What's new

Tents: Homebox, Hydrohut, Secret Jardin, Growlab Ect

nlvigour

Well here comes a new tent....This one is supposedly the new incarnation of the Secret Jardin. :woohoo:

GRGL120.jpg

What I'd like to know is why the advertised French Company - "Secret Jardin" with its manufacturing facilities in China changed its design from a single zipper for the front door which was offered between 2008 & 20009 and can be viewed at the link listed below.
http://www.bghydro.com/mmBGH/Images/GRDR15.jpg

picture.php

Most indoor gardeners are well aware that "homebox" and "hydrohut" - as highlighted on numerous threads - were the leading brands until the off gassing issue itself became publicly known at the begining of 2008 or thereabouts. Hydrohut being associated with the off-gassing which occured in later productions lines as the first hydrohuts were free of this deficiency. At the time, 'homebox" was seen by many as being slightly inferior. Slowly, both of the aforementioned companies (hydrohut & homebox) receeded into the background while the aformentioned "Secret Jardin" made its way into the limelight. Once again, here is a pic of the "Secret Jardin" tent.

http://www.bghydro.com/mmBGH/Images/GRDR15.jpg

Now, as of early 2009, it appears as if distributors are abandoning the "Secret Jardin" tents in favour of the "Growlab". The supposed incarnation of the "Secret Jardin." However, the front of the tent is earily similar to that which homebox had in the past. I'm not saying its a bad thing. The new growlab has certainly addressed some of the shortcomings of past tents. They now have what looks like thicker canvas, more ports, greater weight carrying capasity, as well as the highly reflective and insulative interior which "Secret Jardin" popularized.

I believe it's inevitable to see refinements and improvements over original designs and quality builds....

What I find peculiar, is that, "homebox" under the guise of "Everest Garden Supply" (the company that introduced the first reflective tent to North America) = "Secret Jardin" and HomeBox (the company that invented the first portable grow room) are proud to announce the next generation in portable grow rooms - The Grow Lab Portable Grow Room.

As far as Im aware, and most anyone whose perused these boards will know is that Homebox and Secret Jardin were actually competitors. I hadn't even heard of Everest Garden Supply and suspect it didn't come into existence until early 2009.

To obfuscate matters a little more it appears as if "hydrohuts" is having a ressurrection.... As of 2009, they have released a new brand of (huts/tents) that appear nothing less than fantastic: well thought out ports, borrowed designs from "Secret Jardin" = "zippers" and "doors" but a different weight carrying capacity. Awsome!

The following is a newer silverlined hydrohut which of course comes in varying dimensions like the secret jardin and homebox tents mentioned above.

http://www.hydrohuts.com/products.html

picture.php

It is without question that that quality of materials, as well as design, have improved. All three brands - now appear to be close to par - depending on the owners "experience" or "preference".

It's not any of my business.. But as a consumer, I'm curious about the relationship between the aforementioned companies (hydrohut, secret jardin, homebox, sunhut, ect).

From previous threads they (hydrohut, (homebox/sunhut), secret jardin), appeared to be seperate enteties. However, upon closer inspection these companies appear to have their orders shared by only a handful of manufacturing facilities in China.

What's the point? I guess it all has to do with feedback.

Ladies and gentlemen.... Its time to share... Your experience, your pics, as well as, your opinions.

Also many thanks to all those who have previously made their opinions available with pics as you've chronicled the origins this technology.

Last edited:

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
I was under the assumption that the Hydrohuts were the only tents to off-gas, not the Homebox.

Please correct me (with link, if possible) if I'm wrong.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
he is wrong panopt, it was only hydrohuts and other cheap knockoffs made with the lining the off-gassed, homeboxes are made out of something different. i know because ive had a hb xl for a year with no problems, the thread about the problem is huge, under grow rooms and design, started by digital hippy i think.

nlvigour

New choices...

New choices...

All the tents look great....

However, after having perused suggested retail price I'm a little taken aback with hydrohuts asking price.

The tent itself looks awsome... See below

picture.php

But a whole lot of cash..... :yoinks:

At least its a big improvement from the original that were on the market until the begining of 2008. I'm sure you all remember.

picture.php

A-Loc

mofuckin farmer smurf
I made a thread last week about this new grow lab entitled "new tent on the block" I initially ordered a dr120 but they were out of stock and sent me the new gl120 instead. I must say I'm pretty happy about the tent. It's not totally light proof as far as having the tent somewhere dark you can see there's light inside. The clear plastic windows are pretty cool but the Velcro doesn't close the flap 100 percent. I was expecting a little better quality as far as that goes. It would be easy enough to fix so it was totally light proof

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
I see that you also had to tape those flaps shut.

DO you have light leaks in the stitching of your homebox?

Yeah. But they aren't anywhere near light tight even with the tape. Since I'm still vegging I don't worry too much, but I'll have to get serious when it comes time to flower.

I think a few people have figured out a way to baffle the light coming in through the intake screens. I can't remember where I read this, I dare say its from that long-ass tent thread mentioned earlier in this post.

The stitching also suffers from light leaks, but it's nothing a little duct tape won't fix. Most of the areas that are a little leaky are covered with velcro flaps, so it's not that bad overall.

Neuronaut

So you guys are saying that the so called "top of the line" grow tents aren't even light proof??? WTF??????? Why would I pay 450 for a GL120L that leaks?

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
i used foil tape to cover the stitching holes where light was passing through. the only other area of concern is actually the vertical running flap that covers the vertical running zipper. your best bet is to drape a heavy sheet or blanket from the top over the side so it covers the hole flap IMO

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I have an SJ DR 150, not so impressed.
LOTS of pinholes in the door, and a zipper ripped out first week, lucky my wife can sew!
Lots of leaks at zippers,too.
MUCH ROOM for IMPROVEMENT!

SD:joint:

RandomKindness

I have an SJ DR 150, not so impressed.
LOTS of pinholes in the door, and a zipper ripped out first week, lucky my wife can sew!
Lots of leaks at zippers,too.
MUCH ROOM for IMPROVEMENT!

SD:joint:

hello, i spoke to the DR manufacturer and they confirmed that the zippers fail on users, they are done with the DR and are focusing on the growlab.

A-Loc

mofuckin farmer smurf
Even my grow lab gl120 leaks are the zippers and there's some pinholes around some of the stitching.