What's new

Split from : The Complete guide to Sick Plants,pH, and Pest troubles!

TheDude#1

Here are the pics here, forgot to add them with the last post!

Attachments

• Northern soul leaf curling & yellowing.jpg
    Northern soul leaf curling & yellowing.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 21
  • yellow leaf on blueberry skunk.jpg
    yellow leaf on blueberry skunk.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 15
  • yellowing of velvet bud.jpg
    yellowing of velvet bud.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Yellowing on tips & edges on BS.jpg
    Yellowing on tips & edges on BS.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 17

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Those are not good to use, they are the very basic reflector to use, they don't work too good in reflecting light and I have heard it can cause hot spots.........
Have you tested your humidity at night while this heater is on?
Plants will transpite more when it's hot and dry.

No way, those temps would be way too cold if you stopped using it...... is it winter where you are at?

no, your plants are starting to producing the buds, do not spray them, let alone to never spray them before while the lights are off, it does raise humidity, but it can trigger mildew and such.

What is the humidity without the heat fan on?
pictures 1 and 3..... are the in between veins the neon green? Lighter and brighter then the green that is around it?

those pictures you posted, that is an issue the plant had with something that was not present in it's diet, enough of it that is and was using stored nutes.... that is tissue the plant caused to die ,from the kind of nutrient it was missing.

You using any iron in your plants diet? From those pictures I do not see heat related issue....

Can you take a picture of the neon green color in between the leaf veins.... is the plant in picture 3 under the light or taller than others?

For which picture you posted, picture 1 is how tall and where is it at under the light and how close and picture 2 and so forth.,......

TheDude#1

Hey again m8,
So do you think i should stop using the heat shield then yeah?
The humidity at night when the heater is on is approx 50-60 and when its of it goes upto between 60-70, and in the daytime hours 40-45 and sometimes just under or above. The daytime temps are always between 22-28c during ther day and at night 16-22. but also at night the temps can go upto 28-29 for short periods when the fan is on, and i think that may be partly responsible for the problems, what do you think?
Ill get some more pics of the colour in between the leaf veins for you. The food i am using has iron in it and quite alot of other micro nutes and trace elements. Also some of the colourations of the leafs are where they might not have recovered properly from the off-gassing, could that be?
The plant in pic one is approx 2ft tall and approx 60-70 cm from the lamp, pic 2 is approx 2ft 6 inch tall and approx 40-50 cm from the lamp and the plant in pic 3 is approx the same height as pic 2 (2ft 6 inch) but it was the one closest to the fan heater if thats of any help.
I'll get some better pics posted soon and hopefully it'll help you better diagnos my problem(s).
Cheers again for all the help and advice m8!!!

popcorn

hairless buds

hairless buds

I have read your sick plant site, and many more. I have never heard of anything like this, or seen any pictures. I know my PH has been low, canna calls for a low PH. Its not like the buds are rotting. They are hairless but keep growing. pictures are under hairless buds. Thank you,

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
I would keep the shield, even though they do not even the light like other hoods, it's better than nothing at all with the way you have your setup.

Is your plants in or out of the hut now?
I have seen zinc/iron issues go away and the plant recovers it's green normal colors back......

If your plants are not in the tent how long thery have been out?
With those humidity levels you should not be seeing any issues, only the high humid levels without the heat is not good for flowering plants, that is in the danger level of producing molds/mildews..... Sounds like to me you will have to use the heater cause cold temps at that when it's night slows the plants metabolism down and can cause discoloration in newer to semi older leaves.....

I would remove them from the tent if not already removed, keep there temps at night 72 or higher and keep feeding the same way you are feeding.

I would try keeping the plants away from the heater, it's obvious that when they are near a heater like that your going to have some issues, because the close proximity of the plant and heater and the nature of the way heaters work.

Honestly, the way those plants look with the discolored leaves, I would first try to keep night temps up cause I know you said it got colder like 10c? or something like that?

THat is really cold and if you look at my sick plants guide you will see under temprature change at the last post in the thread and you will see what I am talking about.... but also if they are in the tent, remove them and keep temps up.... remove them for at least one week.

Cause with the nature of those tents and off gassing, espeically with some possibilities of heat causing the off gassing and no heat causing it, with so many different variables involved with the tents, the best way to find out is to remove them.

But since you also have cold night time temps you have no other choice, but to keep it.... you should not let your plants get colder than 65F but with the plants conditions do not let it go under 72

If they are removed, keep those temps up and see how they do in about 3-5 days you should notice a change; but since you also removed them from the tent it's going to be jarder to know which one caused what, unless when you put them back in the tent with the same temps and if they do start acting up again, you know it's the tent!

popcorn: I do not see any pictures, nor anything in your gallery of what you speak of.
Are you sure you are talking about a female plant? cause males have hairless buds....

popcorn

I have grown these out 3 times the 1st time I had 3 hairless buds. They all look the same when I cloan from them. which I did. So the next time I had 10 ect. now its the whole crop and it has spread to other strains. The yield was 6 under 4. These crops were grown in diferent potting soil, and I used differen food each crop. the only thing that was consistent between the crops were mesenger, and einstien oil. Thanks

Attachments

• pot2.jpg
    pot2.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 15

popcorn

Oh, I forgot to say there are no seeds. They get almost as big as the other buds, they have crystels, they just have no hair and are ugly.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
I had this problem with one of my first grows on one of my plants...... I never found out what actually caused this, cause my plant would get hairs but then they would die off.....

give me all grow info you got, one thing I did realize though is that I had her in a pot with 1 other plant and she eventually did not finish due to pot size.

The other strains you grew out before did they get this problem before or after your infected clones were introduced to the grow room?
looking to see if your cutters your using is sanitary, if it spreaded to other plants that never had it before it has to be bacteria related.... OR your enviromental setup is causing an issue....... pH and so forth, you state your pH is low....

I need a lot more info, because I am not sure what may be wrong by just looking at the picture, because that could be caused by 3 different things that lead up to this issue, but I think I may have an idea as to why it's doing this......
THat plant looks like it has nanners in there if so the plant is either not stable or is being stressed for some reason.

were any of these plants outside at all?
The main mother you clone from, is she around the other sick plants? If so is she showing the same signs now or no?

Cause for buds to die off, bacteria/virus or some nutrient related issue is seriously low, or severe rootbound....... Also can you get a closeup of the plant in letter C
Have you grown from seed without any issue when those plants are in the same area as the affected clones?

ARE YOU USING?

SOIL:

How long has this problem been going on?
What STRAIN are you growing?
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
What is the age of your plants?
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?
How Tall are the plants?
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
What Nutrient's are you using?
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
How often are you feeding?
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?
How often are you watering?
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
What size bulb are you using?
What is the distance to the canopy?
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
What is the canopy temperature?
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
Are you using water from a water softener?
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
Are plant's infected with pest's?

HYDROPONICS/Aero Ponics/Coco/Soiless/

How long has this problem been going on?
Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? (example: Hydrohut or any other non brand tents)
What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm? Flood Tables? and so on...)
What STRAIN are you growing?
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?)
What is the age of your plants?
How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..)
How tall are the plants?
What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using?
What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.)
What is the Water temperature?
What color are your roots? White? Brown? Are your roots slimy?
What Nutrient's are you using?(If growing soiless)
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
How often are you feeding? (If using soiless)
How often are you giving nutrients? (If using soiless)
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using?
What is the pH of the "Tank"?
Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equiptment?
When was your last watering?
What is your water temps?
When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional)
How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients?
What size bulb are you using?
What is the distance to the canopy?
What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)?
What is the canopy temperature?
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range)
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
Are you using water from a water softener?
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When?
Are plant's infected with pest's

Ok Stitch,

After flushing all my plants last weekend, they are now ready for a feeding. They all look MUCH better now and are growing like crazy. I took one of my Super Silver Haze and added some distilled water (I can't get a RO system for my water problem yet) and I took a sample of the first water to leak out. pH @ 5.1 (only up .10 from sample last week after flushing with 8 gallons) and TDS is at 640ppm. What should I do next? If I add hydrated lime like we last discussed, how much do I add to a 4 gal pot? Or, should I just mix it with water, and if so, how much per gallon? What about nutrients? They haven't had any for about 2 weeks now. I'm also running out of room. I have a 4x8 area with 1 - 1kw HPS and I'm trying to determine if I should get a light mover, another HPS or donate some of my plants to another patient to make room. I hate to do that but I have plenty.

Anyways, back to the feeding situation. What do you think? BTW I had to cancel my order for your book, didn't ship when they said it would, but am picking it up in L.A. tomorrow.

Last edited:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Popcorn, I also forgot to mention that your problem is also known as Airy buds...... do you know about this or no? if not I can explain what causes this......

You can add it too the water, but I find that it works better in the soil..... now with hydrated lime it's more readily available so it really does not matter if you do either one...

Now dolomite lime works better in the soil rather than mixing it with water....
Hydrated lime works quicker but does not last longer.

THats great to hear they look a lot better! If you add it to the top part of the soil, use 1 tablespoon per 2 gallons of soil.

Ya, places are having a hard time getting it, because my publisher had to go get a reprint already so I sold over 6,000 copies in 4 1/2 months which is not too shabby!

That is why shipping times are long, waiting to send out reprints.

First feeding should be weak, even though they were flushed; you want to give your plants ample time to adjust to feedings after the roots were injured.....

What fert you going to use? I looked back to try to find which one it was, but I might of missed it... sorry for asking you to repeat :(

I would use hydrated lime in with your water and not your soil......

TheDude#1

Hey Stitch,
i think you might have picked me up wrong on a couple of things. My tent is fine, it was the floor part that was the problem, i had put my plants in the tent about 4 weeks ago and within a week i started to see the signs of off-gassing. I read the white plastic floor were causing the problems so 2-3 weeks ago i removed the floor part and within a week a seen that the plants were starting to recover. So now i still have some older leaves that are still yellow and havent recovered and was wondering if the light colour of my plants was due to them not having fully reovered yet from the off-gassing or if they are short on some food elements and maybe need to be fed more often. Then i thought i should tell you about the heat etc incase that was an issue and maybe causing additional problems. Sorry if i have confused you. Also i do have a reflector, its a normal open ended one but i have a heat shiled attatched to the bottom of it. And can i also ask should i remove all the dead older leaves that havent reovered and all dead tips and edge's etc?
Cheers again Stitch btw mate, it really is appreciated m8!

Stitch,

Ok well I got anxious and decided to feed them before I got your response. I use PBP Bloom (soil). I added a spoonful of hyd lime to top of pot and covered with fresh potting soil and mixed the PBP Bloom at 1/4 strength (1/4 oz/gal), used 1 tsp/gal Cal Mag in distilled water and pH of nute solution was at 6.5.

Now I need to decide between a light mover or an extra light. I know I'd get better results with an additional light. But money is tight right now.

Thanks again!

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Light mover is good, but depending on how you have your growroom setup is what is going to be a factor in deciding which one to get.....
Light mover would be nice, because you got light into areas where there were none, on the other hand adding a light is good, but if you do not chop the lower branches off before going into flowering you would want to go with a light mover..... It really is personal preference too...... how do you have your grow room setup? You got a picture?

popcorn

Stitch, I havent written back because I'm waiting to get some photos, from someone else, my cloans, his grow. Im wondering if It could be some bud worm or virus? Ill explain latter.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
No, I think it has something to do with your environment or instability in the strain... you take clones from a bad plant and the clones carry a copy of a bad gene......

P

PolishBoyfriend

Hi
this is my first post on icmag. I didn't want to start a new thread so I'm posting my problem here instead.

I have a little problem with my Himalayan Gold from GreenHouse Co. I started from seed by about 10th of April, using 3:1 mix of standard garden soil (no chemical fertilizers in it) and perlite. pH of the soil is supposed to be like 5.5-6.5, but I've ordered a pH-meter via the internet today, just to be sure. I use >5 gallon (20 liters) container for this particular plant. I've grown outdoors from day one.

I'm using drinkable tap water (don't laugh, in Eastern Europe it isn't that obvious to have water drinkable without boiling it first) and natural fertilizer called Biohumus, which is quite popular in Poland. It's 7-3-3 N-P-K and has also 1100mg/l of CaO and 200mg/l of MgO. I've used the fertilized twice yet, once for a week. The manufacturer ensures that his product can't be overdone.

So, the tips of younger leaves (lower stay ok) are turning pale green - to yellow. Lower leaves stay unaffected. I don't think that the growth is stunned. I didn't notice any changes in my other plant, which is Shaman (Dutch Passion). I've added some dolomite a week ago cause I thought magnesium deficiency might be the case. Oh, I've first noticed the changes maybe a bit more than two weeks ago.

Well, I know that my plant is in quite early stage of grow, but this isn't my first grow and I've never had any trouble with such young plants. I almost totally f****d up my previous grow and I want to ask somebody more experienced instead of acting using my own impression and making things even worse ;).

Oh, I most forgot. There were some pretty low temperatures by night lately. In Poland we speak of "The Cold Gardeners", reffering to three cold nights that appear sooner or later - but always - every april or may in Poland. I think that temperature could fall to 32-35F (0-3C) for a short period of time during these nights. Now the weather is pretty fine, with 68-86F (20-30C) in the shade and >55F during the nights.

Any ideas what could cause the problem?

Oh, and sorry for my English. I sometimes dont know if I can correctly express myself ;).

here are some photos of the leaves

http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3621u.jpg
http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3622w.jpg

Stitch,

Youre book is so hard to find. But I'll get it eventually. I have some pics of the progress of some of the problem plants. I'll post them in an album in my profile. I think I can only add 4per post here. I'll let you know which album it is. I also have some pics of my room. I am going to widen it by 1 more foot and add a light this weekend. I just think the extra light will help more with the yield than the light mover can do, besides, I'd have to redo my ventillation to allow it to move freely. After this grow I am going to tear it down and redo it. Thanks again.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
My dny, ya it's sold out everywhere :( There will be a reprint in 1 week, so just wait a bit longer they are getting more copies printed, they are printed, just waiting to get them from the place they got them printed.

It's really started to pick up sales wise, high times did a review about it and ever since then it's been sold out..... :(

Hello polishboyfriend; welcome to icmag!
I looked at your pictures.... but the only thing I see is white spotting on the leaves.....

can you point out where your seeing the problem at?? Sorry to trouble you; I just can't see what you are talking about?

P

PolishBoyfriend

can you point out where your seeing the problem at?? Sorry to trouble you; I just can't see what you are talking about?
Well, maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'm 100% positive that the tips of the leaves are getting pale green to yellow. As I said, new and upper leaves appear with these changes, but lower stay unaffected.

I've marked them on the photo.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2843/beztytuuzvl.jpg

I've just got my pH-meter so I'll go to measure pH after I finish my work.

Oh and I have one more question for you, Stitch. Would you mind if I translate your guide to post it on Polish language forum? It could help many non-English speaking growers.

EDIT:
Well, I've checked on my plants and I think that the problem is gone, maybe it was Mg deficiency? Good, I've added that dolomite and ferts too. The soil's pH is approximately 6,1-6,2. If something comes up in the future, I'll be surely bothering you, Stitch ;). Thanks anyway.

Please tell me what do you think about your guide's translation. I have some free time, before exams in a few weeks (I'm doin' my masters in IT), so I could translate it even tomorrow.

Latest posts

Latest posts