What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

starting a micro sog

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Again, I'm NOT an electrician. You'll notice most lamps and appliances have cords only a few feet long. It has to do with amperage, heat, voltage drop and other sorts of voodoo. Point is, they use the skinny stuff for as short a run as possible and then get you on the house wiring ASAP. The National Electrical Code of 2002 says 14 AWG is the smallest size permitted for house wiring.

I'd wire the sockects with 16 AWG, leaving an extra foot or three for cord and plug. I'd use a 14 gauge ext cord for the run to the wall socket.

jimbob420

Ok, so I have the cab almost all set, I have the exahust setup on the outside with dryer tube that will run to the box. I would have it all done but the saw needed to get some juice. After I attach the exahust I will need to make some intake holes, what does everyone use to cover up the intake? Also as for the electricity I have just seperated the run into two seperate runs and will splice into a lower gauge ext cord right at the back of the box. I got a couple of the Fluorex lights that the doc talked about and I was able to take the 65 watt one out of the reflector and just hand the ballast in the box. I am going to end up having so pretty high wattage/lumens in there. Right now I am adding it up and I am looking at 6 - 42 watt CFL's and the 65watt fluorex in the flowering cab. That's 24505 Lumens and 1400 watts for the price of 317 watts!!! Does anyone know if the temps in there will be ok with a dayton 265 as the exhaust and passive intakes? Once I get it all setup I will just let it run with nothing in it at first to get an idea of the tempatures. Thanks for all the info guys, especially you freezerboy. After this one the clone/mother box should be a breeze.

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
40 some feet you are fine. in order to increase the wire resistance (which is close to negligible) to a point where it would affect the current, it would need to be at least 100 ft if not several hundred ft long. fyi

besides, you are using cfl's? you are more than fine.

jimbob420

so now I have it all setup and my blower is poping the circuit everytime I plug it in. time to debug, any suggestions?

EDIT: ok so when I plug in the lights to the same outlet they work fine, I have the blower on an ext cord to another circuit and it works fine, my question is why? the lights it would seem to me would pull more juice than the blower, the breaker is a 15 amp breaker, any suggestions?

Last edited:

jimbob420

Ok so for some reason I cannot upload any pics, when I try I get this message:

/data/web/icmag/icmag.com/www/gallery/uploads/10687: Error creating directory (check permissions).

Please notify the System Administrator.

Any Ideas?

FreezerBoy

Veteran
For intake filters, pantyhose is a big favorite. I use aquarium filter pads. Silk screen (like in a keif box) might work.

Pic uploading has been down for about a week. They say they're working on it.

Can't help you with the breaker. There's a point electricity becomes voodoo to me and this is one of those points

jimbob420

Well i have about 11 seedlings and they are all looking nice, when would you switch them to 12/12? I want to be able to sex them as quickly as possible and then chuck the males and hope to god i get a female I can take a clone from, which would become my mama plant. Do I have that correct or am I missing something?

Keep in mind they just sprouted and they are still babies will try and get back with some pics later :)

Jimbob, CFL lighting, and certain types of motor as in your blower create a condition called inductive load. This means the device requires a lot more power to start it up, than it does to run it. Most lighting is like this, which is why big HID lamps cause big spikes on the mains usage at lights on.

It is possible that this is what is causing your breaker to trip. The combined inductive load of the fan and lighting could be beyond the limit of your breaker. Or the running load of the lights plus inductive load of the fan.

In debugging, run the fan on its own, then turn the lights on. Then do the reverse, with lights run, then turn fan on. You'll see which device is tripping it then. Although personally i'd just run em on seperate circuits.

Last edited:

jimbob420

they are currently being run on seperate circuits, trust me I would have tried but as soon as I plug the fan in to the one circuit it pops the breaker, weird part is it runs the lights just fine and also there is really nothing else on this circuit besides maybe 1 bedroom light which was off at the time. Doesnt make any sense to me unless that fan is sucking more than 15amp which isnt right because then it would pop the other breaker just the same, only thing I can think of is a possible voltage leak but I have only witnessed that in cars and have no clue about home electric wiring

jimbob420

It's day 14 of 12/12 and the ladies (well hopefully ALL ladies) are doing good, I think that I may have been under-watering them. After reading so much about people over watering their plants I have been just letting them go until the soil is pretty dry in between waterings. So far it has been every 3 days of so but it seems like they really needed it this last round, some of the bottom leaves were yellowing and getting crispy. After a round of watering they regained color and aren't so crispy half way up, they are the very bottom leaves and I'm sure by now the light is barely getting to them.

A couple of them are def showing pistils :jump:

but i cannot get a decent pic ---->

Group shots --->

Some purty ladies--->

:rasta:

dbfr3sh

jimbo what are you trying to accomplish by this grow? you will yield next to nothing, plus you run the risk of most of them becoming hermies. When you dont wait till natural pre flowers show you screw up the plant. i jus saw your grow for a second, but do you have any ventilation in your set-up? another thing i would do would be to place all your bulbs horizontally you get more light out of each one. hope this is an experiment on your behalf because your going through alot of work for only about a half oz if your lucky. sorry

jimbob420

yes there is ventilation, there is a stanley blower being used as intake and there is a dayton 265 blower that is being used as the exahust, if you look at the pics of the old cab u can see the exahust on the left and the passive intake holes on the right.

At this point I am not even using that same cab, the new cab is this one...

I dont know what exactly you mean about waiting until you se natural preflower as I have seen at least half a dozen other grows on here with good results that have started on 12/12 from seed and others that have gone on 12/12 with clones that have only rooted for a very short period of time like dr green buds.

Your bleak outlook on my grow has kinda got me down now thou as you are the first person to say that it is not doing well. I will tell you that this is the first time that I have ever grown anything ever. Also this is somewhat of an "experiment" as it is a learning experience and it was all started from bag seed with mids. I simply wanted to ensure that the box would work as expected and that I could have every thing I needed in place before I attempted to grow out some name brand strains. I have at the moment some skywalker seeds and some SB sam the skunk man original skunk and haze freebie seeds and they will be the first attempt at growing out something worthwile.

I figured that instead of mutilating a perfectly good skywalker plant trying to make it into a mother plant and take clones off of it I would first try to do it with a shitty bag seed plant.

I also do not agree with your projected harvest but we will see what happens as I do not have the experience with this to be cocky.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Think of the first effort as a waffle run. The rules of Waffles clearly states you get to throw the first one out. It doesn't count. It's what you go through to get it right the next time. If the goal is learning, the yield becomes pure gravy.

I've never waited for preflowers before flipping. I don't have the vertical space to waste. The very few times I've had hermies, they average 80%-90% of the grow which says to me it was in the seeds not the method.

jimbob420

yea, at this point i have only had to toss out 3 males, I have 5 confirmed females and 2 that still havent shown sex, not sure if any of them will be hermi's. Two of the females are doing FANTASTIC if you ask me but we will see what happens.

Thanks for the info freezerboy...another quick question, is it ok to take clones from a plant that is in the flowering stage? I have read that it is ok but also that it should never be done. Anyone have any first hand experience?

FreezerBoy

Veteran
I cloned my Thunk after 3 weeks of 12/12, just as she announced herself. The clones never reverted to veg even after months of 24/0. When allowed, they went straight to bud, I'll give them that. Ultimately I wasn't impressed with the final results but, played with so many variables I can't tell how much effect, if any, was the "fault" of the pre-flowering clones.