What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stevius in Micro World

Stevius

Whatup IC'ers?!
Care to join me in one of my adventures?

I have spent some time bulding my "super stealthy-micro speaker grow" and finally I have made some progress! :jump:

First let me say that it was very difficult to make it VERY silent. At first I wanted to make everything on 230V, without adaptors and shit.

First problem I encountered was, when I fixed a fan to the back side with screws, the vibrations started to make the noise and the wood only amplified it. So I used some sort of rubber (foam?) and glued them!

picture.php

I used a fan for 220V but it was simply too loud. Even glued with rubbers/foam.

So the decision was made to go with PC FANS 12V.
So after buying few fans and countless changes of "the blueprint", here it is:

picture.php

:woohoo:

picture.php

Inside we have 2 23W CFL's and two 12cm fans and one 8 cm as an exhaust.

picture.php

picture.php

Lights are 12/12 from seed. One of the reasons is small space and the other one is because of safety (runing only at night when everybody is sleeping
picture.php
)

The temps vary from: 17 °C - 33 °C (~ 63°F - 91°F)

picture.php

I am also very proud of the silence. It is so silent that it can compete with laptops!

Now to make everything more interesting, no one in the house must know about it. NO ONE!!!
So it is a truly test of stealthiness and we will soon see if it is stealthy enough. If I can hide a grow with people I live, then hiding it from everyone else will be a piece of cake

I have encountered only one problem with the sound. Speaker itself is very quiet. But when I put it on a shelf above my bed in the corner..... that corner somehow amplyfies the whole sound a bit. Not a very big deal but still a noticeable difference between being on the floor (with nothing on the back side of the box) or on the shelf in the corner.

picture.php

The grow is in the right speaker. I know... I accidentaly flipped it up side down... :bashhead:

Will be using Bio-bizz nutrients

picture.php

All we need is a PH-meter (I know it is a chep one, but I dont have money for a fancy digital one)

picture.php

And we're ready to go! :woohoo:

Stevius

topic - Welcome to the show! :wave:

shushslo - Hey brotha! :friends: Hope everything is smooth at your end. Glad having you around! :friends:

grow1620 - Welcome grow1620! Yes, plans for filter were made long ago and it was also build. Sorry I have forgot to mention that. I will post some pics of the carbon filter and the back side of the speaker in the next update! Stick around :wave:

k1net1k - No unfortunately the speaker is not working cause I needed the space inside. So I had to remove that huge magnet part. It would be fun though if it would still work.

kidkannabis Welcome fellow grower! Also growin in a speaker? Do you have a thread where I could check it up? Otherwise, good luck bro! :kos:

CANNACO-OP - Hey bud! :friends: Nice to see you chimming in!

ScrubNinja - Very nice to have you around ScrubNinja and a BIG THANKS TO YOU and your PC FAN GUIDE. :respect: It helped me to remind things I have forgot about eletricity even though I studied it :laughing: Please do stick around cause I have a feeling that I might need ya anytime soon! :kos:

Thanks for the visit and nice words everyone. Stick around as I will post some pics of the back side of the speaker with light traps and a carbon filter, everything DIY, everything seen and learned here on ICMag!

Keep it green and stay safe!

Stevius

As promised, here it is update. The back side of the speaker

picture.php

A simple DIY, anybody can do it!

picture.php

And light-traps...

picture.php

Now I've mentioned before that it is very silent but when I put him in the corner the sound somehow amplifies.

Well I camed with a solution:

picture.php

It's a cardboard box taped over the filter with a small hole on the bottom. There was also some minor light leaks through the filter so I killed two flies with one shot puting this box on. Though I should fill that filter more nicely so when the flowering time comes there will be no unwanted smells! The box is painted in black from inside. On the outside I put newspaper and taped it with lots of powertape.

I can assure you... A LAPTOP IS MORE LOUDER THAN THIS THING!!! :woohoo:

As for the plant here it is:

Day 8

picture.php

picture.php

Have been feeding her with Bio Grow from Bio-Bizz. Very light mixture 1 mL/L. Run off water is at 6.5 PH somewhere.

What can I say... The plant seems to enjoy!

picture.php

Though I have quite high temps. 35 °C (~95 °F)
Maybe too much? To me it seems like it is no problem but still have some thoughts on that.

How much is too much?

Keep it green y'all! :wave:

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Yeah 95º is too high. They'll start showing a downturn soon, I would think. They can take more heat in veg but of course you will want to flower. I get crazy high temps in my cab this time of year - but general temp is around 85 and verrrry occassionaly it hits 90 in there. There is heavy foxtailing from the heat. Low to mid 80's would be much nicer, if you couldn't hit the range Habeeb suggested. Best wishes.

Wow. I am totally new to the whole world of MicroGrows and I am amazed at your work.
Well done! it is just beautiful...

I have grown before with HPS and hydroponic setup but now, where I live and other responsibilities dictate that any grow would have to be a stealthy microgrow.
You have given me a boost of inspiration my friend!!!
The box I will be using is actually an old antique microscope...I ditched the insides as it was no good and now have a nice wooden box.
Anyway I won't steal your thread, just wanted to say how impressed I am and I will likely be looking for tips when I get it underway ;)

Can you explain a bit more about how you made the filter?
Can't wait to follow this as it goes on.
Brilliant!
:)

le crunch

This looks great Stevius. You should flip the other speaker upside down so they match, it's less noticeable = more stealthy. What are the dimensions of the speaker?

Mk3Jetta

You need to run your passive intake through the false speaker on the front. This will aid in air circulation and you wont be sucking warm air through your intake that is being pumped out by your exhaust. Go buy some black foam filter from a fish supply store. It may be called carbon filter(the foam stuff not the granulated) but it wont do shit for smell. You can put it behind that speaker circle and it will still flow air but also help block light. I cannot attest to its light blocking ability however.

Which of your fans is the most powerful? Highest Amperage? more than likely that will be your strongest fan and thus should be used as exhaust.

Be careful with two fans circulating the air in your cab because it will make your exhaust fans job more difficult.

just a couple cents for ya.

Glad to hear you got the sound thing figured out!

Have you done any tests to see if that carbon filter works? Light an incense inside your cab, leave your room for a while(about a half an hour), come back and see if it smells in there .