What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Taking T8 to the extreme

707Corridor

Too bad about the clones Magic. Well looks like you landed on your feet, I am sure this time the Cannabis Gods will reward you. :joint:

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Thanks guys. I have to start thinking about odor control soon! I'm going to let the largest Purple Haze go a week or two more at most before she goes into flower. I want her to get to at least 24 inches before hitting 12/12. I just wish I had a better idea how much vertical stretch to expect. Since all my 12/12 lighting will come from the sides, I suspect most of the stretch will be sideways. I wish there was more data available on this. I want to maximize my space.... but testing is the only way to know for sure I think. I just don't want my Trainwreck X Colombian Gold to go into flower and never get more than a foot tall, but sprawl all over the place. It'd totally screw up my planting arrangement. I guess we'll see.

magiccannabus

Veteran
I upgraded my two oldest to 52 ounce fountain drink containers from the convenience store. They are exactly the same size around as the Grande Yoplait containers they were in before. The next two largest plants will get moved to the Yoplait containers soon, and North #1 will get moved to their containers, or maybe small round ones. The 52 ounce cup is nice too because not only does it have a nice lid, but there's also one size bigger still, 64 ounce to grow in before I'm ready to move them to flowering. I'm aiming for 24" plants before 12/12, but the tallest is only 14" right now.

picture.php

CapnGimp

Alright Magic, I'm watching ya. Getting ready to germinate some seeds for my first cab grow. Good luck!

magiccannabus

Veteran
I picked up six 23W 6500K CFLs from the hardware store, they worked out to about 3 dollars a piece, not bad. I'm going to array nine CFLs in here, eight 23W 6500K bulbs and one 26W 2700K CFL in the middle. Just gonna do a nice square arrangement. So that's a total of 210W or roughly 100W per square foot. I think it's overkill maybe, but I want them to grow fast so I can get them into the veg side. What do you guys think? Should I ditch my current lights in my veg cab in favor of nine CFLs in a grid? I'm thinking it will give me better top-down intensity, which should hopefully cause them to grow tall and skinny.

Maybe I can take the two 24" shop lights and hang them in the flowering chamber later on for a bit of light from the top... I may have to do my new electrical setup before I can handle that much more wattage on this circuit though :(

magiccannabus

Veteran
New pictures. Two of my Purple Haze are about 14 inches tall now, and the other is about 11 or 12. The Trainwreck X Colombian Gold is 8.5 inches tall, and the two Trainwreck X Sour Diesel are about 5-6 inches tall now, and I am really enjoying how different the phenotypes are between the two seeds. They look like totally different plants in some ways, but they're growing similarly. One is definitely sativa and one is definitely indica dominant.

North #1 is developing nicely. It's still only a couple nodes tall, but other than some spotting problems it's healthy. I've noticed with this soil mix all my seedlings have gone through a phase of micro-nute lockout because my soil mix is fairly hot. I will be correcting this in my next mix.

Anyway here's an updated shot of my micro-forest
picture.php

magiccannabus

Veteran
I think I have pneumonia so I haven't been very active on any level this week. Today though I managed to get in there and uproot the first male I've found. One of the 3 Purple Haze started showing male, bigtime. I didn't want three of these anyway since they take so long to finish, but finding males is lame anyway. I pulled him out of his planter and letting him just dry up and die.

Now I have the following:

One "Trainwreck X Colombian Gold", definite female
Two "Purple Haze", one definite female, one ambiguous
Two "Trainwreck X Sour Diesel", one female, one not showing yet
One North #1, still too young to possibly tell.

Down to just six plants. Maybe I should get some new seeds going now....

CapnGimp

Hey man, watch yer health, Pneumonia isn't fun. Hope you get better soon.
Good looking plants. I'm nearing starting my seeds for my first indoor grow. Just waiting for the paint/stain fumes to dissapate from my box.

magiccannabus

Veteran
I upgraded my lights recently in the veg chamber. I now have approximately 230W of CFLs in there in a grid of nine lamps.

picture.php

Going to start flowering within a few days here :)

magiccannabus

Veteran
Lots of updates here!

I have been really sick with respiratory problems, but now that I am recovered somewhat, I plan to start flowering soon.

Here's my current soil mix:

8 parts coconut coir
8 parts perlite
3 parts Pro-Mix for containers
3 parts Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic Mix
2 parts Wiggle Worm earthworm castings (1-0-0)

1-2 tablespoons of dolomite lime per gallon of mix
2 tablespoons bone meal per gallon of mix (only for flowering mix)

I have fed them with fermented urine recently to correct some fading leaves, but now things seem to be doing a lot better. So far the only one in the flowering mix is the Purple Haze. The upper 3/4 of this plant are sort of in rough shape. It got root bound and then grew into the light, causing various issues. It's finally bouncing back though. I also broke the top 1/4 of the plant almost completely off, but I bound that and it's healing somewhat well. Sadly this is the biggest plant and needs to go into the flowering chamber soon, but I want it to recover a bit.

Anyway, lets say hello to the four girls who will be going into flower soon, as well as a shot of the chamber with everyone in there.

First is the Purple Haze. She's about 28 inches tall now, but most of her density is in the lower 1/4. I haven't been 100% happy with how touchy this strain is. It does NOT respond well to stress of any kind, over or under-feeding of any kind. It's a very very touchy strain from my limited experience.
picture.php

Next is the first of the Trainwreck X Sour Diesel crosses. This is the sativa dominant one. She's growing beautifully, Showing more pistils than any other plant in the grow, and she's a good example of how my technique has clearly improved as she is younger than the Purple Haze and Trainwreck X Colombian Gold. She's about 18 inches tall.
picture.php

This one is the sister plant to the previous one. Also Trainwreck X Sour Diesel, and from the same batch of seeds. She has a distinctly more indica phenotype. She is about 17 inches tall.
picture.php

Next is my lovely Trainwreck X Colombian Gold. She's pretty amazing really. She's about 16 inches tall, despite being about a month or more older than the other Trainwreck crosses. Despite being a slow vertical grower for some odd reason(her 3 successful clones are growing vertically much faster than she is....), she is still a full, rich plant. There seriously must be over 100 growth nodes on her. I wouldn't be shocked if the number was even higher. This girl is DENSE!
picture.php

Last but not least here is the whole veg chamber:
picture.php

magiccannabus

Veteran
Switched to 12/12 on 3/30/2009! First day involved some heat problems, but I have improved airflow and will work more on it tomorrow as well. Plants seem happy in there though!

Here's what the root masses looked like after growing in those convenience store cups for so long. Notice how the lids on the cups let the roots grow all the way up to the surface of the soil.
picture.php

magiccannabus

Veteran
Here is the latest shots. Been in 12/12 for 7 days now! Fuck yeah baby! They're starting to fill out a lot more. I can definitely see progress. I took them out and gave them a foliar feed of epsom salt and then a spray of kinetin (Bonide Blossom Set Spray) to keep them from stretching too much. I didn't give the kinetin to the Trainwreck X Colombian Gold because it's the shortest and densest, it needs to stretch some....

Here's the left side:
picture.php

Here's the right side:
picture.php

Here is a view from the top:
picture.php

magiccannabus

Veteran
So far it's about 70 at the bottom and about 90 at the ceiling. So at the top of the plants it's a smidge hot, but I'm working on the ventilation more.

magiccannabus

Veteran
Some new pictures!

Left side flowering chamber:
picture.php

Right side:
picture.php

Here are some from my veg chamber. The biggest one in the back is a clone of my Trainwreck X Colombian Gold. The bigger one on the back left is North #1(it's a girl and trifoliate!), and the front two in the smaller pots are a C99 X Deep Chunk cross. As I've mentioned before, this North #1 is a SLOW grower. It's beautiful, but it's twice the age of that clone sitting behind it. See the picture to see what I mean:
picture.php

magiccannabus

Veteran
HUGE picture update! We are now at day 24 of flower!

Here's a couple group shots of my flowering plants:
picture.php

picture.php

Newest pictures by strain:

Trainwreck X Sour Diesel (more Indica pheno)
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Trainwreck X Sour Diesel (more Sativa pheno)
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Purple Haze
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Trainwreck X Colombian Gold
picture.php

picture.php

They're really coming along! Purple Haze has definitely bounced back from some of her late veg/early flower problems. The Trainwreck X Sour Diesel plants both grew more laterally than I planned, so I have been forced to spiral the arms. This seems to be working out great though. The Trainwreck X Colombian Gold is a totally different story. She's just dense beyond belief. Not as tall as the others, but definitely more bud sites total. I'm worried she will exceed her floor space. We'll see. It does seem like the stretch period is ending.

I had an Intermatic DT-17 timer fail on me. Seems they're involved in a recall. Go figure.... Anyway, I put a mechanical timer in there instead for the moment until I can buy something better. I'm open to recommendations on that front!

xOOx

nice man, fluro power! ..

i know you like your watts, and the more the merrier 4sure..but you would see prob the same results even if you were to remove a light or two, and w/the benefit of some heat drop..you can kick em on later in flower to beef the buds up some..

fluro can not be denied..4 ft shoplite - home depot, 8 dollars.. 2 fluro tubes..4$

free bud..............priceless

keep on..

xoox

magiccannabus

Veteran
There's definitely some dark areas around the edges. I am thinking of replacing at least the ones that are along the walls(but not the corners) with open fixtures that don't have a reflector. My next incarnation of this cab will be a bit deeper too though. After I get some results with this, I'm going to move the whole thing to a new space.