What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Step by step bubble cloner set up (good for newb cloners)

also i have low ppm tap water, its about 60 ppm, is it safe to clone with water straight from the tap or should i let it sit out a day to let all the chlorine evaporate??

Merman

smoka - try some of your clones with the stem tips above the water level and see what happens. Chlorine won't hurt your clones and keeps the bacteria at bay for a couple of days (till it evalporates).

You are probably onto something r/t feeding your Mom's. Try giving them a bit of Nitrogen boost the week before so all your cuttings will have a solid N reserve to draw from.

Don't worry about the PPM at this point... very light veg nute once roots are in. Its a good idea to go ahead and pH the water, but not absolutely necessary.

Some folks claim a humidity dome isn't necessary or slows rooting on bubblers.... I'm not one of those. I keep the humidity dome in place till roots show. The dome serves to keep the air nice and warm, air will end up being the same temp as your water which is why you don't want the water much more than 76-78F max. I have four small holes drilled in each corner of the bubbler lid to let the excess water drain back.

cortez

Hey everyone!!! i have been out of action for a while.i am amazed this thread has stayed alive!!!wow, excellent work everyone.keep it simple and keep experimenting.i'll keep checking in from now on in as i am slowly getting my stealthed out 2 plant room going again.i just got some purple#1 seeds today and am painfully(but patiently) am going from seed to veg to flower to sex and then hopefully to mother and then to clone and veg and flower and harvest...wow!!!all from a seed.I will post pics as soon as i can

Xare

My first attempt at cloning was not going so well. So I built this bubble cloner to try and save them.

I was using peat pucks and on the 5th day I stopped spraying them, but it got hot that day the clones wilted.

I put them in a cool shady area and misted them while I made up this bubble cloner.

This was created with stuff lying around the house.

picture.php

It took me a few hours to do all the work and I put the clones in it then went to bed.

When I woke up they looked much better, only 2 looked a bit wilted but they looked stronger. And when I checked again hours later none of them looked wilted at all.

Ive noticed that I do not need to spray when using the bubble cloner, the leafs seem to stay a bit damp. Iam not sure if the water is wicking up the stem but its keeping them nice and damp.

The foam inserts you see are from a Pool Raft. I took a 2 inch hole drill and made the 40 cutouts. Then I cut them down the middle so you can separate them and put in a clone.

The holes in the lid are 1 and 3/4 inches. That way the foam inserts fit in nice and snug.

As you see I also cut the lid and placed it down in the rubbermaid. This is to avoid any leaks from the lid. It has holes in the handles, i filled them with a hot glue gun. The lid is resting on these handles on the inside of the rubbermaid.

The Aquarium heater / thermostat is working great so far, ive got the temps @ 75 degree's

I added a bit of rooting hormone and H2O2 to the water.

The rubbermaid I used is kinda big but its what I had, and this 40 spot cloner will be great for my needs. Because it takes so much water, I added some things in the bottom to take up water volume. 2 liters with water and rocks as ballast to keep them sunk.

I did this so the volume of the water is less and the bubblers have to oxygenate less water. I also have my bubblers resting on these.

Still the water is making the sides flex out a bit. Ive covered it with plastic wrap for now.

I sure hope this thing works for me. If they do root iam gonna transplant them into a Hempy SOG grow.

cortez

looking good xare.do you have the bottom for that rubbermaid lid?that will solve your bulging problem.you don't need to add anything to your water.they dont need anything at this stage.a sudden ph shift from the additives could be fatal.slime will develop rapidly also.change your water often.(every 2 days)be sure your heater is unplugged when changing the water or the glass housing will crack.i learned that one the hard way.if the cuttings perked up from wilting that means they are starting to respond to the light.in other words you will be successful...good luck

Xare

I got my first root last night, and I saw one more this morning !

picture.php

I also installed a wire support to hold the sides in last night.

picture.php

But thats a good idea about the rest of the lid too. I did keep it. When I made the cut I drilled a hole and cut out the rest with a jigsaw so its intact.

onegreenday

Veteran
they look very nice there. good going.

Has anybody done the floating clone raft method
and how does it compare to this method?

thanks.

I've had 2/5 clones root on me in a time span of about 3 weeks. My cuttings were taken when I topped my vegging plants; so far the cuttings are still healthy looking. I only made a 45 degree angle cut on the bottoms, can I go back and make the center cut to expose the cortex this far in?

My temps are in the low 80's since my garage is kind of warm with the summer kicking in. Will my remaining 3 cutting eventually root? They still have their dark green color and leaves are pointing towards the light.

cortez

try changing your water daily.as for stem splitting this far in i have never had to do it that far in.try one and see.

Can you takecuts from a budding plant or even from one that has been pollinated? Also, I have heard you can make your own bubble wand from the airline by poking needle holes all over it, does anybody know if this will work? No resources to get the bubble stone but I already have access to an airpump. If anybody has made one and had any success I'd love to hear about it. I love to make all my own stuff, I even make my own reflectors for my lights.

StonedBong!

My clones are wilting when I transplant them. I have have cloned and rooted a couple batches with my bubble cloner already no problem... I wait until they have a large enough root mass, I plant them in soil which isnt too moist, but lately all my clones have been wilting after I caringly transplant them into soil! This is so frustrating... Hopefully someone can help me figure this out!

Merman

Stoned - need a little more info... what's a 'large enough root mass'? How long are the roots?

A couple things that might help:
- Wait until the clones are actually producing new growth before transplanting (it doesn't have to be much, just the start of a new node or leaf set).
- Soak the crap out of your soil... I'm in coco and I 'soak' in the clones.... Once the clone is in the soil, wet it thoroughly so there are no air pockets and the soil is packed in snug against the roots.
- Don't transplant from the bubbler into a large container... start with something small first, like an 8 oz. cup. Once the clone is established in the soil environment (it should only need a few days), then go big.

:2cents:

StonedBong!

I wait until there roots are at least 3-4 cm long and until there is a good amounts of roots, not just 1 long one. I did went the soil but not too much. Come to think of it... I used to thoroughly soak the clones before when I transplanted them until there was water dripping out of each dixie cup... I transfer them into a dixie cup filled with fresh new soil. I think may not have wet the soil enough, because I watched some video on cloning before I transplanted them and it said not too much water, but they werent planting clones that had come from a bubble cloner they were planting clones that had been started in jiffy pellets. Anyways I think the problem was possibly not enough water in the soil.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
joluvs2gro, I use the airline with holes. Pins or nails don't really work, I drill the holes. I snake the airline across the bottom of the cloner and hotglue it in place. The big holes throw bigger water drops up than the airstones, if you're using a pseudo misting system like me.

Bubble clones have to have a couple inches of roots before going into dirt. The soilmix has to be light, well drained with little or no nutritive organic amendments. Of course, it needs to be thoroughly watered and left in a shady area until it shows signs of interest in light.

onegreenday

Veteran
i pruned the roots with scissors in my bubble cloner
to get a bushier mass for transplant. seemed to work ok

they took slow in dirt but I may have had too much
light after transplant. not sure but they seemed to transplant
slow (no root stimuli used) on some.

I N Hail

Growing Grower AKA Wasted Rock Ranger
Veteran
High all ,Just trying my first bubble cloner and have a couple ?

Does the water need to be changed/How often?

Does the clones need to be right in the bubbles ?

Thanks INH

Balazar

OK, I just read this entire thread and I didn't see this question asked. I just built my own bubble cloner a few weeks ago. I have have had a some clones get brown mushy stems. and the rest have white bumps all over but no roots forming. the white bumps started to appear about a week ago but no roots coming out. It seems like they are stuck and not wanting to root. The sides of my container are clear. Do roots not like light? Should I black out the sides. I have not had much trouble with algae. I'm using RO water that is ph balanced to 5.8 any help would be appreciated!

daemos

Sorry Balazar cant help you im still too new to give out advice...

Great thread guys, I read the whole lot, im very impressed and i learnt alot. I cant wait to get my own bubble cloner up and going!

A quick question: Could the bubble cloner work for seed as well? would this scenario work at all?

I like the use of rapid rooters, say that i soaked my seed for 24hrs... the seed is then placed in a rapid rooter. I then place the rapid rooter into the hole pre made in the lid of the cloner with enough water and bubbles wetting/soaking the bottom of the rapid rooter.

If the seed popps... would the bubble cloner be sufficent enough to help the seedling develop a good rooting system which then can be transplanted to the next medium which in in my case would be a dwc system.

If anyone can help me with question i would be very greatful!

Thanks...Mos

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
^^^^
Dont "soak" Rapid Rooters. They are wet enough right out of the bag to root a clone (or germ a seed). They hold a lot of moisture so wet Rapid Rooters leads to stem rot. Rapid Rooters in a tray with a humidity dome, 75 degree temps and a small CFL will root plenty enough to start a clone into a plant. You're making it too complicated.