What's new

Swazi Red (Afropips)

Thcvhunter

Veteran
That sounds like a nice cross. Are they grown outdoors? If so, what's the harvest window?
I bet there is some really interesting phenos coming out of that combination.

I've crossed the Swazi to several different strains including:
1) Appollo 13 BX. Produced a duller high and I tossed it.
2) An old bay area cut of Red Congo (Reeferman). Better yield and nice up high.
3) Malawi x Nigerian x Afghan (Equilibrium Genetics). Haven't grown the cross yet, but the original was clear headed although not very strong.

My future cross will be to Coastal Seeds' Burmese. Missed out on Roms' Swazi x Burmese when it was available

Yup, Ive been breeding/preserving the BOEL Hawaiian outdoors since 2018 in NorCal.
Early Oct for the BLD and end of November for the NLD.

First and last pics are the Swazi creeper pheno

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220908-054700-951.png
    Screenshot_20220908-054700-951.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_20220908-054641-528.png
    Screenshot_20220908-054641-528.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_20220908-054627-814.png
    Screenshot_20220908-054627-814.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_20220908-054012.png
    Screenshot_20220908-054012.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 127

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
I listened to a podcast recently where they were going over Mendocino County history in the 90s and one of the guests mentioned meeting a grower that had recently moved from Hawaii and discussed how the grower considered Swazi the gold in Hawaii in the early 90's and how the old heads preferred that type of high. Anyone know if Swazi is grown in Mendo today? Doesn't really seem suitable for the area, but someone could have acclimated it.

Yeah high Lolo good '23 vibes to you, indeed acclimatizzz but need special Hawaii highlands i think, Swazzz dense resin really doesn't like mold and sea level so! But that's for its earlier pheno/geno Black/Red kind i mean so with some Gold/Green other kind maybe an acclimatiz at sea level is more possible! (?) ;)

Many stories and legend about the Kauai Electric origin but i like the Swazi one...
blackpulpit said:
I have a story, when I was 20 in 1990 I moved out to the Big Island of hawaii and stayed with a friend of mine who was from California (moved when he was 2), we used to surf waipio valley and some other local spots and he smoked with me THE best weed I have ever smoked and still to this day every once in awhile I get some faint taste of it from just thinking about it, weird.One day I decided I was moving to Kaui and wanted to bring some of this weed out there with me so he said he would talk to his surfing buddy to ask if I can be in the know about the SECRET he always spoke of when dealing with this particular weed, turns out I was ok and he brought me to a farm in the highlands of the Big Island in a town called wameia (? spelling) which looked like horse and farming area were his friends father grew a huge amount of weed. I remember walking in to his barn were he had racks and racks of drying dank weed. We sat around smoking and trimming buds placing big buds in the big bowls and small ones in the small etc, etc.I will never forget smoking this beautiful cannabis and eating the freshest slices of dried bananas which tasted like banana taffy. I remember the father saying the strain came from Swaziland africa and on Kaui they called it Kaui electric and the father was a big time local heavy grower who supplied all the Islands. I brought 1 1/2 oz of it to Kaui and smoked with some guys who knew my friend I was staying with and when I returned home from surfing hideaways one day the place was broken into and all my herb and money and plane ticket were stolen, it turned out ok because I stayed another year to save and got to surf more, also met a cool Rasta who grew and live in the Napali coastline, Oh well true story hope you like it, not sure on the original strain but this is what i was told many many years ago, take care all.

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
No offence but those plants don't look "good" to me, 1st pic hemp style and serration, 2nd lol wtf bad hz cbd ptdr and 3rd vigorous male ok but hemp too imho and without flowers!

Wow Hawaii really needs PURE NLD and THC-V again!

Edit : That said loving the blue Swaz heritage vibes in first pic ;)

Last edited:

JustGrowing420

Two swazis I harvested a few days back, thought to post here as well.

Bitter, woody, floral and some citrus notes compose the aroma, they took 13.5 weeks till chop. Stretch was not too bad and the first plant would surely benefit from a different feeding strategy than mine haha
Excited to taste some african smoke!

Got a burned one (hopefully you get and idea)

full

full

full

full

full

full

and her beautiful foxtaily sister

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Yeah possible but not sure ; Many stories and legend about the Kauai Electric origin but i like the Swazi one...

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=91689
I've heard this too.
My buddy has bred on Hawaii since the 90's. He was part of the crew that made HP13 (hashplant from Colorado mountains x Thai x Burmese).
He said Swazi and Thai were in most of the projects from the late 60s to mid 70s in Hawaii. And everything was bred to Mexican x Afghan from the 60's to adapt strains to Hawaii's odd seasons since Mexico and Afghanistan match Hawaiian lattitude.
After being crossed to the Mexi x Affy, they were Bx'ed to Swazi and Thai (and Jamaican). And lines that were Bx'ed to the Afghan (s) like Maui Wowie.
Last I heard, the Swazi is still around but my buddy hasn't been able to bring it back pure.

Genghis Kush.

Nevilles Seed Bank in 1989 sold G-13 x Hash Plant and G-13 x Northern Lights #2.
The catalog says: "The G-13 is an amazing pure indica discovered by the government's research program in Mississippi. Largely grown as an indoor commercial specimen in the United States, G-13 has proven to be one of the best plants of our collection".
apparently he got it from a certain Sandy Weinstein, another famous grower who is credited by its first American Indica like Ortega

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Nevilles Seed Bank in 1989 sold G-13 x Hash Plant and G-13 x Northern Lights #2.
The catalog says: "The G-13 is an amazing pure indica discovered by the government's research program in Mississippi. Largely grown as an indoor commercial specimen in the United States, G-13 has proven to be one of the best plants of our collection".
apparently he got it from a certain Sandy Weinstein, another famous grower who is credited by its first American Indica like Ortega
Theres no G13 in the Hawaiian HP13
Eddie, who made HP13, called it that simply because it sounded good.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Salut et merci à toi @JustGrowing420 great pics to document the Gold branchy and Red lance, will be good to know your smoke report please, cheers bro thank you! I'm really happy and proud to have preserved good and shared this special old landrace, big up to Afro Jim and Afropips much respect!

Another Red Lance grown by @Sub24ox7 thx!
bacf0ae0622580f3d43bd47760a73ac2eb07ed35.jpeg

swaz.jpeg

And one of his Red Raid, Red Rail rename thanks bro!
(funny light retouch dedicated to @purple clouds work of Red Thai IBL)
578b7ba18c8c92cc3cc3f19326c7143938eabe1f.jpeg

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
I've heard this too.
My buddy has bred on Hawaii since the 90's. He was part of the crew that made HP13 (hashplant from Colorado mountains x Thai x Burmese).
He said Swazi and Thai were in most of the projects from the late 60s to mid 70s in Hawaii. And everything was bred to Mexican x Afghan from the 60's to adapt strains to Hawaii's odd seasons since Mexico and Afghanistan match Hawaiian lattitude.
After being crossed to the Mexi x Affy, they were Bx'ed to Swazi and Thai (and Jamaican). And lines that were Bx'ed to the Afghan (s) like Maui Wowie.

Good to know thank you, i see more clear the Hawaii vibration in the time.

Last I heard, the Swazi is still around but my buddy hasn't been able to bring it back pure.

Ok so Atao's will arrive all in slip and slide from Britanny, aloha! The mix with old Kauai i look forward!

Last edited:

JustGrowing420

Roughly a month after chopping plants few flower shots and a little smoke report

Smell/taste is floral mainly, with herbal and citrus components and a perfumey quality.
Feeling (both very similar) is stoned and somewhat drunk-like, surprisingly heavy at the beginning but not physically.
The thing is this heaviness makes it easy to be absorbed in whatever you are doing in a good way, not drooling like stupid. Senses seem more heightened too.

#1 (branchy pheno)
swazi1.JPG

#2 (spear pheno), this one has a haze like quality in the burned smell as well
swazi2.1.JPG

swazi2.JPG

TheDarkStorm

Roughly a month after chopping plants few flower shots and a little smoke report

Smell/taste is floral mainly, with herbal and citrus components and a perfumey quality.
Feeling (both very similar) is stoned and somewhat drunk-like, surprisingly heavy at the beginning but not physically.
The thing is this heaviness makes it easy to be absorbed in whatever you are doing in a good way, not drooling like stupid. Senses seem more heightened too.

#1 (branchy pheno)
View attachment 18817456

#2 (spear pheno), this one has a haze like quality in the burned smell as well
View attachment 18817459

View attachment 18817461
Yeah those look like the good ones......I found a really potent one that looked like the phenotype coastal uses and has in his pictures...one of those were parts of the plant are kind of faciated.....the bud off it looks like your second picture......found an excellent male too...all the dark side....dark green, very tall and stretchy.....the male flowers all silver with resin on them...thanks roms.....these have some excellent plants in them

Latest posts

Latest posts