What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Something wicked this way comes

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Does this bulkhead fitting cause standing water? It.looks like it would create maybe an 1/8" or so of water in the top container

yes, when empty.

but when the container is filled with medium the water is pulled over the edge and out via capillary siphon.

p0opstlnksal0t

yes, when empty.

but when the container is filled with medium the water is pulled over the edge and out via capillary siphon.

Sweet man.

I'm still not sure I understand this thing. When your pumps kick on and the water level in the booster buckets lowers doesn't your reservoir? When that happens won't your float level drop kicking on the auto top off? It seems like that would cause a flood if t h e res is being topped off simultaneously while your plants are getting pulsed and draining.

Mr Blah

Sweet man.

I'm still not sure I understand this thing. When your pumps kick on and the water level in the booster buckets lowers doesn't your reservoir? When that happens won't your float level drop kicking on the auto top off? It seems like that would cause a flood if t h e res is being topped off simultaneously while your plants are getting pulsed and draining.
If you take a look at his earlier threads it shows a plastic cereal box container in the control bucket that houses the float valve with a 1/16" hole in it to only allow a trickle at a time vs full open float valve every time the pump lowered the control bucket.
My thread https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=325682&page=12 post 115 shows the cereal bucket.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Sweet man.

you have recognized a problem that occurs in versions of this device that have a central pump. when a central pump is used and it is in the same reservoir as the float valve the water level is drawn down sharply and there begins an immediate heavy flow from the float valve.

creating an overfilled condition.

so the cereal container has a tiny hole drilled in the bottom and is mounted inside the reservoir with the float valve installed in it.

this causes a delayed drop in float container water level.

in my version you see here the individual plant reservoirs below each plant are overfilled after each pulse and the solution has no choice but to return to the central reservoir. this occurs slowly, over the course of an hour or more, because of volume and the limited flow rate of a 5/8" id hose.

when the pumps in the independent supply buckets fire the individual water levels go down and there begins a slow draw from the central reservoir. again mitigated by the constricted hose. taking time to accomplish.

but the central reservoir is comprised of multiple containers with a single hose connecting each to another. the exit container is 6 containers away from the input container so the net effect is almost zero vertical movement in the first container.

so we don't use a cereal box there.

i have 14 recirculating sites now in the veg room and 16 in the flower room. all running through the same central reservoir.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
here are some of the vegging plants showing their reaction to the main laterals being trained as flat as possible. each strain expresses uniquely. we are topping as early as possible at the 7th or 8th node then training them flat by pinching, bending, and tying. pulling short shoots up and tall ones down.

i am a newbie to scrogging so if anyone has any ideas i'm all ears.

when building the veg room we built an 8' x 8' room with a single ac/de fixture in it. we have set it up as an intermediate veg room to save space in the main veg room. the rooted clones are going here to gain some mass before being transplanted to the final container.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 20

p0opstlnksal0t

Badass man. I'm definitely thinking about doing this in my Maine grow. Have you ever tried this ppk in a vertical arrangement where you drop a bare bulb in the center of the plant?

It would be nice to have a hydro setup that could give me 32+ zips per plant every 9-10 weeks. Here in maine we can have 12 flowering and 24 veg plants for my wife and i, plus unlimited clones and seedlings under 12x12x12 inches. It's a pretty sweet deal. I've had been toying with ideas of 100 gal fabric pots drip irrigated under a supplemented greenhouse but this ppk looks sweet.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i've never put a bare bulb in the center of a single plant. if you look at the "a ppk for a 12 plant limit" thread you will see examples of just that.

i have been growing large trees indoors with bare vertical bulbs for a while. this is my first horizontal grow in 12 years.

p0opstlnksal0t

I gotcha. I'll definitely stick around to see what you are able to accomplish with a de and ppk. I'm pretty excited about this ppk being disabled and moving around 100 gal pots and dirt would be quite a chore this would really ease things up.

Mr Blah

Badass man. I'm definitely thinking about doing this in my Maine grow. Have you ever tried this ppk in a vertical arrangement where you drop a bare bulb in the center of the plant?

It would be nice to have a hydro setup that could give me 32+ zips per plant every 9-10 weeks. Here in maine we can have 12 flowering and 24 veg plants for my wife and i, plus unlimited clones and seedlings under 12x12x12 inches. It's a pretty sweet deal. I've had been toying with ideas of 100 gal fabric pots drip irrigated under a supplemented greenhouse but this ppk looks sweet.
I do vertical PPK and live in Maine.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Delta, do you still feed all the way until chop? Any flush or lowering of PPM's?

no, the whole flushing idea started with folks growing in hand watered pots of soil or potting soil who dried the medium down between waterings.

this drying accumulates salts in the medium.

in the ppk salts do not accumulate because we never let the medium dry down.

it is almost impossible to actually "flush" nutrients out of a plant. you can intentionally starve the plant to get it to use up internally stored nutrients by flushing the medium or inducing ph lockout.

DelTaco

no, the whole flushing idea started with folks growing in hand watered pots of soil or potting soil who dried the medium down between waterings.

this drying accumulates salts in the medium.

in the ppk salts do not accumulate because we never let the medium dry down.

it is almost impossible to actually "flush" nutrients out of a plant. you can intentionally starve the plant to get it to use up internally stored nutrients by flushing the medium or inducing ph lockout.

Ok what you say about the medium does make sense. Isn't flushing though just like you said...intentionally starving the plant of nutrients with the idea behind that being to improve flavor and smoke?

I ask you because you are much more experienced than me and you or the ppk crowd in genderal are the only ones that I know of that do not flush. From your experience choosing not to flush does not effect flavor or smoothness of smoke even though the plant still has saved nutrients in its tissues?

Sorry to derail your thread like this but I just finished my first run and I ran RO for the last 2 weeks because I was scared I would have bunk weed if I didn't and because of that my vegging plants are suffering since they are on the same res. I don't want a repeat of the same problem in future runs. Trying to decide on if I should have separate veg/flower reservoirs.

Ignor_Amus

D9:

This is coming from an older, engineering driven guy who's been out of the "hobby" for a long LONG time. I'm considering starting up again, so I came here to read up on current developments and procedures.

Being something of a "KISS" advocate myself, I can sincerely and deeply appreciate all the nuances of your PPK system. It looks to be one of the (if not THE) most innovative, simplistic, and well thought out hydro systems I've ever encountered. The fact that you are well versed in the physics/mechanics of how & why it works, and then are capable of eloquently (and freely) conveying this info to others speaks worlds about you.

Your additional commentary clearly indicates that you have not only a thorough knowledge base, but more importantly a broad and pervasively "global" conceptual understanding of how the disparate pieces (of growing) all fit together systemically. There is a lot of knowledge to be gleaned from this website, but you sir are a rare bird indeed!

Please keep up the good work, and best wishes to you!
Bravo, and Thank You! :tiphat:

Ok what you say about the medium does make sense. Isn't flushing though just like you said...intentionally starving the plant of nutrients with the idea behind that being to improve flavor and smoke?

I ask you because you are much more experienced than me and you or the ppk crowd in genderal are the only ones that I know of that do not flush. From your experience choosing not to flush does not effect flavor or smoothness of smoke even though the plant still has saved nutrients in its tissues?

Sorry to derail your thread like this but I just finished my first run and I ran RO for the last 2 weeks because I was scared I would have bunk weed if I didn't and because of that my vegging plants are suffering since they are on the same res. I don't want a repeat of the same problem in future runs. Trying to decide on if I should have separate veg/flower reservoirs.
the way i see it is all the vegetables and fruits you find in the supermarket were not flushed before harvest. doesnt seem to affect the taste if you ask me. or im pretty sure the entire agricultural industry would flush its crops if it did

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran

i think most people use the term "flush" to mean removing nutrients from the plant, not the medium. i was referring to it in that sense.

but, unless you have been radically overfeeding, you will not get a nutrient "flavor" in a ppk. what is a nutrient "flavor"? a harsh chemical taste?.

you will never get that in a ppk.

in your case you should run a separate veg reservoir just so you don't retard your vegging plants.

proper drying and curing do more for taste than "flushing".

we don't allow nutrient salts to build up in the ppk.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
D9:

This is coming from an older, engineering driven guy who's been out of the "hobby" for a long LONG time. I'm considering starting up again, so I came here to read up on current developments and procedures.

Being something of a "KISS" advocate myself, I can sincerely and deeply appreciate all the nuances of your PPK system. It looks to be one of the (if not THE) most innovative, simplistic, and well thought out hydro systems I've ever encountered. The fact that you are well versed in the physics/mechanics of how & why it works, and then are capable of eloquently (and freely) conveying this info to others speaks worlds about you.

Your additional commentary clearly indicates that you have not only a thorough knowledge base, but more importantly a broad and pervasively "global" conceptual understanding of how the disparate pieces (of growing) all fit together systemically. There is a lot of knowledge to be gleaned from this website, but you sir are a rare bird indeed!

thanks for all the kind words!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
D9:

so are youa gonna hobby up again?