What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So, where did the different human races come from?

El Timbo

I'm not sure which way round to take that. Whether you're saying that we aren't apes, or that we are no different from say gorillas or whether you're saying we aren't all human. I guess in the grand scheme, all could be considered true.

I was just pointing out that ape, primate, mammal etc are merely human classifications - maybe instead of saying we are apes it might be more accurate to say we are classified as apes.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Well we are in so much as we are neither dolphins or birds. Would we say the thing at the bottom of the garden that is classified as a tree, or would we refer to that tree? If you stub your big toe on something, would you say " fuck! My toe", or "fuck, the largest protuberance from my foot, which is classified as a toe, though not similar in size to the others"? I mean, we have to accept a certain level of rounding down of accuracy for the sake of efficient communication, so long as we don't introduce inaccuracies. But yes, all of science both exists independently of human language, while requiring it to pass on the knowledge of it we have attained. That requires classifications to be made a la Aristotle et al.

El Timbo

Well we are in so much as we are neither dolphins or birds.

Yes we are clearly more closely related to chimps than we are to dolphins and that can be proved - what is subjective though is where we draw lines between members of different families.

I'm just rambling...

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Ah me too, I think we agree we aren't earth dwelling aliens, which is where this thread started.

Brother Nature

I see humans racing in different categories, F1 is the top open wheel category and holds as much as 22 races every year.
I'm also human so i like races, if you don't it shows how unhuman you are.

Cheers

I've always thought the Isle of Man TT is the best race, but maybe that's me just being racist.

Latest posts

Latest posts