What's new

Spikes and Layers?

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
This is more about letting the air out of the tire......

Spikes and flats....

I can see the guy's reasoning behind the method....it's just freaking silly to actually apply it and think it's any better than real life nature.

..and honestly the clumps of hot amendments won't be usable rootspace for indoor container cannabis cycles...as the plants roots will stay away from those areas.....the method may be more functional in an outdoor setting..in the ground where the roots can get away from the globs..or tap into the surrounding area of soil mass where the microbial life has been working on it...making it available in a more long term situation.....not really ideal for a 3 month indoor cannabis cycle.
Sure you can grow plants and have good results.....but the soil biology and actual physical reality begs to differ when up against a complete and balanced properly re-amended recycled organic living soil used in a potted indoor cannabis cycle.
..silly....more 'myth-based' cannabis gardening trying to get a foothold in the real world of gardening....yooze guys are fucking high~

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
...and honestly the clumps of hot amendments won't be usable rootspace for indoor container cannabis cycles...as the plants roots will stay away from those areas.....the method may be more functional in an outdoor setting..in the ground where the roots can get away from the globs..or tap into the surrounding area of soil mass where the microbial life has been working on it...making it available in a more long term situation.....not really ideal for a 3 month indoor cannabis cycle.

Agriculture vs. Horticulture

One area I can see where a spike would help is under a slow drip of water. I agree that hot amendments would throw a plant off. To me a good spike would be the original well composted already amended soil that is still leftover from the last up pot. Ive toyed with PVC tubes inserted into the soil at the up pot, that served as a watering method. But it would be easy to remove a tube at say, week three of flower and place fresh medium into it. Then direct the drip of water onto it from a system such as a Blu-Mat carrot. Thisaway the moisture would send a slow release 'tea' into the rootmass that has grown around the PVC pipe to give it a boost.

Gascanastan

Veteran
One area I can see where a spike would help is under a slow drip of water. I agree that hot amendments would throw a plant off. To me a good spike would be the original well composted already amended soil that is still leftover from the last up pot. Ive toyed with PVC tubes inserted into the soil at the up pot, that served as a watering method. But it would be easy to remove a tube at say, week three of flower and place fresh medium into it. Then direct the drip of water onto it from a system such as a Blu-Mat carrot. Thisaway the moisture would send a slow release 'tea' into the rootmass that has grown around the PVC pipe to give it a boost.

....makes a bit more sense.......or just top dress with a good compost and watch results happen in as little as 2 to 3 days.

I think it comes from that "Rev" guy from spunk the skunk magazine. He uses living soil and does these spikes and layers things....ridiculous IMO

Anything to put a spin on something and be the next..'Jorge'...who knows..seems pretty silly.

Yeah basically once I realized he had a book coming out that was being heavily promoted and the fact that I had to wait every month until a new article came out and buy a magazine. I saw the gimmick behind it. A lot of the info just didn't make sense to me. I know the right info is already out there so why wait?

I thank you guys for clearing up a lot of things for me. CC, Gascanastan, Jerry and everyone else have been a huge help.

Gascanastan

Veteran
Yeah basically once I realized he had a book coming out that was being heavily promoted and the fact that I had to wait every month until a new article came out and buy a magazine. I saw the gimmick behind it. A lot of the info just didn't make sense to me. I know the right info is already out there so why wait?

I thank you guys for clearing up a lot of things for me. CC, Gascanastan, Jerry and everyone else have been a huge help.

Personally I'm just sick of BS...every 3 days or so I talk personally with a different cannabis grower in the real world (mostly by accident) and the BS concerning bottled nutes,flushing,etc. that still has good solid people de-railed who are highly interested in organic gardening....but get hit with all this BS that is nothing more than reverberations and /or echos from the old High Times myth-based cannabis gardening paradigm...it sucks.

Well, I'm gonna have to disagree with most of you. What the Rev is trying to do is imitate nature. A plant grown naturally (without humans) is not going to have 100% homogeneous soil to grow in. That plant will encounter different pH, elements, and soil types as it throws its roots down. I really like to have the first gallon of soil at the bottom of my pots to be hotter than the rest of the mix. As far as "spikes" are concerned, I've only used them as maintenance on a couple really neglected plants that I thought were gonna be put outside. They are in 2gal pots, I peeled the container away from the root ball by squeezing and rotating the container. I then put 1tbs of HF 5-5-5 in the "crack" and tried to work it down as much as I could. These plants are doing so well I've decided to keep them indoors.
AllNatural, if you're see burnt leaf tips back off on your inputs a little bit. What exactly is it that you are unhappy about with your last grow? Yield? Flavor? Potency?

Gascanastan

Veteran
What exact soil from what region of the planet Earth is rev trying to imitate...what soil type?....what particular soil biosphere?

the yields have been miniscule using the rev's mix with spikes and layers. I have noticed my plants doing much better now that im using his mix recycled so maybe it just needed more time to breakdown. I do have 2 pots right now that are doing good that were spiked a little. My last two spiked containers. But i credit the success on this grow to the self watering containers that the rev suggested using. I must say that idea was pretty good and i do like the way my plants are growing in these self watering containers.

I have since added pumice, rice hulls, sand, charcoal and bentonite clay to rev's mix and I think this made it better. The rev mix alone to me was not loose enough and I think my plants were "suffocating" a little.

Gascanastan

Veteran
the yields have been miniscule using the rev's mix with spikes and layers. I have noticed my plants doing much better now that im using his mix recycled so maybe it just needed more time to breakdown. I do have 2 pots right now that are doing good that were spiked a little. My last two spiked containers. But i credit the success on this grow to the self watering containers that the rev suggested using. I must say that idea was pretty good and i do like the way my plants are growing in these self watering containers.

I have since added pumice, rice hulls, sand, charcoal and bentonite clay to rev's mix and I think this made it better. The rev mix alone to me was not loose enough and I think my plants were "suffocating" a little.
Sounds like more of an anaerobic environment eh...

3gunpete

For what it's worth. Yes rev contradicts himself. U can even almost hear him admit in every other issue that he's just staying a lesson or three ahead of his students. The guy is however very well versed. And regardless of the his motives there are bottom line concepts regarding "tlo" that have helped what I'm sure is thousands of easily brainwashed people. Hehe
Furthermore, he puts things in laymens terms so all the over medicated people in the culture can eventually, maybe remember some simple trueisms about "all naturale" style grow.
If nothing else some of his suggestions and claims have sent myself looking for more info and delving deeper into fact. As it has for u as well. So... Cheers mate! Enjoy the ride :ying:

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Rice Hulls......

Used at micro-breweries to filter the brew at some point or other (I'm not a brewery expert but that much I do know)

Used as bedding for livestock - farm or feed stores

It takes a couple of phone calls but it's not difficult to source. The major rice producing states are Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and California, i.e. the closer you are to those states the better chance you'll have sourcing them.

Stores catering to home brewers will have it but at higher prices than farm/feed stores. You might also check with a commercial micro-brewery in your area about getting the spent hulls as I 'believe' that they're a 'use once and toss' material but I could be wrong on that - I do know that spent hulls are easy to find at the breweries in Portland and surrounding areas.

HTH

CC

Gascanastan

Veteran
For what it's worth. Yes rev contradicts himself. U can even almost hear him admit in every other issue that he's just staying a lesson or three ahead of his students. The guy is however very well versed. And regardless of the his motives there are bottom line concepts regarding "tlo" that have helped what I'm sure is thousands of easily brainwashed people. Hehe
Furthermore, he puts things in laymens terms so all the over medicated people in the culture can eventually, maybe remember some simple trueisms about "all naturale" style grow.
If nothing else some of his suggestions and claims have sent myself looking for more info and delving deeper into fact. As it has for u as well. So... Cheers mate! Enjoy the ride :ying:

@ least he promotes living soil despite the stoner stuff....

Yeah exactly how I feel. Im not trying to knock the guy, he seems real cool and very nice. And he did get me steered on the right path towards organic growing so i thank him for that. It's all a learning process and im discovering more and more every day.

Scrappy4

Veteran
"the rev" has been known to post on these forums under other names on occasion. Ussually to drum up sales of his latest project. He gets outed regularly too. I have personally witnessed Cootz send him packing' wounded as it were. If you did a search under his real name you can find some older posts he has made on ganja forums. A while back he was a regular poster. Unless he got a lot smarter in a short amount of time he is just another grower. Not a bad guy or anything but someone without a background in horticulture, at least none more than an average grower. Most of his ideas are pretty much standard. To me what sets him apart is the fact that he is under pressure to come up with ideas to sell magazines. Understandable the guy has to eat. So in that light if this idea is legit, where is the science on it? Has it been studied under scientific standards? Another line of thought might be if he is a true guru, why is he writing for skunk magazine anyway? Scrappy

Latest posts

Latest posts