What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"STRAINS" or Varieties and Cultivars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Gg4 and gg1 are different ______ of gorilla glue.

Which fits best genotypes or phenotypes?
Edit: Or chemotypes

Here the proper answer is phenotype and chemotype.

Think of it this way: phenotype are the external manifestations (pheno from phenomena) and chemotype are the bio-chemical profiles.

Lets say you have 100 plants collected from the wild, you select 50 based on looks, things like structure, growth, flowering times; that would be a selection based purely on phenotypic expressions.

Now, out of those 50 selected ones based on phenotype, after they finish flowering, you select 10 based on the effects the flowers produce in humans; that is a selection based on chemotype.

Cultivar selection is always based on both usually, as you want plants with desireable phenotypes as well as desireable chemotypes.

l33t

Veteran
Propagation in technical terms means propagated via cuttings, as is the obvious meaning in the definition you quoted.

Sure, seeds are also a means of plant propagation, but because the definition is about Cultivars, it is understood as cuttings and even in vitro propagation techniques, like it is done for tobacco cultivars, or strawberries.

If you carefully re-read the defintion you pasted of Cultivar, it is pretty obvious they are talking about "asexual propagation" since these are plants Selected for desireable traits; obviously you can't do that with seeds as you know, variations from parents to offspring is riddled with mutations etc... you can only assure maintaining those desireable traits via cuttings, and hence your definition pretty much supports exactly what Sam is saying in the OP.

"Pretty much", "very appropiate", "good term" is anything but science my friend.

You are wrong, it goes on and explains :

Via Clones

Seed-produced

Genetically modified

Cultivars generally occur as ornamentals and food crops: Malus 'Granny Smith' and Malus 'Red Delicious' are cultivars of apples propagated by cuttings or grafting, Lactuca 'Red Sails' and Lactuca 'Great Lakes' are lettuce cultivars propagated by seeds. Named cultivars of Hosta and Hemerocallis plants are cultivars produced by micropropagation or division.

And what if I have cloned a plant for future proofing without knowing its characteristics ? It's not a cultivar anymore ??? Saying cultivar for clones is just wrong, no biologists would ever agree with this. Real scientists understand exceptions and they talk clear and they choose their wordings carefully. They never generalize like you or Sam do.

please stop posting BS and calling it science.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2008/2-6/CultivarOrVariety.html

Cultivar versus Variety

By Cindy Haynes, Department of Horticulture

As a horticulturist, it is important that I use the right terms the right way (at least most of the time). Variety and cultivar are two terms often abused by gardeners and horticulturists. What's the difference, you ask? Quite a lot.

Both are part of the scientific name. Both appear after the specific epithet (second term in a scientific name). Both refer to some unique characteristic of a plant. However, this is where many of the similarities end.

Varieties often occur in nature and most varieties are true to type. That means the seedlings grown from a variety will also have the same unique characteristic of the parent plant. For example, there is a white flowering redbud that was found in nature. Its scientific name is Cercis canadensis var. alba. The varietal term "alba" means white. If you were to germinate seed from this variety, most, if not all would also be white flowering.

Cultivars are not necessarily true to type. In fact cultivar means "cultivated variety." Therefore, a cultivar was selected and cultivated by humans. Some cultivars originate as sports or mutations on plants. Other cultivars could be hybrids of two plants. To propagate true-to-type clones, many cultivars must be propagated vegetatively through cuttings, grafting, and even tissue culture. Propagation by seed usually produces something different than the parent plant.

Varieties and cultivars also have differently naming conventions. A variety is always written in lower case and italicized. It also often has the abbreviation "var." for variety preceding it. The first letter of a cultivar is capitalized and the term is never italicized. Cultivars are also surrounded by single quotation marks (never double quotation marks) or preceded by the abbreviation "cv.". For an example of a cultivar of redbud, consider Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy' (or Cercis canadensis cv. Forest Pansy) which has attractive dark purple spring foliage and pinkish-purple flowers.

Can a plant have both a variety and a cultivar? Sure. One good example is Sunburst Honeylocust. Its scientific name is Gleditsia triacanthos var. inermis 'Sunburst'. The term "inermis" means without thorns and "Sunburst" refers to the bright golden spring leaf color.

In today's world of horticulture, cultivars are planted and used more than varieties. Yet we often still refer to a type of plant species as a variety instead of what is actually is a cultivar. Let's kick off the New Year by being more accurate and start using the term cultivar.
Year of Publication:
Issue:
IC-499( 2) -- February 6, 200

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Isn't our scientific sub class limited based on the amount of genetic diversity expressed?

Because there are still land race breeders so their varieties would lead to cultivars but are both refereed to and accepted as strains.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
http://landscaping.about.com/od/helpforbeginners/g/cultivar.htm

Legal Issues, and Why Cultivars Are Developed

Above, I mentioned the difficulty in propagating plants that are cultivars. The process is not as easy as saving seeds at the end of the growing season and then sowing those seeds next year. But this is much more than a matter of "difficulty." Think of a cultivar as a patent on a plant, a patent that yields royalties when the plant is sold. The patent belongs to the plant developer. According to the Oregon State University extension, "If a plant is patented, a license is required from the patent holder in order to make cuttings of that plant, even if it is planted in your own back yard." So even if you are clever enough to figure out how to propagate a plant vegetatively, be aware that, technically, you could get into trouble for doing so. If you decide you like that plant you bought a few years ago at the garden center, you need to go back and buy another.

This restriction gives plant developers the financial incentive to invest on research into the breeding of new plants. Which raises the question of the purpose -- from the consumer's perspective -- of having cultivars, in the first place. What do new cultivars have to offer that the original versions of the same plants lack? The fact is, a cultivar may have a particular trait that is superior to (or, at least, different from) the original.

Two examples will suffice to make the point:

Lovers of the old-time burning bush shrubs craved a newer version that would stay more compact. Tapping into this craving, plant developers bred a more compact cultivar of burning bush named 'Rudy Haag.'
Likewise, the rap on butterfly bush had long centered on how invasive it is. Indeed, like burning bush, the original butterfly bush is considered one of North America's worst invasive plants. Enter 'Blue Chip' butterfly bush, a non-invasive cultivar.

Cannabis indica 'Gorilla Glue #4'

gg4tsc.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
as i mentioned in the other thread, in the forum title it is still called 'strains' - so perhaps those campaigning to change the terminology used by IC members should start by getting skip to change that? - otherwise using a different nomenclature withing the 'strains' forum is misleading.

tbh i still use 'strains' or often i will say 'strain/variety' - whilst i know 'strains' is wrong in a horticultural sense, i know that everyone here will know exactly what i mean when i use the word - and for me that is more important.

VG

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
as i mentioned in the other thread, in the forum title it is still called 'strains' - so perhaps those campaigning to change the terminology used by IC members should start by getting skip to change that? - otherwise using a different nomenclature withing the 'strains' forum is misleading.

tbh i still use 'strains' or often i will say 'strain/variety' - whilst i know 'strains' is wrong in a horticultural sense, i know that everyone here will know exactly what i mean when i use the word - and for me that is more important.

VG

I wanted to try and get agreement before any changes were suggested. Maybe I should put up a poll, but I will wait a bit.
-SamS

Status
Not open for further replies.