What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpene Talk with Extract Consultants

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
re: terpenes, i only like the raw ganja terpenes like the ones from blue river extracts

if it didnt come from weed then i dont want to smoke it

TasteBudds

What was the first year you added terpenes to Cannabis products or THC?

We started selling isolated terpenes almost two years ago and have since expanded our line to include terpene blends and PG and MCT based concentrated flavors.

Not a question, people are isolating single terpenes from Cannabis but they do not sell them because of the raw material costs.

True, or if they do sell them they are VERY expensive.

Do you feel in the long run that people will just add terpenes to THC or whatever and the consumers will be happy with that?

The terpenes we sell are designed to allow the consumer or manufacturer to replace what is lost during the extraction process and the flavors we sell are designed to enhance the flavor of the finished product and to help manufacturers produce a consistent product, every time.

Cannabis has some 150 terpenes found in it you offer 21? Are the rest unimportant?

The others are found in very small quantities relative to the ones we offer. Our product line is based on the terpenes most frequently found in cannabis in higher percentages, if that makes sense.

I suspect most people would prefer a 99.9% resin heads dry sift? If they were not so expensive to produce from dry cured buds that cost to much to use as a raw material, but this will change, and dry sift may well be the smokers choice in the long run.

Is breeding for terpene content and profile the future? Few Cannabis breeders today understand the inheritance of the terpenes but that will change, it is changing today. I predict that future Cannabis breeders will breed for terpenes they want and eliminate terpenes they do not want, as some are undesirable by Cannabis smokers. If you test the herbal bud contests winners for terpenes you see a high correlation between very high terpene contents and the winners of the contests like the Emerald Cup.

Why make solvent extractions if you can have what you want in a form that is made by nature almost perfect, 99.9% resin heads in dry sift of the variety you love most can be over 80% THC and still be rich in terpenes that the plant put there naturally?

This is really the Holy Grail of terpene extraction. At this time, remember that cannabis extracts are primarily derived from byproduct - shake, trim, stems, etc. Essentially the remains of flowers that can't be sold. Most extractors, in our experience, do not run just one strain of flower through their preferred extraction methodology at a time. They throw whatever they have laying around in the pot and run it. If you are capturing the pure terpenes during the extraction process you will have VERY inconsistent terpene profiles produced from batch to batch. That's fine if you're an individual user looking to add terpenes back to your extracts, but if you are a manufacturer that HAS to produce a product consistently, every time so the consumer knows what they are buying, this will never work. Isolated terpenes from other sources, consistently blended in same percentages is really the only way to keep your finished product from tasting like Coke one time, Pepsi another time and RC Cola another time. Does this make sense?

Thanks for the questions! I've been traveling internationally and have had limited access to email.

Best,

Max

-SamS[/QUOTE]

You didn't answer a single question.

It seems you lack affinity with the "market place", which may be why your designs are seriously flawed.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man has selected cannabis plants he liked for thousands of years. This was for many reasons including fiber, seeds, resins, to be used by man. When a farmer keeps seeds of what he likes best, and uses them the next year he does modify the genepool, be it for fibers, seed amounts or size, or the resin that has the Cannabinoids and terpenes. The same approximate amount of THC in a field of plants of a given variety a farmer will select seeds of any special plant that smells or tastes special, and if the terpenes selected potentiate or modify the type of high the farmer will be even more interested. It is obvious that Ganja farmers with only organoleptic analysis were able to select plants that were basically only THC, with little to none of the other non-psychoactive cannabinoids. Cannabis in traditional Ganja centers have high THC with almost no other cannabinoids, Thai, Colombian, are prime examples. By selecting individual plants seeds for thousands of years they ended up with THC only plants, while hashish farmers that did not smoke individual plants selected for resin content, be the resin THC, CBD or other cannabinoids. This is why traditional dry sifted hashish often has as much CBD as THC. Hashish farmers smoke resin from many plants and do not smoke individual plants so much tougher to select the best cannabinoid profile, yet still easy to select the plants with the most resin be it THC or CBD. Much the same happened with terpenes, farmers selected what they liked in taste, smell, effects, and today we have the results of their selections for the last few thousands of years.
-SamS

I wholeheartedly believe that to be true, and yet am still left to wonder about the initial attention that it got by the small cadre in the fertile crescent who developed early agri-food sources from their wild counterpart.

If they did have their hand it it, what was its wild counterpart, and how did it differ?

Alas, only one more mystery from an era where demonstrated technology exceeds "surviving" written history. I wonder what would have been found on the subject in the scrolls lost during the sacking of the Library of Alexandria.............

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alpha pinene is present in varying amounts in many fruits, herbs, spices and really nearly every aromatic plant..so. That being said it is not the culprit for the "skunk" note found in the plant...

Hops are the nearest natural legal smell and even so this arrangement of molecules fails to deliver skunk...

The skunk note is also not present in many varieties of cannabis...and it should be noted that old weed loses the skunk overtime...

The skunk note is not easy to duplicate if it was we would have done it years ago, but there is no one aromatic molecule is responsible for what we all seek...

It is a synergy between many molecules both volition and non-volatile that is most likely responsible.

Are there any thiols involved?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To my knowledge all thiols smell bad.

I would avoid that stuff.

I believe they all smell strongly as well, and it is one of the sulfur bearing molecules in mammal skunk spray. Hence my question.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
If you think single solvent extraction is better then 99.9% dry sift resin heads, then use that. But I doubt you have 99.99% resin heads?
I have never had a solvent extraction of the same materials that I used to make 99.9% resin head dry sift, that the solvent extract was better. I have had my own GC and HPLC lab for decades. When you say 80% THC is not so great for dry sift I disagree, it is beyond great. To many it was a mind blower to see how pure dry sift resin could be with zero solvents. Yes I have done distillates and solvent extractions none were as good, even the 96% pure THC made by me from the dry sifted 80% THC resin with solvents was just not as good as the dry sift itself.
If cleaner was better you would be right, but you are not. I have 99.99% pure THC packed in a glass ampule that is in argon and it is as clear as water, just thicker, zero smell and taste and then when exposed to Oxygen it slowly starts to turn violet and then slowly yellowish orange and reddish. But it is flat and boring and has no individuality, it is the terpenes that contribute what people want with high THC.
Do what you think is best, Blah Blah Blah....
-SamS

Blah blah blah, beat the dead horse some more lol. This is a discussion about terps lets keep it at that, not what they are going in, Its 2016 i think we all know by know what we want to smoke. Have you ever taken you "99,99%" dry sift heads and dissolved them in ethanol at -60c for a day or two?? And 80% isnt that great, thats very easy to hit with a simple single solvent extraction. Distillates and terps are the future for smokers who want the best of the best. After filtration and polishing through a sub micron filter my solvent extraction is so much cleaner then your dry sift heads.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All this talk about terpenes being important ended after spending a few days dabbing The Guild's 99.997% THC-A crystals. With it I soar clear and free with long satisfying spaces between dabs, when I eventually go to BHO later in the day, the terpene rich dabs produce a dreamy state, and I end up going chronic on it, to I assume try and achieve more 'dream.' I have some of The Guild's ~95% also, and just that little bit of added terpenes produces the 'dream' state.

With equal price and availability I'd be dabbing pure crystal exclusively.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Have you tried 99.99% resin heads dry sift of a variety you love?
Try it and then comment.
-SamS

All this talk about terpenes being important ended after spending a few days dabbing The Guild's 99.997% THC-A crystals. With it I soar clear and free with long satisfying spaces between dabs, when I eventually go to BHO later in the day, the terpene rich dabs produce a dreamy state, and I end up going chronic on it, to I assume try and achieve more 'dream.' I have some of The Guild's ~95% also, and just that little bit of added terpenes produces the 'dream' state.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran

When I vaped 100% pure THC I found it boring and one dimensional lacking individuality. Also I get much higher on dry sift 99.9% resin heads then pure THC.
-SamS

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not to argue, I already stated my opinion, but to clarify, to me higher is clearer. No thoughts are good thoughts.

mobin

The only mention of terpenoids i've found in their relation to the mental/physical effects of THC deal with pharmacokinetics, how the terpenes affect bio-availability....nothing about effect modulation.

"Terpenoids improve THC pharmacokinetics by increasing vasodilatation of alveolar capillaries (which permits more absorption of THC by the lungs), and by increasing blood-brain barrier permeability (Agrawal et al. 1989). "

fancy jargon for tepenes make you cough and that's their benefit.

terpene talk feels pretty political at this point....buncha people basing opinions off what they "feel" is happening with a mind altering substance. . . very little talk of why, other than a buncha regurgitated stoner folklore.

I get the scheduling issue make research difficult, hence the lack of valid/current representation in the field, but that's not an excuse to start trusting your "feelings" about anything cannabis related.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ Dude, you were over at my house and hit the pure crystal, and both you and your buddy had very positive response, both in word and facial expression. Mess around with terpenes all you want at this point, but I'm thinking eventually those that like to maintain function at a high level will choose the much less mind diverting pure.

^ Dude, you were over at my house and hit the pure crystal, and both you and your buddy had very positive response, both in word and facial expression. Mess around with terpenes all you want at this point, but I'm thinking eventually those that like to maintain function at a high level will choose the much less mind diverting pure.

I'd enjoy that while you can. In California, that stuff will likely be banned at some point. It's just too "crack" like.

Last edited:

mobin

^ Dude, you were over at my house and hit the pure crystal, and both you and your buddy had very positive response, both in word and facial expression.

right! i've had some high 90s clear, thcA dust, terpfree absolute......

here is all we kinda have

thc is a clearer speedy psychedelic high.
cbd modulates thc effects
cbn- sedative

only thing i've been able to say with any certainty..... is that thc/cbd/cbn ratio seems to me the only modulator in terms of mental/phys "high".

Latest posts

Latest posts