What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenation at Terpene Station

irishmick

ok so the npast few days reading 129 thread pages on terp has been enlighting. thank you all ex: GW AND FE. BUT I HAVE ONE LAST QUESTION I USE MK111 AND THE TERP SITE CLAIMS 450GRAMS IN A 3X18 IS RIGHT I CLAIM IT TO BE TO EXCESSIVE. IM LOOKING FOR OPINIONS WITH MORE EXPERIENCE THAN ME. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE. PEACE LOVE AND CHICKEN GREASE!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have 2 questions mr wolf what causes patches of my slabs to turn into a chewy brownie texture. ive been experimenting for months and the only thing that has kept that from happening is when filling column with less product than specified and by only doing 2 washes. 2 i just read today on this forum that confuses me. when filling up with gas do you double the number when you feel the cold or not. i have your instrutions and im not finding the double part but on the instruct that came with mk3 said double the first number then do floods at initial number. im gonna keep reading but if you have time can you help as these seem to be my only two problem that i cant seem to get a consistant answer about.

Waxing starts from points of nucleation. The waxing spots may have more plant waxes or other particles starting nucleation than the surrounding areas.

Either procedure will work. When you first feel cold, very little butane has passed through the material, but at double the time, ostensibly slightly over one column volume has been passed.

jpdnkstr

@irishmick - I do not have personal experience with the 3" x 18" column, but I also use Terps column calculator to "ESTIMATE" how much material will fit in a tube. Those numbers are not written in stone, and will vary with more factors than packing density. If you are having better luck by using less material, then by all means, do what works best in your situation.

Last edited:
ok so the npast few days reading 129 thread pages on terp has been enlighting. thank you all ex: GW AND FE. BUT I HAVE ONE LAST QUESTION I USE MK111 AND THE TERP SITE CLAIMS 450GRAMS IN A 3X18 IS RIGHT I CLAIM IT TO BE TO EXCESSIVE. IM LOOKING FOR OPINIONS WITH MORE EXPERIENCE THAN ME. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE. PEACE LOVE AND CHICKEN GREASE!

I'm running a MKIII Mod3 3 inch spools and stacked 6x6 spools for collection pot. I find that the 3 x 18 is really more of a 380 to 390 size spool. I've packed them with a full pound and wasn't really happy with the time it took the butane to flood the spool packed that tight.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm running a MKIII Mod3 3 inch spools and stacked 6x6 spools for collection pot. I find that the 3 x 18 is really more of a 380 to 390 size spool. I've packed them with a full pound and wasn't really happy with the time it took the butane to flood the spool packed that tight.

It is a moving target. How much weight you get in it, depends on resin content, water content, particle size, and compaction pressure, so we have to drive a stake in the ground somewhere.

Early on we settled on 4.1 grams per cubic inch for 15% water content trim, reduced to 10 mesh, as an upper end.

A 3" OD X 18" sanitary spool, minus space for filters and wall thickness, holds about 113 cubic inches, so 450 grams wouldn't be excessive.

When running prime trim, lightly broken up, with higher resin and water content, you will get proportionally less.

Somewhere between around 3.4 grams/cubic inch to 4.1 grams would be my best guess, or 384 to 463 grams.

irishmick

antbody know how tro get these new ptfe screens clean after oven time i really like them but are hard to clean any suggestions.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
antbody know how tro get these new ptfe screens clean after oven time i really like them but are hard to clean any suggestions.

PTFE is resistant to strong bases like NaOH, or stronger solvents like acetone, if soaking is required.

NOMAD88

Hi guys and gals. I'm new to this site and this isy first post. I just received my mark 3 with 900 g upgrade, a CPS TRS 21 and MT69. I'm wondering how long it should take to recovery about 9 lbs of n butane. I have a #50/recovery tank. Also my tank pressure which I can read on the MT69 creeps up to about 150. Is that normal. I have tank and MT69 in ice/salt bath. I have 2 stacked 6x12 collection chamber. Do I only need 1 for 9 lbs butane. If anyone could help that would be great.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dump the MT-69 and build a IC-69. 150 psi is too high for efficient recovery.

Check your tank for entrapped air.

piper434

Any opinions on 18 or 20" manways for collection pots. Seems like it will drastically improve recovery times. Rated for 60psi, tested to 70. Should be good right?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
More surface area would sure speed up recovery, but their pressure limits wouldn't meet ANSI/ASME 3X requirements.

The system must meet not only 3X the normal operating pressure, but 3X the pressure the system might logically see if for instance you ran out of refrigeration on a hot day.

n-Butane at 100F has a vapor pressure of 38 psi. 38 psi X3 = 114 psi.

Attachments

• butane-propane mix pressure at temperature.jpg
    butane-propane mix pressure at temperature.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 19

Alliknowisgrow

Hello, is it imperative to have 3 way tee to vacuum lines down before being able to run the mk3? I know oxygen in the system is no good but when i was ordering forgot to add that to my list of stuff because i thought it was included in the package.

Hello, is it imperative to have 3 way tee to vacuum lines down before being able to run the mk3? I know oxygen in the system is no good but when i was ordering forgot to add that to my list of stuff because i thought it was included in the package.

Little amounts of air in the lines is Ok just Make sure to bleed it out of your tank at the end

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

If you leave your flood valve open and tank valve closed, you can vacuum out the butane transfer line as well, when you vacuum out the rest of the system.

Alliknowisgrow

Heres another one for you. I have the 2pd column with concentric reducer. When filling attach bottom concentric reducer and fill but then how do i fill the top conectirc reducer?

Alliknowisgrow

Tried pressure testing my system and then ruined my 3/8 thread on my lid by overtightening possibly. Ordered one from glacier tanks will be here tomorrow. Got all new small from paramount this morning. Taped everything better this time i think any advice how not to ruin another one?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tried pressure testing my system and then ruined my 3/8 thread on my lid by overtightening possibly. Ordered one from glacier tanks will be here tomorrow. Got all new small from paramount this morning. Taped everything better this time i think any advice how not to ruin another one?

I use both PTFE paste and tape to keep the stainless from galling.

Latest posts

Latest posts