What's new

Tea Article

C

CT Guy

thanks MM,
i think my microscope is decent and the objectives seem to be fine, it's what is being used in schools all around the country... i know this because my dad took it from work! as far as slides go do i need the ones with the depression?

For tea, flat slides with a coverslip work just fine. And you don't want/need 100X objectives if you have a 10X eyepiece. In all the years I've done this, I've never bothered with my 100X objective. The 40X is more than enough. Typically I use my lower objectives to scan the slide first for fungal hyphae, nematodes, anything large and interesting. Then I zoom in on the things I'm most interested in and spend most of my time with the 20X objective.

Of course, MM thinks I go way too fast due to my lack of patience. ;)

One other pointer. If you use the light at the lowest level you need to effectively view the slide, the slide won't dry out as quickly, allowing you more time to look at everything.

W89

Veteran
are their any cheepish microscopes you could use for veiwing teas? like under £100? I wouldnt know what too look for

C

CT Guy

Hard to say, your best bet would be to try them out. If you can find a store and bring in a sample and see what it looks like under the scope.

You get what you pay for to a certain extent. I have no idea what sort of options you have in Europe. You can always post a link to the microscope in question or send Microbeman a PM.

Granger2

Veteran
I haven't used a microscope. My plants won't quit raving enthusiastically about about my teas. I'll take their word for it. -granger

camelshumpmtn.

tea's

tea's

Ct thanks for a wonderfully informative thread. I use peat based mediums with a guano-maxi-crop(kelp extract), ewc, 5 gallon bucket airation method. Would you have any insight as to the ideal temps for these tea's while making them? I have pretty cold winters here, i am concerned about water temps while im making my tea's. thanks.

think_fast

camelshumpmtn.

According to Microbeman 18 C to 21 C (65 F – 70 F) is a good range. But I am not sure how cold weather affects microbial activity. Hopefully CT Guy will answer that for you.

Granger2

Veteran
W89,
It's not verbal communication. They just get bigger and healthier.

> you high dude? lol

NEVER. Except when I get the chance. -granger

think_fast

This is a question for Microbeman and/or Ct Guy, or anyone who has a better clue than me for that matter.

Ok so the recommended brew time of 24-36 hours, from what I understand, is based on the best ratio of bacteria/archaea and protozoa in the tea. As the tea brews it encourages population explosions of bacteria/archaea and this in turn provides food for protozoa, which then begin to multiply. After 36 hours of brewing the protozoa population begins to diminish bacteria/archaea populations. Here are my questions (sorry if they have been asked before I am still plowing through this thread):

1) why is a large protozoa population not ideal?

2) If (most of) what I have described is accurate, when (if ever) would it be advantageous to manipulate the populations of the bacteria/archaea and protozoa in a manner different than what is usually prescribed? IOW, when is it a good idea to 'breed' larger protozoa populations?

Thanks!

Weyenot

Oh I've made a fetish of this whole enterprise my friend. I smell my teas before and after, my roots after chopping, my compost bin (gotta get real close to really take it in) and you know I'm sticking my face into jars every time I walk by them. Consider me a bonafide smellophile!

Howdy everybody, thank you so much for all the lovely brewing info and the welcoming environment!! I thoroughly enjoyed the other brewing thread and the seeds were planted there; I built a 5gallon brewer similar to several I saw there and I have been happily brewing away since:) I am currently reading through this thread to help fill an more of the whole picture; thank you CTguy for input, its awesome!

As far as sniff sampling aromas goes, im totally with you on that think_fast, I love a good sniff-snifffff;) Smells can definitely help fill in some gaps in the total picture as far as quality goes - quality for sure! - If anything, its fun to experience new smells and revisit old ones:)

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is a question for Microbeman and/or Ct Guy, or anyone who has a better clue than me for that matter.

Ok so the recommended brew time of 24-36 hours, from what I understand, is based on the best ratio of bacteria/archaea and protozoa in the tea. As the tea brews it encourages population explosions of bacteria/archaea and this in turn provides food for protozoa, which then begin to multiply. After 36 hours of brewing the protozoa population begins to diminish bacteria/archaea populations. Here are my questions (sorry if they have been asked before I am still plowing through this thread):

1) why is a large protozoa population not ideal?

2) If (most of) what I have described is accurate, when (if ever) would it be advantageous to manipulate the populations of the bacteria/archaea and protozoa in a manner different than what is usually prescribed? IOW, when is it a good idea to 'breed' larger protozoa populations?

Thanks!

your premise is incorrect. at 36 hours protozoa are multiplying big time. protozoa are a key microbe to nutrient cycling. [specifically flagellates and naked amoebae] if you continue brewing much beyond 48 hours usually ciliates dominate which is not great.

where did you get your information?

think_fast

Ah ciliates! That's what was missing.

My information came from your web page, microbeorganics.com, but obviously I misunderstood a few details.

Mind briefly stating why ciliates are not desirable? I figure this is a relevant question for others too since it will hopefully discourage many tea brewers from going beyond 36 hours.

Thanks for clarifying.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ah ciliates! That's what was missing.

My information came from your web page, microbeorganics.com, but obviously I misunderstood a few details.

Mind briefly stating why ciliates are not desirable? I figure this is a relevant question for others too since it will hopefully discourage many tea brewers from going beyond 36 hours.

Thanks for clarifying.

There is a very detailed post in one of the two tea stickies complete with video links, I;ve discussed this many times. If you cannot find it I have a sticky on that other forum [GS]