What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Step by step bubble cloner set up (good for newb cloners)

Bush Grower

GET MO said:
Will too much bubbles stunt the root growth to? I notice they aint goin as quick as they should be. Yeah my stems are bend'n like crazy, I think for the next batch maybe Ill take out one of the bubble makers...

Side note I put some h2o2 in the cloner and it seemed to help, just about 3 tablespoons.

edit:this is at 6 days..

I like the idea to use foil to hold up the clones. Thanks for the idea.. Ima do something similar with mine.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
No problemo!
Do yall PH your water in the cloner? seems like root growth was goin good then all a sudden stopped...

SvenB

Think Im gonna make one of these soon, the one with foil looks alright but wouldn't it be just as easy with like pool noodle?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Anybody tried adding H2O2 (hydrogen Peroxide) to the water? I heard it would oxegenate them more and at the same time help keep bacteria away....

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
GET MO said:
Why Im gettin slime on da stems?

Sounds like algae. Thats not good at all. Check the Strange Slime sticky in the Infirmary. You need to fix it asap or you risk losing your clones. Algae can def. be a problem in a bubble cloner.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Right on, so whats the best stuff to use for this slime? I read through a lot of that thread but couldnt find no strait answers..

Last edited:
im using rockwool to hold my cuts in the 1/2 inch holes, while the tips are about a 1/2 inch in the water, the bubbles are popping and moistening the rockwool, this wont cause my clones to start rooting higher on the stems will it?

Merman

im using rockwool to hold my cuts in the 1/2 inch holes, while the tips are about a 1/2 inch in the water, the bubbles are popping and moistening the rockwool, this wont cause my clones to start rooting higher on the stems will it?

Yup.... it sure will, but there's nothing wrong with that eh? The more roots sites the better, doesn't really matter where they sprout from! Heck, I'd love to see the whole stem root from tip to tail!

You can (sometimes) achieve this result by making a shallow/scrape incision down the whole stem on one side to expose the stem cortex. I can never remember if its supposed to be the cambrium or the phloem.......

I've had substantially more success by keeping the stem tips OUT of the water....

100% rooting on this run!

im guessing the neoprene pieces dont wick water as much as rockwool, so i might just switch to those, i am not sure i am going to want roots that high up on my stems

Fingaz2

Anyone tell me best size of air pump to get? I dont want a jacuzzi, but will need eneough air for 20 plants. Maybe 2 of those air wands. Usually measured in litres /minutes, litres /hours or watts. ....cheers.

Merman

The setup 2 posts up features the following to clone up to 28 sites:

Eco Air 2: Larger unit that features dual (2) 1/4 inch variable output outlets and uses 6.0 watts of electricity per hour. 4.5 liter per minute total output at 1.75 PSI per outlet. Measures 6.5 inches long by 3.75 inches wide by 3.4 inches tall, weighs 1.3 pounds. Ideal for hydroponic reservoirs up to 20 gallons.

And 2 of the double micro pore diffusers (one on each outlet). These are awesome diffusers....never wear out, easy to clean, fine bubbles. I didn't buy them from this outfit, but this shows pics of most everything available.

https://www.jollygreenhydro.com/onlinestore/product.php?productid=16643

i built one of these systems, have 10 cuts in it, a 2 gallon rubbermaid with a 28w heater that keeps the water at 80 degrees, and two bubble bars, its been about 2 weeks, and none of my cuttings are show9ing any roots, they all look pretty healthy on the top, but when i look underneath the stems are as bare as when they went in, not sure whether i want to scrap these clones yet and try a new batch, or wait it out, on the one hand i was given a bottle of olivias cloning gel by a friend so i am not sure whether it was contaminated or not, but i left one cut out of the gel just to see the difference and that hasnt rooted either,is it reasonable to wait and think they will root, or will the amount of time they have been rootless just shock the shit out of them and kill them eventually>?>?? any advice as to be more successful ??

Merman

smoka- I'd recommend turning the heat down a few degrees closer to 72-75F.

As long as your tops look good (they should look just like the day you cut'em)... you should be okay. Some strains just take a long time to root. Cloning solution/gel is not necessary for bubblers.

Questions:
Did you leave at least one node exposed on each cutting?
Did you cut your stem tips at 45 degrees?
Are the stem tips above the water or below?
What are you doing for light?

hey merman thanks for taking the time to help, i am not to sure what i can do about the heat because im using a pre set temp water heater, keeps the water in between 75 and 80 degrees F, i did leave a node exposed on each cutting, i cut my tips on the 45 with a sterile blade (close enough to a 45 to count), i submerged most of my stem tips maybe a quarter of an inch in the water, and for light i am using a 25w daylight cfl, one thing that i couldve done waas fed my moms some nutes before taking cuts, i had been giving her straight water for probably a week before i took my cuts, maybe the didnt have enough nutrients to finish, some where yellowing from the inside out, so couldve been lacking nitrogen or something else, also how much does ph play a role in this, i had phed my water at 6 and when i checked the next week it was at about 7, would this have an affect on root growth??