What's new

Tea Article

if i brew 500 gallons of tea and mix it into 1500 gallons of water should the fresh water be bubbled up to 6ppm do2 and if not will it harm the microbes in any way

if i brew 500 gallons of tea and mix it into 1500 gallons of water should the fresh water be bubbled up to 6ppm do2 and if not will it harm the microbes in any way

you don't need to bubble the fresh water up to 6ppm dO2. just make sure there isn't any chlorine and you should be good to go. your microbes should be just fine, but i would use the mix right away.

DDG

what would the recommended dilution rate of the act be if your soil is properly amended i dont want to waste any

hmmmm...
i guess dilute it to the amount that you need to water everything.
or dump it undiluted directly into the root ball and if your plants need more water then just give it what it needs. either way should deliver microbes into your soil. that's my guess, it sounds logical... if i'm wrong somebody will correct me.

DDG

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We usually spread the ACT around covering everything and then water on top if it is still required.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
I like to water first (12-24 hours prior to ACT application) to moisten the root ball and lessen the runoff of the ACT when applied. Nothing sucks more than seeing your ACT run out the bottom of the pot and into the ground or barrier below.

This really seems to help the uptake of the ACT and if conditions are really dry, in a day or two I follow up with a heavy watering and then let the pots almost completely dry out.

Hand watering is a pain in the ass, but I typically have 6-12 different strains going at the same time and their water use varies from strain to strain. All you can do is pick up the pot and learn to water by the container weight. Many growers disregard/underestimate the importance of the wet/dry cycle in growing.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Tea Article

I don't know where that myth started but don't aim for a wet dry cycle. Especially the top, that's why mulch is so important.

rrog

Veteran
I don't brew ACT, but I do strive to keep the soil at optimal moisture levels (kPa). I use a drip system to maintain the level and have a Tensiometer to monitor. I agree, the value of wet / dry cycles is a myth.

rrog

Veteran
Regardless, you'll find a fairly linear correlation in opinion on this. Those that have tried constant moisture (assuming it's done properly and objectively) won't go back to periodic watering cycles. Our high-aeration soils obviously dry out faster than in nature, and this is only exacerbated by fabric pots.

After all, what does dessicated soil do to the microbes?

S

SeaMaiden

As I understand it, it forces them to go into stasis.

With specific regard to cannabis cultivation and the propensity many growers have for overwatering, I'm sure you folks have noticed that there are still, as there ever have been, threads on canna-forums specifically dedicated to the question: did I over- or underwater these plants? Perhaps, and this is just for consideration, but, perhaps the idea behind the wet-dry cycles in cannabis culture have been derived from so many people over-loving their plants.
???

So it would be good advice to let your soil get bone dry then.....

I have no idea how you extrapolated that from what I posted. No idea whatsoever.

rrog

Veteran
I can sure appreciate over and under watering. And it would certainly be safer to err on side of dry.

I guess microbes in stasis is like the workers sleeping on the job in my mind...

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As I understand it, it forces them to go into stasis

What the heck does this mean? Are you trying to say stop growing?

The myth has had various reasons attached to it but one thing I read in some of the original 'grow books' was that it allowed the plant and soil to suck up the nutrients (like in a vacuum) when applied to the dry porous soil. Absolutely ridiculous.

I wonder why things grow bigger and faster in a rain forest region.

Latest posts

Latest posts