What's new

Spider mites AKA The Borg

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
What concentrations of Floramite are people using?
The bottle says 1-3ml per gal, my hydro store guy says 5-10ml per gal.

SammyFarmer

Thanks for the tread and this forum in general, Ive learned so much stuff here its crazy.
Anyhow, Ive been fighting the Borg for a while and actually just lost a crop of really nice Bubba Kush´s just 2-3 months ago and now I found them a couple of weeks ago on all my 9 OG Kush´s that just been put to flower.

Anyhow, last time I just waited and the borg got the upper hand.. This time I was not gonna let that happen.. So I went to the growshop, bought some weapons and went to war. And won. This is what I used:

1. Take Down Garden Spray, bascially Pyrethrins and Canola oil, I sprayed the plants from top to bottom, under all leaves etc. Dont forget the medium and pots..

2. Next day most of them was gone but I gave them another go with the Take Down spray just incase.

3. SNS217, Spider Mite Control. Its a all natural spray, contains Rosemary Oil and mites seems to die from that shit too.

4. SM-90, In feed water and as a foilar spray. Contains Coriander and Canola oil.

5. Azatrol, In feeding water and as a foilar spray.

I will continue with Azatrol, SNS217 and SM-90 up to harvest. Havent found a spidermite in my growroom and it was pretty bad a couple of weeks ago.
I know this is over doing it but I prefer to hit them really hard during a week to completly wipe them out. My plants are doing just fine, no burns and no slowing in growth.

From now on I will always act like a got at least a mild spidermite infestation even if I havent seen the signs.

Good luck!!

compost

I never had them in 5 years of growing and I sprayed down my plants once a week with neem oil. I picked them up recently when I got some clones when I had a bunch of dudes instead of chicks. It was so easy to see they had spidermites even without a microscope. I had misted the clones and could see webs everywhere with tiny little dots on them. The undersides of the leafs were the same way. I sprayed them down with my neem, spinosad, and safer which I mix together. I haven't seen them around hoping I do get lucky not to pick them up. One thing for those who have problems with them is to use the sponge with whatever you are using to kill them. This will ensure you get a good coat on the bottom of the leafs.

medman225

hey guys

i didnt get to read the whole thread, but I wanted to add my 2 cents as Ive been battling sider mites ever since I got to california... and it came to the final battle a few weeks ago..

I started researching and found oUt about a product called SNS 217
so I started reading more about it, and find out its just basically rosemary oil extract for the most part... and some kind of emulsifier...
so I kept reading and come to find that these little bottles of this stUff is incredibly expensive, but works wonders, so alot of people choose to buy it anyway....
and a few guys on the boards starting trying their own easy at home mix... and the rosemary oil extract still seemed to do wonders(with an emulsifier also)...
so I decided to try it...
one gallon water
10 ml rosemary oil(from whole foods)
and i believe it was like 6.5 or 7 ml of any normal dishwasher soap(as the emulsifier)
U can also choose to add somethin to help prevent mold as U do have to wet the plant leaves and stems down and create a moist area(the mites cant really live in a highly wet area) i didnt use it in mine
it worked wonders from the first application(1 gallon=4 applications) and from then on the mite problem like disappeared... they really hate rosemary..... this is a really good way to Utilize something that wont be harmfUl to Ur lants... and ime has helped drive them away....
*please note if u have a serioUs infestation I am not going to tell u 100% this will fix it... however my infestation was baaad... plants were dying... and within a short period of time im seeing vigorous new growth

from what ive heard u can Use this 4-5 weeks into flower without affect on taste(so the person who said this said).... but I believe it... the rosemary may seem incredibly strong when first sprayed.... and it certainly is... but i find the smell to really die down after a few days like it was never there....
this isnt really a way to kill them, more away to drive them far away from the grow, and protect from future outbreaks....
for killing spider mites I also read a simple way to kill them is to add rUbbing alcohol to a gallon of water(the exact recipe is online search in google ull find it)
I also wanted to say I am in no way some epxert on this... I just am a humble icmag member who wanted to pass along something that worked for me regarding spider mites to those who would hear it...
peace guys!

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Steps from the get go

Steps from the get go

Spray down Your grow roon with a mild clorox solution.

Buy only quality grow mediums.

clean all grow pots with mild clorox or alcohol solution rinse well.

Dip any clones from dispensories in mild solution of Your choice. Pick one that kills mites and mold.

As plants progress, foliar feed with Brix mix weekly, especially under the leaves. alternate and use calcium folier feed.

You wont have any pests.

hey everybody DONT USE safegro insecticide its a cheap 6.99 one they sell at alot of grow shops..i sprayed my veg room with it and damn near killed everything, fan leaves develope burn spots and wilt off fast.

i love neem oil, but want to combine it with something. so i bought doctor doom fogger and also gonna get some azamax...

my spidermites are never that bad, i actually NEVER see them. but i see spots on my fan leaves which is telltale signs. i think i might have thrips instead of mites actually, the few bugs i found were tiny elongated and white. but i spray my plants down once a week with neem oil and its working but only controlling, i need to eliminate.

ajc0k

i fucking hate spider mites.. i have 60 plants in a stadium set up. i dunked each plant in a 5 gallon bucket with the last of my floramite 2 days ago, 1/2 tsp/gal.. major pain in the ass. i also threw 6 hot shot pest strips in the room, and zipped it up.. turned off all fans. got 2k watts in there keeping the room at 73 degrees, over 70 rh now. the smell of the strips is so strong makes me want to faint, yet the mites are still alive and kickin like no other.. hasn't slowed them down. it's funny because when i first used floramite in a little closet grow last year it knocked them down in a day.. now it's ineffective. super mites maybe, or floramite expired?? I looked on ebay to buy more floramite and some forbid, they no longer sell it to anyone in california, a new law passed in january i think.. god damn california.. now what do i do???!?! i think i'm going to pick up some azamax tomorrow and give it a go. i really can't afford to start over.. i can't let these fuckers win!!

ajc0k

I went to the hydro store today and picked up some goodies. More floramite, azamax and some avid. i just read on rez's forum how toxic the avid is.. fuck. anyone know the safe dose for azamax? How many ml per gal should i start with to safely foliar feed azamax? How many ml per gal for a soil drench?

filtr0w

hello everyone

there is no doubt this is spider mite, a friend of mine had this plant abandoned in his backyard, he gave it to me to try to save it but its definitely not worth it...

just wanted to post the pics, is not the worst ive seen, but pretty close...

aranha.jpg

aranha2.jpg

n

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another thing that will work is one part 90 percent rubbing alcohol and two parts water. I have a friend that kills them this way. He says you still have to keep an eye on them every few days and you have to make sure you spray the underside of leaves as well. He suggests wearing a mask as the smell can get strong....

I think the Government developed spider mites to kill plants, lol. There isn't a lot that can kill a crop as fast......

Last edited:

filtr0w

i was wondering if any of you guys had problems when spraying with alcohol, i did it on a few of the plants and they wilted somehow, all the leaves down, almost like underwatering, but it happened after i cleaned the underside of the leaves with some cotton and some 90% alcohol...

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I sprayed leaves with alcohol 91% and it killed the leaves.

Some people use Mectins to kill mites. They are a miticide. That may be what is in Avid. Plant Vitality has it.
You need to be very careful using these products. It is estimated to take between 7-8 weeks before all the mectins break down, and can no longer be found with a gas cromatograph.

Dont ever spray during bud with these type of products. I think they use the mectins for bird mites, though I may be wrong.

Good Luck in your battles

filtr0w

i have only used a cotton swab with some alcohol in it and it basically killed my plant :(, its completely fucked...

ive read in cervantes book that a good way to take the spider mites from the underside of the leaves was using this method, and a couple of hours after the planted wilted. now it looks really bad :(, i think i will have to can it...

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Well I too have the spider mites. not a whole lot of em but enough. and I have tryed every thing under the sun.
I cant use the fogers to get rid of em cuz my grow space is 4-5 feet away from my waterheater.

A few days ago I bought some doktor doom spiter mite knock out insecticide plant spray.I carfuly read the back of the lable to see how to use this stuff and sprayed the grow space and the plants. So I wated to see if it worked And nothing happend.
the mites r still there.

I feel really mad/sad about it.

also my outdoor plants dont have any bugs at all. why is this?
knock on wood.

well I just hope I can find some way to get rid of them.

Fresh Start

Felt like I had to add my experience with the borg, because I feel I put up a worthy fight. My plants had a deep infestation, webs that hung from the leaves like snot. Now, they're gone. Only good mite is a DEAD mite..

First, defoliated all my plants and pruned the crap outta them, got rid of a lot of mites that way. Then, I sprayed with Floramite. It took three sprays of that to get them to a diminished level and they were STILL kicking around, although retarded. THIS is when I had to kick um! Misted with Humtea between every pesticide administer to keep up the plant's immune system. Lastly, I sprayed with Avid. BLEW them the f*** up. Not seen a mite crawling around since. I can find larvae that have dried up on the underside of some leaves, but I'm keeping my plants in veg and defoliating AGAIN to make sure they are all gone. Its been a war, and its taking me longer to flip into flower, but its been a good lesson.

Latest posts

Latest posts