What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Step by step bubble cloner set up (good for newb cloners)

F

feral

Test and report, please.

my bad. I did this not long after and forgot about this post. It took a day or so off of the rooting process but did leave a slimy build up on the sides of my container. what I'm going to try next when my new moms are ready is to soak the cuts overnight in a glass of willow water and then into the bubbler.

I am confused. In the OP, first it says to have a blacked-out container. Then, in the last paragraph of hte OP, it says you can have a clear container and clones will still be successful.

Which is it?

F

feral

It's best to have the container light proofed to help minimize the chance of algae growing in it. And further on in the thread the OP states it's best to black it out

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When they get nice long roots going.They go straight into my grow bottles.

i have to know more about these bottles of yours .... they look very interesting .

Grizz

Veteran
i have modified this system to use a regular humidity dome cloner with rapid rooters, out of every method i have ever used this one works the best, i would say at least 99% of all cuts root in it, the only ones that dont is the valley og kush.

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Hey guys great thread and DIY cloners.

quit using the hydrogen peroxide - like it says in the post right above yours - and read instead of bump
this is my first time cloning so bare with me.

do you guys use h2o2 in your cloners? My temps are around 78, i noticed some roots after 4 days! but they have sludge on them. The clones seem fine though. How much should I use, if it all?

Im thinking about changing the water after a week if h2o2 isnt safe. When doing a transplant with clones, how close should the water temps be between the old and fresh water? Is it ok to take them from the 78 degree water straight to the cool 68 degree tap water? Im just curious. I will probably get the new water temp up to like 74. but even then, is an instant 4 degree swing shocking?

Excuse me?
:rant:

picture.php
is that?
I mean those are really valid and important question, what the fuck is the matter with giving an informative answer instead being an ass? STFU and read dude. The post right above his, WAS his and 5 later hours he bumped trying to get an answer.

Crap people the H2O2 question has been asked at least a dozen times in this thread and nobody wants to give a straight answer.
picture.php

Okay. Now on to the important stuff:

Keep the system clean by dumping, washing and refilling it every 5 to 7 days. Adding h202 @ 1 tsp to 1 tbsp a gallon (or 5 to 15 mls a gallon) (H2O2 = Hydrogen Peroxide) every few days will help keep the system clean, and will add oxygen to the res. I will usually use less than more because while it does help control algae and slime; it does also kill off tiny roots and makes em brittle and it's just too easy to change out the water more often. I don't add anything else except plain fresh tap water.
But it really can't be stressed enough to eliminate all light leaks. If it's dark in there and has fresh clean water every week then, well then if needed a little H2O2 will usually do the trick. But H2O2 shouldn't even be considered if you allow light into the rez. The light is the problem, algae is the result. Fix the problem and most times H2O2 won't be needed.

No need to add any rooting hormones into the system or to the cuttings stem as they are ALL water based and thus will be washed off in seconds.

However, gels or solutions like Rootec or Olivia could be used but I have tried every brand I've come across and noticed no difference in rooting times.

hey everyone! ive been away from my comp for a while.This thread it seems has plugged along for a while now.I see a lot of good inovations to fit individual growing styles...outstanding!!Keep em coming.i've found another hidden wal-mart gem in the aquarium isle.(i do a lot of my grow shopping in the aquarium section)...This stuff is the shit for ph buffering and most importantly "algae control".I premix 15L of tap water(7.8 ph is a plant sizzler on it's own)with 7ml of easybalance.The water stays crystal clear and fresh for a long time.Oh and the p.h is a perfect 7.0.The trace elements and vitamins can't hurt either.A little goes a long way.I only use this water in my cloner....

Hey I might like that idea for my bubblers. I will have to try it on a couple for a few runs.
Thanks bud.

Just bought some rootone at Ace Hardware today its a power rooting hormone. Im just wondering whats the best way to apply it using this method? wont the water just wash it off?

Okay again, I think it is a complete waste of time. But I use Rootone on some hard to root strains. I mix it into a thick gel using KY jelly. I use the plain jane water soluble stuff, unscented, no flavors or color. Mix it up and apply it with an artists paintbrush.
I use it primarily for "pre-cloning" on hard to clone cuts. Just mix it up and paint it on a few days before you intend to cut your clones. The paste will dry some but with usual foliage spraying it stays moist enough to start root nubs even before cutting if from the mother.

Flo Grow

This is my Cooler Cloner bubbler.
About to fire it up within a week.

Plants are now on Bloom Day 4.

Cooler is 2.1gal Igloo with 2 inch neoprene inserts in 1.75 inch holes.

Strains to be cloned:

Bodhi's SR71 Purple Kush x Appalachia (Green Crack x TresDawg[ChemDawg BX3] )

TGA's Chernobyl

Outlaw's Double Purple Doja F3

Temps should remain more stable and no light leaks as well.

Attachments

• 2 gallon Clone Cooler_01.jpg
    2 gallon Clone Cooler_01.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 2 gallon Clone Cooler_02.jpg
    2 gallon Clone Cooler_02.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 2 gallon Clone Cooler_03.jpg
    2 gallon Clone Cooler_03.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 2 gallon Clone Cooler_05.jpg
    2 gallon Clone Cooler_05.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 26
F

ftsig

hi there , whats the best way to transplant the clones in to soil after rooting in the bubble cloner?

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I have to give this method props now as well. So many more pros to the regular humidity dome cons. First here are immediate benefits that I have noticed.

*You can use clear containers and see root development on a daily basis and note progress or any bad issues going on. With rockwool cubes it was just a guessing game.

*I already had an aquarium heater for making ACTs so I was able to use this to keep optimal temps in the water. This is cheaper than buying a heating bad for the dome and it has multiple uses (ACTs and cloning. Also had the airstones, and air pump from making ACTs so all I needed for the bubble cloner was a rubbermaid container and some rubber hose laying around to hold the clones.

* You don't need a humidity dome over the lot of clones. I had a poor success rate with the regular dome method and I was having problems with mold growing on the outside paper of the rooting cubes with the dome. Also, new growth being put out by the clones was very unhealthy looking and would be very yellow and scraggly looking. Introducing them to real world humidity (or lack thereof) would be an immediate shock that would take them days and days to get over, not to mention the yellowed growth dying off and making the clone look like hell. All bubble cloner clones are putting off fresh green growth and they are already used to ambient humidities so they won't be shocked being introduced to a new set of parameters.

*Making your own bubble cloner is extremely easy and cheap, and since you are making your own you can design it to your exact specs. Also, it is very easy to purchase all the required parts and they are very affordable as well. It will pay for itself after just one use!

* You don't need any rooting hormones either, just straight water! I don't know if this will help expedite the process at all but I'm having roots popping out of some of my quicker clones at 2 weeks. None of my clones look sad at all and I can only imagine that most, if not all are going to be shooting out roots here soon.

Sorry if all this has been covered already but I didn't want to read past the first two pages. Just wanted to weigh in with my two cents and give Cortez props for posting such a helpful how-to tutorial. Definitely took much of the headache of cloning for me and others on here as well I'm sure. :yes:

i really cant tell you that one works better than the other. but everybody needs to make a bubble cloner and an aerocloner they kick ass!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

great results from the aerocloner as well.

mad props to this thread. This was so cheap and easy!!

the fisherman

ok guys hopefully som1 can help me out i am having an awful time with this method well every method ive tried i am trying to clone trainwreck venus flytrap super skunk og kush grandaddy purple i have had a few live but the most of what i have put in the cloner has died i cannot figure out whats going on but this is exactly how im doin it!!

i started with a large tub cut 80 holes in it i tried putting the tin foil over the top and poking stem sized holes in it to accept the stems that caused my stalks to bend upwards and float on top of the water i have a fish heater and a hydro farm digital thermostat i keep the water between 78-80 degrees my clones sit in their looking good for about a week and a half then some clones start to bump and put out lil prongs most yellow and die or they shrivel and die so i first figured it was all because of the way the water pressure bent the stems so i scratched the tin foil. now im taking the tin foil rolling it up into a long tube and i roll it allound my stem like a plug and pop it in the hole now i do not get a bend but i am still having the same issues with my clones not wanting to root as far as i know everything im trying to clone is a easy cloning strain the only thing i cant find on here is a depth to put the stems down mine are about 4-5 inches below the water line and i have been using the easy balance to keep the water decent can anyone trouble shoot what my problem is this is gonna ruin me this season ive already killed 160 clones and got 20 that dont look very healty and are probobly gonna die aswell

Wondering if you guys have any experience with this nasty slime I'm getting. I had to shutdown my major operation in a few days ago and I brought my clothes in her back to my house. View attachment 221641 Evidently the corner doesn't like it here very much because N three days I change the water out twice because it became cloudy. And started growing this nasty slime here. View attachment 221642 View attachment 221643

I'm doing the same exact thing I was there about 1 1/2 teaspoons of root 66 for the whole container. The major notable differences the pH with 6.0 out of the tap at the previous location and it is a much higher 7.5 here at my current location. I didn't know if pH play that big of a part in cloning but I was looking towards this thread maybe someone could help me out. I really don't want to lose the strains. If I can't figure out its problem I'm at the point where I'm going to take everything that has roots entrance planet and hopes of keeping it alive. Any help would be much appreciated

sent from my Droid RAZR Maxxfrom another dimension...

Last edited:

Firebrand

hi there , whats the best way to transplant the clones in to soil after rooting in the bubble cloner?

Any suggestions? Has this question been answered already in this or some other thread?

I would say that a rooted cutting coming from a very humid environment with no soil going to a soil environment will need a significant amount of moisture in said soil? Correct?