What's new

strains you've "eliminated" from your garden this year

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
I pitched SWT3, DJ's True Blue (for the same reason, just didnt find a good keeper), Satori, Heri, and a few other mystery plants. Last year I shit canned a bunch though.

I will probably shitcan more as time progresses. I have to make room for some more new additions so only the best of the best can stay.

Glad to hear ya keepin the MVTF Greyskull. I cant wait to bloom these ladies and see if they live up to the hype. Chem4 is in the rotation, as is a few others that I wont mention( gotta check the diary)

I agree, if you dont like the way a plant performs, dont change your style, change your plant. This hold especially true for picky plants. I still hold the F13, but she requires almost NO maintenance during bloom. Just giver water. SHE STAYS FUCK THAT. I love her.

If I get the word, I might pitch the Genius cut. Unless somebody talks me out of it. From what I hear, she isnt performing as well as others in my garden. Remains to be seen. I might keep her and try to find a stud for her.

Kinderfeld

Nice list greyskull you def went with the winners...cept the bkush but thats just MO.

I am sure the ECSD will pass keep that strain for mornings you wont regret it...the original ECSD clone is fucking awesome wake and bake material.

whodair

Veteran
greyskulls honest results are much more realistic than the breeder descriptions. doesn't it help to have reviews like this, when trying to make a seed choice? or could u ever imagine a company that would claim bland flavor and low yield in their promotions?

420oclock

Cinderella 99. I love the strain, but after growing her for years I need room for new strains. But, last grow I made a buncha seeds, so I'll prolly play with her again.

Bucketeer

Fat Bastard - Gifted beans. The lone lady I got put out nanas mid flower. Nirvana's White Rhino - All were extremely lanky and took 4ever to finish. Smoke was great but I like shorter and faster finishing girls. DP's Blueberry - Grew pretty crazy and cloning was a crap shoot.

S

socioecologist

I like your style Greyskull. I canned many more than I kept this year for similar reasons--bad growth or just not the effect/flavor I was looking for. Ladies kicked to the curb this year: white widow, jack the ripper (subcool's med-clone), a handful of SSH phenos (including the bubba dutch and plumber cuts), arcata trainwreck, 818 OG Kush, Chem 4, bubba kush, purple urkel, godbud, 707 headband, '91 Chem, a heavy yielding blueberry, C99.

The keepers--and I might toss any of them if they look at me wrong--were an original haze, the MVTF, a sterling 11 week SSH pheno, Shishkaberry, and a family heirloom cut. DJ Short's Flo and Blueberry mom's are TBD (flowering).

G

Greyskull

Greyskull WHAT ARE YOU KEEPING?
and why are you keeping them

hey guys. why is a great question....
here's the details on the keepers so far for me. Hope this helps explain why I am keeping what I am

*Arcata Trainwreck - first run/testing, but man does she smell good... now at week 7. The yeild looks a little daunting but am gonna give her another run to see what she is capable of. At the worst, if she passes, she won't be for production - just for the head. The yeild looks on the lower end of the spectrum.... but that’s why I want to run her again (if I can get 30g per 8" pot then she will stay). I love the high. She may be in my garden in 10 weeks as easily as she may be underneath a pile of dogshit in the yard I am still not sure… I can always just buy the flowers….

pre 98 Bubba Kush - roots in 5-7 days. grows a little slower than most prefer. not too much stretch. produces frosty frosty frosty colas and golf balls that have a hint of coffee. the taste is scrumptous. MMMMM. Yeild is a little bit on the lower end of things, but the quality (to me) is top shelf. Easy trim/manicure. I like the high at 58 days personally - not too heavy and definately not light - just enough for me to feel it good and still handle my business thruought the day. Though most of those that love her like to let her go 65-70 - then she is way heavy for me and you are not going to do a damn thing ha ha. She's not for everybody, but those that love her, love her, and those that don't, don't.

Chemdawg D - not the fastest rooter, but when she's settled into her new home (ie after transplant) does she take off or what! great branching. explosive growth. i think someone mentioned the smell of smelly afghani armpits? if so, at week 7, thats what she smells like to me... (no offense intended if anyone is offended...). Shiny happy thrichromes all over the flowers. Nice yeilder... the buds smoke smooth with that unique Chem flavor and kick ass "no you don't" stone. She really is special.

*East Coast Sour Diesel - roots in about 7 days. has some lank between the internodes as she veggs... definately needed to be topped & supercropped - glad I did. stretches a little more than i am used to, but nothing you cannot get acclimated to and work with. yeild looks to be very promising... especially considering my test plant isn't getting the optimal light (rarely my test plants do... if they kick ass while being semi neglected then that shows me they are gonna do well when given primo spots on the table). To me it wasn't very smelly first 6 weeks compared to everything else, but now is starting to come on. I know she'll need to go a least 65-70 (probably 75 to be honest… ) but I think the yeild will be worth it... also looks like if i decided to do a full run on the tables I could use 1g/6" pots and load 25 of them on the 4x4 at 12" tall (maybe 2 weeks veg after rooting) and I could pull 1.25-1.5lbs per 1k w/o CO2 no problem. Tops are producing what looks to be bottle sized colas – YES!!! I've smoked this girl before (obviously not that I have grown) and she is topps... and a true keeper for sure no doubt. She may be auditioning, but she isn’t going anywhere.

Grape Romulan - fast and easy grower. roots in 10-12 days. really shows how special she is last 2 weeks of flower when she blows up. Super rotten stank. Great trich production. Sooooo resinous its silly... the finger hash will kill you ha ha ha!!! Easy trim/manicure. Really good yield, especially considering the quality of flower. When smoked, after exhaling, at the back end you get the flavors of welchs grape "just fermenting". and the high is like being hit in the face with a wet 2x4. she a hard hitting sativa. awesome plant.

Matanuska Thunderfuck – roots in 10-12 days. Loves being topped – she branches like space invaders - very vigorous. Yields well. Nice big thick bottle size colas. Even the bottom buds are solid. Has nice citrus scent that is very pleasant and not overbearing. Easy trim/manicure. Smooth mellow flavor, kinda like red grapes. Definate creeper high. I get the worst munchies when I smoke her, no matter how much I just ate. She’s not quite in the same league as the other plants to be totally honest (maybe I am a little too infatuated with the others? Time will tell…), but I have sentimental connections to this plant since it was my first “elite/clone only”… and because I had to pay for her, lol! So she’s staying on board… besides if I ever get into any breeding all the MTF crosses I have seen have been really nice. Her genetics deserve to be carried on.

*So Cal Master Kush - about to start a crop with a couple SCMs for testing (18 Bubba + 2 SCM). Roots very fast. Responds well to topping (ie branches well). Seems to be a slower grower though than even the Bubba. But in veg, rubbing the stems smells like gravy (well, not gravy in the mashed potatoes and gravy sense). I HAVE TO FIND OUT IF SHE IS FOR REAL FLOWER WISE AS I HAVE NEVER SMOKED SCM. The leaves seem "sharper" and less fat than the Bubba... depending on the outcome she is either replacing the Bubba, or on her way (the mother plant in a 3g container... for now) to be finished outside and never to be heard from again. Maybe I will keep both??? We'll see... she's on board for now….

SourDieselxSourBubble – this is my favorite plant of all right now. She roots fast. Doesn’t stretch much. She finishes fast (under 60). Yeild is on par with Bubba (medium at best). The smell is super concentrated sour diesel with some bubba undertone. And she tastes just like she smells – from the first hit of the j to the end. Bong hits are so in your face it’s retarded. Great lung expansion. Its on par with the best OGs, Chems, SSHs… - totally ludicris for sure but totally factual. The high, at first, it makes you feel “ready”; then it kicks in and relaxes you. If I could only have a single plant in my garden for the rest of my days its this one - goodbye everything else, no questions asked.

* = Currently auditioning

Indecent

SOL Donk -gave it a try, wasn't anything special.

The only strain I've had that was worth keeping. I must have got a killer pheno. Without training mine grew perfectly for my vert setup, roots in 10 days, and yields like a madman.

Did you find the "floppy" pheno? (Weak stems, low feeder, droopy leaves, low yielder)

Excellent thread

Excellent thread

I am really enjoying reading this thread. And Greyskull -- you definitely give great quote (personal fave: "if they kick ass while being semi neglected then that shows me they are gonna do well when given primo spots on the table")

I've worked through more than a dozen strains this year, many from babies supplied by less-than-reliable sources. The super-low-yielders were Burmese Kush and Afghooey, both from gifted clones. They took forever, too, and produced stringy, odorless, flavorless fluff.

Another gifted clone, Purple Diesel grew a ridiculously thick main stem -- more like a trunk -- but stretched way more than expected. It grew higher than my light, which had to be kept at a pre-ordained limit to fully illuminate the rest of the crop. The roots nearly burst the 3-gal container I had it in. So the final yield -- less than a Hindu Skunk which took up half the space and finished 7-10 days earlier -- was a disappointment. But the smoke was sublime.

Sweet Tooth and Mendo Purps clones from a Santa Rosa dispensary tasted great and might have yielded better with a little TLC, but I don't have the patience or the space. Ditto Pot-of-Gold from Grassroots in SF.

I grew out a "Purple Haze" clone that I got from a dude on CraigsList. It wasn't bad but A) it wasn't Purple Haze and B) it was a PM magnet.

Similarly, I picked up some GDP from a dude in Santa Rosa. It was exceptionally vulnerable to everything from mites to mildew. And talk about inconsistency! Side-by-side babies taken from the same mother would finish with 300% difference in yield. After a year of trying, I finally culled it after failing to produce stable results.

Got a sampler pack of seeds from Serious; LOVE the new Chronic for its yield and fruity aroma, but this strain is the classic mid-grade smoke. Conversely, the Hog was a mediocre producer but a great stone. No room for laggards, though, so I butchered the Hog.

Had similar experience with NL and Big Bud grown from seeds I picked up at that aforementioned Santa Rosa dispensary. The Big Bud was so anemic that I wonder if they mis-labeled the packaging.

I've had pretty good luck with SR-71/Blue Sky clones and strains, especially the Hindu Skunk. I grew it out head-to-head with Shiva Skunk and Bubblegum, and the Hindu was the class of the field. I also really like their Purple Kush -- great flavor (like grapes fermented in tar and nutmeg) and couch-lock stone -- but it's a really low yielder.

So I'm stickin' with the Hindu and the Chronic -- at least until my head stash of PK runs out.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
The only strain I've had that was worth keeping. I must have got a killer pheno. Without training mine grew perfectly for my vert setup, roots in 10 days, and yields like a madman.

Did you find the "floppy" pheno? (Weak stems, low feeder, droopy leaves, low yielder)

Not so much any true losers, just nothing special.
I have several moms in my "library" ,I usually start something new every run, and I only have room for exceptional plants.

Roots fast,(I probably tossed 30 cuts) grows well, I just didn't get HUGE or SUPER POTENT.
Out of this run, my Chronic and Double Dutch look incredible!

I think Critical Mass will get tossed after this run.
Mine are HUGE plants, not so huge buds, and I've now had 1.5 hermis ( one bad, one just a couple flowers.Shame.

SD :joint:

Recently.....
SOL Donk -gave it a try, wasn't anything special.
SOL- grapefruit 1.1 also Ok taste, just, not special.
Ran full packs of each.
Also, tossed 3 Gonzo 1s- all sprouted a hermi ball in like exactly the same place on all 3.
Probably could have plucked them and would have bee ok, BUT I have somewhat restricted access to all the plants, and cannot be bothered to take chances with it.

SD :joint:

I cant believe you got rid of donk that stuff is nice!

I believe it lives up to its name! Immediate stone taste good! Smells good but not super loud, kind of like lemons. Plus there is fat phenos to find in her gene pool. I snatched 2 packs and still tryin to make my mind up out of 8 mothers... I wonder what phenos you came across?

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Chucked out:

LUI - 3 phenos, buzz kinda flat, not very potent or long lasting

OB1 (oregon 90 and Burmese) - cross from a friend that wasn't bad but very hard to clone and liked to hermie

Keeping:

Chimera Mountain Jam (1 pheno)
Dr Atomic NL (sorting thru 7 phenos - actually 6, 1 has been tossed as meh)

Next round I want a plant that is more complex in the buzz than the same ol indica stone and long lasting...I don't really have the room for gnarly sativas though....

Latest posts

Latest posts