What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tennessee Hogsbreath Clone

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
It had a really distinct smell. I hadn't seen any chem at that time, but in retrospect I would say it was like a Chem D(not as offensive) with a weird sweetness in the background. Hard to describe how something can be offensive and sweet. I remember all the packs we were getting had really chunky nuggets in it. I always thought this one would be a big yielder.

At the time it stood with the Jedi, Bullrider, and this SSH we were getting out of Long Beach.A notch above all of those was the Pure Kush(which the circle that was growing/brokering mostly kept for themselves). Then there was a Kali Mist x Hawaiian that was the one! Good times. SD had some nice herb back in those days. I'm sure it still does. :)

humbleguy

Veteran
Hawgsbreath originated in Vista, CA in the early 90's. I don't remember her lineage but the father of the cut, a good friend, passed recently. I ran the cut from 2008-2010 but gave her up to make room for less worthy over-hyped cali strains. Garlic mango baby poop with a touch of sage would be the best description of the smell and taste. A stretchy hybrid finishing in 8 weeks.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Highersolutions

Veteran
Must be different Hogsbreath's running around??? I almost had my hands on a cut recently but the person I was supposed to be getting the cut from turned into a Ghost??? He's a pretty well known member in the community to so i'm surprised to say the least. Maybe he will come through eventually...we'll see.

Cabron

Veteran
Hawgsbreath originated in Vista, CA in the early 90's. I don't remember her lineage but the father of the cut, a good friend, passed recently. I ran the cut from 2008-2010 but gave her up to make room for less worthy over-hyped cali strains. Garlic mango baby poop with a touch of sage would be the best description of the smell and taste. A stretchy hybrid finishing in 8 weeks.
View ImageView ImageView Image

I was curious as to how long this thread was going to roll on without so much as a pic of this damned cut and you finally did it with gorgeous pics,,,,great job ...

I've hated any thseeds strains I've grown ,,,never found a damn keeper in anything .

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Hey humbleguy, nice pics for sure man. Glad to hear you like running it. Question now is since you've tried the less worthy over hyped cali strains would you now try to get the clone back or do the cali strains still create more buzz or are more profitable (effiecent enough grower-wise I should say in all aspects) at the end of the day? Your smell descriptions sounds interesting to say the least. Also not trying to start a debate but i'm pretty sure i've ran across growers who had it before the 90s, and most say it came from Tennessee. I didn't make it so I don't know for sure but I think this is a very old clone based on what i've found and it would definately put its age at pre 90s. If you got anymore pics or info. please stop back by :).

Hey Highersolutions, i'm really not sure about that, maybe. I always thought that there was 1 HB cut. Does anyone know if any there are any other original HB cuts or sister cuts out? Seeing as its not as popular as Kush and things like that I never thought people would make and pass fake cuts of it because there's not much controversy behind this strain, not a market to cash in on like the OGs. I know I keep seeing it spelled different as in Hogsbreath and Hawgsbreath but that may just be as simple as the Chemdog, Chemdawg thing. Guess well find out 1 day.

Hey Cabron, I was wondering the same thing then humbleguy shows up with those very nice shots! Hopefully we can get some more pics up in here in due time.

Anyone else out there with experience with this clone feel free to join in. Stories, pics, smoke reports are all welcomed. Lets try to make this a very informative thread. Thanks in advance and ya'll take care 1

TonyGreenHand

View ImageView ImageView Image

The Hog'sbreath I ran didn't turn like yours bro.. very colorful leaves. The smell didn't really have a fruity poo funk either.. I am not 100% on this but I swear that the Original Hogsbreath came from Tennessee yeah? Hence Tennessee Hog'sBreath..

IDK bro, your plant is truly beautiful.. can you tell us more about it? My Hog's breath wouldn't turn that deep of a purple black, had different leaf shape and the smell was VERY complex but did have a hint of pig farm in there that I would think you would mention... which makes me skeptical.. It is still a very nice plant and you should be proud!

GrownOut

HDGC
Veteran
There is two going around. The legit one is from Tennesse and there is another clone that goes by the same name or something similar in Cali which is what Humble posted pics of. Its possible someone took the Tenn cut crossed it with something and just claimed it as their own who knows. I can tell ya I am on the East Coast and I have had the Tenn Hogsbreath back in early 2000 and its fire. Tenn. Hogsbreath is from and is just that.

Cheers!!
-G/O

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Hey GrownOut, thanks for clearing that up with it being 2 cuts but only 1 true Tenn. cut. I'm still super excited to see what the HB cross plants I have do. Really interested to experience the smell of the Hogsbreath too. Also i'm getting another 3 packs if can next drop of Garlic Breath, i'm trying to run another pack or 2 and save at least 1 for later ;).

Hey TonyGreenHand, nice to see you around. Can you still find the cut in your area or is it kinda hoarded? Would love to see some pics of the cut you had if you could manage. Thank ya'll and take care 1

TonyGreenHand

I lost all my pics of that grow recently when I had to pack up shop, You know I would have thrown a picture or five down if I had them on hand. Sadly it is hoarded where I am, the few people I know who have it are breeders using it in their projects and arent trying to give it out. I got in touch with one of them in the last few days and I should have the cutting I'm talking about shortly. I'll be sure to post as many pictures as I can when the time comes. It really is a unique plant, I still have yet to see one like it.

Also thanks Grownout I didn't know there was a faux cutting going around of the HB from California. The California cutting doesn't look much like the HB, except for the3 frost factor and I'm pretty sure the Tennessee version has it beat.

GrownOut

HDGC
Veteran
KantCShyt: No Problem. That was some killer herb back then and hard to forget. Its definitely a great strain and I am glad to have the Garlic Breath and I should have cuts of it in the garden soon. It was rare that we saw that Tenn Hogsbreath fire but when it came through it was always nice and well grown. Tony is right on about the smell, it has a garlic like smell in there as well. Definitely easy to know its the real deal by the smell its something else.

I am looking forward to seeing how the Garlic Breath do for you for sure. Got a couple packs out to some good friends of mine to grow out as well. Glad to hear you are planning to get more of them. There are definitely going to be alot more released soon for sure. The plan is to increase the amount of seed stock we put out but also keeping the high quality seeds as well. That is why there are a couple new people working strains for CV now. Trying to meet the demand so everyone can get what they are after.

Sorry for rambling... I am high. lol

GrownOut

HDGC
Veteran
I lost all my pics of that grow recently when I had to pack up shop, You know I would have thrown a picture or five down if I had them on hand. Sadly it is hoarded where I am, the few people I know who have it are breeders using it in their projects and arent trying to give it out. I got in touch with one of them in the last few days and I should have the cutting I'm talking about shortly. I'll be sure to post as many pictures as I can when the time comes. It really is a unique plant, I still have yet to see one like it.

Also thanks Grownout I didn't know there was a faux cutting going around of the HB from California. The California cutting doesn't look much like the HB, except for the3 frost factor and I'm pretty sure the Tennessee version has it beat.

I knew of some guys who had a strain they called HOG, but not hogsbreath. I wouldnt doubt that the Tenn cut is out in Cali but the pics above look like a possible cross of HB and maybe a kush strain? Like you said I dont recall ever seeing any purp HB back when I was getting it. I dunno, maybe different growing enviroments possibly?

Main thing is the Real Deal Hogsbreath is from Tenn without a doubt.

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Just got on IC using my phone. Had a tornado or very close to 1. That's why I'm not on my laptop for the time being but there are trees down debris everywhere n the power is out. I've been at work the whole time and didn't even know it was a tornado watch (I work inside). Got a bad feeling about my entire outdoor garden. Extremely worried about my HB babies. Will let ya'll know hoow things are when I get back. 1st I need 2 get 2 my HB grow thread and tell them wats up. Wish me luck and take care 1

Highersolutions

Veteran
^Sucks to hear bro...hopefully the ladies are ok. Peace

I knew of some guys who had a strain they called HOG, but not hogsbreath. I wouldnt doubt that the Tenn cut is out in Cali but the pics above look like a possible cross of HB and maybe a kush strain? Like you said I dont recall ever seeing any purp HB back when I was getting it. I dunno, maybe different growing enviroments possibly?

Main thing is the Real Deal Hogsbreath is from Tenn without a doubt.
Yeah the Tenn. Hogs was out in Cali for sure...looked different then the pics above though. Like you mentioned it was never purple? I think there is Hawgsbreath(the purple one pictured above) and Hogsbreath(the Tennessee cut) ? I don't know but the Hogsbreath I was getting when I lived in Carlsbad looked much different and had a rank ass smell. The buds were dense and a mix of light/dark green with orange hairs. There is also an almost kushy looking cut that I have seen around here on IC Mag...BHT's cut? So there are definitely a few different ones going around.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The cutting that got used in amsterdam to make hogsbreath seeds came from dago...i imagine many people have cuts from seed..just like ogkush...could explain why there are now i guess multiple cuts..just my two cents..
...BHTs cut is a cross for sure..big herb tree brought that cut to my house and ive grown it and love it..but im almost sure its hb x masterkush...in norcal they call it bosshog i think..

Last edited:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
And i seriously seriously doubt that a hogsbreath cutting from tenn is being handed around in cali as hogsbreath that would be a really weird coincidence considering...but you never know...hope it rocks for you guys either way!
EDIT: not a knock on tennessee...i fuckin love that state..and im sure they have dankass herb...im just sayin it would be weird to have ...never mind..you get what im sayin...im a little trashed..ha

Last edited:

SmokeTrees

"Hey bud, lets party!"
Veteran
lol at this thread. its common knowledge that the hogsbreath is a san diego strain. Its been around since the early 90's. Tennesse hogsbreath may be something completely unrelated with the same name, could be something found from THseeds the hog, but i will tell you for certain the original clone only hogsbreath is the one in HumbleGuys pics.

TonyGreenHand

Smokes Trees, do you know the genetic make up of the HB shown in HumbleGuys pictures? This thread is about Tennessee Hog'sBreath not the Dago cut, which seem to be two different completely different animals. I believe that KCS is looking for a pheno leaning towards the Hog'sbreath used in the crosses that he purchased, those same strains did not have your dago cutting in them.

So where ever the "original" HB came from is almost irrelevant, at least in this case since he is looking for a pheno that best represents the mother used in his seeds and not necessarily the cutting you are familiar with.

IMO this HB in question doesnt look a damn thing like THseeds version, and I highly doubt it has anything to do with it.

Latest posts

Latest posts