What's new

Spider mites AKA The Borg

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
from what i have read, mites were never a problem until the introduction of ddt... that fuk'd the good insects that ate the mites, and so they now thrive..

never had a problem out doors, but indoors they seem impossible to get rid of... b4 each grow we clean well, spray down the walls/floors with bleach, user a fogger twice , and will still have em during the grow... and spraying with neem, safer/etc does nothing.. neither does no-pest strips...

the only thing that has kept them at bay is floramite... we dip the clones, then spray 2-3 weeks in veg, and then again 1-2 weeks into flowering. this keeps em under control... but getting rid of em totally... we have not found the 'cure'

also hear that having some herbs, specially basil growing will draw em to the basil... goin to try this next grow...

Someone posted way back when about fogging the room with Co2 and I think that would work.. just need someone with co2 that can close out a room and try it

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Someone posted way back when about fogging the room with Co2 and I think that would work.. just need someone with co2 that can close out a room and try it
I threw 15 lbs of dry Ice in a tent and closed it up. It fogged out real well. Didnt bother the mites a bit

I used plant vitality once during veg. They are gone. I would never use it in bloom though. Allow 7-8 weeks for it to be gone.

Ive used Azamax,safer spray, Neem, etc. This one seems to have worked so far. Its been over a week, and I cant find any mites anymore.

I put my plants that were blooming outdoors in the weather. I did not spray them. They appear to have lost their mites as well. The mites dont like the cold or moist air.

dROpPm

Hey guys, I've read alot about Mite removal and control for veg and early flowering stages, I've noticed with my Big Buds that a small amount of my colas have spidermites on the underside of the leaves, the plants are on day 42 and has 2 weeks roughly left till they are done. What should i do? I've heard spraying is a no no, but id rather not let it get out of hand.

These are what I've already starting doing:
Ordered lady bugs should get here in 4 days or so
Transfered all other plants over to another area and cleaned the heck out of that location.

Thanks! really appreciate any feedback as this is my personal medicine and i take pride in good grown medicine

highbrid1

Hey guys, I've read alot about Mite removal and control for veg and early flowering stages, I've noticed with my Big Buds that a small amount of my colas have spidermites on the underside of the leaves, the plants are on day 42 and has 2 weeks roughly left till they are done. What should i do? I've heard spraying is a no no, but id rather not let it get out of hand.

Transfered all other plants over to another area and cleaned the heck out of that location.

Thanks! really appreciate any feedback as this is my personal medicine and i take pride in good grown medicine

Ya too late to spray bro. Basically you're alright until they start putting webs up and you should be able to hold them off for two weeks. If it's only a few leafs on a few plants, just use your thumb to crush any eggs or mites you see. Do that everyday and you should be alright. Removing leafs is also a solution. Even shaking the plants will knock alot of thos fukkers off. Also keep humidity higher if u can w/o rot. Keep the temps low as possible.

dROpPm

Highbrid, Rep + thanks for getting back to me so quickly. This is my first post after a year of research and you have not let me down. Thanks I now have confidence to ask more. Rock on! May your buds swell to the size of a small grapefruit :)

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Yeah, dont spray. they also dont like cold.

Grapefruits? How about footballs instead?

picture.php

Bobbo4200

Veteran
I've got the Mites!! I have been using Azatrol, but missed a couple doses-& now I have mites. I should have known to be more careful, since my friend has been battling them for a few months now ;o(
If I spray with Organocide morning, & night-is that gonna be too much stress?, causing the plant to Hermie?

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're going to use alcohol the strongest you want it is one part alcohol, one part water. I've done this with no ill effects. In veg you can also mist the plants twice a day to keep them down as they can't eat of reproduce in humid environments. That's why outdoor growers in rainy areas have no problem with them.

The best way to combat them I have found is to spray the plants with Azatrol/Azamax religiously every 7 days. If you do this they at least won't be destroying your plants and you won't see any after a few weeks. The problem is it seems if you get them once, regardless of how clean you keep things, they will be back. So spraying them is basically preventive mantienence........

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran

If you don't stop them, within a few days your entire plant and buds will be encased with webbing. And they will stop the plant right where it is. Nothing destroys a plant quicker than mites do.

You can take the plant and spray them off with water. This will slow them down but you don't want them to stay wet for days or you could get mold. After washing them off you could mist the plants once a day with water for a few days.....

highbrid1

Also, Ive learned that some aspirin in your water (150-200mg / gal) and silica blast make life more difficult for the mites. Anything that helps the plants immune system and makes them more hardy helps..

Bobbo4200

Veteran
So will spraying them morning & night be too much stress for my ladies?? Im using Azatrol in the dirt, & spraying with Organocide & switching off between a House & Garden 3 in 1 spray. The infestation doesnt seem to be too bad, I defoliated a bunch tough. What else should I do?? Thanks for the help, & the info!!!

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
A few days ago I bought some doktor doom spiter mite knock out insecticide plant spray.I carfuly read the back of the lable to see how to use this stuff and sprayed the grow space and the plants. So I wated to see if it worked the next day I saw that nothing happend. the mites r still there.

mine are 6 or so weeks into flowering.

Is there any thing else I can do.
now I keep it as cold as I can.
also I have been spraying with plain filtered water. it helps some but not that much. also I have been rubbing em off with me fingers. but I dont think Im getting there eggs.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Check the half life on the pesticide You used. I hope your running haze 16 week variety or else I would throw them away now. Poison on buds ? no good man.

ajc0k

i feel like i've tried everything.. lavender, floramite, avid, forbid... I sprayed them with forbid last night.. this morning they are still there, lots of them! what am i doing wrong? I turn off the 3000 watts vegging the girls, turn on my 400 watt mh so i can see just a bit, water PH'd 5.5, 1/4 tsp of forbid/gal. few drops of kirkland environmental friendly dish soap, spray them down.. lights off for 4 hours.. Could it be i'm not leaving them in the dark long enough? Do i need to completely saturate the plants? i spray them down pretty good.. Some of them were still a little wet this morning.. I FUCKING HATE MITES!!! my plants are extremely over vegged.. i think today i'm going to spend ALL day pruning them some more, then spray them down with forbid again to make sure. Then maybe Avid the next day.. I used floramite 3 days ago, they were laughing at me. i really can't keep vegging, i'll have to start throwing 2 foot tall plants out soon..

anybody tried skim milk and alot of patience ?
I wouldn't want any pesticides near the girls that late in flower and i'm not a manic organic.

ajc0k

do i need to buy a "sticker" like indicate5 or humboldt sticky? or will normal dish soap work fine? i don't know what else could be my problem..

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
The mites in parts of Cali are very resistant to many of the treatments we discuss in here. Dr. Doom just makes things worse. The mites lay all the eggs they can when they even get a sniff of that stuff. You then have to do it again at least once, probably twice, and they still come back. Azamax worked a bit until bud then they attack like crazyPrep before flowering. I used plant Vitality spray a month ago once, while in veg. Ive seen no mites since. And those were the Humboldt mites that can live through most anything. Good luck to You all. Dont get bummed out. Just learn, and take action at the right time.

I think I finally figured out how I got them in the first place.. I dont know how I didnt figure it out sooner but, ive come to the conclusion that ever since I got a dog, is right around when I first got the mites. It makes complete sense, the dog is outside 3-5 times a day and is curious so comes and checks out my situation, and brings the devil in with him.

if you have animals KEEP THEM AWAY FROM YOUR SHIT