What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Taking T8 to the extreme

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
I still have a clone of her, but I'm not sure when I'm gonna try flowering that strain again. It was in it's own room in isolation because it hermied, and a heat wave got it while I was on vacation.

All around I was fairly disappointed with my results this first run. I don't think I was running the genetics I was told I was running, or if I was, they'd been contaminated by something weaker like hemp. Still they were solid midgrades, so I can only complain so much. My next wave in flower contains HTC North #1, and Esbe's C99XDC. North #1 had some problems in early flower, but nothing genetic, they just got overheated badly one week and it hit some of them harder than others. C99XDC is not as far along as North #1, but it's gorgeous, filling out really nicely.

I haven't updated this thread in a while since I've been so busy building my new cabinet. It's almost finished. I'm hoping the HPS will improve finishing times, and add some critical red spectrum. Also the HPS will take care of the tops and the tubes will allow me to not worry about penetration. Just have to add the ductwork and then connect the power feed. I'm really hoping this combination of light styles works as well as I think it will!

magiccannabus

Veteran
Here are some preview shots of my new cabinet. I will post more when I have more time. This has taken a LOT longer than I meant it to, but here ya go.

This is my home made ballast housing. It's plywood covered in aluminum foil glued on. The transformer is properly mounted on metal rails and is not in contact with any of the wood. All connections are soldered.
picture.php

This is my home made aluminum reflector, and 250W HPS bulb. Looks brighter in real life, camera dimmed it a lot.
picture.php

Finally a shot of the girls in the new cabinet. The shop lights will be installed soon, but I am still working on the whole project. The strains are clockwise from the top left: Trainwreck X Sour Diesel, Colombian Gold X Trainwreck, North #1(which is not sitting on top of an upside down pot to be closer to the light), and last but definitely my biggest hope currently Esbe's C99 X Deep Chunk. They need a little water, but the smell has changed noticeably under the HPS.
picture.php

More to come very soon!

magiccannabus

Veteran
picture.php

Putting half (256W) of the T8 lights in there to start with. Had some issues with the GFCI tripping. Maybe resolved? We'll see....

magiccannabus

Veteran
Got some new additions to the chamber!

Around the first of September, I put two C99 X DC and one North #1 in the new flowering chamber. I also placed one Bangi Haze X Purpurea T. in there, but it turned out to be a male(very ambiguous plant). After I pulled that one out, I replaced it this morning with another North #1.

So far so good, the buds are really responding to the HPS, and now that I have 4 shop tubes running, there's a lot less shadows in there. Ventilation system is still being figured out.

picture.php

datjig

Got some new additions to the chamber!

Around the first of September, I put two C99 X DC and one North #1 in the new flowering chamber. I also placed one Bangi Haze X Purpurea T. in there, but it turned out to be a male(very ambiguous plant). After I pulled that one out, I replaced it this morning with another North #1.

So far so good, the buds are really responding to the HPS, and now that I have 4 shop tubes running, there's a lot less shadows in there. Ventilation system is still being figured out.

In your old cabinet you had some 'red' or 'orange' CFLs in there. Was I correct in seeing this or am I just wigging out. Also you apparently grew from seed to harvest using just fluorescents, confirm please.

magiccannabus

Veteran
Yes my last harvest was start to finish with fluoros. I used CFLs overhead for veg, with some red and some blue(warm white and daylight), and for flower I used 16 4' 32W T8 tubes in vertical fixtures, I used 12 blue(5000K and a couple 6500K), and 4 red(3000K) tubes. I had no overhead light for flowering.

datjig

Yes my last harvest was start to finish with fluoros. I used CFLs overhead for veg, with some red and some blue(warm white and daylight), and for flower I used 16 4' 32W T8 tubes in vertical fixtures, I used 12 blue(5000K and a couple 6500K), and 4 red(3000K) tubes. I had no overhead light for flowering.

so you used 512w? Can I do that with about 3 - 4 200w CFLs and get similar yield.

magiccannabus

Veteran
Maybe, but the heat would be a lot worse, and they could not be placed as close to the plants. They'd probably all have to be placed above the plants.

magiccannabus

Veteran
Added another North #1 yesterday(9/18/2009). That brings the total in flower up to 4. My next wave of harvestable plants should be a lot better than my current generation. I can already see the improvements from adding the HPS. I am eager to get the ventilation done so I can add even more light. I have been limited on my time lately during the hours it's ok to run a saw. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some of it done....

magiccannabus

Veteran
Added a new Trainwreck X Colombian Gold a couple days ago (around 10/2/2009). There are now 4 North #1, 2 C99 X Deep Chunk, 2 Trainwreck X Colombian Gold and 1 Trainwreck X Sour Diesel. Things are going well so far in the new cabinet.

picture.php

007Puff Daddy

Nice Job. I been using fluros for about 2 years and was wonding if you heard of some light call Sun-Glo and Marine-Glo made by Hagan. I got them for the web site call Dr. Foster and Smith. You can put Sun-glo on they web site to find them. The have the color chart under more info. And I would love for you to check them out and see what they can really do.

magiccannabus

Veteran
Been doing a gradual chop on some of my plants so I don't run out of smoke. Still, things are coming along ok. I need to get the next generation in soon. 2-3 days ago I put a new clone of Trainwreck X Sour Diesel in. I will get pics up soon. My two Trainwreck crosses in there right now are very bushy. They were both in veg for at least a couple months, I'd conservatively guess they have a couple hundred budsites each. I'm getting a new North #1 in. Trying to get it ready though, I'm doing a topping / LST approach to make a big canopy and bushy sides. Maybe a week or two more and I'll get her started. Replacements for C99 X Deep Chunk are a bit further behind, but I am doing much the same approach with them. I can pack more buds in my space with the right training. Right now I'm not even using all the vertical space I could or all the floor space. Bigger things are coming for this grow. At least for now I'm supplied with enough bud for us to stay high.

magiccannabus

Veteran
I started a new North #1 clone in flower in the early hours of Friday the 13th. She's as tall as the last generation, but trained and topped to have lots of tops. I used topping and LST in combination to make a very even canopy. Temps have been really low though, so I need to get the heat running soon. Money problems are still killing me, but hopefully I can make up for that soon.

magiccannabus

Veteran
Here is a photo from my veg chamber. The two main plants in the front are Purple Haze(left, large bushy plant with lanky stems), and HTC Rocket Chunk(on the right, big fat indica leaves). A few others in the background as well, including C99 X DC, and North #1...

picture.php

Here is Trainwreck X Sour Diesel pulled out of the flowering chamber. This picture doesn't fully do it justice. This plant has a LOT of tops, and they're starting to really develop colas.

picture.php

Here is a picture of the flowering chamber without Trainwreck X Sour Diesel. Trainwreck X Colombian Gold is in the back on the right, and North #1 is more toward the middle left. The bare-stemmed plants were harvested and just not removed before the picture.

picture.php

magiccannabus

Veteran
Just a quick update. Purple Haze was put into flower about a week ago. Trying my new wave of plants with more tops, and larger pots. I still have even bigger containers should that prove necessary.

mandi paige

doing good as usual magiccannabus!!
How much did you yeild on your last harvest? I had 190grams.. i have a new cab now and some real strains this time so hopefully i can pull abit more

:smoker:

magiccannabus

Veteran
I harvest perpetual, so I honestly have no clue at all. I think the yield has been good, but I also think it can improve quite a bit still. My new generation is big and bushy. I want to continue that trend. My next C99 X DC clones are already shaping up to have a huge canopy. Should be exciting!

magiccannabus

Veteran
Just a quick update. HTC Rocket Chunk(Esbe's fine work) is now in the flowering chamber. I'm very excited about what this strain can do. It really looks impressive already. Very dense growth, very fat leaves, and huge stem structure. It's gonna bloom impressively I think.

magiccannabus

Veteran
Sorry, no updates yet. I had to quit growing for a while due to people drama.... My new project is looking promising though! I'll start a new grow diary soon about it.

Latest posts

Latest posts