What's new

Team Microbe steps into Guerrilla Country...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Microbe

Veteran
picture.php

Well the rail cart works, I've been getting bales out faster than ever because of it too. This will let me get holes dug and filled this week! I hauled a tote full of 20 girls tonight as well. Threw up a quick perimeter fence with bamboo and deer netting for the week, then went back for the 2 bales I had to stash because of a..... train lol

picture.php

I'm venturing into cover crops this week as well, because I've heard you can just sow seeds in the fall then come back to direct sow in the spring. This would be HUGE for the guerrilla grower if done correctly. Imagine no more hauling? No more bale-back and instead.... simply a bag full of seed to spread the fall prior. This would give us an enormous playing field, opening up locations that were once impossible to grow in. I'm hitting this head on, so if it works for me and I end up seeding some future plots at the end of the summer I'll keep you guys up to date with the project. If interested, simply search "no-till gardening" on google.

This is the mix I went with:

http://buildasoil.com/products/cover-crop-blend

^ great site too btw

Oh I gotcha with the additives it gets up to that volume....I'll PM you who I order the dust through... cheap money

Sounds like the rail cart is a success! Congrats

Yes cover crops are the shit..... and my boy is working on plant symbiosis where 1 plant will benefit the plants surrounding it and in turn they help each other weather it be food, water or pest control, ect

Cover crops and lots of ferts this Fall for an early season plant next year.

Can't wait to get planting as I'm sure you are too!

Team Microbe

Veteran
Oh I gotcha with the additives it gets up to that volume....I'll PM you who I order the dust through... cheap money

Sounds like the rail cart is a success! Congrats

Yes cover crops are the shit..... and my boy is working on plant symbiosis where 1 plant will benefit the plants surrounding it and in turn they help each other weather it be food, water or pest control, ect

Cover crops and lots of ferts this Fall for an early season plant next year.

Can't wait to get planting as I'm sure you are too!

Thanks again for the link brother. Check out www.deepgreenpermaculture.com they have a bunch of great DIY permaculture projects and a bunch of other articles if you're taking the dive in as well man... I think I might after this summer's crop is said and done

Team Microbe

Veteran
UPDATE:

UPDATE:

Girls are in the ground. I repeat, girls are IN the ground :dance013:

picture.php

What a beautiful day for some transplanting.

picture.php

Blue Widow

picture.php

The Church - I have high hopes for this specific location since the decaying tree is feeding the surrounding soil by breaking down and providing all of that rich carbon. Everything within 10 ft of this thing was dark green and massive... hopefully The Church will follow suit.

picture.php

The Church topped and ready for lift off in T minus 5.... 4...... 3....... 2........ 1.............

Team Microbe

Veteran
Question:

Question:

picture.php

Does anyone know what this shit is? I found some on one of the teen girls I put out last week... I wiped it off and pinched the 2 nodes where I found it too. Should've taken a picture of the actual plant but it looked exactly like this ^

It looks like plant jizz lol

Last edited:

Team Microbe

Veteran
Thanks for clearing that up for me Hunter, I had no idea there were bugs inside of those bubbles. My concern is mold during flowering but the article says they'll be gone in a few weeks so it shouldn't be as bad as I thought.... phew!

Sorry about your site man... is there anywhere else you can plant?

HunterJ

Sorry about your site man... is there anywhere else you can plant?

Water is so scarce here on the outskirts of city any sites have people close by and the access is always limited since roads are only made to get to people's houses, so always people to deal with and I don't want to risk the money and effort again so soon and close to planting time. And can't risk the garden, too small and more neighbors to smell it.

Looking at doing a indoor grow, smaller but at least I'd have some good flower. In prep now ...

Team Microbe

Veteran
What about somewhere along train tracks? That's a common loop hole to get deep into the woods without having to bushwack/trespass.

The indoor project should be sick, best of luck man

HunterJ

What about somewhere along train tracks? That's a common loop hole to get deep into the woods without having to bushwack/trespass.

The indoor project should be sick, best of luck man

It's just that I have these monster beans I wanted in the ground, made holes 6' diameter through hard packed clay (the usual soil here) by hand and all amended. Beautiful receptacles for ladies. Would love to have done OD.

This is Oz, no rail to speak of, and no water that hasn't been claimed. I'm just too old to do it again this season anyway. Did I mention that? :laughing:

If I do OD next year I'll have to go live there I think. Hmmm ...

Last edited:

Team Microbe

Veteran
It's just that I have these monster beans I wanted in the ground, made holes 6' diameter through hard packed clay (the usual soil here) by hand and all amended. Beautiful receptacles for ladies. Would love to have done OD.

This is Oz, no rail to speak of, and no water that hasn't been claimed. I'm just too old to do it again this season anyway. Did I mention that? :laughing:

If I do OD next year I'll have to go live there I think. Hmmm ...

I hear that, I'm in my mid-20's and I'm already pretty beat down from the pre-season hauling. I still have 10 bales to amend and unwrap... not looking forward to that but I am looking forward to get more in the ground. I wish you could've pulled that OD off, sounds like those holes were perfect. Makes me wanna dig my 3' holes even wider...

hamstring

Veteran
Hey TM haven't jumped on your thread in awhile but I'm down right proud of you. The hard work and effort you show at such a young age is admirable. I love what you're doing and many of the spots and techniques look very similar to this old guerrilla.

Except for the organics, you and I have talked in the past I love your methods I'm still stuck in the chem ferts . Keep it going.

Love the use of the native veg for mulch if i didn't know any better I'd say we are growing next door to each other. Marsh and swamp and using RR to move supplies all great. You went way past me with that rig to haul bales in with. I brought 6 of those big bitches in on my back this year. Close to a mile each on my back and I have shoes older than you dude. Way to use your brain over your back.

I put some Blue Widow in this year too we will have to compare some notes later on.

Completely random topic---You ever notice that there is less Mosquitoes out in the swamp/marsh than the surrounding area? Say like the uplands spot you picked. That will be full of Mosquitoes and marsh will not.
I can work in a short sleeved shirt in the marsh but i have spots where I would be carried away if i did that. I'm talking in the day not the night of course. There is no tree canopy in the marsh the bugs have a hard time hiding from the sun. It actually makes it very nice to work in.

Great guerrilla thread not many of them going these day please keep it up it warms the heart of this old guerrilla.

Remember the golden rule "security over yield" Too many young guys get caught up in the large yields and break the golden rule. Good luck to you.

Team Microbe

Veteran
How you doin TM?

Things have gone quiet everywhere, here too ...

haha yeah I've gone back into hibernation after I finished all of the work I had to do... just jumped back on here to check things out. I haven't brought my cam out in a bit because I didn't have time really to shoot pics since I visit just before dark.. working against sunset times most of the time. I'll get back out there and take some pics of how the girls are doin.... I think I have some prepping pics I'll dig up real quick for an update :tiphat:

Hey TM haven't jumped on your thread in awhile but I'm down right proud of you. The hard work and effort you show at such a young age is admirable. I love what you're doing and many of the spots and techniques look very similar to this old guerrilla.

Except for the organics, you and I have talked in the past I love your methods I'm still stuck in the chem ferts . Keep it going.

Love the use of the native veg for mulch if i didn't know any better I'd say we are growing next door to each other. Marsh and swamp and using RR to move supplies all great. You went way past me with that rig to haul bales in with. I brought 6 of those big bitches in on my back this year. Close to a mile each on my back and I have shoes older than you dude. Way to use your brain over your back.

I put some Blue Widow in this year too we will have to compare some notes later on.

Completely random topic---You ever notice that there is less Mosquitoes out in the swamp/marsh than the surrounding area? Say like the uplands spot you picked. That will be full of Mosquitoes and marsh will not.
I can work in a short sleeved shirt in the marsh but i have spots where I would be carried away if i did that. I'm talking in the day not the night of course. There is no tree canopy in the marsh the bugs have a hard time hiding from the sun. It actually makes it very nice to work in.

Great guerrilla thread not many of them going these day please keep it up it warms the heart of this old guerrilla.

Remember the golden rule "security over yield" Too many young guys get caught up in the large yields and break the golden rule. Good luck to you.

Much respect Ham! Thank you for the kind words my friend... really.

I know what you mean with those bales man! I hauled the first 4 on my back and it burned me out really fast so I had to figure out something else to do. I ended up getting 12 of em out to my location, I still have a few out there that I didn't use yet. May go back and plant a late mini crop with em if I have the energy!

I have noticed how bad the bites get when going upland actually, and now that you mention it that makes a lot of sense with the cover. I love working in the swamp! I never would've thought I'd say that either... I have a big big fear of snakes and the unknown. Wading through marsh water was unsettling to me last year but I've gotten so used to it I don't really think twice anymore. I dug a bed in some uplands and almost lost my fucking mind after breaking a sweat. Those things EAT YOU ALIVE. I even had to leave early one time and come back to finish the deed the next day. Bug spray doesnt seem to work either, even the good stuff (off woods). I wanna try rosemary oil soon.. I've heard good things about that.

Again, thanks for the words brother. I needed the pick me up! :tiphat:

Team Microbe

Veteran
UPDATE:

UPDATE:

Hey all, apologize for the lack of updates! I've been really busy lately but I'll bring the camera back out to show everyone how the girls are doin. I took these pics about 2-3 weeks ago so I'm curious as to how much they've grown since then!

Anyways, here's what post-transplanting looked like:

picture.php

Blue Widow

picture.php

Blue Widow

picture.php

I went camping with my buddy one weekend and decided to sneek a Diesel cross into his car! I taped two 5 gallon buckets together and put it in a black trash bag. He thought it was weird but I just said, "oh those are my blankets and pillow it's chill". I busted it out upon unloading his car and he gave me a big grin like "whaaat is that?!" hahaha. I grinned back and simply said, "freedom baby". I snuck off and transplanted it real quick when I had finished starting up the fire. With me I brought 4 sticks I carved into stakes, deer netting (deer and animals are abundant when you're this isolated), a gallon of compost, Espoma Plant tone, handful of lime, and a little insect frass. I top dressed everything then hit it with a gallon of compost on top of that to help break everything down a little easier. The surrounding brush was all ground-cover crops (I couldn't identify what they were though) and I'm pretty sure I could've done a no-till there but I'm not really sure if they added anything to the soil or not. After I layed everything down and transplanted I covered everything that was now dirt with buildasoil's cover crop blend to act as camo and as a living mulch since I ripped up the one that was already there. This is a 15 seed blend of a bunch of great covers... go check them out at www.buildasoil.com - this site is great for organic growers looking for raw ingredients.

picture.php

CBDiesel has a great exposure for full sun all day long. Depending on that rain to save this girl since I won't be visiting at ALL til the chop. If I even make the 4 hr drive... oh who am I kidding? It will be an epic harvest lol

And our moment of zen...

picture.php

Leaf hopper

Last edited:

Team Microbe

Veteran
continued...

continued...

picture.php

I wrapped the white bales in trash bags like someone recommended a while back. I can't remember who it was, but thank you sir! I'm much more confident carrying these in case I need to ditch the plan and stash them somewhere real quick in the bush. I've had to do it before with white bales when a train came but because of it I had to push them way down the hill so retrieving them was a pain in the dick lol

I carried these (on my back this time... ugh) upland about a mile or 2 into the south-facing brush in search of a patch I could clear out to dig a bed in. I'm sitting on the 4th bale.

picture.php

This site is so thick with brush and lush foliage, It took a while to get goin while clearing this place out. It's on a slight down slope, so the rich mineral run-off from the land above trickles down and feeds the foliage below. As the hill degrades everything gets lusher and lusher, it's beautiful. I picked a low spot on the hill with good cover and B+ soil. My Gerber machete (aka the Problem Solver) cleared the patch in under 20 minutes. I love this thing. Cept when you get cut with it YOU GET CUT. Gotta be careful when you're isolated because bad injuries can be even worse if you lose blood fast enough. Anyways, I set aside all of the dirt I dug since I don't really have much of a mulching agent up here. I'm gonna save it to act as a mulch to break down my top dresses (with all of the organic material in it) and hide the bright white perlite in my soil mix. Note to self: source rice hulls or pumice instead next year!

picture.php

Filled bed (16 cubic ft)

picture.php

Permaculture-inspired rain directing tarp - I had to saturate this bed as soon as I could and the nearest water source is a few miles away. Upon transplant I made the haul (of 12 gallons) to set the girls in right but there's no way I could've saturated the entire bed, I had to rely on the rain to care of that job. The girls are in there as we speak but I didn't have my cam with me the day of transplant because I was so busy. This spot is crawling with mosquitos too so these pictures all costed me about 4 or 5 bites each lol

I'll try and snap a quick pic of each lady next time I'm out there... I only snapped the blue widow last time because it was next to my camp site. I'm excited most about the bed... I layed about 12 girls in there and topped each of them ones so we'll be seeing some frosty colas in the near future I bet! Oh! I also have a Jack Herer male plant from Sensi Seeds that I'm not sure what I'm doing with yet. I've never collected pollen or dabbled with breeding since my grow is restricted to one bedroom but I think I'm going to collect pollen outside this year from him. I was really hoping for a female but maybe this happened for a reason and I was meant to make an amazing Jack Herer hybrid?! Ohhhh how a head can dream....

Last edited:

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Im having issues with the same leaf hoppers.
Ive used Azamax and Insecticidal Soap and they're still there.
You got any products you like to use on them?

hamstring

Veteran
TM
Dude promix bags bags look so familiar. The only thing i do different is while carrying them on my back I warp them in a camo tarp. Other than that I say " Hey you stole my promix."

I have never preped a whole bed before I do it hole by hole. Wanted to get your thoughts on why you do it that way? The cons I see are less security, more amendments needed and more work.

The pros are less fighting with native veg. In my non-marsh plots I am always fighting the native veg for space. THose F-ing vines, don't know the name of them, they have heart shaped leaves and white flowers when in bloom. They attack my home flower beds and vegy garden every year. They grow 12 inchs in a day. The warp themselves around and around my plants and start starving them of light. I hate those little buggers.

I have thought many times of still using holes but treating the area like a bed. slashing the native veg down to the ground. That way it still grows back but not fast enough to compete with my plants. I'm just to security driven to get my self to do it. I know for fact I loose yield and even whole plants to native veg especially in the lowlands where water and sunshine are abundant. Native veg grows so thick and fast but it almost makes me laugh "almost" to think that same thick ass native veg dies back late august exposing your plants for all eyes to see. Crazy shit if you look for the irony in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts