What's new

stopping coco compacting during flowering...

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
the only reason I add the hydroton is to allow the pots drainage holes to remain clear so that if the water needs to drain, it can drain. im talking like a handful in the bottom of a 2 gal pot only. I don't always do it. this run I did. last run I didn't. I honestly cant say I notice much difference. so might not bother anymore anyway. either way, this is partly why im leaning toward switching to fabric.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
I have to agree that i don't think it really hinders the growth or anything by compacting . i reuse my same pots 3 times before i finally chuck the coco in the garden . & the 2d & 3rd runs with the same pot seem to do better each time .

but to answer your question , what about the chow mix i've read about ? 50% coco 50% hydroton . dunno what the purpose of that mix is for , but that might stop the compaction a little .

thank for your response..
many people say this about reusing but it would be a major pain in the butt for me to wash and clean loads of coco and reuse. id like to reuse it. I have re used some before but not a whole room.
didn't honestly see a difference from these plants supposed to straight out the bag.
I think 50/50 would probably dry out really quick since I run fairly high temps and already water multiple times. im starting to think I might just be over thinking things.

matt11

What I used to do about my coco getting compacted is this. Nowadays I don't worry about it. Keep a stainless steel screw driver in my grow and make it a habit every time I'm working with or in my crop I stick it in the coco about 3" to start with and go all around the interior of the pot in a circular motion, loosening it up real good. Also avoid getting a few inches around the base of the main stalk, where the mass of roots will primarily be.
After a week of this go deeper. I end up stirring witj the whole shaft in the coco, about 6" or so, in a 2 gal pot, witch is id say 15" give or take. Just don't go too deep. Sure I used to rip through some roots, but definitely no negative effects, in fact I used to think that ripping the smaller roots encourages growth .
Hope this helps bro.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thank for your response..
many people say this about reusing but it would be a major pain in the butt for me to wash and clean loads of coco and reuse. id like to reuse it. I have re used some before but not a whole room.

didn't honestly see a difference from these plants supposed to straight out the bag.
I think 50/50 would probably dry out really quick since I run fairly high temps and already water multiple times. im starting to think I might just be over thinking things.

I don't wash & rinse anything . i use the same pot & the coco in it . i just cut out the rootball the size of my 5" pot going in it & put in veg to grow out . no rinsing , no washing nothing . i just make sure its plenty flushed at harvest & stick the pots in the corner till i need them . when i ut out the rootball & drop my next plant in it . i feed it so that theres plenty of runoff & the whole pot is saturated & let it go till next feeding . easy as that :biggrin:

heres 11 of the sitting waiting on the next round to go in them .

picture.php

6 GB4's ready to go in them

picture.php

& afterwards

picture.php

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
dansbuds, thanks for your explanation.. it looks quite easy the way you do it.. idk it just wouldn't sit well with me doing that.. I mean when I pull the roots out is literally solid and hard to break up. I couldn't imagine putting a new plant in it. I might try one as a tester..
is there any down side to reusing it?

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
not that i've seen so far .

i use a sawzall blade & cut the center of the old pot out the same size as my 5" pot going in . so your not disturbing the outer root system at all , all your really doing is cutting out the main stem & the roots directly undernieth it . everything else stays in place . works great dude ! & i get 3 uses out of the same pot . & it really seems like every time i reuse the pot , the plants are better than the last .

next time i do it , i'll get pics of the complete process so you can see better what i mean .

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
What I used to do about my coco getting compacted is this. Nowadays I don't worry about it. Keep a stainless steel screw driver in my grow and make it a habit every time I'm working with or in my crop I stick it in the coco about 3" to start with and go all around the interior of the pot in a circular motion, loosening it up real good. Also avoid getting a few inches around the base of the main stalk, where the mass of roots will primarily be.
After a week of this go deeper. I end up stirring witj the whole shaft in the coco, about 6" or so, in a 2 gal pot, witch is id say 15" give or take. Just don't go too deep. Sure I used to rip through some roots, but definitely no negative effects, in fact I used to think that ripping the smaller roots encourages growth .
Hope this helps bro.

that an interesting idea I cant say I thought of doing that. im sure it would probably work well, but i couldn't do that to my plants.. id kinda feel like I was stabbing them lol

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
not that i've seen so far .

i use a sawzall blade & cut the center of the old pot out the same size as my 5" pot going in . so your not disturbing the outer root system at all , all your really doing is cutting out the main stem & the roots directly undernieth it . everything else stays in place . works great dude ! & i get 3 uses out of the same pot . & it really seems like every time i reuse the pot , the plants are better than the last .

how about the yield and quality? same as with fresh coco? see the thing is i can get professional plus cheap. and its easy to dig the old coco into my flower beds so ive got no reason to re use apart from.. the eco friendly aspect because i don like wasting stuff. and ive heard many times that the coco gets better all the time..

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah , thats what i meant about better . they seem to grow healthier & my best yield ever came outa pots that were on my 3rd use .

i get more problems on plants in the fresh coco then i do on the reused stuff . i think its got to do with the coco already having a PH balance where the fresh coco doesn't . it takes a few days after transplanting into fresh coco for the plants to come around & start to grow healthy . & i'm pretty sure its due to the new coco having to be PH'ed & charged . i use fresh right out of the bag & charge it with my first couple of feeds . which is probably why i have defs for the first week or so . i really should precharge the fresh before i transplant into it , but i'm lazy & theres not much room here to do that .

no problems with root growth on the new plants into the old coco . the rootballs on the 3rd round when i finally toss them , have to be broken up with a shovel they're so thick & dense lol

so to be honest in my opinion , your worries about compaction are really not needed . my rootballs are like big hockey pucks when i finally toss them into the garden . the roots fill out the pots pretty good even when we think theres no room for more lol

CoCoSativas

that an interesting idea I cant say I thought of doing that. im sure it would probably work well, but i couldn't do that to my plants.. id kinda feel like I was stabbing them lol

I also am unable to conduct what i consider abuse to plants. Stabbing, striking (i know sativa growers that do thos to simulate tropical storms) or any of the rest of it. I know a guy who "gives them a tropical storm before flower" which consists of a air mover, a weird whip he made and a pressurized hoze he hooks up to the sink. I was like wtf where did you get this hes like "i watched a documentary about tropical countries and they showed a wild weedplant getting beat up by a storm" and that gave him the idea to fuck with his plants.

The things growes do sometimes its so funny

glow

I also am unable to conduct what i consider abuse to plants. Stabbing, striking (i know sativa growers that do thos to simulate tropical storms) or any of the rest of it. I know a guy who "gives them a tropical storm before flower" which consists of a air mover, a weird whip he made and a pressurized hoze he hooks up to the sink. I was like wtf where did you get this hes like "i watched a documentary about tropical countries and they showed a wild weedplant getting beat up by a storm" and that gave him the idea to fuck with his plants.

The things growes do sometimes its so funny

lol while the guy is obviously smoking way to much of his produce he may actually have stumble across a very good stretch reduction technique called MIS (Mechanically Induced Stress) - google it.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Hey Dan, try adding some GH Subculture-B to the hole before transplanting. Works well with your method.

CoCoSativas

lol while the guy is obviously smoking way to much of his produce he may actually have stumble across a very good stretch reduction technique called MIS (Mechanically Induced Stress) - google it.

He dosent do it to reduce stretch he does it to "simulate a tsunami" i laughed my ass off. Some people still think stressing plants makes them somehiw produce better.

But you are right hes pretty lit and his stuff is probably a little potent for him. He grows good dope but the beatings arent the reason. He just has some very potent genetics. Lol the whip is my favorite. I wish i could post the video of him drunk with a airhorn and his whip thing. Its fucked up to say the least but his face is visible the whole time... i was like why are you screaming at it and blowing a airhorn a foot away from it before i laughed so hard i cried for about 5 minutes i couldn't breath. Then came the air mover and the hoze i was like dude you are spraying water everywhere hes like it will evaporate... sure my area is dry but wow.

Hes not the brightest guy i know

Lyfespan

I don't wash & rinse anything . i use the same pot & the coco in it . i just cut out the rootball the size of my 5" pot going in it & put in veg to grow out . no rinsing , no washing nothing . i just make sure its plenty flushed at harvest & stick the pots in the corner till i need them . when i ut out the rootball & drop my next plant in it . i feed it so that theres plenty of runoff & the whole pot is saturated & let it go till next feeding . easy as that :biggrin:

heres 11 of the sitting waiting on the next round to go in them .

View Image

6 GB4's ready to go in them

View Image

& afterwards

View Image
:biggrin::biggrin: i love to see im not the only one reusing my coco, i enzyme and feed mine to help start the vegetative routine. keeps getting better with each grow, this coco is on round 3 :woohoo:. like dans said if youre watering your plants out correctly you should be all good.

Phases

He dosent do it to reduce stretch he does it to "simulate a tsunami" i laughed my ass off. Some people still think stressing plants makes them somehiw produce better.

But you are right hes pretty lit and his stuff is probably a little potent for him. He grows good dope but the beatings arent the reason. He just has some very potent genetics. Lol the whip is my favorite. I wish i could post the video of him drunk with a airhorn and his whip thing. Its fucked up to say the least but his face is visible the whole time... i was like why are you screaming at it and blowing a airhorn a foot away from it before i laughed so hard i cried for about 5 minutes i couldn't breath. Then came the air mover and the hoze i was like dude you are spraying water everywhere hes like it will evaporate... sure my area is dry but wow.

Hes not the brightest guy i know

I laughed my ass off when reading this. The air horn and screaming!!! That's hilarious. Imagine if that was the way to hit super huge yeilds - to yell at the plants and whip them .

Ahh good laugh... Thanks for that

CoCoSativas

I laughed my ass off when reading this. The air horn and screaming!!! That's hilarious. Imagine if that was the way to hit super huge yeilds - to yell at the plants and whip them .

Ahh good laugh... Thanks for that

I only saw the horn and screaming one time but the rest he does EVERYTIME before flip. I think because he was drinking and probably thought the noise would help... maybe he was just to rowdy to keep it to himself but i pulled my phone out so fast it was amazing.

It was one of the stupidest things ive ever seen. You couldnt pay for that entertainment. Ive seen him do other stuff thats less crazy and more seen. Nails in stalks, god what else oh "aerating" the soil with any random impliment... its bizarre to watch. I think another one he did was like way overwatering once a week just random stress.

Ive made fun of him counless times for it to no avail so i try not to watch too much. Im not at his place to often these days but hes always good for a laugh. When he leaves town his grand parents take care of his plants i was like what if they get busted hes like i dont know... like i always say some of my friends are DUMB

Latest posts

Latest posts