What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So your on a spaceship

Well actually, not really. You see we don't move in time, according to the theory. There is a different version of each of us at every point in time during our time line. So the concept of one going back or forward in time, becomes obsolete. Looking at a different point in time will mean looking at the version of people who exist in that point in time.
its an interesting concept. The only reason I like it so much is that you can plug almost any scientific theory into it and the are no conflicts.

Ok so we regard time as a dimension of spacetime hence it is then part of uniform fabric of the universe not as a thing moving about within it, so therefore although we are only having the experiences we have now like me typing this response in the "present" the "past" and the "future" are still there but inacessable as I'm here in this moment of spacetime but if this is to be true then I can move to any of the other points of spacetime (via wormholes), my birth is still there as is my death they are set points on the scale so my present is just that but it is different to your present. So if we are saying the time is just another dimension then I can time travel and this post although I have just wrote it in my present is already wrote though I'm not located at that point yet (though I will be shortly)

Is there a factor missing, in the theory of relativity. A constant that we don't see, so has no obvious effect when it's changed. As it's never changed. The interaction that gives mass a meaning. The relative difference between mass as we see it, and no mass. Is there, in fact, no mass. Or is it relative to our construct in the huge lattice of dark matter that makes up our nothing. If we could change the nothing. The part of relativity absent from our maths. Then light could go faster.

Well we know we can bend light and make it slower so we can change it, we know that we cannot go faster than light in a vacuum but surely then we can go faster in a different medium. So a particle in a vacuum will not be faster than light but the same particle in water will go faster, so yes change the nothing or vacuum and we can beat the light and as we can slow the light we can also make it faster, I'm also sure I read that some scientists where getting light to travel backwards! I think they also claimed they could get a pulse of light to go faster by a factor of 30 or close to it..

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Perhaps, racing particles around the bowl, their interaction with the nothing, eventually gets the nothing to move. Allowing the particle to go that bit faster. Unless the nothing isn't fluid at all, which seems unlikely. Perhaps we need to view the nothing, as something that will slam the brakes on harder as we try more. Mechanisms like the valances getting further out, so the electrons are moving faster to orbit a neucleus that's revolving no quicker. Making the main lattice of the nothing stay fixed while the energy is put into the valences. We could look at copper conducting electricity as an analogue. The electrons are getting moved about, but the copper doesn't even thin out with age.

St. Phatty

Light travelling at 186,000 miles per second, about 3 billion feet per second.

That is kind of a Keystone for understanding our universe.

It's not a coincidence that it worked out to that number (in a vacuum).

Light travelling at 186,000 miles per second, about 3 billion feet per second.

That is kind of a Keystone for understanding our universe.

It's not a coincidence that it worked out to that number (in a vacuum).

You will never reach the speed of light in the universe due to cosmic matter it isn't a vacuum. A cosmic ray sent out from a black hole would be the closet you'd get and my interest is inside the black hole as that along with neutron stars is where you'd find the strongest gravitational fields and in theory the strongest electromagnetic fields therefore particles there will accelerate and create the cosmic rays.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
So our nothing isn't stationary, and so something we can get moving. It's actually moving very fast in all directions. So if we move in one direction, we may get the nothing that's also going that way, to speed up. However the nothing coming towards us would be slowed down. Net result zero.
In this model, we would need to effect the perfect balance of nothing moving in all directions. To get an advantage in one direction. It's surprising that the planetary body below us isn't doing this. Even nothing can't ignore the planets effect being different than space. There must be constant tides of nothing eddying around to keep the local balance. So it's not rays. It's going to look more like magnetic lines in it's flow. The lower levels of nothing from beneath our feet, will need nothing rushing in from above our heads. This nothing that interacts with everything. So in this model, something we cant see is moving down through everything, interacting with everything in an unseen way. Dragging everything along in the direction. Towards the surface. That seems a lot like gravity to me.

All this nothing eddying around our core, as it flies through space. I wonder if it's heating us. Adding to our mass. Further increasing gravity. Onward, until we have a huge plasma like core that's like a sun, then greater still, until we are a black hole.

Sheesh. Physics. I prefer beer.

All this nothing eddying around our core, as it flies through space. I wonder if it's heating us. Adding to our mass. Further increasing gravity. Onward, until we have a huge plasma like core that's like a sun, then greater still, until we are a black hole.

Sheesh. Physics. I prefer beer.

I'd imagine it is, it's estimated that 50% of matter out there is plasma that got ionized by starlight, so any particle moving through the universe encounters these and other "stuff", so as the universe cools the speed should go up

Attachments

• mmm-beer.jpg
    mmm-beer.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 24

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Oh, so you're to blame for no season 4.
Killjoys. That's what we are left with.
I looked into the expanse. It was full of white south-Africans

shithawk420

Veteran
It's just too much.we base quantum physics on Einstein and math.but the problem is math can't lie but Einstein did.he was not that smart.his theories have already proven wrong.now that's what I call a parodox

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Ok so we regard time as a dimension of spacetime hence it is then part of uniform fabric of the universe not as a thing moving about within it, so therefore although we are only having the experiences we have now like me typing this response in the "present" the "past" and the "future" are still there but inacessable as I'm here in this moment of spacetime but if this is to be true then I can move to any of the other points of spacetime (via wormholes), my birth is still there as is my death they are set points on the scale so my present is just that but it is different to your present. So if we are saying the time is just another dimension then I can time travel and this post although I have just wrote it in my present is already wrote though I'm not located at that point yet (though I will be shortly)

You can't do anything mate, what will be, already is. You're talking like you're a free agent, you aren't, you are a statue located at a fixed location. You think you are reading this? No, that requires your movement through time. You are static in time, static in space. You remember what the other yous experience eternally, and that creates the perception that it was you, but as we can look through space without travelling through space, we remember backwards without ever having been there. Hence time travel becomes impossible as movement of any kind is impossible. Now whether later versions of you already exist in time locations prior to this one, I doubt it, I don't believe it, but if there is a location in space time in this time line that there is a you entering a time machine, then there must be. However to discuss that possibility we need to role play as if we can't see though the illusion of moving through time.

You talk as if you believe in the ether. Almost as if you believe in that balloon model of a universe. If we were to partake in that role play I would discuss the contents of the universe outside of the observable universe. I may play with the weight of the observable matter, and add a multiplier to the matter outside of the observable universe, and allow gravity to cause the increasing speed at which we are travelling away from each other. After all, if there is twice the matter that we think there is in the universe outside of the visible range, then gravity will not contract but expand the distances between what we can see. There is no requirement for magical ether.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
I few years back I was interested in physics and NAZI scientific research...rockets, generators. I eventually ended up in like a satanic world that was really frightening. Time travel is possible but it's all satanic rituals and stuff man

St. Phatty

I like the things work in the Harry Potter universe.

What speed do they travel at when they dis-apparate and apparate ?

You can't do anything mate, what will be, already is. You're talking like you're a free agent, you aren't, you are a statue located at a fixed location. You think you are reading this? No, that requires your movement through time. You are static in time, static in space. You remember what the other yous experience eternally, and that creates the perception that it was you, but as we can look through space without travelling through space, we remember backwards without ever having been there. Hence time travel becomes impossible as movement of any kind is impossible. Now whether later versions of you already exist in time locations prior to this one, I doubt it, I don't believe it, but if there is a location in space time in this time line that there is a you entering a time machine, then there must be. However to discuss that possibility we need to role play as if we can't see though the illusion of moving through time.

You talk as if you believe in the ether. Almost as if you believe in that balloon model of a universe. If we were to partake in that role play I would discuss the contents of the universe outside of the observable universe. I may play with the weight of the observable matter, and add a multiplier to the matter outside of the observable universe, and allow gravity to cause the increasing speed at which we are travelling away from each other. After all, if there is twice the matter that we think there is in the universe outside of the visible range, then gravity will not contract but expand the distances between what we can see. There is no requirement for magical ether.

hahaha of course you can, If you believe in Block time theory then that makes time travel possible, you are doing role play by believing in block time.
The current location doesn't exclude other locations they would be there at the same "time" being in the present location doesn't mean the past isn't happening it doesn't stand still, they are all relative to each other, eternalism if you like, even the proponent of the theory accepts this!! if I was to travel to the past well I already have so any actions are already built in, the only way to prove block theory would be to time travel, time still moves slower for a moving clock.

Why does time only move forward in the block? are we applying the 2nd law of thermo? is it just because we as humans have decided so we see ourselves age.
If that is so then why doesn't every process in the world work like that? movements of electrons in the ground state of an atom does not have anything to do with an increase of entropy as an atom in it's stable state is identical to the state they were in in billions of years back so do they not have a time axis? gets back to the Alice and Bob entanglement but anyway.

You seem to think that free will is not possible with a block universe? why is that? is it not the case that a decision I make will only have 1 outcome? there's no need for branching with various outcomes for instance I travel down a road to a fork with 4 roads leading somewhere only one can be picked and traveled down after I have picked it (free will) this surely fits into a block universe?

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
I never thy I'd say this but you guys are smoking too much weed.time travel is impossible.if it was possible you would die in the process.these theorist are fucking with you.they don't know shit either.stop listening to Neil Degrass tyson.hes an idiot too.we literally know nothing

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
All you have to do is look at the state of Jeremy Clarksons mouth - when hes doing over 100mph in a fast car - to know that we ain't made to go much faster -

ion

Courage is to brush aside everything that man has experienced and felt before you.
You are the only one, greater than all those things. Everything is finished, the whole
tradition is finished, however sacred and holy it may be – then only can you be yourself –
that is individuality. For the first time you become an individual. What you call ‘yourself’ is fear. The ‘you’ is born out of fear; it lives in fear, functions in fear and dies in fear

the UnGuru, dastardly dude he was.

this is a fun thread ya'll. follow the science!!

Latest posts

Latest posts