What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Terpenation at Terpene Station

Alliknowisgrow

Searched high and low, feel free to call me a dumbass, but i cant figure this out. How do you fill a 2 pound column. It would make sense to connect one concentric reducer to main column and fill but how do i fill the other concentric reducer?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Searched high and low, feel free to call me a dumbass, but i cant figure this out. How do you fill a 2 pound column. It would make sense to connect one concentric reducer to main column and fill but how do i fill the other concentric reducer?

You don't usually fill the concentric reducers with material, unless it is more coffee filters.

Last edited:

Dab Strudel

I was going to do some cleaning on my oven yesterday so I cranked it to 420 to get it nice and hot to be able to clean better..... I left it for a day and when I came back it smelled like crap to say the least. everything that was in the oven was sweated all over the window and the dribblets on the shelves that were little oil spots are not charred and irremovable with anthing shy of a metal scraper, forget elbow grease and ISO. The walls have some of this gunk on it too.

Should I crank it to 500-600 for an hour or two and let it all burn off or would that make it worse? Any other tips to get it to clean?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was going to do some cleaning on my oven yesterday so I cranked it to 420 to get it nice and hot to be able to clean better..... I left it for a day and when I came back it smelled like crap to say the least. everything that was in the oven was sweated all over the window and the dribblets on the shelves that were little oil spots are not charred and irremovable with anthing shy of a metal scraper, forget elbow grease and ISO. The walls have some of this gunk on it too.

Should I crank it to 500-600 for an hour or two and let it all burn off or would that make it worse? Any other tips to get it to clean?

You would need to be in the 700/750F range to oxidize the organics, like is done with a self cleaning oven

jswick93

You don't usually fill the concentric reducers with material, unless it is more coffee filters.

I've always filled my reducers with material on the top and bottom of my 3" x 18" column. This is what Terpp told me to do, as they only provide 1.5" screened gaskets. Can I get the same result using 3" screened gaskets with coffee filters wadded at each end, and just let the reducers stay empty?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've always filled my reducers with material on the top and bottom of my 3" x 18" column. This is what Terpp told me to do, as they only provide 1.5" screened gaskets. Can I get the same result using 3" screened gaskets with coffee filters wadded at each end, and just let the reducers stay empty?

That is how we did it originally. When we went to biflow, we replaced the concentric reducers with end cap reducers.

jswick93

That is how we did it originally. When we went to biflow, we replaced the concentric reducers with end cap reducers.

Would it be as efficient to use the end cap reducers even if not using biflow? Does butane flood the column any better with the concentric reducers?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would it be as efficient to use the end cap reducers even if not using biflow? Does butane flood the column any better with the concentric reducers?

The efficiency is better with a concentric reducer, but the advantage is reduced with biflow, and the difference between the two is minimal.

Alliknowisgrow

Been running the setup for a few days now. Having an issue with color and yield. Color is darker than my open blast and the yield is comparable if not worse. Any suggestions?

Alliknowisgrow

Dry ice on the recovery tank and get it to about 0 to 10 degrees, dry ice in the dewax column about half way up, running 2 lb column which omly fits about a poind of trim. I have the system in a 75 degree water bath during the run.

Dab Strudel

What was the smell... And the residue I wonder.

Residue is def the chips of shatter that drop off between flips.

Smell Id say was because I neglected my oven for 36 hrs after I turned the heat up so high, I assume it was the baking of all that matter for so long burned it. I had it set to 420+ so it was vaping all that crap for a loooong time...

Dab Strudel

nvm I figured it out once I started talking to someone who didnt know what is going on I pieced it together. IDK why they gotta be all difficult about it.

Attachments

• Thread sizes.png
    Thread sizes.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dry ice on the recovery tank and get it to about 0 to 10 degrees, dry ice in the dewax column about half way up, running 2 lb column which omly fits about a poind of trim. I have the system in a 75 degree water bath during the run.

Are you flooding or soaking?

Alliknowisgrow

3.0 PROCESSING
3.2 Turn on ventilation system and put on personal protection equipment (PPE).
3.3 Open all valves on MK-3 and recovery pump.
• Keep valves on Butane tank closed.
3.4 Turn on Vacuum pump and allow it to pump the system down to full vacuum
• Value is dependent on your altitude. E.g. Denver ≈-25inHg San Diego ≈- 29inHg
3.5 Close Dump Valve #3, Input Valve #4, and Vacuum Valve #1
3.6 Turn off Vacuum pump and remove its hose from the MK-3
3.7 Vacuum lines between recovery pump and recovery tank.
• Attach Vacuum Pump to Vacuum Valve #6 on 3-way “T” using 1⁄4” refrigerant charging hose.
• Turn on vacuum pump and pull the lines down to a full vacuum.
• Close vacuum valve #6.
• Turn off Vacuum pump and remove 1⁄4” refrigerant charging hose from valve #6.
3.8 Open valves, liquid and vapor, on the Butane tank.
3.9 Turn on scale and wait for it to read zero
3.10 Fill the soup pot with water that is approximately 80°F and attempt to maintain this temperature throughout the extraction process.
3.11 Turn on your Recovery pump.
3.12 Open Input Valve #4.
• You will notice the scale reading going down as butane fills the column.
3.13 When you feel liquid reach the top of the column, or see it in the sight glass, record the amount of butane required to fill the column as “Column Soak Weight”. (E.g. 1LB).
3.14 When the scale reads two times the column soak weight (E.g. 2LBS) close Input Valve #4 and then Liquid Valve #2.
• ALWAYS close Input Valve #4 then Liquid Valve #2 to prevent back flow into the butane tank.
• We double the Column Soak Weight because it pushes the first amount of butane to the collection pot and refills the column with the second amount of butane.
3.15 Allow recovery pump to pull the system down to -10inHg
• Maintain water bath temp of about 75°to 85°F and ice packed around the recovery tank throughout the whole process.
3.16 Tare scale and allow it to zero out.
3.17 Slowly open Liquid Valve #2 and Input Valve #4.
• ALWAYS open Liquid Valve #2 then Input Valve #4 to prevent back flow into the butane tank.
o If you do inadvertently cause a backflow, you can run additional butane through the line to remove any backflow in the line.
3.18 When the scale reads the same as Column Soak Weight close Input Valve #4 and then Liquid Valve #2.
• These steps push second amount of butane to the recovery pot and refill the column with the third amount of butane.
3.19 Turn off the scale and the liquid valve on the butane tank.
• This is done because we will not be introducing any more butane into the system, so we can save the battery in the scale and prepare to clear out the input hose in a later step.
3.20 Allow recovery pump to pull the system down to -10inHg.
3.21 Slowly open Liquid Valve #2 and Dump Valve #3.
3.22 Allow recovery pump to pull the system down to -10inHg
3.23 Check to be sure Liquid Valve on Butane tank is off.
3.24 Open Input Valve #4
• Allows butane in the hose to be recovered.
3.25 Allow Recovery Pump to pull to ≈ -19inHg at high altitudes, or ≈ -22inHg at lower
altitudes.
3.26 Close all valves on MK-3.
3.27 Close vapor valve on butane tank.
3.28 Turn off Recovery Pump
3.29 In order to recover the remaining butane in the line between the pump and the recovery tank, we need to warm the line and cool the recovery tank so that the butane will move passively from the line to the tank. Remove the hoses from the MK-3.
3.30 Take MK-3 out of the water bath.

Following this pretty much top the tee since im new to the system. I imagine that means im soaking and with a 6x12 collection pot that doesnt leave me much room to flood? I never distlled my tane because i didnt have chiller but i do now
. Can you distill out and in on the same recovery cylinder?
Ran the chiller yesterday and slowed my runs down with a psi of 300 in the mt60.
Does this mean water in the butane?

Before i was getting a light yellow color of the same materials and now its dark. Runs take more than an hour is that normal?

Dab Strudel

this is the new set up I am going to run. It is going to be about 2-3 weeks before I get it all together with the holidays and all but most of the parts are in hand so I shouldnt have any excuses lol. I am changing some things over such as tubing over hoses and compression fittings over NPT as well as slipping a BV under the TC cap that the vacuum ports are on so I can take it all off of one base and whip it onto another while its processing. Anyone have anything the'd do differently for simplicity or any other reason?

Attachments

• ICVI.jpg
    ICVI.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 15

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this is the new set up I am going to run. It is going to be about 2-3 weeks before I get it all together with the holidays and all but most of the parts are in hand so I shouldnt have any excuses lol. I am changing some things over such as tubing over hoses and compression fittings over NPT as well as slipping a BV under the TC cap that the vacuum ports are on so I can take it all off of one base and whip it onto another while its processing. Anyone have anything the'd do differently for simplicity or any other reason?

I would replace your filter plates with sock filters. Face filters blind too fast for reliable flow.

WolfWurx has my Mk VIII 4" X 8" 1 micron sock filter design, but still awaiting prototypes.

Sweetleaf also has my Mk VIII designs and have come up with a sock filter of their own based on it. Ari showed me one at the Portland Dope Cup, so you might check with them for an off the shelf solution.

Latest posts

Latest posts