What's new

Still Another Crappy Day in Paradise....Part Five.

oldhaole

Veteran
Well....once again...I was wrong.

The yellow choppers were up yesterday....but instead of causing problems, they were solving them. Windy as hell on Monday, got the power lines swinging, they touch, then brushfires. One scorched three houses a few miles away from me. I think they'll be working up there again today, hauling water.

One less worry on my plate....until I overeact next week.

Hawaiian? Looking at those fields huh?

Let me give you a hand,

Looking for water? Follow the ditches, When you find where they are taking water follow it to the sand filters. See which one has pressure or is dripping. One part of that block is being watered. Find it.

Two blocks next to each other have both a dedicated surface source and a well source. The cane on one side of the two blocks has been harvested or soon will be. Young cane is in the other block.
They will only be enough water to do one side. Young cane always gets the water.

When I plant in a gulch I plant inground. Use water retaining crystals. That way if you do get some rain...it keeps on giving. You may haul in soil. I don't. Took me many years to learn that lesson.
And you know this...but it bears repeating...

Watch your trail.

Anything with thorns is your friend.

Build yourself a effective backpack.

Check the area well...Are you alone?

WATCH YOUR TRAIL!

Hauling water .... danger....hard to do without leaving a trail.

Canefield water is pretty sweet. The only brackish water they use costs big bucks to pump, so they prefer ditch (mountain) water.
If they are using well water it is just to keep the cane alive until the rains.

The 48-0-0 is you can't avoid. They put it in where the water flows out of the ditch. The plants love it. And the way it's applied most is used early in the growing process. Hauling water into a canefield...no way...last resort...your already fucked.

Hey festivus. Looks like it rained hard on that side last night. Didn't affect us...but that Olinda area is our watershed. Good thing it was a small one.

It appears that they have geneticly modified cane to be immune to round up. It's not in the water, but they do spray it from the air.
Also when the cane is young, crews walk thru the field hand spraying. That last spray is our signal that the field can be planted.

If you ever have been inside a field, the place is full of weeds. The cane outgrows them. In the old days we would pick weedy fields and stuff them. Now those areas are sprayed from the air, so you gotta work thick fields...more work.

Also cane tassles. That flowering cane loses yield, so they spray late October to stop it. Also the cane is sprayed before harvest. Plants should be gone by then.

Back when weed was verboten...the fields were crazy. Now? I don't think very much is grown there. Back then there were a million places to escape...now most is fenced. That alone makes it so much more dangerous.

I bribed wifey to do the weekly town trip...so I got nuthin' better to do than prattle on.

Where was I?...the rest of the garden. Still need a few more before shots.

Hole 1....a re creation of the D x R nameless liked. Same hole, gets the sun first.

picture.php

Hole 2...every garden has a problem child...this'll be mine. This got transplanted up from the hole below, Instead of tall...got a bush. Again....Rodney.

picture.php

Hole 7 you've already seen this. Bigger every day. I love when a plant blows thru seven ft and summer isn't even here. Geez...hope it doesn't fag.

picture.php

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Thanks for the cane planting tek OH, won't help me today but who knows??
your holes look nice, whats in #7? that the Jack? best of luck with the choppers!

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great info in growing in the cane OH! We got a sprinkling of rain 2 nights ago, but it's still dry as fuck down here. And the crazy wind lately certainly doesn't help! Glad you didn't catch fire up there yet (it's going to be a long dry summer!).

Dirtboy808

Veteran
OH Thanks for the trip down memory lane. We have no more cane. And you are 1000% right no trails and after the last poison gang. I use to ride the flumes to get to spots. Those young days. The birds are on Oahu this week. Kauai next ?

Some great tips Oldhaole!, never knew the cane is GMO'd to be immune to roundup, they spray it by plane? I've never seen a feild being sprayed from the air before..

after readin your post I went out again yesterday in another direction and found alot of nice big young canefeilds being watered, lush healthy thick feilds too, perfect for planting, maybe tommorow ill throw some in, got my nutricote today, jus gotta dig out my old folding shovel.

JohnG

I am really enjoying this thread. Nice grow.

I am taking my teenage son to Maui next week for the first time and we will spend a week showing him the island.

So how's your newest batch of pig-dogs doing?

Also...curious if the cane landowners cruise their property, and what happens if they DO find someone's garden?

oldhaole

Veteran
Damn....Your trying to tell me people actually read this shit?

Wow...I'm somehow touched....but you guys and gals probably already figured that out by now.

Got some questions to answer....I can see Weez shaking his head, muttering "Idiots...don't feed him....whatever you do...Don't feed him!"....sorry Weez....too late now.

Rusty? How be the psycho puppies? This pic shows the rigid training schedule the poor babies are on.

picture.php

The last couple of dogs we got came from the pound. We missed the puppy stage. Forgot all about puppies....

It's all comming back now.

Chucky...thats Bloody Widow....neat name huh? An old jungle strain, here forever, mostly Thai based crossed with White Widow male.

And the cane info ain't gonna help anyone unless they live here.

Used to be all the islands grew cane....and pineapple. Pineapple for all intensive purposes is dead. Maui had four sugarmills. Now we have one. And that was close to tits up...until energy prices went thru the roof...now it looks like the'll make it.

Dirtboy is right....Growing up here was an experience. But, sure as shit has changed.

Nuff memory lane.

Festivus...real dry this year. I fear your right.

Dirtboy...do they even fly GH on Oahu? I'd realy like to know how and when they work each island....information is power.

We have a bunch of us that do it here....call each other when they fly...make the houseplants disappear....statewide would be even better.

Major...ty

Hawaiian...Now they use a chopper. Good luck...if you have any questions as you go along....

Evil Cartman.... How are things back at the old mothership? Welcome to a better place.

Johng...Enjoy your trip...Weather's been nice...but windy.

The landowner is a little conglomorate called A&B. They don't like you on their land...depends who you meet up with and how it happens.

Rusty...The fields have security. But they stay on the main (paved) roads, and they tend to stick around the heavy equiptment, and harvestable fields (stuff that will burn, or costs big bucks). If they see you...unless properly trained...they'll chase you...find mud.

What happens when they find your shit....nothing good.

Again...who found it, and what were they doing in the cane in the first place?

Some will try to move the plants, some will destroy them in place, some will race you back to them, and some leave you alone.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Back to the drawing board . . .

Back to the drawing board . . .

Dawn....Glad to hear it. Feel free to do the log. I hope your first true love is back.

I was out of town when Tropical Storm Debby hit, just got back today. My established Mums of all my other keeper strains made it through just fine but that Bitch did a number on my Rodney seedlings. There are a couple that should pull through but the majority just got blown to hell, literally snapped off at dirt level. They were potted up and in a well protected area, but by the time I got back it was a pretty devastating scene, so the GG thread has been postponed until such time as I can pop the few remaining beans and continue the search for the one.

I've lived here most of my life and this is the slowest moving storm I can ever remember. That Bitch just sat in one place like she was on the couch watching soaps, eating bon bons and scratchin' her fat windy ass . . . .

Last edited:

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Yeah no worries there, some folks have flooding and power outages, but she's not a hurricane so no major structural damage for most folks.

Honestly the biggest issue is that there are no other fronts to keep her moving along so she's just sitting there churning away without moving much.

oldhaole

Veteran
Fuckin' With Green Harvest Can Be Fun

Fuckin' With Green Harvest Can Be Fun

Dawn...this is an add on edit.

Shit. Debbie got'cha. Look at the bright side. Moms are fine. Seedlings are a dime a dozen. I have more if you run out. Just looked.

Dirtboy....where are they this week?

I can answer that question. Today they are here....no, here...right here.

I was off by a week. It doesn't make sense to hop an island then come back to it. Waste money. After BI, we're next. They'll do it the lazy way and go right down the line. Last week was too windy and shit burned. So I was smelling a GH this week. Kept all the keikeis' in the light room since Monday. See? a little paranoia is a good thing.

Wifey is sick...running a fever...That also turned out to be a good thing. Kept her inside.

The silver chopper came first. Just there, didn't see him comming. He circles the gulch....spends 10 minutes checking my whole place out. Then leaves.

That's my cue to let all the dogs out, lock the gate, and grab the shears and haul ass down to the bottom garden and take the last Valley OG clone.

Two hours later here comes the Puma....same thing, circles for ten minutes then leaves.

An hour later I hear a yell from my front gate. Two cops. Apparantly my neighbor told them last time not to land on his private property. And mine is so uneven...a crash waiting to happen.

So they landed on the road and walked up the street. And it's a real steep hill.

Same cop as last time. They ask for cards and want to come on the property to see the plants.

Pull out my phone. First words out of my mouth

"You don't mind if I record this conversation?"

"No" they say.

"Cool, may I have your names and badge numbers"

They give me them.

"Now what can I do for you? Here are my cards."

They take down the info. I call my patient and tell her a chopper will be visiting her soon.

"We need to count your plants" they say.

What were you flying over my place just doing? You were up there for a half hour. I think you have already counted them. How many did you see?

"Fourteen." they say

"You missed one. There's fifteen." I reply.

"That's why we need to come in and check."

"You have a search warrant for my yard?"...I say the magic words.

"No....got'em backpeadaling.

"Well we don't really need that. We have to see if your excedeing your numbers." cop 2 says.

"You just said you saw fourteen plants. I have it on tape. You have permits for 21 in your hand. I'm six under. See any buds?" ... Now I'm trying to get their mouths to sink them.

And they know it. This time dead silence. Shit.

"That's what I thought. I have five that would fall under your stupid definition of mature. I'm allowed nine. Last time I let you come in you gave the fuckin' pilot a tour of my garden. Then he ran over the ones left behind. I ain't gonna give eight cops a guided tour of my garden. No, you may not come on my property. You can look from the air til' you run out of gas. I'm legal. Have a nice day."

And then I walk back to the house. Must have been 15 dogs barking at them. Both sides of the fence. Even the puppies were barking.

Wanna hear the funny part?

I have no idea if my phone will record a conversation. If it does...I don't know how to run it. It was a bluff.

I am way under my #'s.

The catch is anytime the cops see a white hair...they consider the plant "mature". If you invite them in they get a much closer look....Fuck that noise...don't invite them in. Let 'em look from 500 ft above. And unlike the BI they like to fuck with everybody. They see a plant...there comming down to get it.

Wonder if the overflow in the other gulch came thru? Oh, that would just be icing on the cake.... Find out Friday.

Will they dig up a search warrant?...I don't see how...

Was this smart?...probably not. I'm on their radar. But I have been since last year. Last year was a clusterfuck. If they don't come back this week...the'll be back next month. And everything will be bigger. But that extra month will get the next batch of clones taken and another batch planted....and still be within my numbers.

Worked around GH for a lot of years. Mostly watching them haul stuff away. First time I ever got a say in the process.

Last edited:

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Wow!
You guys!
You nevah listen.
Jus' hadda feed him dincha?

<Weeze wanders off shaking his ol' grey head an' muttering>

Aloha nui Mr. Brass ones. Much respect

Wee

JOJO420

Veteran
Well buddy ,I'm grateful you got to keep your plants. I would not have let them on my property either. Do you think they will pull a search warrant? Really? Time time to sterilize the house either way, nothing incriminating allowed :)
What can they do honestly? If your legal and your numbers are right, I don't think that is enough to sink your ship. they are gonna need some other dirt on ya for that..
Anyway good luck, stay safe and congrats on not getting raided :)

I saw on Dirtboy808's post #96 a picture of the little chopper and the coast guard. I saw that same pic in action that day. I saw those same two doing those spirals and the little guy going down. They flew my plants 3-4 times in that same week, but did nothing. That pic was when they got a hit, they did circles and went for at least an hr that day over that spot. They have not been back near my plants since. I expect I will get a July or Jug visit, if not both.

Dirtboy808

Veteran
OH. Way to go Bra! They bugged me for 2 days. They never did much other then fly low.
But 2 weeks before the Feds were hitting people. They got the guy down the street from me I watched it all. They broke into his greenhouse and cut everything. No local cops at all and the locals never new what the DEA was up to or so the police chief said and the paper won't publish he complaints. Life in the Puna lane. Aloha