What's new

Supplies In Portland, OR...

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey,

Is there one or two growing supply stores in the Portland region that are stand-outs? Any that have more floor space, have better selection, better pricing, more knowledgeable staff, than most of the others?

I figure I can save a bunch of gas money driving around checking these places out by mining the knowledge base of growers who have been using the local suppliers for awhile.

The few I've been to so far have been all been similar, I've found nothing special yet.

Thanks for your opinions...

GoneRooty

Concentrates NW is the best place for getting soil amendments, etc. Unless you want bottled nutrients, then I can't really help you.

Snow Crash

Veteran
Hey man, I've been to a few places in the area.

All of the grow shops are pretty small. Even "American Agriculture" with their fancy commercials can't be boasting more than 500sqft. The only one in the area that has any size and carries a good majority of the products on the market is Portland Hydroponics. www.portlandhydro.com. They are located off of 99w between 5 and 217.

This is one of the store fronts from www.ehydroponics.com and is a member of a larger family of stores that stretches up and down the west coast. I became familiar with the organization while living in the CA Bay Area and purchased a ballast from them in San Jose, CA a while ago. When the ballast burned out I was able to return it to Portland Hydro, rather than having to take it back to South Bay Hydro, and they gave me a new one without any issues.

They will work with you on the prices and will not be undersold. I have gone online and found the absolutely best deals I could. After shipping, even on larger multi-item orders, these guys will always be able to at least match the price (even though they say they don't match online pricing). With the backing on several other stores you can also be assured that if they don't have it in stock they can bring it up from somewhere else and have it for you in just a few days.

There's a place in Hillsboro off of T.V. Hwy called Better Light and Garden (or something like that) and the guys there are growers so they have at least some first hand experience and knowledge to share about the products. Dude actually talked me out of one product and sold me a less expensive one. I always appreciate honesty and especially when it saves me money.

Northern Light and Garden is another place I have been to. They have a few locations and each is a little different. Not the best store but they are competitive and are about 10 minutes closer to me then Portland Hydro. For quick stuff, like some Ona Gel or a quart of something, they are fine in a pinch. But I wouldn't go build a grow room out of their store.

There are several Hydro Stores in Beaverton off of 10. Three of them I can think of off the top of my head. If I were you I'd check out Northern Light and Garden, American Ag, and Northwestern R&R. Don't buy anything. Just get a feel for the places. Then go check out Portland Hydroponics and you'll see what I'm talking about. Hell, PH even has vendor days where you can save 25% off the vendors products and talk to company reps face to face. I've met people from Cutting Edge, Botanicare, and Phresh Filter down there and that was at least interesting. Something the other guys don't offer too.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks fellas...

Gonerooty, I'll be checking that place out, not using bottled nutes, thanks for the tip.

Snow, thanks for that great write-up, you were very thorough, much appreciated.

MIway

Veteran
hmmmm... Portland Hydro sounds interesting.

American Ag... off Stark St... that was the one that has been around forever... like they were there in the late 80's, maybe longer.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just did a google search for portland hydro, and I didn't find an actual store that was listed under that name.

Anybody got a link?

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Indoor garden depot in milwaukie or vancouver. Guy will cut deals, order in stuff only you want but didnt make me pay up front. Guy was chill as hell.

I used to go to evergreen but they dont carry shit, wont order a fucking thing

American agriculture has got to be one of the oldest hydro shops in the country. In the 80's guess them and whore-hey set up shop in a garage in SE building MH ballasts. They still have the highest prices bar none in the state. Especially when you can walk into any other garden center and get 20% straight away. Paid 79 for my last eye hort bulbs

Side not, you can find all the info online bud they were involved in one of the largest busts in portland. The cops sat outside and did license plates number and did a caller id tap on the phone. They took down an amazing amount of growers.

The owner of american ag sued the police and iirc only cared about the cops sittin outside their spot. Thats it. Anyway this is all from court docs and some old time growers have told me.

Dunno, but I can't support them.

Smiley

MIway

Veteran
wow dude... that's a fucked up story... never heard that one, but damn... that's fucked up.

GoneRooty

http://www.concentratesnw.com/

Here's a link to concentrates, they are by far THE biggest supplier of organic amendments in the NW. They supply most other garden stores, etc. Only problem is most of it is in big bags (50lbs) but they have incredible products and amazing prices. Every type of soil amendment, aeration amendments (pumice, rice hulls, etc), mycorrhizae, pretty much anything you can think of, they have.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Ohh and concentrates NW is where I get EVERYTHING I need except for pots and bulbs.

Cant say enough good things about them. Great history as well.

Smiley

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Might be out of your way but I have been very happy with Health Harvest on TV Hwy in Hillsboro. It is a small store but he stocks a good selection and is happy to order whatever you need.

Snow Crash

Veteran
American agriculture has got to be one of the oldest hydro shops in the country. In the 80's guess them and whore-hey set up shop in a garage in SE building MH ballasts. They still have the highest prices bar none in the state. Especially when you can walk into any other garden center and get 20% straight away. Paid 79 for my last eye hort bulbs

Side not, you can find all the info online bud they were involved in one of the largest busts in portland. The cops sat outside and did license plates number and did a caller id tap on the phone. They took down an amazing amount of growers.

The owner of american ag sued the police and iirc only cared about the cops sittin outside their spot. Thats it. Anyway this is all from court docs and some old time growers have told me.

Dunno, but I can't support them.

Smiley

I heard this too. But I decided to go down there one day to check it out anyway. At the turn you would make onto, or out of, the side street they are one were two cop cars just chilling. They weren't near the business, but you wouldn't be able to get to American Ag without them seeing you turn onto the road, or coming from it.

You'd think that with MMJ in the state they'd attract more counter-suits then anything else.

http://www.concentratesnw.com/

Here's a link to concentrates, they are by far THE biggest supplier of organic amendments in the NW. They supply most other garden stores, etc. Only problem is most of it is in big bags (50lbs) but they have incredible products and amazing prices. Every type of soil amendment, aeration amendments (pumice, rice hulls, etc), mycorrhizae, pretty much anything you can think of, they have.

I'd never heard of them before... I have done countless google searches for "Hydroponics" and "Garden" and they just don't come up. Too bad that there are these wonderful companies around that have no idea how to advertise. I would have loved to visit this store if only I had some way of knowing about it in the 2 years I've been living here.

Might be out of your way but I have been very happy with Health Harvest on TV Hwy in Hillsboro. It is a small store but he stocks a good selection and is happy to order whatever you need.

That's who it was... Not Better Lighting and Garden, Healthy Harvest... I spent like 30 minutes talking to those guys about nutrient lines. They got me on Cutting Edge Solutions though, and CES did not come through for me. So I'm going to have to ding them for suggesting a nutrient system that wasn't as good as what I wanted. I did get 20% off there though, and that's something you don't find everywhere.

They have a really limited selection, although the BBQ place next door makes some mean pulled pork sandwiches! Worth a visit if you're on that side of town for sure.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I'd never heard of them before... I have done countless google searches for "Hydroponics" and "Garden" and they just don't come up. Too bad that there are these wonderful companies around that have no idea how to advertise. I would have loved to visit this store if only I had some way of knowing about it in the 2 years I've been living here.

Thats because they arent a hydro store, They are an organic feed supply store. They sell amendments in 50lb bags. Us complete organic guys go there.

Smiley

GoneRooty

@snow, Concentrates isn't a hydroponics store in any sort of the word. They are a basically a farm supply store, selling organic soil amendments, animal feeds, minerals, etc

Epiphyte

I go to the ehydroponics.com affiliated store in the Bay Area....down here, we give them a name like "Greenie" and the set up an account that starts with a 10-12% discount then increases as you buy more over time. I wonder if it is that way in Portland? It also will match any price.

Anyway, this is my favorite store...they enjoy hooking you up as opposed to bitching about it (which I have had another do with a legit/valid coupon).

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I go to the ehydroponics.com affiliated store in the Bay Area....down here, we give them a name like "Greenie" and the set up an account that starts with a 10-12% discount then increases as you buy more over time. I wonder if it is that way in Portland? It also will match any price.

Anyway, this is my favorite store...they enjoy hooking you up as opposed to bitching about it (which I have had another do with a legit/valid coupon).

Yeah, open account under any word you want really and they give 20% straight away.

Smiley

Snow Crash

Veteran
@snow, Concentrates isn't a hydroponics store in any sort of the word. They are a basically a farm supply store, selling organic soil amendments, animal feeds, minerals, etc

I get what you're saying, but it's an argument of semantics. As comparison...

Suppose I needed a candy bar. It sucks for me because I have to go to a store that sells candy bars to get them from. They call these places "Candy Stores." I go to this Candy Store to get my bars... but it turns out I could be going to a Grocery Store?!?!

If only I'd known...

Get what I mean? Sure, a grocery store isn't a candy store, but they still sell Candy. In the same way a Hydroponics store isn't an Organic Feed and Supply store, but they both sell organic amendments.

It also doesn't change all the searches I did for "Garden," "Nursery," or "Soil." I'll have to head down there and check them out sometime as I'd like to find something organic and local and up until now I have had a hell of a time finding these places. I had been visiting the Nurseries off of 26, and another off of TV Hwy, to get my organic fix.

Like I always say though. It's all about WHO you know. Not WHAT you know. Thanks for the great tip fellas!

:thank you:

GoneRooty

Don't know much about Naomi's, but I'm pretty sure they probably get there amendments in bulk from concentrates. Concentrates supplies the vast majority of farm/feed supply stores in the NW.

Latest posts

Latest posts