that says a person jaywalking in MN has the right of way.

I bet you can't find anything that says a person driving has the right to run down someone that is jaywalking either. Doesn't matter though since I wasn't talking about MN.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I'm thinking the whole concept might easily be compared to an old saying, "He can't chew gum & walk at the same time." which seems most appropriate here.

Every time I had the door for this joint I worked @ in NY I already knew who the wingnuts were as they came in; I'd look up at one when handing back his ID and say, "here ya go Slick, but one of these days you'll need a valid IQ card to drink here." which was ALWAYS met w/a wide-eyed slack jawed "huh?" to which I'd reply "exactly Slick." and turn away from him/them.......

plain and simple some people are not multi-taskers and many are just downright dimwits that walk amongst us posing as normal folk. they are obviously a hazard to others as they try to walk and text. Texting & driving is unlawful w/damn good reason in many states and country's; people are killed, innocent people are killed instantly in these wrecks. Banning texting and walking is the next somewhat logical step being taken to reduce accidents and injuries, I do feel that the law needs to be applied more to certain situations where heavy sidewalk traffic present the most problems, by description perhaps confining it to a 'defined' downtown area.

amannamedtruth

Veteran
wonder when they will ban 'other stuff' while walking, too...like daydreaming.

What about headphones and walking....

your car's radio is a distraction...

I see a guy in my area joggling (juggling and jogging at once) all the time...some people are just better humans...

bentom187

Veteran
we let the government make to many arbitrary laws just to feed spending on both sides,to the point freedom is just a catch phrase and unless we reign them in, its over we might as well be north korea,i would think its even arguable we are'nt that different now,its just so overt and hidden in plain sight,no one thinks anything is wrong with us.
ive been hearing alot about UAV mini drones and i beleive that will be the next thing to hit the streets.

[YOUTUBEIF]0HzGGZeWNE8[/YOUTUBEIF]

[YOUTUBEIF]wKvFH37egYg[/YOUTUBEIF]

[YOUTUBEIF]vxSdLdOyDzU[/YOUTUBEIF]

Snoopster

Veteran
I just talked to a friend that is a lawyer in MN. He said there is no way you are going to be charged with a crime if a guy walks out in front of in the middle of a block and you hit him. He said that if someone is jaywalking, you have to make a reasonable attempt to stop, that is about it.

Again, safely travelling at 30 mph, a car needs about 75 feet to come to a stop. That is more than a quarter of an average city block. It is unreasonable to expect someone to slow down or even stop for a jaywalker. It is dangerous and that is why jaywalking is illegal. A boulder? That is just dumb.

I can not find one instance of someone being charged with involuntary manslaughter for unintentionally running over a jaywalker.

There is currently a crack down on jaywalking in Minneapolis.