What's new

Strain varieties being lost in California, because of "Kush" craze??

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Homer...a couple points you make dont mean you know what your talking about..let me explain..
.....there are plenty of tools online that make themselves look like assholes..but if someone were to let themselves think what they see and hear online about the cali scene is representative of the whole region that someone would be making a stupid mistake
...the fact that people sling shit at "cali" is annoying...but sometimes understandable..especially when that one gsc thread got going..it was .....well..anyway
...people who say cali sucks or blah blah blah are either highly annoyed at some kids online or dont understand what a cannabis scene is..

Last edited:
H

Homer J Pimpin

Homer...a couple points you make dont mean you know what your talking about..let me explain..
.....there are plenty of tools online that make themselves look like assholes..but if someone were to let themselves think what they see and hear online about the cali scene is representative of the whole region that someone would be making a stupid mistake
...the fact that people sling shit at "cali" is annoying...but sometimes understandable..especially when that one gsc thread got going..it made me want to leave online forums for a bit.
...people who say cali sucks or blah blah blah are either highly annoyed at some kids online or dont understand what a cannabis scene is..

subrob.......I admire your patriotism........and see your point but for many many people the scene is what happens on these forums and what they see in media (great point organic buds)...It paints a picture, a 1st impression is formed, a 1st impression is then a general perspective and so on.....I believe I do know what I'm talking about and am also adult enough to remain objective and leave my personal feelings out of it.....In short I see the scene as it's presented to me......I describe the picture I see......I understand there is a whole other scene to which you are refering,however,It's not one I can comment on because I don't see it,and have never been part of it.....

subrob.......I admire your patriotism........and see your point but for many many people the scene is what happens on these forums and what they see in media (great point organic buds)...It paints a picture, a 1st impression is formed, a 1st impression is then a general perspective and so on.....I believe I do know what I'm talking about and am also adult enough to remain objective and leave my personal feelings out of it.....In short I see the scene as it's presented to me......I describe the picture I see......I understand there is a whole other scene to which you are refering,however,It's not one I can comment on because I don't see it,and have never been part of it.....

I'm sure less than 5 % of growers in Cali have even heard of ic mag or any weed forums. To judge the entire gigantic state of Ca's med mj scene's from ic mag and a quick vacation is not a very accurate portrayal.
Also,as important as med mj is to patients in need what's wrong with responsible recreational use as a way to relax after a long day at the office. To me that's stress release and medicinal. I have my 215 for chronic pain from a debilitating broken bone injury. Yet I also smoke for other less serious reasons.
Plus many clubs don't have the best medicine. The best is grown by patents for themselves and or collective members.

L

lordofthenugz

That is why it is up to connoisseurs to keep up the kind work and try to always find ways to provide higher quality meds despite what is popular.

Legalize and grow your own type policy sounds good to me.

H

Homer J Pimpin

I'm sure less than 5 % of growers in Cali have even heard of ic mag or any weed forums. To judge the entire gigantic state of Ca's med mj scene's from ic mag and a quick vacation is not a very accurate portrayal.
Also,as important as med mj is to patients in need what's wrong with responsible recreational use as a way to relax after a long day at the office. To me that's stress release and medicinal. I have my 215 for chronic pain from a debilitating broken bone injury. Yet I also smoke for other less serious reasons.
Plus many clubs don't have the best medicine. The best is grown by patents for themselves and or collective members.

more good points.........
100% illegal recreational user here........100% illegal under ground grower as well.
I believe I need to clarify,
the descriptions posted in this thread by me are mearly a objective opnion of the scene as seen here and other forums and the news.....I understand not all of cali is as I described and did not intend on bottlenecking.....I would very much like to be a part of the scene you guy's say is there and support it 110%.......One thing I'm dead certain of though is before when we were all underground,and all outlaws...as a community of pot lovers and growers,we maintained a certain level of respect for one another and had that common ground to bring us together........now....well, not so much eh ?...I miss those days and firmly believe that the community as a whole was much stronger even though the numbers were not nearly as much.....

The Revolution

Veteran
That is a great point Homer. Perhaps that was the plan. To divide the people and drive a stake right into the heart of our movement. Im a firm believer that we wont find freedom in politics. The only way to freedom is to join together and let it be known where the real power is.

To say we arent losing or wont lose any varieties is a stretch. We have already lost many varieties, and there are many others that are the verge of extinction. I personally plan to break out this year as a legit seed co, specializing in landrace and pure varieties. Original P1 stock for preservation and breeders. I have been collecting and networking for many years to acquire the stock.
There are only a couple companies currently offering these old pure varieties, but if you look into the lineage they are almost always hybridized, or femmed. Not good breeding stock. The OGK is no slouch, but with the majority of breeders working from this one side of the fence, the cannabis gene pool as a whole is in trouble. This only leads to bottle necking and not much variety.

There are many others out there preserving those pure varieties we all reminisce about. They may not be online but theyre out there.
I personally try to avoid the forums, the bickering, and hype machine. I know what I like to smoke and grow, and I can get plenty of feedback from other growers, and from my notes.

This is a good topic, I just hope we can keep it civilized and continue to respect each other.

MrBlue2

I think im gonna have to respectfully disagree with everyone who is saying that the kush kraze does not put a lot of great strains a risk. the issues that i see with all of these OG crosses is the breeding and the genetic bottle necking issue. I feel like a similar thing has happened in amsterdam with skunk and several other strains. After being outcrossed and backcrossed so many times the genetics go down hill and no one knows if the cut they got is real deal or not. So whats happening in cali is that there are not many people that are growing the original og cut or even the original crosses (I know a lot of people still have it but a lot of other people have knock offs and dont even know it). many clubs simply label cuts there selling as OG without specifying what cut, what cross, or what seed company they got it from. and yes a lot of clubs in my area start from seed that they bought online or bred themselves in an effort to have an exclusive supply of the new clone only. So IMO the strain that is the most at risk is OG kush. Many growers that I know are also trading up there OG kush for bigger yielding crosses like the Skywalker or Alien, or higher paying cuts like GSC. But, who really knows, only time will tell.

H

Homer J Pimpin

That is a great point Homer. Perhaps that was the plan. To divide the people and drive a stake right into the heart of our movement. Im a firm believer that we wont find freedom in politics. The only way to freedom is to join together and let it be known where the real power is.

love this:thank you: all too often we are fighting amongst ourselves instead of focusing that energy on OUR oponent........

growhi

strains never really dispensary or are lost ,strains evolve and develop over time, what in the 80's and 90's was one thing, through breeding becomes something else , we cant be scared of change , but what we can do is demand different strains , different highs, different flavours from our dope and be more open minded ....................................who really only wants to just smoke the same weed all the time ? i know i don't

but the wind of change is already blowin through the cali scene, prices are plummeting , so everyone is looking for the next og kush the next haze the next chem , it will be interesting to see what the next BIG THING will be

Y

YosemiteSam

mo betta to actually educate them as to wtf they're buying eg SFV isn't even OG but some Diesel hyb and is why it works best in the multitude of environs etc. Go with the flow, but tell it like it is, imagine that. -T

I got a cut labeled Ghost OG that seems to be clearly at least part diesel...good weed and great yielder, but not pure OG for sure. And I got a Tahoe that I believe to be true OG...but then I got to thinking what do I actually know about OG...certain taste, certain type of growth...who knows though.

If one were looking for a really true OG experience what cut would one pursue?

And deep down I am just curious as hell where Triangle Kush fits in all of this.

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Speaking of killer tomatoes, anyone remember this.

If so, like me you're getting old(er) now!!!!

Ahhh, the good ol' days!!!! HA-HA!

M

MrSterling

Strains are always lost, always changing. New things are always appearing. It's the way of the world. In fifty years a bunch of kids will be bitching how you can't find those legit old lines like "OG Kush" and "NYCD" anymore and about how their new stuff isn't as good.

T

THE PABLOS

Sometimes....reading cannabis internet boards is much like watching your local news: a construed outlook...based somewhat in facts...but not to be taken as truth. The California that is represented the most on the boards...is not the one I live in. I have no idea what people are talking about.

News/internet cannabis boards should be viewed as entertainment only. To argue non realities is a casual occupation.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
In the wild plants inbreed with each other for thousands of years. Then farmers in Afghanistan or where ever select the best plants and pull seed from them. This goes on for hundreds of years. This is why we have things like Indica, Sativa, rutirallis (sp?). You would think the genetics would get bottle necked in the wild to a certain degree as well, however this is not the case. Cannabis has so many different combinations of alleles endowed into each strain that you can create an entire line of strains with one male and one female. People say Kush, Diesel and Chem are all part of the same family but we are all talking about how we see hundreds of varieties of these strains that are tweaked.

All I can hope is cannabis will evolved and keep its variety. I also hope people are smart enough to hoard seeds of true breeding stock for as many years as possible. I know I have thousands of seeds that I have been hoarding, just in case the world needs me, lol.

O yea, I remember the killer tomatoes but does anybody remember "Attack of the killer clowns from outer space?" Fucking classic.

G

guest59452

anything that isnt og will be lost in california, go to the east coast for more hazes