What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spotify, IC, and other sources of misinformation. It’s all about the cash.

h.h.

Veteran
yup. time to go with steel framework &/or hempcrete blocks. wood looks cool, but...yeah, wasteful. starting to see post steel construction homes going up in places. metal roofs etc. is this a regional thing, or fairly widespread?

There’s a new steel house kitty corner from my property. Really nice. Very little upkeep. I see a lot of steel roofs. Somewhat regional. They make more sense here than California. Wood is good in earthquake country. It flexes. However with engineering, that becomes a mute point.
The news lately is of 3D printed houses using concrete and fiberglass. Advances in hybrid polymers using cellulose. Hempcrete if the market gets large enough. Modular homes made of sawdust…

Three Berries

One of the new homes around me is a Styrofoam form and concrete two story. Has stucco on the outside. They hardly have any utility bills.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
from my reading, hempcrete blocks much more flexible than concrete, possibly good in earthquake prone areas. the potential uses list just keeps getting longer. love it...

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There’s a new steel house kitty corner from my property. Really nice. Very little upkeep. I see a lot of steel roofs. Somewhat regional. They make more sense here than California. Wood is good in earthquake country. It flexes. However with engineering, that becomes a mute point.
The news lately is of 3D printed houses using concrete and fiberglass. Advances in hybrid polymers using cellulose. Hempcrete if the market gets large enough. Modular homes made of sawdust…

by steel roofs, do you just mean a metal clad roof or welded frame? My present roof is welded I beams with rebar/mesh concrete. One problem with these is corrosion/rust.

h.h.

Veteran
Welded steel beams are quite common in custom homes with open floor plans. Most I’ve seen were wood framed.
F2179140-2A58-4118-8272-9353446136B9.png - Click image for larger version  Name:	F2179140-2A58-4118-8272-9353446136B9.png Views:	0 Size:	477.3 KB ID:	18073850
by steel roofs, do you just mean a metal clad roof or welded frame? My present roof is welded I beams with rebar/mesh concrete. One problem with these is corrosion/rust.

3994CC20-91BF-4301-A235-0A1198D585FF.png - Click image for larger version  Name:	547CC317-C43A-4C73-8ABE-C4AD00F5A311.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	87.2 KB ID:	18073849

Attachments

• image_2111571.png
    image_2111571.png
    477.3 KB · Views: 38

h.h.

Veteran
54D8A169-9912-4C64-A9C1-F76A3D9EF012.jpeg
Here’s a rammed earth house I worked on years ago. The fireplace is typical block construction to satisfy the codes.

h.h.

Veteran
Cement is basically glue or a paste. Very little strength on its own. It’s only when aggregate is added that it becomes concrete and has strength. Adding hemp decreases compression strength. While hemp is a viable building product, all in all, using it for engineered wood might be a better process.
I’ve only worked on one styrofoam block house. For some reason, they couldn’t seem to transport them without a lot of breakage. They were using it for fake piers in some high dollar homes. I backed a wheelbarrow handle into one. Put a hole right through it. Styrofoam sheets are quite common under stucco. I’d like to wrap my house in it.

Hiddenjems

The bay of Tonkin, mkultra, weapons of mass distraction, etc......

The media helped lie us into wars killing hundreds of thousands. But some guy on rogan giving confirmation (right or wrong) to someone already against the vaccine is a huge safety issue?

Three Berries

You know you make your own reality. I'm comfy with mine.

I see Neal Young, Steven Stills and Joan Baez are all back on Spotify.

Latest posts

Latest posts