What's new

Split from : The Complete guide to Sick Plants,pH, and Pest troubles!

Mmmweed

Hi! Im new here, and am a first time 250W cab grower.
My plants have been growing for 3 weeks. I have a small problem, the leaves are starting to get yellow on the lower fanleaves of the plants. 3 out of 4 have started to get yellow and one is perfect.
I'll post some pics and stuff and see if somone could help me :)

So lets start.

ARE YOU USING?

SOIL: yes

How long has this problem been going on?
4 days
What STRAIN are you growing?
WW
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
Seed
What is the age of your plants?
3 weeks
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?
from the start
How Tall are the plants?
5-8 cm
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
Veg
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)
none so far
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
12 cm diameter atm so around 1 litre?
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture
random plant shop soil
are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
no, the soil was mixed with some leca..
What Nutrient's are you using?
nutrient stick with 10-2-7 on 2 of the plants(i placed them there only 2 days ago to see if there would be difference)
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
How often are you feeding?
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?
u place some water in a small test tube and drip some PH stuff on it to see.
How often are you watering?
everytime the soil gets dry, so around once a day or less.
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
What size bulb are you using?
250W MH or MPH (the one of them u use to veg)
What is the distance to the canopy?
30cm(recently lowered 1-2 days ago. before that i had around 40cm)
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
it was on 25-34% until 2 days ago when i put some humid stuff in there so now its up to 50%
What is the canopy temperature?
26-30C
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
23-28
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
i have a 250M^3/hour fan in a closet 60*60*150cm
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
ventilation running all the time pretty much.
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
a bit over the plants.
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
no
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
no clue
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
tap water with PH 7.5
Are you using water from a water softener?
no
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
no
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
no
Are plant's infected with pest's?
no

Pics:
http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img7988.jpg

http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img7987.jpg

Thx alot in advance!

Weedninja

I just typed out a detailed reply and the site managed to log me out and I lost it. Here is your new abbreviated reply courtesy of the new site software:

pH low. dolomitic lime will fix.

Mmmweed

but the ph from the runoff is at 6, do i have to make it even lower?
One of the plants now starts to get some brown on the leaf.

Weedninja

Sorry about not being clear enough. I meant that your pH is low and you will have to raise it. Your soil looks like almost straight peat, which is very acidic. Dolomitic lime is probably your best bet because although it takes longer to work, it lasts longer and is less apt to burn your plants than hydrated lime. It's also a good source of magnesium.

Mmmweed

I mixed the water with a small ammount of nutrients, and they immedieatl started growing again with about 3 cm (1 inch) on 8 hours. :D

realspringer

Hi Stitch..rs here..Was wondering if you would be so kind as to give your opinion...On what are otherwise heathly vibrant and (chem-d)green plants...2 weeks into veg from clones 14" tall..workin on 6th set of nodes besides th 2 they started with... ( no sighns of def/toxitity) The tips of new growth are corkscrewing..(like a piglets tail).. LOL....not curling up or down..no discoloration..just slight twisting 1 or 2 complete turns on some..not all..lower new growth..not affected..They are growing quite fast(1-2" a day...600hps. 16" above..in aeroflo..Flora nova grow @ 950 @ .7 conversion factor. tons of d/o..co2 1000....78-82 at leaf level...74-76 ambient...res temp..65-70..ph 58-6.0.. Nice roots.very slightly discolored from FNG..religously maintaind enviro...I'm an anal bitch...LOL....any thoughts doc???..IMHO..I thought zinc twist from excelerated grow rate...Thanks for your time...(ps..I looked at your great sick plant thread and didn't read or see anything like my symtoms) thanks again..rs..

Amphiphile

It is hard for me to be sure what has caused my defficiencies, I believe it's a combination of a number of things, but one primary reason I think is bad soil, BIO-BIZZ ALL-MIX IS A SOIL I'M NEVER GOING TO USE AGAIN, learned my lesson there.

My tap water has to high EC, bad when my soils EC is too high too.
I have had ph-problems, because of my water and soils high EC, and maybe a little overfeeding on my side.

Basically my plants have been really beautiful throughout my grow until about 3 weeks in bloom, where they stunted due to different things and their growth since then has been extremely small, close to none, but they aren't dead yet, just keeping them alive til harvest almost.

One of the main reasons I'm really displeased with the soil and believe this soil is a important factor in my plants condition is that I have a friend who has been using same soil and ferts, and he has been experiencing a very similar growth, everything was good until a couple of weeks in to bloom, and then shit got bad, defficiencies all over, and he has never spotted any bugs, so I don't blame my bugs for my defficiencies, I more see the bugs as an indicator of my soil being to sogg, but still I really hope that I can get rid of them and hope that the mosquito dunks will do the trick.

Damn, I really gotta start a thread on all that I have learned and therefore am gonna do different in the next grow instead of posting it here, and guess I will do a growjournal in the next grow, to prove that in can get better, lol.

Man, I'm another one who have to join the club "fooled by all-mix". I'm now experiencing EXACTLY the same situation... Incredible!
I'm actually growing 5 Skywalker by Dutch Passion and since my second week of flowering the lower leaves started to yellowing!
Reading about your problems helped me a lot, so I have to thank GoneGrowing for have made the question and of course I have to thank all the pep who ansered them.
A special thank to MyNameStitch for the trade.

psilomuffin

What is wrong with these ladies? help?

What is wrong with these ladies? help?

... No problems anymore, gave them more nutes and they started to grow fast and now they are flowering nice.

dri

thanks for the book stitch! purchased garden saver with a cannabis cookbook back in january. -both have come in handy!

prx

What STRAIN are you growing?.......................................... Chronic (Serious Seed)
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)...............................Seed
What is the age of your plants?........................................... ........... Flower 28 day, Vege 14 day
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower).........................................Flower
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)....................2.5 gallon pots (11L)
What substrate/medium are you using? (percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)....organic mix + 30% perlite
What Nutrient's are you using? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*..................BioCanna Flower
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?....................................../
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?............................................ . .......6.7
What method of pH test was administered?..................................... .......meter
When was your last water?............................................ ............... today
When was your last feeding?.......................................... ............... 5day back
What size bulb are you using?............................................ ...........600hps+400MH
What is the distance to the canopy?........................................... ...... 40-50cm
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)......................................... 33-46%
What is the canopy temperature?...................................... ...............24*C
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range).............................Day 28*C, Night 21*C
Res. Temp.=60f-65f
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)............................................fan works 24/7
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?........................................... ...yes
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?......................................moist
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?..................................NO
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?.............................no
Are plant's infected with pest's? .................................................. no

- fertilizer 1x per week

The problem I have appeared before 1 week :( What is wrong with the plant? Is it a lack of Mg or Cal?? Ph is stable 6.7

Peace,
Prx

DeezyH

ICMag Donor
Seedlings need help!! Think of the children!!!!!111

Seedlings need help!! Think of the children!!!!!111

Here's my problem: I planted my seeds and within 24 hours had my first set of baby leaves. Since then they have not done anything, and I am concerned there may be a problem. I just transplanted them into a well flushed coco/perlite mix (80/20) and now one seems to be yellowing at the tips. It looks like nute burn, but I flushed the coco really really well and the ppm read around 100. The roots also haven't grown out of the rockwool cube yet, so I am very concerned there may be an issue im not seeing?

Any ideas what it could be?

How long has this problem been going on?
Less than a week

What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm?
Flood Tables? and so on...)
Hand Watering

What STRAIN are you growing?
DP Orange

What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?)
Seed

What is the age of your plants?
Less than a week

How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..)
I just transplanted them into a coco/perlite mix

How tall are the plants?
inch and a half (seedlings)

What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
Seedling

What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.)
Rockwool cube

What is the Water temperature?
Room Temperature

How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
None so far

What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using?
PPM below 100

What is the pH of the "Tank"?
There is no tank, but the water PH is 5.6 and the runoff is 5.8ish

Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equipment?
Yes, well no. The ppm stick shit the bed.

When was your last watering?
When I transplanted, day 4 from planting.

What size bulb are you using?
600W MH

What is the distance to the canopy?
~
12"
What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)?
45%

What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range)
Lights on: 78F, Lights off 63-67F

What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
6" Vortex, 450CFM

Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
Fan is on when the lights are on

Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
There is a small clip fan blowing between the plants and light

Is your water HARD or SOFT?
Soft

What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
Distilled, very low ppm (near zero) and ph (5.6)

TheDude#1

Hope you can help!!!

Hope you can help!!!

Hey Stitch really hope you can help me with this one! I think i may already know what it is thats wrong but would like your opinon.
I think it is a P def due to cold weather and not being able to uptake oit due to the cold. I started another thread to see other people opinions, but you seem to know your stuff so i would like to hear your please!!!
So below are all the details, and cheers in advance m8!

How long has this problem been going on? 1 week
What STRAIN are you growing? velvet bud, but its also happening on a blueberry skunk
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) seed
What is the age of your plants? 41 days
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?2-3 weeks
How Tall are the plants? 1-2 feet
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? 2nd week of flower
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot) 15l
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)soil/plagron royalty mix
What Nutrient's are you using? plagron alga grow/bloom
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? half strength 2ml per liter

How often are you feeding? once per week
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients? 2 days ago
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect) it was just my gow into water, then now its just my bloom feed into water (out of the tap, but aged 2-3 days to evaporate chlorine)
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used? unknown
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"? 6.5
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen? Liquid tester
How often are you watering?2-3 times per week, when the soil is dryish
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding? yesterday and once per week
What size bulb are you using? 6oow
What is the distance to the canopy?was 40-50 cm but raised it upto 90-100cm incase it was heat stress but the problem continued so dont think it is, but the light is still 90-100cm away but i am going to lower again do you think that will be ok
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)30-45 day 50-70 night
What is the canopy temperature?23-28
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)day 23-28 and night 14-20
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) good air flow rate but

Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ? air is only extracted when lights are on but it is still able to intake when lights are off straight from outdoors.
Is the fan blowing directly at plants? It was but also moved it to just above where the light is 2-3 days ago and it has also made no difference, i dont think it is too hot.
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist? no
Is your water HARD or SOFT? unsure
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled?
Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water? Tap
Are you using water from a water softener? no
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? no
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when? no
Are plant's infected with pest's? no

Cheers again and hope you can help!!!!

Attachments

• (16).jpg
    (16).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 18
  • (25).jpg
    (25).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 13
  • (26).jpg
    (26).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 16
  • (19).jpg
    (19).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 19

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Deezy, your problem sounds like it's the result of low micronutrient content due to you using distilled water. Since your using rockwool/coco they only hold what you give them the liquid that is.

So stop using distilled and get some tap or some other water that is not that low ppm.
If you do not have that option, you may need to get some micro nutrients and had a small amount. 100 ppm is nothing it's a drop in a bucket, those cotyledons can only give them certain kinds of nutes, the rest they rely on stuff that comes from water or there environment, with them being in a controlled environment and mostly the medium you are using, you will need to suppliment with micronutrients. You have any pictures?

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Hey dude, sure I can help you out; but is there anyway you can take some of those pictures without the HPS light on? It's hard to see coloration/damage and so forth with the light on and not being able to see the colors of the plant.

Were those leaves affected longer than a week ago? I know you said a week it's been going on, but some of those leaves necrotic tissue look like it was more than a week, but like it would start/stop and then progressed is the middle plant the only area affected? Which strain has the most damage?

I am assuming blueberry right?

DeezyH

ICMag Donor
Deezy, your problem sounds like it's the result of low micronutrient content due to you using distilled water. Since your using rockwool/coco they only hold what you give them the liquid that is.

So stop using distilled and get some tap or some other water that is not that low ppm.
If you do not have that option, you may need to get some micro nutrients and had a small amount. 100 ppm is nothing it's a drop in a bucket, those cotyledons can only give them certain kinds of nutes, the rest they rely on stuff that comes from water or there environment, with them being in a controlled environment and mostly the medium you are using, you will need to suppliment with micronutrients. You have any pictures?

Stitch, thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately I have no camera, only a cell phone that takes horrible pictures. The best I could get was a very small green blur. But I will try to get some pics up.

The only nutes I have on hand are Flora Bloom and Gro, but I have canna specific nutes on the way (A+B, Rhiz, and Cal Mag). Would a little (1/8 tsp) flora gro work in the meantime or would I be causing more harm than good? My tap water has a ppm of 35 so its not really going to be much better than the distilled.

*Would transplating them to regular potting soil temporarily help with the nute deficiency?*

I am aware that my soil pH is acidic (4.6 from runoff). I found that out after I picked up my 3 in 1 digital tester Saturday. I was only measuring my water and nutes before feeding/watering. My question is how do I safely and properly raise the pH? I purchased some Hydrated Lime today and not sure whether to add to soil or mix in water. The mistake I made was to fill pots to rim with soil, so adding and mixing in soil will be an issue. I'm pretty sure the nutes are ok as I have leached twice. I am NOT adding anything until pH is fixed. I just purchased some CalMag Plus just in case there is a deficiency. Are there other supplements or nutes I should be using? The strains listed below are the ones I am having issues with, however, I am also growing Purple Urkel, Master Kush, Kaia Kush, Deep Chunk x Strawberry Cough, Jack the Ripper. Any advice will be appreciated.:wallbash: I meant to bring my camera home but left at my office. I can post some pics tomorrow if it will help and if I am permitted. Just found this site and have few posts.

ARE YOU USING?

SOIL:

How long has this problem been going on? Appx 1-1.5 weeks
What STRAIN are you growing? Super Silver Haze, Pre-98 Bubba and DJ's Flo.
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) SSH Seed, Others Clones
What is the age of your plants? SSH Just shy of 2 months, Others 1 month
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now? Since rooting SSH 6-7 weeks, Others 3 weeks
How Tall are the plants? SSH appx 18" Others appx 12-15"
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? Flower
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc) SCROG
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot) 1 per 4 gal
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?) Happy Frog
What Nutrient's are you using? None as of the last week. Used GH Pure Blend Pro Soil Grow + Bloom
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water?*Knowing the brand is very helpful* Veg: 2 tbs/gal PBP Grow, Transition: 1 tbs/gal PBP Grow + 1 tbs/gal PBP Bloom, and 1 feeding of 2 tbs/gal PBP Bloom (as label recommends)
How often are you feeding? Appx every 2-3 days. Stopped appx 7 days ago
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients? 7-10 days ago.
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect) Not sure what you mean
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used? N/A Just purchased Milwaukee 3 in 1 Digital Saturday.
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"? As of Sunday, 4.6 with distilled water w/no nutes
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen? Digital 3 in 1
How often are you watering? Appx every 2-3 days
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding? Appx 7-10 days ago every 2-3 days.
What size bulb are you using? 1000w
What is the distance to the canopy? Appx 24-36in
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity) Fluctuates from 45-70% (never below 45)
What is the canopy temperature? Appx 76degF
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range) D 76-80 N 68-70 (F)
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) 1 - 14" Oscillating fan med spd
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ? Have 6" duct from central HVAC system through reflector and out to hallway (fan running continuously while light is on)
Is the fan blowing directly at plants? Just enough to rattle leaves
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist? Moist to dry
Is your water HARD or SOFT? Hard
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water? Seeds/Clones - Bottled for first week or so, tap water up to appx 5-7 days ago. Bottled now.
Are you using water from a water softener? No
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? No
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when? None
Are plant's infected with pest's? No (not that i am aware)

TheDude#1

Hey stitch,
Should i keep posting my responses here yeah or on your page? New to this forum, but really like it, it has a good variation of topics and people are really friendly and helpful, which is great!!!
Anyway, the pictures taken of the yellow leafs were the 8th day since it had started! I will try to get some better pics for you.
The strain in the pics that is worse affected is velvet bud but it has just started on a blueberry skunk, on just 1 or 2 leafs and still very minor but there! I also have a big bang which dosent seem to be affected!
Basically i think it may be due to the temps being a little to cold and causing a P def and also maybe a little K def aswell due to a slightly low humidity for 2 or 3 days there and maybe im not feeding them as much as i should be as well. But dont know if you would agree or not!
Basically what had happened was i had started them in a different room and grown from seed for 4 weeks, then 2 week 2 days ago they went into my flower tent which i didnt know at the time had a toxic white floor part that was causing some offgasing and affecting all plants at the new growth making it yellow, so 9 or 10 days ago when i realised that i took the floor out to stop the off-gasing, (the rest of the tent is fine, it is silver lined), so now they are clearing up from the offgasing at the new growth etc but because of the yellowing of the leafs due to the gasing i didnt want to feed them incase it made them worse which i heard it does (its meant to make there food times tenfold and toxic to them) so now they are clearing up from the offgasing and needing food which they havent been getting as i havent been feeding them i think now they are starting to get a bit deficient as the food in the soil will prob also all be used up by now so they are just showing they need a feed so i hope now i am starting to feed them again they start to get better!
But i also want your opinion as i am a new grower and would like to hear from someone with experience, so many thanks again

P.S. how and where would i get a copy of your book stitch?

Latest posts

Latest posts