What's new

Stanley Blower Fan Mod

Jesse Pinkman

I re-did my Stanley setup by blocking the 2nd intake and adding 4" ducting to the exhaust. It's quieter than my oscillating fan now. No filter yet, though.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
fwiw, that second intake is designed to keep the motor cool. It will probably run ok, but the motor may not last as long as it should.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
The fan is strong enough to handle a little resistance. If your space wont work with a stanely mod, the you should go ahead and get an inline.

Jesse Pinkman

fwiw, that second intake is designed to keep the motor cool. It will probably run ok, but the motor may not last as long as it should.

Right, but I drilled the hole in the divider as mentioned earlier in this thread so the heat generated by the motor should be getting exhausted. Doesn't feel warmer to the touch thus far. We'll see :)

L

LJB

Attached to the blower part with tin tape is a semi-flattened out 6" to 4" reducer and to that, the 4" ducting. I was going to attach the 6" flexible ducting directly to the blower, but thought it would be easier to do it this way (solid reducer instead of flexible duct) with the blower piece being slightly wider than 6".

This thing on setting two (of three), with curved ducting attached to it runs stronger than an almost new 275 CFM with straight ducting that is used elsewhere. I almost can't believe how light-weight and quiet this fan is.

picture.php

Purchased for $52.00 including tax at Lowe's.

Spicoli

Client of Wu-Tang Financial. You need to diversify
Veteran
Stanley blowers are the shit...got 2 myself work great...and for 45 bux from wally world cant beat that

evoevo

I know this is probably the oldest thread ever. I have one question rather then starting a new one. If I was to cover the motor intake side will it burn up my motor? I had it covered for about 15 minutes and it seems it sucks a lot more air in then what it would not covered? Any ideas or experience?

Spicoli

Client of Wu-Tang Financial. You need to diversify
Veteran
ya best to leave the motor intake open...prob wouldnt be good for the motor if you did...just my 2 cents

evoevo

Ok cool. Yeah I just wanted to make sure. I covered it up for a few minutes and it seemed too work a lot better. I just didn't want to risk burning up my stanley motor.

Anyone removed the base on these yet? Seems like to do so would enable them to be placed into a smaller area. If they are used as an inline type fan, the base and foot section are really not needed. Just thinking out loud here, but also considering a small hack job to stream line the mix.

I have been thinking about cutting the legs off mine after this first grow is done. I cant see it harming anything and also I covered up my motor intake and the stanley runs more efficiently with it covered. its quieter and the temp actually dropped after covering it..... Just my 2 cents

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I havent set foot into this thread in a while, little lone post anything.

I know this is probably the oldest thread ever. I have one question rather then starting a new one. If I was to cover the motor intake side will it burn up my motor? I had it covered for about 15 minutes and it seems it sucks a lot more air in then what it would not covered? Any ideas or experience?

I remember people posting about doing that same thing with thier fans, and I don't ever remember any one saying anything about it having any ill effects on the fan. Yet many people allways wonted to know if it has had any ill effects. I myself have never covered them up.

Hey guys,

I got a carbon filter from foothills on ebay. it is a 8x14" and its hooked up in my closet. Would I be able to hook this up to my filter? I need to know whether it will screw up my filter or ruin it?

If i follow the steps correctly, im thinking it will be ok for my filter. Please help me out with this. I was going to go blow 350 on a new inline fan.

regards

ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350230494394

im going to take out the 240 axial fan and hook it up to my stanley blower. will this work?

thanks

SPECS of my filter:

240 CFM--6 3/4" NIDEC FAN (dBA 58)
180MM FAN GRILL
8'' OUTER CORE
14'' FILTERING LENGTH
16 1/2" OVERALL LENGTH
6 LBS. OF OF ACTIVATED CARBON

352 SQUARE INCHES OF FILTER SURFACE AREA

S

squirrelfooker

For everyone using 6" duct, taping/foaming a register boot onto the output of the blower isn't needed. 6" flex ducting will fit tightly over the output if you bend the wire in the duct and push it on there.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Ive been running a Stanley blower in various configs for over 2 years. It does start to whine a little but it's still blowing strong. And the built in outlets have come in handy! Every grower should have one.