What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Southern Star Seeds Grow

G

Chopper Read

Chopper Read

I consider my self very lucky to be a holder of this plant.
Have been growing cannabis for 35 years now and this is one super cool variety.

picture.php

picture.php

G

Chopper Read

Chopper Read

Chopper is now in peak bloom and her pungent aroma wafts distinctly through the air.
Every time I smell this scent it brings a smile to my face and makes the world seem not too bad at all..

picture.php

Lesnah

Hopefully SS brings them back

He never really released them except a lucky few (like Uni above) who received freebies I believe. If I recall correctly, he had an issue with excessive rain which damped up his pollen donors, so he only salvaged a minimal amount of seeds.

Hi L yes that's us, keeper as in keepers in every pack but SS took it as wicket keeper hence the Yorker name! The last run we did was a 4SD Male x White Fire, Sour Bubble, Chem4OG, Fire Og x White Hp (gifted from Krome of Swampboys Seeds) 4SD (f2's) and a few others. The 4SD male reeked like an old school skunk from the 90's and had an amazing structure. When I found him I scrapped my plans to to a full room flower run and let him pollinate every keeper female I had. There's some really nice phenos popping up, I've found bang on Manderine smelling plants in the 4SD f2's that would give any of the tangie strains a run for there money. Strong terps and the high is blistering! Cheers Kit.

Good to know, hope to see some of your work soon.

@ Uni, chopper Read was a fuckin badass Modafocker mengg

Last edited:
G

Thank you ThaiBliss.
I enjoy growing this one much more than the "commercial" varieties.
It has a mysterious history which adds to the story, either way it's a ripper of a plant.

:tiphat:

kickarse

Thanks Lesnah, was wondering why I couldn't find it anywhere, starting to try SSS strains at the moment, wish I discovered the whole internet forums and seed buying thing years ago.
Lost all my good home grown strains and have to start again, SSS looks like a good place to start and hopefully finish, lots of nice stuff to try

idiit

Veteran
nanan bouclou update:

believe I've isolated the cts/png pheno pretty well. had pollen stored from a true breeding png/cts nld male to pollinate both png/cts nld females. no red colors though :

picture.php

png/cts flower close up:

picture.php

have a third female with a little bit of Haitian in her:

picture.php

PNG/Haitian (nanan bouclou, png dom )flower close up to see the difference:

picture.php

I've grown and smoked a png/Haitian (png/cts very dom like the one pictured above) pheno outdoors and it was very hardy, high yielding and great smoke. the terps were not what the commercial market here wants.

I get to smoke png/cts bud ( first two pics) for the first time pretty soon. until now I did not have a good female that was without visible Haitian influence.

idiit

Veteran
nanan bouclou png dom with a little Haitian influence is great outdoors. the terps are fine to me but not in line with what the commercial market here wants at the moment. she's very hardy, high yielding and the phenos can be pretty frosty when finished. real nice bud structure. great potency, great high effects by my standards. the market is really trendy imo and nanan bouclou hasn't broken into the "trendy scene". there are now other ppl who've grown out nanan bouclou and posted how good she is on other cannabis forums.

the Haitian doms are great for doing stuff while high. excellent task weed for example. the Haitian is not as hardy as the png/cts bud, has good commercial bud structure and good frost in the nanan bouclous. the Haitian improved with a decent cure. she tastes good by current commercial market standards and is good smoke after a couple months of cure time from my experiences with her.

I've got future breeding plans for png dom nanan bouclou with some Haitian influence like the third female I posted pics of.

all hail diva sativas! :) amen.

idiit

Veteran
the png and the png/Haitian are low odor in flower. lesnah has a better nose than me. i'll try to describe the bag smell when harvested.

Lesnah

I think I have mentioned this a few times in this thread or another but I'll try to chime in with my experience; albeit a cliff-noted version.

Haitian during veg(at least in my experience) smells like wintergreen bubblegum mixed with a general "herbal/basil" smell. Once cured, the bubblegum smell turns into a "White Sage/Lavender" aroma.

Cape Tribulation/PNG during veg(at least in my experience) smells of black pepper/citrus/guava/basil. Once cured, the guava aroma is enhanced. The flowers smell identical to Caribbean guava fruits.

idiit

Veteran
What did he say the herb was like? You can get great or just average plants from seeds from PNG, depending on the parents, both female and male. Grow them and see.....
If they are great and no male then transform the best female to male to pollinate all the females including the one transformed, keep all the females as clones until you decide which is best. I am not recommending that you make all female seeds, but you can save the best female, and save the PNG as pure PNG. And have more PNG seeds to find even better females with any luck.

-SamS
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=341810&page=3

close to my experience. some png's are great, except i've not had the chance yet to smoke nanan bouclou without Haitian influence. nanan bouclou png dom is very good imo. got two females very png dom ( no visible Haitian influence) revegging as the png seeds mature. then I take clones, harvest the png/png (by looks) seeds and put both png revegged mums outdoors. the indoor png buds will be coming in under 24 hr. light. still forming up but will soon go back into veg. and then revegged mums placed outside very early june.

the Australian growers have stated a few times that png seeds are still available. imo ppl need to get over the " png isn't in nanan bouclou" mindset.

Lesnah

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=341810&page=3

close to my experience. some png's are great, except i've not had the chance yet to smoke nanan bouclou without Haitian influence. nanan bouclou png dom is very good imo. got two females very png dom ( no visible Haitian influence) revegging as the png seeds mature. then I take clones, harvest the png/png (by looks) seeds and put both png revegged mums outdoors. the indoor png buds will be coming in under 24 hr. light. still forming up but will soon go back into veg. and then revegged mums placed outside very early june.

the Australian growers have stated a few times that png seeds are still available. imo ppl need to get over the " png isn't in nanan bouclou" mindset.

I have read that PNG seeds originally came from Northern Australia which in turn originally came from "Indian Hemp".

So one can argue that PNG and Queensland cannabis are considered the same "Genotype".

Within that Genotype of Southeast Asia/Oceania cultivars.....you will get various phenotypes, naturally.

Whatever the case, Nanan Bouclou is and always will be my signature strain. Nobody will be able to claim...."oh I have the same shit as you blah blah blah". "Nah bro, none of your gassy/cleaner shit comes close to my Guava/Sage smelling ganjah buds meant for smoking not "pre-run".

So Idiit, I'm with you on this one....PNG related or not, the NB is special.

H

hard rain

A few pics of Southern Star varieties. Firstly Texas Guinan and then Nanan Bouclou.
Texas Guinan, 12 weeks
picture.php
Nanan Bouclou 13 weeks
picture.php
Nanan Bouclou dried 12.5 wks
picture.php
Nanan Bouclou at 9 weeks
picture.php

H

hard rain

My small Southern star grow is nearly over. I am enjoying both varieties. Have harversted the earliest NB at 14 weeks and just starting to harvest the other at 15. Texas Guinan is 14 and nearly there hopefully. Still no sign of an amber trichome on either of the late flowers. I had a light leak and a couple of nanners but nothing to worry about.

Texas Guinan at 14 wks
picture.php

Nanan Bouclou early flowering at 13.5 weeks
picture.php

Dried NB harvested 15 wks
picture.php

So far I am loving the NB high. It is full bodied for a sativa, but the high is definitely sativa. Multidimensional type of high, positive, thought provoking. Slight disorientation similar to tripping. When you move your head your image seems to follow. It is relaxing though, not a terror sativa.
The later flowering one has a euphoria to it, that feeling like you are on a roller coaster. The later flowering one has developed deep red fan and bud leaves, ranging to purple, but not much on the buds.

The TG is later flowering than the advertised 9 weeks. It will be 15 at least. I am not complaining. So far what I have smoked is very sativa, stronger than NB, more focused and less multidimensional than the NB. Very much like something I might have bought in the 80's. I think it will turn out well.

Last edited:
Reactions: xet

Latest posts

Latest posts