Tea Article

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think this is over complicating a simple process. I make ACT to extract and multiply microorganisms from [vermi]compost which function within the nutrient loop (primarily). My goal is to use as simple and inexpensive feedstock as I can. Usually black strap molasses fits this role.

If you have a microscope you could try it and see if it makes a difference.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I think this is over complicating a simple process. I make ACT to extract and multiply microorganisms from [vermi]compost which function within the nutrient loop (primarily). My goal is to use as simple and inexpensive feedstock as I can. Usually black strap molasses fits this role.

If you have a microscope you could try it and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the answer.I agree with you to let the recipe of making ACT simple, but we will see if adding a bit of non-GMO lecithin makes a difference. Phytic acid (constituent of oat meal) seems to have a sort of same effect.

Keep on growing :)

Z

Ziggaro

Does anybody else use a little hydrolyzed fish in their tea?
I have been using molasses and EWC and have got some foaming but not that much action.
I added a little Neptunes Fish and Seaweed mix (1 tsp/gallon) and it looks like something covered all the EWC particles in slime and little stringy clumps are forming. It smells a little bit fishy but overall no bad smells so it seems like it's doing pretty well.
But as far as I know it could be the proteins from the fish sticking together in the mix so I was wondering if I can infer anything from what I'm seeing.

Swayze

Ziggaro,

Fish Hydrolysate is/has been used by quite a few people.

Here's a recipe for ya:

1 gallon = 16 cups = 256 tablespoons

2.38% by volume compost or vermicompost (EWC) per gallon = .38 cups or around half a cup max or about 2 cups in 5 gallons max.

0.5 to 0.75% molasses by volume per gallon = 1.28 to 1.92 tablespoons per gallon. 0.75% is the maximum I use. It is a good bacterial and fungal food.

0.063% fish hydrolysate by volume per gallon = 0.16 tablespoon = 0.479 teaspoons or half a teaspoon

0.25% (max) kelpmeal by volume per gallon = 0.64 tablespoon or half a tablespoon

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Has anybody experimented with adding mycos to your teas with success? I feel like my plants could benefit from more myco during veg, but not sure if there is a soluble source that would be beneficial.

Has anybody experimented with adding mycos to your teas with success? I feel like my plants could benefit from more myco during veg, but not sure if there is a soluble source that would be beneficial.

this is from microbeorganics.com

There are also other types of fungi which do not grow (to my knowledge) in compost or Compost Tea which form a direct symbiotic nutrient exchange relationship with roots. This sort of fungi is called mycorrhizal fungi and there are many different species. The major microorganisms at work in Compost Tea are bacteria, protozoa (flagellates, ciliates and amoebae) and fungal hyphae if present in your compost.

check out the website, it's gold!
probably should apply the spores to the roots directly at transplant...
DDG

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The day that there is such a thing as soluble mycorrhizal spores there will be soluble cannabis seeds.

mapinguari

Veteran
Anyone ever see the tubs or trays in racks they use in fish hatcheries to aerate the roe? They are vertically arranged, with holes so they drain to one another, aerating the water by breaking the surface tension, I suppose.

I toured a hatchery last summer and thought this might be a viable design for a tea brewer, with no airstones but just an air input at the bottom to push the water back to the top.

So far I have been too lazy, and the weather too cold, to build one. But I'm wondering if anyone has considered such a design, or built one.

Here's a picture of a rack similar to the ones I saw:
hataphatchingtrays.jpg

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone ever see the tubs or trays in racks they use in fish hatcheries to aerate the roe? They are vertically arranged, with holes so they drain to one another, aerating the water by breaking the surface tension, I suppose.

I toured a hatchery last summer and thought this might be a viable design for a tea brewer, with no airstones but just an air input at the bottom to push the water back to the top.

So far I have been too lazy, and the weather too cold, to build one. But I'm wondering if anyone has considered such a design, or built one.

Here's a picture of a rack similar to the ones I saw: View Image

I can't see your photo but it sounds like an airlift. Airlifts are commonly used at hatcheries.

mapinguari

Veteran
I'm not sure why the photo doesn't appear.

It IS an airlift, the difference being (from the ones I've seen) that it has multiple trays, with the water cascading from one tray to another.

My thought was that the multiple vessels will increase the surface area a lot and possible allow greater aeration.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not sure why the photo doesn't appear.

It IS an airlift, the difference being (from the ones I've seen) that it has multiple trays, with the water cascading from one tray to another.

My thought was that the multiple vessels will increase the surface area a lot and possible allow greater aeration.

A lot more cleaning and probably overkill since an airlift generates 8 to 10 PPM dissolved O2 in ACT

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.google.com/shopping/prod...a=X&ei=3HgCUeORBIqciQKanoD4CQ&ved=0CE0Q8wIwAA

Well, I haven't seen any advertisements for soluble canna seeds, but here is a link to soluble mycorrhizal products. I guess they don't work is what you were getting at MM?

How could one possibly make a spore soluble? If they were soluble, they would need to be crushed, meaning they could no longer be a spore; the same as if you crush a cannabis seed; probably not going to grow is it?

S4703W

Hey Microbeman, i use home made vermicompost for all my ACT's and i've been wondering a couple things lately. In your experience do castings make for a more bacterial tea? With the vermicompost teas, could i use a foodsource, a bit of fresh vermicompost, heating mat, dark place, time(kinda like in your book) and then proceed to make a more fungal tea? Does it depend on what the original composition of the compost,(in the vermicompost) for it to be more fungal or bacterial?

My apologies if this has been covered before, i have yet to finish this thread. Many thanks in advance for any insight or advice you might be able to provide.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Hey Microbeman, i use home made vermicompost for all my ACT's and i've been wondering a couple things lately. In your experience do castings make for a more bacterial tea? With the vermicompost teas, could i use a foodsource, a bit of fresh vermicompost, heating mat, dark place, time(kinda like in your book) and then proceed to make a more fungal tea? Does it depend on what the original composition of the compost,(in the vermicompost) for it to be more fungal or bacterial?

My apologies if this has been covered before, i have yet to finish this thread. Many thanks in advance for any insight or advice you might be able to provide.

Check this link here http://microbeorganics.com/#Compost_Tea_Recipes

There is a recipe for a more fungal based tea.

Try adding some Sphagnum peat moss to your brew as MM suggests... but I wouldn't worry to much as our Annual plants prefer a more bacterial environment. It seems that Old Growth like forests have more fungi....

S4703W

Hey, thanks again MHG. Sometimes i seem to overlook the easiest to find information. i have a few fruit and nut trees on my property that are looking pretty raggedy and with spring on the horizon just wanted to get some things clear in my mind. Thanks for the link!