What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Something wicked this way comes

DelTaco

the way i see it is all the vegetables and fruits you find in the supermarket were not flushed before harvest. doesnt seem to affect the taste if you ask me. or im pretty sure the entire agricultural industry would flush its crops if it did

i think most people use the term "flush" to mean removing nutrients from the plant, not the medium. i was referring to it in that sense.

but, unless you have been radically overfeeding, you will not get a nutrient "flavor" in a ppk. what is a nutrient "flavor"? a harsh chemical taste?.

you will never get that in a ppk.

in your case you should run a separate veg reservoir just so you don't retard your vegging plants.

proper drying and curing do more for taste than "flushing".

we don't allow nutrient salts to build up in the ppk.

Thanks for the feedback, next time I will try finishing without a flush and see what the quality is like. Take care.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
it's the old ppk grower's curse! too much time on my hands. nothing to do but watch, watch, watch!

these are from tonight.

the first 3 are in the flower room. we have 10 of the 16 sites here filled now. canopy shots of first a lodi dodi and then a gg#4 both flowered on the 7th which makes 19 days in.

the next 3 are in the intermediate room. the rooted clones go into these 2.5 quart containers about 2 weeks. long enough to fill these containers with roots. they will be topped here. this is a stand alone ppk recirculating system. only the best formed plants go forward from here to be transplanted.

#7 shows 3 tubs of clones. these are in passive wick fed ppk cloners. #8 and #9 are a lodi dodi clone about 18 days from striking. these are cloned in place, in the main veg room, with no domes, i want to emphasize that this technique not just develops roots but the clones add very significant mass during the rooting period. they start as tightly trimmed down 3 node cuttings. if you look at #8 and #9 again you can still see the original trimmed fans. notice no yellowing.

then the first of a bunch of veg room canopies in various stages. i'm finding it fascinating how the different strains react to training.

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 25

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
today marks 16 weeks or 112 days of running with no reservoir change. input only. with the exception being when a plant is moved out of it's position the bucket beneath it is scrubbed and dumped. that's 2.5 gals each time with 6 buckets each week being dumped for 15 gals total out of 364. or 4%

tonight the reservoir was 950 ppm at the .5 conversion and 5.6 ph with a solution temp of 82f.

Attachments

• IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 18

Ignor_Amus

so are youa gonna hobby up again?

I'm still weighing my options, researching... it's the due diligence phase.

D9's PPK methodology helps lean me in the direction of "yes", but I'm still not sure about jumping back in. I'm not looking at doing anything large scale; I'd want to keep myself below whatever plant count that will keep me legal. Or quasi-legal, as it were.

It is still SO hard for an old timer like me to wrap my head around the current state of affairs with legality and the openess displayed by many people. Hell, I went to a hydro store to look around for the first time in well over a decade, and I still parked 3 blocks away. Old habits die hard. (And paranoia runs deep?) If the shit hits the fan or the pendulum swings back the other way, I still feel like the people that are brazenly open about their activities will be the low-hanging fruit for the cops/Feds to pick off. I don't want to be harvested, I want to do the harvesting if you know what I mean. ;-)

it's the old ppk grower's curse! too much time on my hands. nothing to do but watch, watch, watch!

As curses go, that's a hell of a good one. If I jump back into things, I hope to be similarly "cursed". And thanks to your PPK baby, it makes that very feasible. Thank You!

Ignor_Amus

And I think I may owe D9 an apology:
I don't want to put too much of my irrelevant crap in your thread and clutter it up.

I'm tuned in like a hawk and watching. And from the peanut gallery, things are looking pretty damn good!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I'm still weighing my options, researching... it's the due diligence phase.

D9's PPK methodology helps lean me in the direction of "yes", but I'm still not sure about jumping back in. I'm not looking at doing anything large scale; I'd want to keep myself below whatever plant count that will keep me legal. Or quasi-legal, as it were.

It is still SO hard for an old timer like me to wrap my head around the current state of affairs with legality and the openess displayed by many people. Hell, I went to a hydro store to look around for the first time in well over a decade, and I still parked 3 blocks away. Old habits die hard. (And paranoia runs deep?) If the shit hits the fan or the pendulum swings back the other way, I still feel like the people that are brazenly open about their activities will be the low-hanging fruit for the cops/Feds to pick off. I don't want to be harvested, I want to do the harvesting if you know what I mean. ;-)

As curses go, that's a hell of a good one. If I jump back into things, I hope to be similarly "cursed". And thanks to your PPK baby, it makes that very feasible. Thank You!
I B 70 this year, "old timer".. and I agree about the low hanging fruit. EDIT: and paranoia is my middle name..

Ignor_Amus

I B 70 this year, "old timer".. and I agree about the low hanging fruit. EDIT: and paranoia is my middle name..

Ok, ok, you've got a few years on me. This isn't a competition, but want to compare notes on the paranoia?

I thought I was nuts to be looking at weed related websites, let alone post here. But then again, I bought a completely separate computer (and peripherals) just for this purpose. And I'm most assuredly NOT ever going to be using my own ISP connection.)

If I were into funny hats, mine would be made from several layers of heavy-duty tinfoil. And I'd live in a Faraday cage. :crazy:

Ignor_Amus

Those same concerns are the reason that a lifelong friend (one of the only to know my old secrets) had me design a 10K grow operation about 10+ years ago. It utilized several techniques that seem to be commonplace now, plus a couple other tricks to make it ultra, Ultra, ULTRA stealth. I even designed a way to completely hide/disperse the heat signature to something very plausible and non suspicious.

Therefore, FLIR was never a concern, and we joked about how if a K9 cop were to sniff around, he would maybe pee on the building before walking away.

And yes, I'm aware how over-confidence or cockiness is oftentimes the prelude to a disaster. But it really was THAT good. (But sadly gone now.)

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
112 day no rez change. holy crap....

of course this is with an initially very light increasing to moderate bio-load on it as i have built up plant count and size so we are not at full swing yet.

plant 11 is going into flower tonight and plant 12 tomorrow. the veg room has 14 positions on the main recirculating system now and going to 18 total soon. and the new flower room next door will add 12 more in flower.

that will be 46 total. i think at that point i will dump the res and refill with about 1000 ppm or ec 2 and start trying to balance it from there.

Speed of green

Do you feel the need for the increased ec is because of the DE lighting? Ive read many folks swear by the 1.2-1.4 ec for jacks. You will have plants in all stages of growth correct? i know some people drop the calnit after stretch, do you think that is unnecessary?

Grow space looks great, its obvious this isn't your first go-round. one day soon I'm going to build one of your contraptions. its a marvel of ingenuity, hats off to you D9.

p0opstlnksal0t

of course this is with an initially very light increasing to moderate bio-load on it as i have built up plant count and size so we are not at full swing yet.

It almost sounds like an aquaponics or fish aquarium system where you have a living breathing water system with beneficial bacteria, etc...

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Do you feel the need for the increased ec is because of the DE lighting? Ive read many folks swear by the 1.2-1.4 ec for jacks. You will have plants in all stages of growth correct? i know some people drop the calnit after stretch, do you think that is unnecessary?

Grow space looks great, its obvious this isn't your first go-round. one day soon I'm going to build one of your contraptions. its a marvel of ingenuity, hats off to you D9.

thank you! the lighting is definitely driving plant metabolism at a higher rate. so i started at about 600 ppm-1.2 ec and have began bumping it up a little at a time.

i'm now at 1050 ppm in the volume/feed tanks and running 950-980 ppm in the recirculating part.

initially with the first plants at 600 ppm some strains started showing mag def symptoms and others what looked like calcium def spotting. some purpling on the stems, all showing slower growth than usual.

i guess sometimes a deficiency is caused by plain old not giving them enough of something.

since i went to 1050 ppm i'm getting lush, high speed growth.

all the plants in both veg and flower, once transplanted into the recirculating part, are getting the same solution.

but it's still too early to make any conclusions about input strength because the system is not up to full load yet.

about cutting out calcinit. if we are talking about jack's 5-12-26, there is not enough nitrogen in the base formula to support mass building under intense lighting. nitrogen is the most mobile and it's the most rapidly depleted.

4 nitrogen atoms surround each magnesium atom in all chlorophyll molecule types. without adequate nitrogen you are limiting the production of synthate.

calcium is used to build cells and remember there is no calcium at all in the base formula.

but i can see reducing the amount of calcinit by a little maybe. but not much.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Not changing the reservoir also creates naturally occurring pgr's. Something most people that change the reservoir regularly will not experience. I've worked with huge swc systems in commercial farms that have NEVER changed the res water ever! With smashing results.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Not changing the reservoir also creates naturally occurring pgr's. Something most people that change the reservoir regularly will not experience. I've worked with huge swc systems in commercial farms that have NEVER changed the res water ever! With smashing results.
pgr's?