What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tennessee Hogsbreath Clone

TonyGreenHand

Garlic mango baby poop with a touch of sage would be the best description of the smell and taste.

Does the other HB really smell like this? The Ten version smells like you're breathing in warm pigs breath, it is borderline nasty but appealing still. There is a little sage in there, I would say a pinch, but nothing like described above in quotes. I'm not saying it doesnt smell dank, but why even call it Hog'sbreath with a smell like that?

I guess you would just have to try the Ten version to really understand why it matters, it is completely different and chronic top shelf.

I'm going to ask to see how old this cutting really is, Ill find out what my source knows.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok..now im REALLY high..and i had a weird thought...
BHT got a cut in norcal called hogsbreath..it was a killer cut
he traded cuts w some cats here in cali and they got pissed cuz they swore it wasnt hogsbreath
but BHT is a standup guy who wouldnt pull shit like that
so the cut has circulated as BHT hogsbreath ever since
I just read somewhere that tenn hb is a hindu kush cross
smoketrees will vouch ive sworn that bht hb was a masterkush cross for years
could be tenn hogsbreath is what bht got..he told me it was a reliable source..
Now...am i just SO high right now that this couldnt really explain a whole lot about big herbs cut?

GrownOut

HDGC
Veteran
Here is info on it from a legit source:

Hogsbreath is a legendary strain from Tennessee. It is a hybrid of hashplant strains (Hindu Kush x Afghani) and it won the Cannabis Cup in 2002 for the Best Indica. Potency of this strain is impressive and when grown using Sea of Green methods, the yield is outstanding.

The hog is not the most stable strain, so it is recommended to grow out an entire pack of seeds to make sure you get at least one Hogsbreath pheno. The other phenos are very good but not as good as the Hogsbreath pheno. It is well worth the effort to get this pheno.

The hog smoke taste like hash and the high is of narcotic quality, heavy and lethargic. The buds release a very dank odor when you are cutting into them. If you are fond of strong smelling strains then you will enjoy these Hogsbreath seeds.

This strain is the “holy grail” for Indica lovers and commercial SOG growers alike.

Highersolutions

Veteran
^Isn't that info from TH Seeds? So i'm thinking there are at least three different Hogsbreath's being passed around? BHT's which looks kushy and like was stated earlier, could possibly be a Kush cross? Then there is the one I have seen people refer to to as Hawgsbreath(the purple pheno from Hawg) and finally the one I remember smoking back in the my SD days and was circulating around Carlsbad...Hogsbreath? The latter is the one i'm familiar with and smoked on quite a bit. She was dark/light green with orange hairs and once you smelled her, you understood the name. Thats the one I would like to get my hands on and hopefully the one CV has and used in his crosses. Any pics of your cut CV?

T

THE PABLOS

I used to run the SD Hogsbreath...about 6 yrs ago. Stretchy plant...wasn't that foul smelling (more a fruity foul stench) to me. I was given a box of clones out in the backcountry...more than a few growers in the area were running it. Pretty decent smoke...but I never bred anything to it. I don't see it anymore. It was around for a long time though.

Didn't know there was a drama over where it came from....nor do I give a shit....but if any one cut is so great...it must certainly be in someone's garden.

* A dude from Tenn told me that a lot of the California growers were from back there...and that a lot of great genetics came from out of those hills. 1/2 of that statement...I know...is total bullshit. I've never met a Tenn grower out here

GrownOut

HDGC
Veteran
^Isn't that info from TH Seeds? So i'm thinking there are at least three different Hogsbreath's being passed around? BHT's which looks kushy and like was stated earlier, could possibly be a Kush cross? Then there is the one I have seen people refer to to as Hawgsbreath(the purple pheno from Hawg) and finally the one I remember smoking back in the my SD days and was circulating around Carlsbad...Hogsbreath? The latter is the one i'm familiar with and smoked on quite a bit. She was dark/light green with orange hairs and once you smelled her, you understood the name. Thats the one I would like to get my hands on and hopefully the one CV has and used in his crosses. Any pics of your cut CV?

No that quote wasnt from THSeeds, if that is what they are using then a ripped it off from another source as their own. I have honestly never even looked at what they offer as Hogsbreath. And yeah I agree the pictures of the cut posted does look like its been crossed with some Kush which could explain the stronger purple on the Cali cut.

I will see if I can get some shots from CV to post up. I should have it in my garden again soon enough and I will get atleast one into flower asap.

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have the real deal Hogsbreath cut (from an incredibly reliable source)... It's one of my favorite smokes hands down. I heard a guy describe the smell as "mango baby poop", and that's not a bad description. The taste is so funky and almost buttery. It stains your tongue for an hour after smoking it...

I know it's a rare cut to track down; I got amazingly lucky when I landed it. I think I'm one of 4 or 5 people in Michigan to hold it. The HOG from THSeeds seems nothing like the cut I have.

here are a couple shots that were taken by the guy I got it from.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Highersolutions

Veteran
No that quote wasnt from THSeeds, if that is what they are using then a ripped it off from another source as their own. I have honestly never even looked at what they offer as Hogsbreath. And yeah I agree the pictures of the cut posted does look like its been crossed with some Kush which could explain the stronger purple on the Cali cut.

I will see if I can get some shots from CV to post up. I should have it in my garden again soon enough and I will get atleast one into flower asap.

I was just wondering if it came from TH because they were talking about Hogsbreath seeds and said it won a cannibis cup in 02 which was TH's version and they said it was unstable which is TH's version and they said you need to start a whole pack to look for a Hogsbreath pheno from the seeds(which you would probably need to start more than that of TH's lol...I didn't find anything in the pack I started years ago). I found the info you quoted on another seed site pushing Hogsbreath not TH so your right it didn't come from TH.

I was referring to BHT's cut as being the one that looked like it had Kush in it...

Look forward to any pics you or CV have of the cut he used. Peace

TonyGreenHand

That's more like it Weird Jimmy, the cut I'm familiar with you got there, at least it looks like it. Same fatty leaf shape, nice frost point buds that fill out up and down the plant, still though that smell..

Something particular about the cutting in question is that you can see plainly on the larger leaves the fringes begin to curl up, as if the surface area of the leaf is too great. Each finger would be almost twice the thickness of a regular leaves finger. I see you have those stout fatty leaves too.. How was the smell on the cure on yours Jimmy? How did a plant not getting a flush look? If you have some other pictures please do post them :)

Pablos, I have never met anyone from California that was a grower in Tennessee.. In fact every story of Tennessee I've heard involves nothing but bad weed.. stuff like brick all smashed, brown and seeded so if this really came from Tennessee it must have been a freak incident. Did you know of other strains from that area, Or supposedly from there? I always found it weird that this was supposedly from there because it is honest quiet good, and I was under the assumption they just had bammer to smoke.

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's more like it Weird Jimmy, the cut I'm familiar with you got there, at least it looks like it. Same fatty leaf shape, nice frost point buds that fill out up and down the plant, still though that smell..

Something particular about the cutting in question is that you can see plainly on the larger leaves the fringes begin to curl up, as if the surface area of the leaf is too great. Each finger would be almost twice the thickness of a regular leaves finger. I see you have those stout fatty leaves too.. How was the smell on the cure on yours Jimmy? How did a plant not getting a flush look? If you have some other pictures please do post them :)

It's the smell man, I can't describe it but you know it when you know it. The best description I heard was "mango baby poop"... here's another shot of a smaller Hogsbreath in veg..

picture.php

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grown out-so..your saying you guys used a pheno of the hog? Then we have gotten to the bottom of the mystery...it is san diego hb...half anyway...

TonyGreenHand

Wierd Jimmy - Thank you for those pictures. I notice that your cutting was mostly throwing three fingered leaves, and its making it very hard to figure out if it's the same one based on that. Were you experiencing this three fingered leaf trait the entire time? Based on the pics you showed me here I do not believe they are the same, also based off of your stance on the baby poop mango, but I would have to smell it again to be sure. The cutting they used had FAT leaves, that were mostly 5 fingered but younger plants would occasionally throw that 3 fingered pattern. On the bigger leaves they would curl up, you can see examples of this in a few journals where this mother was used. The leaf curl trait got passed on to the babies, bigger leaves first.

Check out the last picture in on this page 5 of this thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=237794&page=5

You can see a clear example of what I am referencing, in case I'm not explaining it correctly.

GrownOut

HDGC
Veteran
Grown out-so..your saying you guys used a pheno of the hog? Then we have gotten to the bottom of the mystery...it is san diego hb...half anyway...

No the crosses released by CV used Tenn. Hogsbreath in them. The real deal cut of Hogsbreath from Tenn. I dont have the pics and specifics on it since it was a project that CV worked on before I joined up with them to work on some of the new stuff. I do know a good amount about it as I have discussed that particular with him quite a good bit. We have some plans for the cut and trying something that is said to not be possible.

I am currently growing the Garlic Breath which is Tenn. Hogsbreath (Clone) x ChemD (garlic pheno).

I suspect that there is either different phenos of it and one was possibly found in Cali and another Tenn? This is just another strain like many out there that the history behind it is somewhat a mystery.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I swear this not a cali thing..im not trying to be difficult..i swear..ha...but you just quoted info on the hog...which i believe was thseeds strain using the original san diego hogsbreath clone and crossing it once and releasing seeds...so...MAYBE...the "tenn hb" is a pheno found from the hog...which is a strain that doesnt represent the hogsbreath clone very well..which would also explain the differences..now that being said..even if a company makes a crappy seedline that doesnt represent the "clone" its being sold as it doesnt mean you cant find bitching phenos in the seeds...so maybe thb is one of those killer phenos...

TonyGreenHand

Subrob you're getting it all backwards, I don't know why GO quoted that but I can tell you for certain that this THB is nothing like the cali cut, it's been around since before the THseeds release of the Hog so there is no way possible that it came from the Hog.

If it was a freak pheno from the Hog then what are the odds that it would be showing up the next generation? In particular the leaf shape/appearance. The leaves are completely unique, would that trait show through on the cross if this trait was considered rare in a pack of Hog? You can see that it has already come through in the Garlic Breath thread I quoted in an earlier post, if people are getting multiple plants showing that trait already then the odds of it being from THseeds gear seem slim..to none.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok..thats cool...but i imagine hes getting info from guys who made the seeds (the crosses) sooo if they are saying...you know what? Im so confused now..
..the only interest i have now is finding out if bht hb is tenn hogbreath..so i will wait for pics of the clone flowering..that will help me out..
...as far as the genetics go..i dont know..honestly i didnt look at the pics as i havent grown her and wouldnt know one from the other..so havent thought that much about it..i dont know the odds and wouldnt have any idea how to figure them..ha...

GrownOut

HDGC
Veteran
I have already said it once, the info I quoted is not from any seed bank website or breeder website. If the description is used for a THSeeds strain then they ripped off the description from somwhere else. Until it was mentioned in this thread I didnt even know that THSeeds had anything closely related to Hogsbreath. So NO none of my references towards the cut CV is using has anything to do with whatever strain that THSeeds is pushing as HOG. Hopefully that clears up any confussion my posts my have caused.

The pictures that Weird Jimmy posted are the closest representation of the Tenn Hogsbreath clone that have been posted so far. Hopefully Red or CV can post up the one that they have.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok...my bad so far...i finally got off my ass and googled some shit...i guess adam from thseeds says they did use the tennessee hb which they GOT in california..that clears up alot for me..i heard the story he used the ca hogsbreath..
....but that quote sure does sound exactly like all the quotes ive now seen from th seeds...unless another company made seeds w the tenn hogs before you guys...
...it also explains why so many people in cali thought th seeds had screwed up because it didnt represent what they had come to know as hogs...
...well...im still curious about bht's cut..maybe ive got some pics in my galleries..i will try to find them and see what you guys think..

SmokeTrees

"Hey bud, lets party!"
Veteran
There is two going around. The legit one is from Tennesse and there is another clone that goes by the same name or something similar in Cali which is what Humble posted pics of. Its possible someone took the Tenn cut crossed it with something and just claimed it as their own who knows. I can tell ya I am on the East Coast and I have had the Tenn Hogsbreath back in early 2000 and its fire. Tenn. Hogsbreath is from and is just that.

Cheers!!
-G/O

this is what my post was in response to, calling the Tennessee cut the "legit one" is like saying the SD hogsbreath is not the original, or a legit cut. All im saying is hogsbreath is a san diego strain, the original hogsbreath that is.

the whole part that adds confusion is the guy James "The Hawg" who is the claimed breeder/creator of the hogsbreath. As humble mentioned he has passed, but the guy was very well known in the SD medical scene. I wish humbleguy posted on here more often, as im sure he could clear a lot of the confusion. Maybe the guy James is originaly from Tennessee? that makes the most since to me

Last edited: